Good News

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I don't mind shedding a few tears over something that beautiful. Thanks for posting those big kitties...they have lots of love. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Kat said:
    I don't mind shedding a few tears over something that beautiful. Thanks for posting those big kitties...they have lots of love. :)

And sharp-ass claws.  Did you see her shirt?

I'll always be a sucker for that Christian the Lion clip, reuniting with his human friends.

(jesus, at the 3:00 mark?! - talk about shedding tears)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sju3kSTAzdI

I only made it to 40 seconds. Tears are good for a keyboard, right? Thanks, Hedo, just beautiful.

• Beautiful animals.

I am wondering aloud: lions are social creatures and can see how those bonds develop given their nature... are tigers (more solitary) capable of such strong connections with humans?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Beautiful animals.

I am wondering aloud: lions are social creatures and can see how those bonds develop given their nature... are tigers (more solitary) capable of such strong connections with humans?
    Yes :)

• hedonist said:
    Beautiful animals.

Yes :)

Such powerful, majestic animals. I love tigers.

Hedo... if you haven't read 'The Tiger'... do so immediately. Absolutely awesome.
    I just searched it out, Thirty.  Shall be on my next Amazon order!
  • hedonist said:
    I just searched it out, Thirty.  Shall be on my next Amazon order!
    Beauty! I haven't given you a bum steer and I expect a comprehensive review within a month.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    if you don't know what this feels like I recommend visiting your local shelter, if you cannot adopt then consider fostering, if neither volunteering

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    JC29856 said:
    if you don't know what this feels like I recommend visiting your local shelter, if you cannot adopt then consider fostering, if neither volunteering

Sweet!  All my pets have been rescues.  The only way to go for me.  :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Americans always amaze me!

https://www.gofundme.com/paypal-me-4pawsfarminc

$25k goal, already at $122k
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    Well I don't know if you all think this is even news, let alone good news (from back in March), but I think it is. I like this shit - I want some!! Vantablack: The blackest material on Earth. Wow! That isn't photoshopped!

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-object-has-been-sprayed-with-the-world-s-blackest-pigment-and-it-s-freaking-us-out

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited September 2017
    can teach this breed anything except typing

edited September 2017
    Well, um, it's not BAD news.... hard to call something that so clearly highlights the fact that the suppression of women is still by far the greatest human rights violation happening in the world and hardly anyone even thinks about it most of the time, but ..... The Saudi government says it will make driving legal for women, so yay? It's certainly good news compared to them saying they still won't be able to, right? (really I just couldn't find another thread that this story would fit into...... because there is no reasonably recent thread specifically about the worst human rights crisis on the face of the planet, or at least I didn't see one).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2017/09/26/saudi-government-says-it-will-allow-women-to-drive-for-the-first-time/?utm_term=.f633264c8d63&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-world%2Bnation&wpmk=1

Saudi government says it will allow women to drive for the first time

Writer Washington Post Staff September 26 at 3:26 PM

King Salman decreed that a government body draw up guidelines and implement the policy by next June, according to state media. The conservative Muslim kingdom has been criticized around the world for banning women from driving.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    You beat me to it and this is the thread I thought of too. :) In a country that has so far to go in a better direction, this is a step and that's good news. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Whoa!  That's great news!  Way to go Saudis!  Now keep the momentum!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, um, it's not BAD news.... hard to call something that so clearly highlights the fact that the suppression of women is still by far the greatest human rights violation happening in the world and hardly anyone even thinks about it most of the time, but ..... The Saudi government says it will make driving legal for women, so yay? It's certainly good news compared to them saying they still won't be able to, right? (really I just couldn't find another thread that this story would fit into...... because there is no reasonably recent thread specifically about the worst human rights crisis on the face of the planet, or at least I didn't see one).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2017/09/26/saudi-government-says-it-will-allow-women-to-drive-for-the-first-time/?utm_term=.f633264c8d63&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-world%2Bnation&wpmk=1

King Salman decreed that a government body draw up guidelines and implement the policy by next June, according to state media. The conservative Muslim kingdom has been criticized around the world for banning women from driving.

I heard an interesting radio program on the CBC a few days ago. It was an interview with a Saudi film maker who has a film out (fiction) that draws on her experience, and those of women she knows, growing up and living in Saudi Arabia. She talked at length about how the inability to drive affects so many areas of life. Women are "allowed" to work in many fields, but if they can't drive themselves to work, and there is little or no public transit, how do they get there? They have to rely on their male relatives being willing, or hire drivers. There is apparently a major underground economy in drivers, and since Saudi women don't get paid much, they tend to hire the dregs of the drivers, who are chronically late, disrespectful, etc.

And even if they are not working outside the home, how do Saudi women get their kids to school, if school is further away than one can easily walk? So the children may be late to school, or miss school.

It really affects all areas of their lives.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Our local news ran a piece this morning about Daryl Davis - first time I'd heard of the guy, but wow.  Quite the man.

(only thing I don't get is why the KKK dudes are still in "uniform" while posing with him)

Anyway, very cool.  All hope is never lost...and music is yet again a gorgeous bond.

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544861933/how-one-man-convinced-200-ku-klux-klan-members-to-give-up-their-robes
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I heard an interesting radio program on the CBC a few days ago. It was an interview with a Saudi film maker who has a film out (fiction) that draws on her experience, and those of women she knows, growing up and living in Saudi Arabia. She talked at length about how the inability to drive affects so many areas of life. Women are "allowed" to work in many fields, but if they can't drive themselves to work, and there is little or no public transit, how do they get there? They have to rely on their male relatives being willing, or hire drivers. There is apparently a major underground economy in drivers, and since Saudi women don't get paid much, they tend to hire the dregs of the drivers, who are chronically late, disrespectful, etc.

And even if they are not working outside the home, how do Saudi women get their kids to school, if school is further away than one can easily walk? So the children may be late to school, or miss school.

It really affects all areas of their lives.
    Yes indeed. Let's just keep in mind that while they may be allowed by the government to drive, that does not in any way mean they will necessarily be allowed to. Most will still have to be accompanied by a man, and plenty of the men who are controlling them (husbands, fathers, whoever) won't let them drive anyhow, or will make it so restrictive that there is hardly any point. I know this is supposed to be a good news thread, and yeah, this is of course one step in the right direction, but it's still important to acknowledge that just being legally allowed to do something doesn't always mean a whole hell of a lot for many of these women, depending on their circumstances.
    But yeah, I'm not meaning to dismiss the importance of the ruling... let's hope it sticks. It doesn't take much in places where religion rules for things like this to jump backwards again.
    edited September 2017
    And here is some more on this Saudi thing.... just FYI, the trending hashtag in the hours following the driving announcement was #thewomenofmyhousewillnotdrive :frowning:
    Also, while the majority of university students there are women, only 15% of the workforce is female. Wowee. If it weren't for oil, their economy would be FUCKED.
    But anyway, there is also good news in this article. That stat about the population age is crazy - 70% of the Saudi population is under 30???? What? If that's true, that is crazy. But also a good thing, for them, all things considered. Wtf happened to all the older people though??

https://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21729721-bigger-changes-are-needed-ultraconservative-kingdom-saudi-arabia-will?cid1=cust/ddnew/email/n/n/20170927n/owned/n/n/ddnew/n/n/n/nna/Daily_Dispatch/email&etear=dailydispatch

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I haven't yet read your article, PJ Soul, but will later. I did want to comment that I've read that the major "driver" of the change in driving laws is indeed concern about the economy, not any sense of fairness or respect for human equality. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited September 2017
    I haven't yet read your article, PJ Soul, but will later. I did want to comment that I've read that the major "driver" of the change in driving laws is indeed concern about the economy, not any sense of fairness or respect for human equality. 
    Yes, that does seem to mostly be true at the end of the day, although I don't really know anything about this Prince who is apparently running the show and forcing change, so can't say what all of his motivations are. Economy is obviously top of the list for him too though.... I mean, he's likely realized that every 3rd world nation on the face of the planet has one thing in common: the lack of rights for females and their participation in society.
    What is really hard for me to swallow with many of these Sharia nations is that these restrictions for women are often very modern developments. Fucking church and state - probably the most dangerous combo in the world.... the USA is kind of on that dangerous track too, which is so disturbing.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    With so many asshats in the NFL always making headlines for the wrong reasons, it was refreshing to see this rookie give his first professional game check to 3 cafeteria ladies that we're affected by Harvey. Classy move.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20841443/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-donates-game-check-three-women-impacted-hurricane-harvey
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Good News....Suck Blue, all of you!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Sacre Bleu!

Can we give a high-paw to Frida for her work in Mexico City?

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:
    Sacre Bleu!

Can we give a high-paw to Frida for her work in Mexico City?

Oh my! My new favorite super hero!