Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Holy CRAP does this vinyl sound spectacular. It is dead quiet, all you hear is Neil and his guitar and it makes you feel like you're sitting next to him in the studio. 

The songs are great, hearing them in this setting is beautiful. Neil has put out some gems from his vault and this is certainly one more. I'm glad it is finally out for us all to enjoy. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Farm Aid is live on YouTube right now. Neil and POTR have just started their set with Fuckin' Up!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited September 2017
    Farm Aid set list:

Fuckin Up
    Cortez the Killer
    Cinnamon Girl
    Human Highway
    Heart if Gold
    Comes A Time
    Like a Hurricane
    Rockin' in the Free World

Short set, but Neil sounded - and looked - great! Perfect soundtrack to my Sunday lunchtime :)

Neil's t shirt had "It's All Going To Pot" written above Willie Nelson's face, which was kinda cool too.
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Being a Neil fanatic, it's not surprising that I have 38 Young vinyl albums (not counting CSNY, 45's, etc) but there is one glaring hole in my collection- WELD!  I sure wish they would reissue that one-- and put the video out on DVD while they're at it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Being a Neil fanatic, it's not surprising that I have 38 Young vinyl albums (not counting CSNY, 45's, etc) but there is one glaring hole in my collection- WELD!  I sure wish they would reissue that one-- and put the video out on DVD while they're at it!
    As you know from a few pages back, I've only just been able to get hold of a replacement Weld myself. It took years!

I'm up to 48 out of 62 albums so far, so there's still 14 to go (some replacements, some that I've never owned). I'll keep an eye out for a Weld for you on my search!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    As you know from a few pages back, I've only just been able to get hold of a replacement Weld myself. It took years!

I'm up to 48 out of 62 albums so far, so there's still 14 to go (some replacements, some that I've never owned). I'll keep an eye out for a Weld for you on my search!
    Cool, thank you! 

48, wow!  That's great!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2017
    Oh heck, 
    Cortez the Killer of Farm Aid 2017.
    He just kicked it in the ass!!

https://youtu.be/jLuuCYxw8fA
    I want that t shirt he had on, can't find one. ;)
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited September 2017
    RYME said:
    Oh heck, 
    Cortez the Killer of Farm Aid 2017.
    He just kicked it in the ass!!

https://youtu.be/jLuuCYxw8fA
    I want that t shirt he had on, can't find one. ;)
    Watched this three times this evening- can never get too much Neil.
    Mixed feelings.  Great performance.  Neil is a god but  I do miss the Horse. But he's still out there, almost 72, playing with passion.  Nice.

Post edited by brianlux on

• dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    That Farm Aid set was great. Would love to catch Uncle Neil one more time.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    dpduke69 said:
    That Farm Aid set was great. Would love to catch Uncle Neil one more time.
    Let's throw in a dash of (Cinnamon) Girl from The Farm Aid show

https://youtu.be/5xqIn5C0i4s
    I would sure love to see Neil and Crazy Horse have a go at it one more time.  With Billy Talbot having had a minor stroke and being 73, Ralph hitting 74 this year and Poncho digging in his Hawaiian garden most of the time, it's iffy.  Oh but would it be nice!

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Right now in 2017 I much prefer Promise of the Real over Crazy Horse... 
    I read yesterday that POTR are now Neil's second most-used backing band (after the Horse of course). I'd love to see the Horse one more time as well, but I've never seen a POTR show so I'd take that. They sounded really good at Farm Aid and it's clear that Neil digs playing with them.

Hell, top of the dream list is a Neil solo acoustic show at Sydney Opera House but that's not likely to happen! I've seen Ed, Glen Hansard, Chris Cornell, and Ryan Adams solo there, as well as Counting Crows, and the acoustics are just insane! If there's one person that should appreciate the sound of a room, it's Neil.

I can dream, right?

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm sincerely glad both that Neil is still doing it and that he's happy with his new band but after hearing the thunder and the power and the ragged glory of Neil Young and Crazy Horse from way up in that tall tree next to Shoreline Amphitheater in 1997, I don't think I'll ever hear Neil Young that great again. 

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I haven't seen NY w/POTR.

I would love to see them one more time with Crazy Horse. But, like Brian pointed out(Boys are getting up ther in age),if it were to happen it needs to happen..........NOW, pretty much.

Though, would that band called Pearl Jam, ever go out with him again?
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Neil... solo... small venue... up close... best thing ever
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    cutz said:

I would love to see them one more time with Crazy Horse. But, like Brian pointed out(Boys are getting up ther in age),if it were to happen it needs to happen..........NOW, pretty much.

buncha has-beens, that group.
  • my2hands said:
    Right now in 2017 I much prefer Promise of the Real over Crazy Horse... 
    Promise of the Real was such a great surprise in 2016. And it feels it has energised Neil and the setlists were so good last year.
    Haven't seen him with Crazy Horse since 2001 (my first Neil show), so don't know how they play nowadays.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Would love Pearl Jam to play with him again. I think 2006 (Living with War) was the perfect project to be a mirrorball sequel. 
    But would love for them to record something together again. 

Still sucks he didn't induct them.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Great to see Neil looking well and sounding great. Killer set! What a guy for almost 72. Absolute legend.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    cutz said:

That would be great! Even just for a song or two.  I can see at least that much happening again.

(Tim Rogers)
    Will Harvest Moon ever get a re-issue on vinyl?
    @Spiritual_Chaos I just saw this on the Record Store Day Facebook page:

:)

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    goldrush said:

This will fill a nice gap in my Neil collection.
    goldrush said:

This is a terrific album to have on vinyl.  The original sounds great- no reason to expect anything less with the re-issue.  A fine album all the way through and "Natural Beauty" is a stunning closer.

Some really cool videos from Hitchhiker...

https://youtu.be/ETOIIWot-3Y

https://youtu.be/N6qyKGuznf4

(Tim Rogers)
    One of my all-time favorite music moments:  Poncho kicking Neil in the butt (4:45)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ggbts1v3aw

A killer version of "Cortez the Killer":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93-UdPz1BI