Off the Radar.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

"LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

Unknown to the boys, a bomb had exploded in another car.

“I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

“One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• brianlux said:
    Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

"LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

“I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

“One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."

Yes I read about this and yes it got very little out of us here.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    brianlux said:

Was this really "off the radar" in the US? This got HUGE amounts of coverage in Canada. Well, in any case, nobody was killed, thankfully, so that is probably why it didn't get as much coverage as terrorist attacks in countries where the majority of people are white usually do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Was this really "off the radar" in the US? This got HUGE amounts of coverage in Canada. Well, in any case, nobody was killed, thankfully, so that is probably why it didn't get as much coverage as terrorist attacks in countries where the majority of people are white usually do.
    Everything in the US is off the radar unless it is about US. 

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but not much.  We are Narcissist Nation.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    And even Houston, with its crocs and bacteria and 10 million square feet of rotting sheet- what do we hear?  Nada.

edited September 2017
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    And even Houston, with its crocs and bacteria and 10 million square feet of rotting sheet- what do we hear?  Nada.
    For sure. SO many scary warnings that nobody seems to care about. All over the board. There is a big concern about the massive explosion of the mosquito population and how that will spread disease, Zika for example, and yeah, all the chemicals and pollution, etc etc etc. Not to mention the consequences on mental health.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    There's always the astrodome...

tRump is America's Katrina
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    There's always the astrodome...

tRump is America's Katrina
    Yeah, speaking of bacteria... TheRump!

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    brianlux:

I read an artikle earlier about the Trumpet. After 4 days he finally (if needed at all) called our German Chancellor to congratulate for getting reelected. 
    You know... it's not an issue at all that he won't call like others do, just because it's good behaviour or whatever ;)
    According to the governments speaker the main reason was politics about Northkorea and Iran... haha... so he just quickly mentioned it.
    But seriously, the Artikel wasn't blaming him or something, it just made clear that nobody was expecting his call anymore...
    And hey: It wouldn't have been the Trumpet if he didn't mention the longtime great and close relationship between our Countries and the common fight for peace and prosperity..... :o  After making all the relationships over the world so difficult...
    Too bad the article is written in German. 

So yes Brian... he is a bacteria... 
    I know it's actually not worth talking about, but it just would not make it's way over the big ocean...
    kce8 said:
    brianlux:

I read an artikle earlier about the Trumpet. After 4 days he finally (if needed at all) called our German Chancellor to congratulate for getting reelected. 
    You know... it's not an issue at all that he won't call like others do, just because it's good behaviour or whatever ;)
    According to the governments speaker the main reason was politics about Northkorea and Iran... haha... so he just quickly mentioned it.
    But seriously, the Artikel wasn't blaming him or something, it just made clear that nobody was expecting his call anymore...
    And hey: It wouldn't have been the Trumpet if he didn't mention the longtime great and close relationship between our Countries and the common fight for peace and prosperity..... :o  After making all the relationships over the world so difficult...
    Too bad the article is written in German. 

So yes Brian... he is a bacteria... 
    I know it's actually not worth talking about, but it just would not make it's way over the big ocean...
    Trumpet man will only make calls if he has to save face.  But then again, I'm guessing a lot people wouldn't want to hear from him anyway.

It's not that hard to know what is going on in the world but it takes more than listening to CNN or FOX or whatever.  It helps to check out places like The Guardian, BBC News, Democracy Today.

And, of course, The Onion.  :lol:

There was an terrorist attack in Edmonton, Alberta on Saturday night. Cop attacked and civilians run over. Very much under the radar, obviously, and was before last night happened too.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Agreed. If it would be mentioned the last line would be no Americans were injured
  • That always pisses me off on the news here" no British amongst the dead" like the nationally of a victim is in some way superior to another race or nationality. Dear oh dear the world we live in baffles me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    That always pisses me off on the news here" no British amongst the dead" like the nationally of a victim is in some way superior to another race or nationality. Dear oh dear the world we live in baffles me.
    So many people are still hugely jingoistic, nationalistic and prejudiced.  ItT's mind boggling.