We saw Pearl Jam's new doco and it was not what we expected

124»

Comments

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2017
    Hobbes said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Thought this would be a Concert DVD...with just some Footage of the Cubs added in there...
    Image result for reverse that willy wonka

Oh ok...now I'm craving some Chocolate :tongue: hehe
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    i_lov_it said:
    Hobbes said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Thought this would be a Concert DVD...with just some Footage of the Cubs added in there...

Vegan chocolate?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    dankind said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Hobbes said:
    i_lov_it said:

Vegan chocolate?
    Haha definitely VEGAN Chocolate :lol:
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    With this seemingly turning out to be more of a documenatry than a concert film, it would seem all that much more fitting to have a deluxe format with a second Blu-ray Disc of only concert footage. I know it is only wishful thinking, but with the band knowing that many of us buy just about anything they put out that is a deluxe box set or high priced item, it would seem more likely than less likely this might be the case now. 

The precident is set as they did this for PJ20 and they have not released the info yet for the video formats etc.. if it was just them saying this will be released in DVD and Bluray formats I don't see why they would need to hold back that information. That is pretty basic stuff. Maybe they were waiting to sell theater tickets, vinyl, cds etc before wanting to release deluxe information.

I know with UMG (SGN / TOTD) they do not like to include vinyl in deluxe box sets. They do vinyl separately. Maybe a Double Bluray / CD set?

I'm sure people who purchased vinyl who wanted this would then feel like they would have just bought the box set if vinyl was included and that was the only way. 

I know this is a lot of speculation. Just hoping that after all of this there is not just bits and pieces of songs with a few bonus tracks / Easter eggs and that's all! 
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Definitely looking forward to the bluray
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I don't really remember seeing pics of Ed as a huge cubs fan until he was friends with Theo Epstein.  Not like I have really looked to see, and obviously there's a full length movie out proving his life long cubs obsession, but I'm just thinking back and in the beginnings he was always spoken of as a surfer in San Diego and all the rest.... not a huge baseball fan.  Just strange to me.  

In fact is there even a single photo of him in Cubs gear in PJ20?
    I remember watching a video the other night and seeing ed wearing what looked to be a white Sox hat. To me that is the equivalent to wearing Montreal Canadiens merchandise as a leafs fan.
    Ed is good friends with Jack McDowell who played for the White Sox in the early 90s.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Bring on the 3 disc bluray with 1.21 jigawatts audio! Great Scott!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Like many on this discussion i hope it is not just a straight forward film on the  Bluray with some bonus 30 mins of Mattcam etc... for some songs or just different angles etc... They surely know the demand by now most want Rock N Roll footage. I have no issue with what is shown in the cinema but it would be terribly disappointing if the Bluray release does not take the live stuff to the next level in my opinion. :)
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Bring on the 3 disc bluray with 1.21 jigawatts audio! Great Scott!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944
    Like many on this discussion i hope it is not just a straight forward film on the  Bluray with some bonus 30 mins of Mattcam etc... for some songs or just different angles etc... They surely know the demand by now most want Rock N Roll footage. I have no issue with what is shown in the cinema but it would be terribly disappointing if the Bluray release does not take the live stuff to the next level in my opinion. :)
    I was really impressed with the pj20 set, where they made 2 whole disc's of bonus content.  The one disc with the full performances from the movie, and the other one with the fan stuff (and more performances).

You kind of never know what you're going to get with 10c/Pearl Jam.   You could get an awesome 3 disc set including the doc, and full blurays of both show, or you could get a single bluray with some bonus content.

I'm really hoping the band/10c were feeling ambitious on this one :)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Here's a decent article about the film in the Chicago Sun-Times.  (Aside from the mistake in calling Small Town "Hearts and Thoughts")

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/pearl-jam-at-wrigley-a-thrill-for-vedder-and-fans-in-lets-play-two/
  • tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 691
    Go Tribe!!
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    It was exactly what everyone was expecting.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    RP112579 said:
    Mostly all music..... Were most songs played in full?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    RP112579 said:
    A film heavy on the music & light on the Cubbie brewhaha?
    www.cluthelee.com
    PJNB said:
    RP112579 said:
    All songs in full except Black, Red, and Yellow. That was half from the rooftop and the second half was from Wrigley. The rooftop part had some talking during it.
    RP112579 said:
    A film heavy on the music & light on the Cubbie brewhaha?
    Heavy on the music and the Cubbie brewhaha :lol:
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    RP112579 said:
    PJNB said:
    RP112579 said:
    All songs in full except Black, Red, and Yellow. That was half from the rooftop and the second half was from Wrigley. The rooftop part had some talking during it.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    The film was great. A lot of Cubs history and the 2016 WS run, but it had plenty of PJ to go with it. Songs were played in their entirety and unbelievable concert footage.  I don't think any PJ fans will be disappointed, Cubs fans or not. 
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,299
    PJ making history again!  A film documentary like no other has ever done. Bravo Danny and team!
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    It's a blend. Great homage to all things Wrigley but a good chunk of concert footage. Edited and shot well to mix it for us Cubs fans.
  • Living 3 miles from Wrigley and being a die hard cubs fan and Pearl jam fan I was going to love it either way. That being said it was not too Cubbies any pearl jam fan will enjoy this film, plenty of concert footage that it was hard or me to stay seated!!! Brought back great memories of the show and the World Series run!! Caught the 9th inning of the Cubs clinching again with my cousin @PJPAT at Murphys, only thing missing was the boys jamming on the roof!!!
  • For what it's worth, here is a 4 star review from Chicago Sun Times.  Written by Ebert's old co-host.
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/pearl-jam-at-wrigley-a-thrill-for-vedder-and-fans-in-lets-play-two/

Pearl Jam at Wrigley: A thrill for Vedder and fans in ‘Let’s Play Two’

Eddie Vedder makes a stage leap during one of Pearl Jam's August 2016 concerts at Wrigley Field, as seen in "Let's Play Two." | ABRAMORAMA

“The first time you walk into Wrigley Field, it’s like stepping into Oz.” – Pearl Jam frontman and big-time Cubs fan Eddie Vedder.

If you’re a Chicago Cubs diehard AND a hardcore Pearl Jam fan, AND you were lucky enough to be at Wrigley Field on the nights of Aug. 20 or Aug. 22 of 2016, that must have been heaven on Earth.

The Cubs had yet to win the World Series, of course, but by that point in the season, it was clear they were the best team in baseball, and they had a chance to go all the way. The perennial doom-and-gloom attitude, the Billy Goat curse of 1945, the black cat in the on-deck circle crossing in front of Ron Santo in 1969, the Bartman ball nonsense of 2003, etc., etc. — those black clouds were dissipating. Kris Bryant’s bat and Anthony Rizzo’s heart and Jon Lester’s arm were oblivious to doomsday history.

So yeah. Good time to be a Cubs fan.

As for Pearl Jam — well, they’re Pearl Jam. Middle-aged and a generation removed from their Grunge Era breakout years, to be sure, but still capable of rattling the ivy on the walls of Wrigley Field and filling the summer nights with the sounds of powerful and resonant anthems such as “Jeremy” and “Better Man” and”Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town.”

Watching “Pearl Jam: Let’s Play Two,” even this lifelong White Sox fan was blown away. I was stirred by the lush and pristine sounds of the band, including of course Eddie Vedder’s oft-imitated but never really duplicated guttural growl of a voice, and I was greatly impressed by the gorgeous visuals in the concert sequences.

This is one of the most vibrant-looking rock performance films of recent years.

I’ve even got to give a #Respect shoutout to the band’s frontman Eddie Vedder, whose passion for the Cubs (like Bill Murray’s) goes far deeper than the casual celebrity “fans” who show up only when the home team is on a roll, wearing newly minted jerseys with their names on ’em and hoping nobody asks them who their favorite player was when they were kids.

We learn that when the Evanston-born Vedder was growing up, his favorite Cubs player was Jose Cardenal, a gifted but mercurial figure who played for some mediocre-to-lousy teams in the 1970s, once missed an exhibition game because crickets had kept him awake the night before, and begged off playing on Opening Day one year because he claimed when he woke up, one eyelid was stuck open.

The talented director-photographer Danny Clinch respects Pearl Jam (and their fans) enough to show us unbroken performances of some of the band’s biggest hits, and to not get too tricky or showy with the camerawork or the editing. We’re with the band as they go over the set list, we’re onstage with the band as they rock out, we’re in the stands with the faithful, and we get some beautiful medium and long shots of the North Side’s definition of the Field of Dreams. You can’t help but drink it all in.

Interspersed with the concert footage, we get scenes of the band jamming on the rooftop at Murphy’s Bleachers; shots of a CTA train festooned with Pearl Jam artwork; brief glimpses of Cubs game action old and new; Vedder playing catch on the field. This isn’t the most in-depth documentary about what it means to be a Cubs fan, but that’s not what it’s trying to be. “Let’s Play Two” is primarily a record of what surely had to be two of the most memorable concerts in Pearl Jam’s history — for the fans and for the man with the microphone.

★★★★

Abramorama presents a documentary directed by Danny Clinch. No MPAA rating. Running time: 120 minutes. Opens Friday at Arclight Chicago, with TV debut to follow the ALCS Game 1 on Oct. 13 on FX1.

• Wake me when real tour dates are announced ! Not Lola 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Wake me when real tour dates are announced ! Not Lola 

"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Unfortunately it is only the film + a few complete songs ... 
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    It has Pearl Jam in it so I'm in no matter what it's about...
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra