Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^^^I really Dig all of those songs you guys mentioned from Stadium Arcadium^^^^
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    One of the top shows I saw this year and I saw a lot!!!
  • ^All that :bow:  Definitely my favorite RHCP album.
    It's all just so good. Turn it Again...holy fireballs!
    And my daughter's favorite song off that album, Slow Cheetah....one of the coolest song on Earth.

* I watched the Desecration Smile video on YouTube a couple years ago. Fantastic song and great video. I never knew the video existed until I stumbled across it.  At one point J. Fru plays the air keyboard. That has to be my favorite part. :lol:

Turn it Again is a great tune as well. We have similar tastes when it comes to this band.

How cool is Animal Bar?  

As much as I like to be nauseatingly argumentative with my heels dug right in... I am not trying to be when I say I disagree with the people when they say there is filler on Stadium. I think it is the band's opus (not trying to take anything away from their other works which are mostly awesome). I think it's one of the best albums of all time- a 'lost on an island' selection for sure.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • And the band has aged so well- the last album was genuinely fantastic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    edited September 2017
    Love Stadium Arcadium. Will forever remind me of being 16 years old and blaring it in my buddy's car all summer. Have to give the edge to the Mars disc overall but I don't agree with the argument that it has a lot of filler.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^^^ Couldn't agree with you all more.
    #nofiller :smiley:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Gotta keep these guys on page 1. Listened to The Getaway again this morning. Still an awesome album and even more so on a hot fall day. The album fit my mood and the weather perfectly.

I also started combing through their back catalog and listened to the first 4 albums in their entirety for the first time the other day. Always great to track the progression of a band into greatness. This week, I'll be working through the more familiar music of Blood, Sugar, Sex Magic onward.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    ^All that :bow:  Definitely my favorite RHCP album.
    It's all just so good. Turn it Again...holy fireballs!
    And my daughter's favorite song off that album, Slow Cheetah....one of the coolest song on Earth.

* I watched the Desecration Smile video on YouTube a couple years ago. Fantastic song and great video. I never knew the video existed until I stumbled across it.  At one point J. Fru plays the air keyboard. That has to be my favorite part. :lol:

Turn it Again is a great tune as well. We have similar tastes when it comes to this band.

How cool is Animal Bar?  

As much as I like to be nauseatingly argumentative with my heels dug right in... I am not trying to be when I say I disagree with the people when they say there is filler on Stadium. I think it is the band's opus (not trying to take anything away from their other works which are mostly awesome). I think it's one of the best albums of all time- a 'lost on an island' selection for sure.
    Just noticed your Animal Bar comment.... that's a whole lotta fun right there. Great jam. Love those nasally J. Fru background vocals..Ba bada ba, ba bada ba!

Love how the song changes... very beautiful at times and then of course there are those lyrics!

"Read between the sky and every piece of the Earth!"

tbergs said:
    Gotta keep these guys on page 1. Listened to The Getaway again this morning. Still an awesome album and even more so on a hot fall day. The album fit my mood and the weather perfectly.

I also started combing through their back catalog and listened to the first 4 albums in their entirety for the first time the other day. Always great to track the progression of a band into greatness. This week, I'll be working through the more familiar music of Blood, Sugar, Sex Magic onward.
    Nice :hang_loose: 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    dpduke69 said:
    Love Stadium Arcadium. Will forever remind me of being 16 years old and blaring it in my buddy's car all summer. Have to give the edge to the Mars disc overall but I don't agree with the argument that it has a lot of filler.
    I think filler is a bit strong in this case. I mean, take a 30 song run from any band and there are going to be a few that I’m less enthused about. They could’ve weeded out a few that sound alike but not enough to get it down to a single album.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ok, so "Pretty Little Ditty" from Mother's Milk? Has a little riff that I recognize was used in some other song in the 90s. What was that song? Come my lady, come come my lady, something something butterfly?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Ok, so "Pretty Little Ditty" from Mother's Milk? Has a little riff that I recognize was used in some other song in the 90s. What was that song? Come my lady, come come my lady, something something butterfly?
    I believe the name of that song was "Barf."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Funny, I spent about 20 minutes the other day replaying that guitar lick trying to think of where I'd heard it before. I thought it was another RHCP song, but those lyrics just reminded me it's from "Butterfly" by Crazy Town.
    tbergs said:
    Funny, I spent about 20 minutes the other day replaying that guitar lick trying to think of where I'd heard it before. I thought it was another RHCP song, but those lyrics just reminded me it's from "Butterfly" by Crazy Town.
    Thanks! I worked in a record store and fielded thousands of questions just like that, haha! Yeah, not the best song, especially since the catchiest part is someone elses stuff!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I have every album on CD but I'm wanting to add them on vinyl as well. I already have The Getaway. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which pressings of their albums are best? Or have they all been pretty solid?
    bflynn1 said:
    I have every album on CD but I'm wanting to add them on vinyl as well. I already have The Getaway. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which pressings of their albums are best? Or have they all been pretty solid?
    Hey my man, if you can find it, the candy red RSD of Blood Sugar Sex Magic was an amazing press. Just ask @scurtis
    www.cluthelee.com
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    bflynn1 said:
    Hey my man, if you can find it, the candy red RSD of Blood Sugar Sex Magic was an amazing press. Just ask @scurtis
    This would be a great place to start. The red BSSM is fantastic sounding record.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    bflynn1 said:
    This would be a great place to start. The red BSSM is fantastic sounding record.
    A solid pressing for sure - I have some regret selling that one to be honest!
    www.cluthelee.com
    goldrush said:
    bflynn1 said:
    A solid pressing for sure - I have some regret selling that one to be honest!
    Damn, those are going for over $100!? I mean, worth it, but shit! I thought they'd be a bit under that.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    BSSM is one of the better sounding CDs I own...
    BSSM is one of the better sounding CDs I own...
    Agreed. Listened to it yesterday and the sound mixing is amazing. A great dynamic mix.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    People bag on CDs but there are a lot of great ones, especially from the early to mid 90s. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Been on a Chili Peppers kick lately. As I fan, I sorta wandered away when John left. Forgot how much I love listening to this band.
    It was really hard to take when John left again but I still support this band with Josh.
  • dpduke69 said:
    It was really hard to take when John left again but I still support this band with Josh.
    I do too. Josh is incredibly talented and even though he does a good John impression, he is a unique performer in his own right. Really not even fair to compare the two.

For me, it's a little bit like when they had Dave Navarro - it's still Flea, Chad and Anthony, but not really the same band... which is okay (and, I would argue, a good thing). My Friends remains one of my favorite songs. It's just that John wrote almost literally all of my other favorite songs.

To Josh's credit, these last two albums are more RHCP to me than One Hot Minute or any of the pre-Frusciante records. But I would hold Californication, By the Way and SA up against almost any album trilogy by any band... ever. That streak is almost unmatched.
    dpduke69 said:
    I do too. Josh is incredibly talented and even though he does a good John impression, he is a unique performer in his own right. Really not even fair to compare the two.

For me, it's a little bit like when they had Dave Navarro - it's still Flea, Chad and Anthony, but not really the same band... which is okay (and, I would argue, a good thing). My Friends remains one of my favorite songs. It's just that John wrote almost literally all of my other favorite songs.

To Josh's credit, these last two albums are more RHCP to me than One Hot Minute or any of the pre-Frusciante records. But I would hold Californication, By the Way and SA up against almost any album trilogy by any band... ever. That streak is almost unmatched.
    Totally agree on that trilogy of albums. Great stuff all around and certainly a part of the soundtrack of my life.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I know there is a lot of love for Josh here (and I like his playing too), but I think Dave Navarro was a better fit for RHCP.

I know, flame away.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    All of the John / Josh posts gave me a good reason to listen to the stuff they recorded together again!
    It's all on Youtube if you haven't heard it yet. My favourite of the 3 is probably Automatic Writing, but Sphere is pretty cool too. They're all well worth a listen

Ataxia - 'Automatic Writing'
    https://youtu.be/q5rDww15zls

Ataxia - 'AW II'
    https://youtu.be/6aDF5_3Hdh0

John Frusciante & Josh Klinghoffer - 'A Sphere in the Heart of Silence'
    https://youtu.be/prxpSQiK3j0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Suck Blue, Anthony!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Did Josh make a few appearances on John's 'Shadows Collide With People' record? I haven't listened to it in awhile, I keep thinking his voice is in there somewhere.
    www.cluthelee.com