Nirvana

I just sang unplugged and i swore i was Kurt Cobain but ya know I'm just shyner

I missed the other Nirvana thread. 

What's your favorite Nirvana moment ?

I'll take something's in the way and about a girl. 
I can play both on guitar. 

Love to all. 

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited September 2017
    I would loved to have seen Kurt do this:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Favorite Nirvana moment? Hmmm?  I have two.

When the bass hits Crist in the head when he threw it up in the air on National television and Where did you Sleep Last Night on Unplugged.

Favorite studio?  Sliver and Radio Friendly Shifter Unit.

Come as You Are will always be my Go To song though
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Personal favorite moment:
    My sister used her weekly allowance late fall 1991 and picked up Nevermind on tape at the mall. I remember my Mom picking us up from the mall on that Friday night. She sat up front with Mom, slipped the newly purchased tape into the deck and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' just seared through the car speakers. Head banging ensued but I didn't quite get into them heavily until In Utero - plus in 1992 I fell in love with Pearl Jam! Favorite song? I don't really have one to be honest. I actually like them all! I go in phases with their catalog, but my go to is Unplugged. I carried that tape around in my walkman most of my sophomore year of high school and into that summer.

www.cluthelee.com
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Favorite moment might have to be at a show in Texas where Kurt jumps into the crowd, the bouncer seems to push Kurt back as he's trying to get back on stage, and Kurt smacks the guy in the side of the head with his guitar.  

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter is a great song.  My fav would have to be either Breed, or Very Ape.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    My favourite Nirvana moment.   The VHS tape they put out, where Kurt squishes a lemon and says "with a twist of lemon".  I found that super humerous in my youth :)

I wish I listened to Nirvana more, but they were such a shortlived band.  Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide, and In Utero.

After a while with a lack of new content, I started to listen to them less and less.  If I do turn them on it's usually bleach or unplugged.  I love the rawness of Bleach.  I also really like the punk covers on hormoaning/incesticide (Mollys Lips and Turnaround).  I play those all the time.

I think I listened to Nevermind too much when I was younger.  It's like Ten.   I overplayed it, the radio overplayed it, so I rarely listen to it anymore.

• Zod said:
    My favourite Nirvana moment.   The VHS tape they put out, where Kurt squishes a lemon and says "with a twist of lemon".  I found that super humerous in my youth :)

I wish I listened to Nirvana more, but they were such a shortlived band.  Bleach, Nevermind, Incesticide, and In Utero.

After a while with a lack of new content, I started to listen to them less and less.  If I do turn them on it's usually bleach or unplugged.  I love the rawness of Bleach.  I also really like the punk covers on hormoaning/incesticide (Mollys Lips and Turnaround).  I play those all the time.

I think I listened to Nevermind too much when I was younger.  It's like Ten.   I overplayed it, the radio overplayed it, so I rarely listen to it anymore.

Lack of new music was a real downer and why I stopped listening too, then You Know You're Right came out! 

Man what a smack in the face it was to hear that voice in a song I wasn't familiar with!  To think that they only had one damn song like that is painful.  I had so much hope that there was more somewhere...
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    edited September 2017
    Aneurysm is my fave, "Come on over and do the twist!" That's pure genius in a punk rock song..
    Post edited by reesdog on
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    reesdog said:
    Aneurysm is my fave, "Come on over and do the twist!" That's pure genius is a punk rock song..
    I always think of that song this time of year because it was released on 10/01. Played that a lot 21 years ago in my teenage heyday. Sad to think they'd already been done for 2 years at that point and Foo Fighters already had an album out.

Always loved Polly, Dumb, All Apologies and The Man Who Sold the World. Really showed the beauty that Kurt's voice could reach. If I had to choose one it would be All Apologies. That and Daughter dominated radio in summer of '94. Two songs I never get tired of hearing.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    reesdog said:
    Aneurysm is my fave, "Come on over and do the twist!" That's pure genius is a punk rock song..
    I always think of that song this time of year because it was released on 10/01. Played that a lot 21 years ago in my teenage heyday. Sad to think they'd already been done for 2 years at that point and Foo Fighters already had an album out.

Always loved Polly, Dumb, All Apologies and The Man Who Sold the World. Really showed the beauty that Kurt's voice could reach. If I had to choose one it would be All Apologies. That and Daughter dominated radio in summer of '94. Two songs I never get tired of hearing.

My other Incesticide gem was this one.  I always loved the build up to it and the rumbling guitar.

Thx for sharing.
  • I always thought Dive was an underrated tune on Incesticide. 
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    I always thought Dive was an underrated tune on Incesticide. 
    Absolutely agree. In fact Incesticide is a very underrated album..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • reesdog said:
    Yes, for sure.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Best opener for any album up to this point in music shyner history. https://youtu.be/hGzyKJQgAA8
  • A Mike Patton FanA Mike Patton Fan Near Milwaukee Posts: 30
    This:

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    happy birthday KC
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• reesdog said:
    Big Long Now is a riff that gets stuck in my head from time to time even if I go years without listening to it....

But I'll be listening to it in about 30 minutes because I just threw Incesticide on YouTube. That'll get me through part of my morning. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Shyner said:
    One of my favorites. Chris Jericho's podcast once had an episode where they compared Nevermind to In Utero track-by-track. Fun listen...but they shit all over Frances Farmer...to my displeasure. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Shyner said:
    One of my favorites. Chris Jericho's podcast once had an episode where they compared Nevermind to In Utero track-by-track. Fun listen...but they shit all over Frances Farmer...to my displeasure. 
    Was always one of my favorite songs.

"I miss the comfort in being sad...."
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Are there any good live versions of Frances Farmer... out there? It wasn't played in concert very often but I'd love to hear/have one.
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Drain You is the song that turned into fav over the years
    Drain You is the song that turned into fav over the years
    This (Drain You), Breed, and On A Plain are "underrated" gems from Nevermind. I still really did the four singles but SLTS has run its course...although it really was magical the first time I ever heard it back in 1991.
  • rummy said:
    Are there any good live versions of Frances Farmer... out there? It wasn't played in concert very often but I'd love to hear/have one.
    Here's one...followed by a favorite B-side of mine: Sappy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RcwPwbpig

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I liked Nirvana quite a lot when I was 15-16-17 years old.  Most of it makes my ears bleed now.  I still dig Nevermind and I honestly don't care that it's their commercial lovechild, it's still their best album by a long shot.  Was always a big fan of Lounge Act and Drain You.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I could watch this on repeat, pretty much all day.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
     Agreed!

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

It's amazing that this is only a b-side, isn't it?
    I liked Nirvana quite a lot when I was 15-16-17 years old.  Most of it makes my ears bleed now.  I still dig Nevermind and I honestly don't care that it's their commercial lovechild, it's still their best album by a long shot.  Was always a big fan of Lounge Act and Drain You.
    Tough call in their best album. Both Nevermind and In Utero are fantastic - just like Ten and Vs.
  • rummy said:

It's amazing that this is only a b-side, isn't it?
    There's a version that's a Nevermind  B-side (I think on an import version of Smells Like Teen Spirit) and a different version that is on Incesticide. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited February 2019
    I know it is a comp record and people don't like them but I listen to Incesticide more than any other record of theirs.

The love he receives is the love that is saved