Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Since the right extremists always likes to say things like "If you don't like it, leave" I have one thing to say to them:

If you want to live in a country where saluting the flag is mandatory, move to North Korea.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:
    "Draft Dodging Donnie"

It's a response so simple its stupid. Fight fire with fire. You get hundreds of players only calling Trump as "Draft Dodging Donnie" and his head will explode in rage.  Hit him right in the gut for trying to defend the flag when records prove he avoided defending the flag.  

I dont have have means of social media to spread this nickname but by god it is so obvious.  Spread the dumb word. 

• Options
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Dodge the draft and make fun of a POW.
    His shame knows no bounds.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Taking a knee while wearing Presidential medal of Freedom...

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Bill Russell is incredible.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    PJPOWER said:
    So the Millennials talked and laughed during the song in 1954? Entitled brats.  
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    i guess taking a knee is the new ice bucket challenge where we will see every celebrity out taking a knee?  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/opinions/first-amendment-football-protest-callan-opinion/index.html

this opinion piece is complete rubbish. extending similarities between football players kneeling during the anthem and a store clerk doing the same during their shift is laughable. the anthem is not played prior to their shift, and if it was, they'd be well within their right to kneel. THEY AREN'T YET ON THE CLOCK. I can kneel on my lunchbreak all I fucking want. During a meeting? probably not so much. But the players aren't doing it on a 2nd and 7 from the 43rd yard line and disrupting the game. it's prior to kickoff. 

how stupid. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    pjhawks said:
    i guess taking a knee is the new ice bucket challenge where we will see every celebrity out taking a knee?  
    I doubt it has the staying power to last an entire month like the ice bucket. A month from now, this will be backpage news and we'll be back to about 3 people kneeling during the anthem. Our country loves a trend. Remember the Women's March? Nobody has the time or commitment to go all in. It's too bad we can't make it more impactful long term. The owners were smart to get on board with this up front because they know it's a short game in the long con of their entire industry. One of the many reasons our extinction is in the crosshairs (metaphorically and literally speaking). We have the ability for forethought, but it is oven over ruled by present desire. Do it now and then on to the next thing.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    I doubt it has the staying power to last an entire month like the ice bucket. A month from now, this will be backpage news and we'll be back to about 3 people kneeling during the anthem. Our country loves a trend. Remember the Women's March? Nobody has the time or commitment to go all in. It's too bad we can't make it more impactful long term. The owners were smart to get on board with this up front because they know it's a short game in the long con of their entire industry. One of the many reasons our extinction is in the crosshairs (metaphorically and literally speaking). We have the ability for forethought, but it is oven over ruled by present desire. Do it now and then on to the next thing.
    That's because with Trump, there's a new thing every other day.  It's hard to keep up with all the shits he takes on the Constitution and the American people.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Nice to know that you view protesting racial injustice as equal to an internet meme.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    pjhawks said:
    Totally typical alt-right/Trump supporter tactic to belittle and demean the peaceful protest in the name of real, important issues that align with the US Constitution, especially if the issue is connected to race relations and civil rights of minority groups.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    Totally typical alt-right/Trump supporter tactic to belittle and demean the peaceful protest in the name of real, important issues that align with the US Constitution, especially if the issue is connected to race relations and civil rights of minority groups.
    surprised he didn't thrown in a "snowflake" comment. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Is it wrong to respect the handful of players who were taking a knee prior to this weekend, but laugh at all the bandwagon jumpers who have miraculously discovered their social consciences because they feel it's safe to protest the sitting president (but screw solidarity on the police brutality issue)? Personally I'm glad to see the backlash against players and teams (though in today's biased media world, it's difficult to actually gauge how widespread these protests are).

I tried watching Colbert's opening monologue and the man is simply insufferable in his disdain for Trump, and no longer cares about presenting the truth if he can make Trump into a white hood wearing Nazi.  Our media here north of the border isn't much better either.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    Is it wrong to respect the handful of players who were taking a knee prior to this weekend, but laugh at all the bandwagon jumpers who have miraculously discovered their social consciences because they feel it's safe to protest the sitting president (but screw solidarity on the police brutality issue)? Personally I'm glad to see the backlash against players and teams (though in today's biased media world, it's difficult to actually gauge how widespread these protests are).

I tried watching Colbert's opening monologue and the man is simply insufferable in his disdain for Trump, and no longer cares about presenting the truth if he can make Trump into a white hood wearing Nazi.  Our media here north of the border isn't much better either.
    Do you realize Cobert is a comedian and not a reporter? LOL
  • Options

it's not being a bandwagon jumper if it is in direct response to another act that reinforces the issue being brought to the forefront; i.e: Trump doesn't fucking get it that this isn't about the flag, or patriotism, etc, it's about protesting the country's inability to engage in any meaningful dialogue that will contribute to dealing with the problem that is systemic racism in the law enforcement community and the public's and government's apathy towards it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited September 2017

I personally see absolutely NOTHING wrong with people showing support for a cause that some other people started. That is how it always works. People see what others are doing, think about that issue, and realize that they really support what they're saying so they get on board too. I think that is a positive thing, not something to laugh at. If people didn't do that, protest would never lead to anything. And I think it's dismissive to say that these people "miraculously discovered their social consciences". You have no idea what the beliefs of those people are, or what they've done otherwise to voice those views or take action outside of this particular display of protest. And for those who haven't done anything... it is a good thing if they were inspired to think more about these issues because of what others did. We don't come out of the womb with our views. Every day is a new opportunity to develop our beliefs and join causes that we weren't very aware of before.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    except i'm no where near a Trump supporter.  I am disgusted by his behavior as any one is and i can't fathom 60 million people voting for such a piece of garbage.  I was just asking a question wondering if we will start seeing every celeb taking pictures of themselves kneeling.  Id' rather Bill Russell and all these other celebs actually do something to help instead of taking pictures of themselves. we live the selfie-generation so it shouldn't surprise me.  i'd much rather see something like below than pictures.  buy hey that's just me.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/chris-long-putting-my-money-where-my-mouth-donation-game-checks

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:
    Nice to know that you view protesting racial injustice as equal to an internet meme.
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    Not sure it was meant that way, might have been some exasperated sarcasm.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

There is no wrong time to stand up (or take a knee) for what's right.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    except i'm no where near a Trump supporter.  I am disgusted by his behavior as any one is and i can't fathom 60 million people voting for such a piece of garbage.  I was just asking a question wondering if we will start seeing every celeb taking pictures of themselves kneeling.  Id' rather Bill Russell and all these other celebs actually do something to help instead of taking pictures of themselves. we live the selfie-generation so it shouldn't surprise me.  i'd much rather see something like below than pictures.  buy hey that's just me.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/chris-long-putting-my-money-where-my-mouth-donation-game-checks

but part of any campaign of protest is optics of solidarity. the more people that simply show their support, the more that campaign can grow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414

I do realize that and allow him (and other comedians) certain latitude because of that role, but he (and many, if not every late night host) seem to have abandoned even lip service to the truth.  I've yet to hear/see a direct link between Trump's comments and race, yet Colbert was basically saying the only reason Trump made those comments was racism.  He could have addressed it much differently while still making Trump look bad, but chose to go low, in my opinion, only giving fuel for Trump's supporters (though I doubt many of those are watching Colbert these days, lol).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

I didn't say you were a Trump supporter. I said it's typical of his ilk. If  you're not a Trump supporter, it's probably good for you to know that your immediate reaction aligns with theirs.
  • Options

I do realize that and allow him (and other comedians) certain latitude because of that role, but he (and many, if not every late night host) seem to have abandoned even lip service to the truth.  I've yet to hear/see a direct link between Trump's comments and race, yet Colbert was basically saying the only reason Trump made those comments was racism.  He could have addressed it much differently while still making Trump look bad, but chose to go low, in my opinion, only giving fuel for Trump's supporters (though I doubt many of those are watching Colbert these days, lol).
    he said there are many good people who were marching with white supremacists. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

I didn't say you were a Trump supporter. I said it's typical of his ilk. If  you're not a Trump supporter, it's probably good for you to know that your immediate reaction aligns with theirs.
    no where did i say these current celebs taking a knee was wrong (still don't think you should do it during the anthem but totally get it this past week in the wake of Trump's comments) . all i said was after someone posted a pic of Bill Russell is i guess we will start seeing all these celebs showing pics of themselves doing it. so far I've already seen Eddie, Roger Walters, Dave Matthews, Stevie Wonder and now Bill Russell.  whose next?  shall we bet on who is next?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:

no where did i say these current celebs taking a knee was wrong (still don't think you should do it during the anthem but totally get it this past week in the wake of Trump's comments) . all i said was after someone posted a pic of Bill Russell is i guess we will start seeing all these celebs showing pics of themselves doing it. so far I've already seen Eddie, Roger Walters, Dave Matthews, Stevie Wonder and now Bill Russell.  whose next?  shall we bet on who is next?
    I see where you are coming from, but I think you are still attempting to belittle the movement. Those celebrities took a knee and now look how many of us are talking about it. Just by taking a knee they put a large influence on the conversation. I'm not saying that there aren't more powerful ways to participate, but for a celebrity, even a selfie can make huge changes.