*** Eddie Vedder Pilgrimage Festival Fanviews Here 9/24/17 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited September 2017 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Pilgrimage Festival
Franklin, TN
Sept. 24, 2017
Set List

Onstage 7:04
Offstage 8:31

01. Intro Song {played on pump organ.  Same thing he played at Ohana Festival} (After the song Ed takes a knee)
02. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(Ed talks about being nervous.  He is honored just to be on the same stage as “the great Mavis Staples”.)
03. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
04. I Am Mine
05.  Trouble-(Stevens)
{Ed makes a passionate plea for diplomacy and intelligence rather than bellicose ranting and playing games with millions of lives and asks people in the audience to demand the same}
06.  Wishlist {first line changed to something like “I wish I controlled the atom bombs so they can never go off”-not exact but generally close}
07. Good Woman-(Marshall)
08. Sometimes
(Ed says this song about many things and one is loving your wife.  He mentions a friend in the audience and a very special woman.  April Cameron.  Matt Cameron comes out and sings with him.)
09.  Just Breathe with Matt Cameron (Matt sings BG vocs)-song ends with Ed playing fast and Matt playing the beer case kick drum.
10. Without You
(starts to play “Can’t Keep” but stops because everything is “too sticky”.)-played less than 10 seconds)
11.  Setting Forth
12.  Far Behind
13.  Guaranteed
(Ed talks about a cool kid he met named Jack West.  He learns that Jack can sing and play.  Ed had decided that he wasn’t going to invite fans onstage anymore because the last one was a disaster but he found out Jack could sing and play so Jack is going to sing on the next song. Ed was joking about the last one being a disaster)
14. Society-(Hannan) with Jack West
15. Rise
16. Better Man
17.  Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison) played on pump organ
18. Should I Stay Or Should I Go?-(Headon, Jones, Simonon, Strummer) {played on electric ukulele. Uke goes out of tune so Ed only plays about 30 seconds )
19.  Porch
(Ed thanks the audience then goes down to the barricade to hand out picks.)
20.  Should I Stay Or Should I Go?-(Headon, Jones, Simonon, Strummer)
{“under the divider we need to be more united than ever”}
21. Hard Sun-(Peterson)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Had a lot of fun. Eds voice was rich and sounded incredible. I was on the side rail (straight in the middle looking at Ed) about 9 people deep. Nice setlist and the crowd around me was friendly and took care of one another all day. 
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    what was the "last audience member that was a disaster"?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The sound was so much better tonight.   Ed also seemed more impassioned and in the zone.   Like he said about Better Man "I was going to play this soft but I'm going to play it out loud."  That was the energy of the show.  I haven't seen an Ed solo show before with that intensity but I've only seen him solo a few times.  

He came out once and kneeled referencing the NFL protests. Got big cheers.

A couple of times he commented on a woman calling out for Dirty Frank. He said at one point that he was going to playi loud just to drown out the "Dirty Frank bitch."

at at one point Ed suggested the cameraman was high and the the cameraman wobbled his camera around in response.

Ed seriously just ran into that Jack kid randomly?  The kid was amazing.  Maybe in Nashville you run into aspiring musicians like you run into aspiring actors in New York. 

Really great night.
  • what was the "last audience member that was a disaster"?
    Quebec City wasn't a disaster? I'm not sure but that's the last major one I can recall...anyway great show tonight, eve felt a bit more into it then Louisville and more energy/angrier please turn that into some new music
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,623
    Quebec City wasn't a disaster? I'm not sure but that's the last major one I can recall...anyway great show tonight, eve felt a bit more into it then Louisville and more energy/angrier please turn that into some new music
    Noah was awesome in Quebec!I hope the person that was apart of this show does not read this because I am not trying to embarrass them but I believe it was the nervous guy at the Antwerp show Eddie was talking about. I would be nervous too! 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    EV was great tonight!  Very intense Eddie at first (which I love). Yesterday was a disaster at pilgrimage. I'll post more soon. Tired and going to bed. Again though...ed kicked ass tonight. 
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited September 2017
    People next to me said EV was referring to an audience member who he invited on stage at his solo show in Dublin. Great night. EV's voice did sound rich. The Clash on ukulele = rad. Matt showing up was really special. 
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Ed was joking about the last one being a disaster.
    Sea said:
    and that was......?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Anyone got a shot of the setlist on paper?
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    Sea said:
    and that was......?
    matt cameron
  • gwallgwall Charlotte, NC Posts: 14
    edited October 2017
    Highlights for me:
    Just Breathe w/ MFC- I saw Matt earlier in the day and knew that would be a huge and emotional moment and guessed he’d come and perhaps stomp on Ed’s kick drum thing but to have MC to vocal work on that song moved several people in the crowd - myself included.  We’re just over 4 months after their brother and close friend passes away.  Ed started his Euro tour a week or so after he died, right?  To me, it was the best unspoken tribute to their fallen friend I’ve seen or read out.

Society w/ Jack West- I think he’s like 12 or 13 and he impressed the crowd.  Neat moment before he started singing is he smoothly picked up his lyric sheet like he’s an old pro.  Also, when he came in too early during as Ed was doing the solo and EV encouraged him with eye contact and almost nudged him with the end of the neck on his guitar that seemed to communicate- not yet man but you’re crushing it in front of this festival crowd.  It’s something I would do with my kids and was a badass moment.  Plus, the kid could sing and he’s got that experience to hold onto forever.

After Without You, the electric uke comes out and I was all about some Can’t Keep since that’s the origination of the songs beginnings from one of his first solo appearances back in the early aughts but alas it wasn’t going to happen but what we got was (a first take) on The Clash classic Should I Stay Or Should I Go and I about went nuts man as that’s a top 5 Clash song for me.  The uke goes out of tune several strums (wink) in and EV has a funny moment w/ some F bombs.  Clip here and then fresh off iOS11, my phone dies https://youtu.be/0nkbbCr_Qh4 
    One of several amazing moments from tonight’s show. Luckily he got it re-tuned a song later and it was probably my favorite moment of his set.  Not sure if that’s been played too much on his solo runs the past decade so I liked that little nugget of a cover.  Also, dug the Harrison classic Isn’t It a Pity. It was interesting that the crowd around me weren’t too familiar with either cover being so close to Music City USA.

As for the Dirty Frank girl, I met her and her sister before Mavis’ set and she told me she went to 12 shows last year.  Not sure of her total PJ count but it’s high so she’s diehard and 10c member.  I thought the request was just so out there that it could my stamp of approval (I don’t yell out requests at shows because that’s just so damn free bird but if I did I’d go with In My Tree or Out of my Mind or BRY).  Also, I found out it was her from her sister after the show and they were also yelling something about Colorado.  They’ve never been to a solo EV show and I was giving them the rundown about how it’s intimate, quiet and just a unique experience seeing EV in a solo setting - outside no less versus the smaller theaters he played on one of his last solo tours (2012?) so she definitely took advantage of the crowd being not as loud as a PJ show. 

All of the other fanviews touched on the crowd Saturday.  I’ve never seen anything like it a festival and I’ve been to tons which is why I opted for Pilgrimage b/c of the 25,000 sold out crowd they announced would be there at the park both days.  It was 50 to 60k there Saturday - easily.  Funny that the festival organizers were still sticking with that figure - but upping it to 27k was there Sat.  Nah man, no way.  The lines for anything and everything was a 20-30min wait.  I felt bad for the parents in 70 people deep lines for the water stations.  It was unseasonably hot - upper 80s/low 90s - whereas normally this is perfect weather for that part of TN.  The crowd on Sunday was perfect.  They added more water stations and there was zero to a minimal wait for beer, food, water, bathrooms. 

Franklin, TN is pretty nice and quaint little town.  I stayed in an AirBnb less than 2 miles from the park and just walked it both days. It was an easy walk and going in Saturday I waved at this woman coming out of her house and said I liked her town and we ended up talking for 30min about the history of the town, the house she just sold and she invited me in to show it to me.  I grew up in the Southeast but that isn’t a common thing.  I check it out and find out she’s in two bands and her ‘jam’ room was stacked with 4-5 guitars, couple keyboards, banjo.  It was neat and added to the small town experience.  Everyone I met was staying in Nashville which is only 25min away but that traffic was snarled and rubbed some people the wrong way.  Lastly, the festival is really great for parents bringing their young kids so I liked that angle particularly since the curfew was 8:30pm so you basically had the rest of the evening to check out their downtown and be all banged up the following day.  Met a handful of PJ diehards which is always awesome to reminisce over past tour stories and share in on the excitement.  The vast majority of attendees were local to Franklin or to TN and they all took pride that this festival is successful in its third year and will likely be a great one for year’s to come now that JT bought a house there and is going to continue to help co-produce.  Timberlake’s performance was huge.  He’s Tennessee’s favorite son and it showed.  Everyone loves him - young, millennial, Gen X on up to the grandparents and it had the feeling of a big stadium event particularly when the place went nuts when Chris Stapleton came out.  Other performance highlights Saturday- Better Than Ezra (they still have it yall), Gary Clark, Jr (your modern day guitar hero), Trombone Shorty (impressive) and Avett Brothers (they’re underrated and crush it every time).  Sunday was Kingfish (Christone Ingram) - an 18yr blues shredding guy who went on at 11am and played with his teeth and strutted into the audience for an extended solo.  He impressed me more than other performer that I had not seen live yet.  Plus, I thought Mavis Staples knocked it out of the park.  I only caught two or three Ryan Adams’ songs as I wanted to get in decent position for EV but didn’t need to get crazy close b/c I wanted to give other fans the opportunity to see the legend up close!

Post edited by gwall on
  • sebcitysebcity Ireland Posts: 35
    He was definitely referring to the guy in Dublin. Disaster! 
    EV Solo - Dublin 2017
    Berlin 2018
    EV Solo - Dublin 2019
    Imola 2020 
    Imola 2022
    In St. Paul in 2003, Ed was sick and a guy next to me swore that he knew the words to Lukin. (I was lucky enough to score front row on Mike's side that night.) Once the guy started singing, Ed's expression immediately changed and he was screaming the correct words into the guy's ear. It doesn't come across that bad on the bootleg, but it was pretty bad from where I was sitting. After that, I looked over at the old lady, and told her that I never expected that to happen again.

Not that St. Paul is the disaster that he's referring to, but that one was.

And side note, he really took a bleeping knee??? WTF? I know this isn't the political forum, but c'mon...
    AndySlash said:
    Sea said:
    and that was......?
    matt cameron
    oh jeez. I read that wrong. I thought he meant at a previous show. Thanks! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

In St. Paul in 2003, Ed was sick and a guy next to me swore that he knew the words to Lukin. (I was lucky enough to score front row on Mike's side that night.) Once the guy started singing, Ed's expression immediately changed and he was screaming the correct words into the guy's ear. It doesn't come across that bad on the bootleg, but it was pretty bad from where I was sitting. After that, I looked over at the old lady, and told her that I never expected that to happen again.

And side note, he really took a bleeping knee??? WTF? I know this isn't the political forum, but c'mon...
    are you surprised?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

You saw them on the 2003 US leg of the Riot Act tour, arguably the most political tour next to VFC, and you're surprised Ed is siding with peaceful protestors and not the guy who supports the military so much he doesn't consider POWs war heroes because they got caught? (Yeah. Let that last part sink in.)
    I hope you or I commenting doesn't open Pandora's Box in this thread. If you have concerns, let's go to the Train and talk about it. I promise not everyone there is a raging lunatic...but there are a few who are. I'm just having a hard time understanding why you're surprised? If the sun doesn't come up tomorrow, my fall back would be, "Well, at least Eddie Vedder is still pointing out injustices around the world. Good to know I can depend on something; unlike the sun rising every day."
    Please don't take this as any sort of an attack on you. I'm sure you're an awesome guy who likes awesome music. The logic you chose is just baffling. Hope to see you on the Train. If not and you want to exchange view points in PM, that's cool. I love a good debate and I play fair as long as it's returned. Healthy conversation, discussion, and debate is what we need in this country. And if you're up for that, in one form or another, cool. If not. Right on. Have a good one. 
  • Also, in a weird twist of fate...you were front row at St. Paul and I was straight back last row at the top. Couldn't have been further away if we tried. My buddy and I were following the band for a week, screwed up 10C tickets and had to get tickets at the Xcel the day of the show. Not my favorite show ever. The back to back songs of Evenflow into Thin Air is possibly a top ten set list WTF over the band's career. From my terrible view, you could see the whole arena sit down in unison. It was like church. And I can say it sucked all the air out of the room, because it all hit me at the very top on its way out of the building. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

You're talking about Eddie Vedder? Member of Pearl Jam? I cannot believe he, of all people, of all bands, made a political statement. Say it ain't so! THIS band? No fucking way. I am in complete shock I tells ya.
  • No, no, I don't want to derail this, that was far from my intention; I just saw that part and was honestly a bit surprised. Look at all of the fans that have no idea what it stands for and are now going to blindly follow him. I really don't want to derail this, but felt I should explain my surprise since several of you commented on it.

Anyway, @ledvedderman, I had a great time that night! They played Bushleaguer and gave a shout-out to Paul Wellstone during it. (He had recently been killed in a plane crash.) I had a blast watching Mike up close and loved the fact that they were done after Rockin' but decided on the fly to give us Ledbetter. I was row 5 center the night before, so those 2 shows are why I keep renewing my membership to keep my number.

Peace to all, no derailing. I just saw that and added it as a side-note to my comment.
    No, no, I don't want to derail this, that was far from my intention; I just saw that part and was honestly a bit surprised. Look at all of the fans that have no idea what it stands for and are now going to blindly follow him. I really don't want to derail this, but felt I should explain my surprise since several of you commented on it.

Anyway, @ledvedderman, I had a great time that night! They played Bushleaguer and gave a shout-out to Paul Wellstone during it. (He had recently been killed in a plane crash.) I had a blast watching Mike up close and loved the fact that they were done after Rockin' but decided on the fly to give us Ledbetter. I was row 5 center the night before, so those 2 shows are why I keep renewing my membership to keep my number.

Peace to all, no derailing. I just saw that and added it as a side-note to my comment.
    there are always going to be morons on both sides that follow blindly without knowing the issues. unfortunately, ed can't control that, but I think that's why he spends time at shows explaining why he feels the way he does, as an open dialogue. 

anyway, cheers!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I enjoy his dialogue, but was there any? Did he explain to the crowd why he took a knee?

Once again, I don't want to derail this, but thinking about it, why did Sea mention it in the first place if no one is expected to talk about it?

I should really get back to work though. Mondays are my busy days. LOL
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    I enjoy his dialogue, but was there any? Did he explain to the crowd why he took a knee?

Once again, I don't want to derail this, but thinking about it, why did Sea mention it in the first place if no one is expected to talk about it?

No, he didn't say anything about it. Just took a knee then went and picked up a a guitar and into Elderly Woman. There was a shooting at a church here in Nashville yesterday morning that left 1 dead and 6 injured. I'm surprised he didn't say anything about that, but it's possible he wasn't aware of it. There were a lot of people at the festival that weren't aware of it.

But it was a great show. He engaged the crowd a lot, made some great jokes and thought he sounded awesome. Loved hearing I Am Mine. Such a great song. The crowd did a great job with the sing a longs from what I could hear, but I was right on the rail behind the VIP area, so don't know what it sounded like towards the back. Matt being there was a great surprise and the kid Jack, who sang on Society with him did a great job. I can't imagine how nervous he must've been, but it didn't show at all really. Great job kid. I always love seeing Eddie do nice things for kids at shows. After Porch he went down to distribute picks to several kids who were down front. Whether you agree or disagree with his stances on issues, we're all lucky to have such a caring and stand up person to have in this band. And well, really lucky to have all the guys  that are in this band
    I enjoy his dialogue, but was there any? Did he explain to the crowd why he took a knee?

he didn't, but he he may have thought that simply taking a knee without explanation, as the athletes are doing, was the right way to express his solidarity. who knows. or, since the Pres is at the forefront, he may have thought everyone would or should know what he was doing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited September 2017
    He took a knee? I didn't know they sang National Anthem before concerts? I'm kidding as A. I was there and B. I always wondered why sports were exclusive to a "song" before they began?  But since this a "music" forum,  I'll give my two cents about the weekend. I flew to TN/KY to see Eddie Vedder as I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan (named my daughters Grace Pearl and Emily Pearl). I also wanted to see BOH, Revivalists and Amos Lee. Ranking the five performances for me it would be Amos Lee first (he mentioned once when I saw him solo "I stopped doing shows for myself and realized I was here to perform for the paying customer" and well he doesn't disappoint. Eddie TN second (though he was cranky yelling for someone to turn off fan) but was visibly happy about the two  guests who came on stage, Matt Cameron rules!! The Revivalists third, Eddie KY fourth and BOH fifth. All performances were great and I almost put Eddie KY last as he seemed a little off (maybe the Bourbon?) and David Shaw and Ben Bridwell again like Amos Lee seemed like they were on stage to perform for the fans. Could be an age thing or just a "smaller band" thing but the other singers just seemed happier. Either way great two days of music. 
    Post edited by dlymnfld on
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • I don't know how anyone could not know what that means. I can't take a crap without hearing about it. And that's why I deleted my social media apps today. I need a fucking break from all of it. I'm going through intense health shit recently and social media used to be my distraction from the real world. Jesus Christ. I'd kill to get back to the days of people taking pictures of a damn cheeseburger and fries plate. So I don't need that negativity in my life now. 
  • PS- it's awesome to see that folks are acting like grown ups here in this thread and not resorting to nonsense. 
    I don't know how anyone could not know what that means. I can't take a crap without hearing about it. And that's why I deleted my social media apps today. I need a fucking break from all of it. I'm going through intense health shit recently and social media used to be my distraction from the real world. Jesus Christ. I'd kill to get back to the days of people taking pictures of a damn cheeseburger and fries plate. So I don't need that negativity in my life now. 
    I'm right there with you. I spend a lot of time, too much time, on twitter and facebook. as you said, I used to get annoyed at all the dinner pix, now it's Trump this and healthcare that. it's anxiety inducing. 

take care,

Paul
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ed sang "I wish I was as fortunate as JT"--  was that a reference to anything specific about the night before? Or just to JT as a guy who seems to have it all?
  • MattchewMattchew Posts: 1,345
      Great show!  I loved the environment because everyone around me seemed to be having a great time.  It was good seeing Ed, the last time was with the rest of the guys during the Fall 2013 North American Tour.  Definitely overdue!