The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Those look good!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I love mussels and scallops, but not a fan of oysters. Is that weird?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Not weird, oysters are gross lol

If a food has to be slurped down as quickly as possible, it probably isn't very good.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    rgambs said:

If a food has to be slurped down as quickly as possible, it probably isn't very good.
    Ever had fried or grilled?  There are some really good variations out there if you don't like the most common was to eat them.  (I'm ok with them, my wife loves them more than most things.)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Oysters are awesome. I could put down about 3 dozen of those salty little fuckers.

Char grilled from Drago's in New Orelans are something else.  I make a variation of them at home in the summer.
    Are they not very chewy when grilled?
    I dont feel like they are extra chewy...but I always liked them grilled - my buddy adds a bunch of shit on top and grills them, they are great - so I didn't stop to examine too much. 
    I guess what I mean is, are they chewable off the grill?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I love mussels and scallops, but not a fan of oysters. Is that weird?
    YOU’RE weird!

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread#latest
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:
    I guess what I mean is, are they chewable off the grill?
    Yes, we stand around the grill, beers in hand, and he doles them out as they finish.  We typically do this on fishing trips so there is no decorum on sitting to eat, or serving the group.  Anyone that wants them stands by the grill and eats them with a fork right out of the shell -- burnt mouth is part of the idiocy/fun.  ;)

They are fresh as well, we buy them from the boats headed back in.
    I've only had raw on half shell and it was mildly disgusting.
    Like swallowing the snot that builds up in your throat overnight when you have a bad cold.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    First time I had oysters, yuck.

Second (and last) time, YUM.
    On the rare occasion that I get to go out to dinner with my wife these days, I always order a dozen oysters as an app, and if she gets dessert, I order a dozen more oysters for my dessert.

Oysters and beer from quitting time till closing time is one of my favorite ways to spend an evening.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    dankind said:
    On the rare occasion that I get to go out to dinner with my wife these days, I always order a dozen oysters as an app, and if she gets dessert, I order a dozen more oysters for my dessert.

Oysters and beer from quitting time till closing time is one of my favorite ways to spend an evening.
    I like your style.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited September 2017

yeah i can't do raw eggs. even runny yolks literally turn my stomach to where i vomit. no one will ever witness me dippin toast into runny ass yolks & if they do they must follow me into the bathroom where i'll be sick.

now here's a story about my grandpa & his quick ass bullshit egg cooking skills. dad always said it was from when (his dad) grandpa was in WWII fighting japanese on those islands that led him to fry an egg 30 seconds each side. fast forward to the 70s & 80s when us three boys would stay over at grandma & grandpa's house. grandpa made breakfast. all i remember was me trying to down my serving of nasty ass eggs. son of a bitch that was rough. both my brothers did fine with their breakfasts, not i. for one thing ya can't not eat what is served, that would not happen. (gramps meant well but sure sucked at eggs.)  (yes he literally used a timer... 30 seconds... flip)

i'd force down a bite or two, sometimes pretending to swallow the eggs, leaving the chewed up garbage in my mouth. i'd then excuse myself to go use the restroom where i'd spit out the eggs i hadn't swallowed & i'd then be vomiting what i had put down my neck. i can remember getting up from the table two or three times (possibly more) per breakfast. "you ok, chad?" "ya i'm ok just had to pee real quick again"

Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

so let's see

made a roasting pan of ham & beans soup. it came together well. many cans of great northern beans went into this. i never opened that many cans at once, it was ridiculous. (i did bring home like four different styles of dried beans a weeks ago, but those beans are for chili & what have you. i'm a bit excited about soaking beans. anyhow.) 

9 pound bone in ham,  diced up an onion & some celery, added salt, pepper, garlic powder, & water. cooked the ham 15 min per pound. removed from the oven, removed ham from pan to cool, added beans, worked on the ham & put it back into the roaster & oven. a couple hours later it was on. forgot the cornbread until the next day.  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

yesterday picked up a boneless pork loin. put it in the crock pot.

removed it to cool a bit then tore it to bits, added a hawaiian style bbq sauce. but let me back up a bit... added a new seasoning i had not used before, mccormick's - brown sugar bourbon. it turned out decent but it does not at all taste like my usual pork sandwich. i was a bit disappointed.

then while waking this morning i had a thought, "add the pulled pork to your ham & bean soup, heat & eat." & that's exactly what i did for lunch. it was pretty good   

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    rgambs said:

If you mean raw oysters, I agree. I hate raw oysters because of the horrible slimy texture. I don't know why having to shoot your food seems like a legit idea, given that having to eat them like that kind of means they are disgusting, lol. If they tasted good people would savour them in their mouths. I can't eat any raw seafood at all because of my texture issues. I wish I liked these things, but I don't. They trigger my gag reflex. I will eat any seafood that is cooked - I'd probably like grilled oysters, though I don't think I've tried that. I've certainly enjoyed cooked oysters in other forms, like Oysters Rockefeller and what not.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chadwick said:

so let's see

made a roasting pan of ham & beans soup. it came together well. many cans of great northern beans went into this. i never opened that many cans at once, it was ridiculous. (i did bring home like four different styles of dried beans a weeks ago, but those beans are for chili & what have you. i'm a bit excited about soaking beans. anyhow.) 

9 pound bone in ham,  diced up an onion & some celery, added salt, pepper, garlic powder, & water. cooked the ham 15 min per pound. removed from the oven, removed ham from pan to cool, added beans, worked on the ham & put it back into the roaster & oven. a couple hours later it was on. forgot the cornbread until the next day.  

Well done, sir!  That sounds tasty as hell, and something I could do in a crock-pot (just not with a 9-pounder).
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I love a runny egg yolk, but those whites better damn well be done.  And I believe this was talked about a few pages back, but if you give me scrambled eggs and they're still liquid - your dead ass will be putting them back on the stove until they're done.  I prefer my food in not-already-digested form.

Speaking of which, I was at a friend's house a few years back and she was feeding her 2 year old.  Kid tried a bite of something and didn't like it, so he spit it out.  Mom then proceeded to pick it up and eat it.  I damn near puked on site.  Kids are fucking disgusting enough as it is, but man if I hadn't looked away in a split second, there would have been a lot more digested food on the table.
    edited September 2017
    chadwick said:

yeah i can't do raw eggs. even runny yolks literally turn my stomach to where i vomit. no one will ever witness me dippin toast into runny ass yolks & if they do they must follow me into the bathroom where i'll be sick.

now here's a story about my grandpa & his quick ass bullshit egg cooking skills. dad always said it was from when (his dad) grandpa was in WWII fighting japanese on those islands that led him to fry an egg 30 seconds each side. fast forward to the 70s & 80s when us three boys would stay over at grandma & grandpa's house. grandpa made breakfast. all i remember was me trying to down my serving of nasty ass eggs. son of a bitch that was rough. both my brothers did fine with their breakfasts, not i. for one thing ya can't not eat what is served, that would not happen. (gramps meant well but sure sucked at eggs.)  (yes he literally used a timer... 30 seconds... flip)

i'd force down a bite or two, sometimes pretending to swallow the eggs, leaving the chewed up garbage in my mouth. i'd then excuse myself to go use the restroom where i'd spit out the eggs i hadn't swallowed & i'd then be vomiting what i had put down my neck. i can remember getting up from the table two or three times (possibly more) per breakfast. "you ok, chad?" "ya i'm ok just had to pee real quick again"

So I take it you are not going to be trying my recipe.  Mmm, methinks I need 'to try and be better & up my game of shit & piss' when it comes to the creative food choices I share.

Dut could put away the runny eggs?
    I bet that sonofagun could eat 'em raw.  Anyone that heats a fork up in a pan of oil and stabs his older brother in the arm with a fork is the type of guy I can imagine powering down runny eggs from Bad-ass Grandpa any time. 

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

Nah I don't like Oysters...

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2017
    No Oysters for me thanks lol

hescalleddyer, yeah that is gross. no thanks.

love me some eggs benedict but i'm not having runny ass eggs  

f me in the brain,

yes dut did pull his well cooked fork from the bubbling cooking oil & firmly put it down on my bicep/back arm area. he only done this in revenge fashion. i did laugh when he got me, funny stuff, hysterical actually. he couldn't eat oatmeal without puking whilst waiting for the school bus.

other than raw eggs, most organs, tongue, & raccoon assholes... i think i'll be ok

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    I love a runny egg yolk, but those whites better damn well be done.  And I believe this was talked about a few pages back, but if you give me scrambled eggs and they're still liquid - your dead ass will be putting them back on the stove until they're done.  I prefer my food in not-already-digested form.

Speaking of which, I was at a friend's house a few years back and she was feeding her 2 year old.  Kid tried a bite of something and didn't like it, so he spit it out.  Mom then proceeded to pick it up and eat it.  I damn near puked on site.  Kids are fucking disgusting enough as it is, but man if I hadn't looked away in a split second, there would have been a lot more digested food on the table.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited September 2017
    Tongue always goes on racoon assholes.  Believe that is part of the salad course.  :lol:
    Chad done went and made me hungry!

Breakfast for lunch!

I SAW PEARL JAM

dankind,

looks good but disgusting at the same time. good luck, sir. 

i'm making breakfast tonight actually.

they aren't homemade biscuits but they'll work. butcher shop cut bacon. eggs that aren't running around leaking their nasty ass all over the place. yep - bacon, egg, cheese, biscuits. get the heck outta here  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    It's fall y'all!
    At the Gambs house that means fresh picked Fuji apples, plums, and fresh pressed unpasteurised apple cider.
    Liquid fucking gold.

In a few weeks, liquid fucking gold booze.