Options

We saw Pearl Jam's new doco and it was not what we expected

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,807
edited September 2017 in The Porch
Thanks B for the find. :)

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/09/21/we-saw-pearl-jams-new-doco-and-it-was-not-what-we-expected/

Eddie Vedder during Pearl Jam's Wrigley Field concerts last year
Sep 21st 2017 | Jessica Dale
A note before we start, Pearl Jam's new documentary Let’s Play Two is a film close to my heart. For the past four years, most of my annual leave has been dedicated to following Pearl Jam around the world. And the best part of it is that I get to do it with a community of fans that are also as crazy as I am. So, in saying that, if you have a keen eye and know what I look like, you could actually spot me on the front rail in the concert footage (probably looking a little tired after two days of camping out for the position).

2016 was a big year for Chicago. It was a year of hope - an audacious hope that their beloved Cubs go all the way to win the baseball World Series for the first time since 1908. Halfway through the season, Pearl Jam returned to Wrigley Field to play over two nights in August, for their second stint at the hallowed grounds.

Firstly, it's important to clarify from the start, if you're walking into this with the expectation that this will be a film showcasing the band's performance, you'll be disappointed. The same if you're expecting this to be a documentary about the band and where they're at in their career. If you want those, please refer back to Live At The Garden and PJ20. Instead, what's offered is a film about frontman Eddie Vedder and his lifelong relationship with his beloved Cubs, an obsession that began as a four-year-old attending games with his uncle.

Directed by photographer and long-time friend of the band Danny Clinch, Let's Play Two begins with the rattle of the L-train, the line that brings hundreds of thousands of fans to the Wrigleyville precinct each year, with Vedder's distinct baritone sweeping in over the top to explain that walking into Wrigley for the first time is "like stepping into Oz."

It's important here to explain why the term "let's play two" has shaped, influenced and gone on to be the title of the film. Legendary Cubs player Ernie Banks coined the term, saying that the day's nice enough, let's play two games. It's a fitting tribute to Banks, who passed away in 2015, just two years after he joined Vedder on-stage for Pearl Jam's 2013 Wrigley performance of All The Way, the song written as a tribute to the team.

It's not long before the 2016 concert footage is introduced, bringing in a mix of the band's better known hits and some deeper cut fan favourites.

Whereas previous films have had a stronger focus on fan experience, Clinch has chosen to focus on just two fan stories throughout; one American named John who shares what Pearl Jam's music has meant to him over the years, and one Australian named Jason who shares what's special about the Pearl Jam community. Okay, so full disclosure here – Jason's actually my dad. Yep, fight me if you think your dad is cooler. Even fuller disclosure, the guy sleeping on the pavement waiting to get into the General Admission area is my husband.

Amongst the story of the Cubs comes funny moments shared between the band and their friends. There's a notable appearance from the Chicago Bulls' Dennis Rodman, and a touching moment with former NFL player Steve Gleason.

What Clinch achieves with Let's Play Two will challenge Pearl Jam fans, and you know what, after 25+ years maybe we need it. "It's not all about winning or losing. It's not. It's about the journey," says Vedder of his Cubs before their triumphant Game 7 victory. Maybe that's the message to take along with you throughout Let's Play Two; go on the journey, ride the wave and maybe you'll be rewarded with a trophy in the form of a new perspective about a man and band you thought you knew so well already.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    I just assumed the title was in reference to them playing two shows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    That is pretty much what I expected, considering Eddie's obsession and the timing of it w/ the World Series win. Not to mention the title and the marketing, lol. I think I also remember that the 10C release description gave the impression that it would be focused on Eddie and the band's history with Wrigley Field.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    Uh oh.  Sounds like I may be a little bit like "enough about the damn cubs already" shortly into this.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    A 2 hour movie about Eddie Vedder's love of the Cubs?

I sure hope the bluray has bonus concert footage
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    It actually sounds exactly what I was thinking it would be... A documentary about wrigley, eddie, history, and a bunch of the live performances mixed in.

I have no problem with it being centre around Eddie's love of the cubs.   The stories he was telling at the shows.   It felt more like a hometown show than any of the shows I've seen in Seattle.
  • Options
    While I'm not actually a fan of of a team or anything and don't usually watch the actual sport being played, I am a massive baseball movie/documentary fan - I absolutely love baseball-themed films pretty much indiscriminately, and make a point of watching every single one of them - so I'm really pleased about the focus of this. I am guaranteed to be entertained by it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    Trailer 1: 99% concert footage

Trailer 2: 95% concert footage and a setlist

"this is gonna be a looong night"

- me, October 3rd at the Cabot Theater
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ed243421 said:

They serve beer.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    ed243421 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    While I'm not actually a fan of of a team or anything and don't usually watch the actual sport being played, I am a massive baseball movie/documentary fan - I absolutely love baseball-themed films pretty much indiscriminately, and make a point of watching every single one of them - so I'm really pleased about the focus of this. I am guaranteed to be entertained by it.
    I love baseball and documentaries as well... but i prefer Ken Burns doing that and Pearl Jam sticking to documenting concerts and live music 

I was hoping for more of a Pearl Jam concert movie with Wrigley & Cubs sprinkled in,  but this sounds like the exact opposite with it being a movie about Wrigley & Cubs with some concert footage sprinkled in... i've seen enough of Eddie & The Cubs the last few years to last a lifetime

We will likely skip the theater for this one
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    dankind said:
    ed243421 said:

They serve beer.
    Let's Chug Two!!
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,910
    I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it for myself. A film primarily about Ed's love of the Cubs would be a weird film for Pearl Jam to put out. I'm betting there will be plenty of music in there, too.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    A passion project then. No problem. I don't like the Cubs, but I like that he likes them so much. That's interesting enough to me to still be interested in it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,930
    edited September 2017
    As a PJ fan and a Cubs fan, I couldn't be more excited for this. 

But yeah, I do hope a full show (if not both) or a shows worth of tunes from the weekend is included as bonus footage.

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,367
    As a PJ fan and Yankees fan I hope to fall asleep to this after we beat the red sox in game 1.
  • Options

But yeah, I do hope a full show (if not both) or a shows worth of tunes from the weekend is included as bonus footage.

Aren't you from Seattle?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    ed243421 said:

:rofl:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    A passion project then. No problem. I don't like the Cubs, but I like that he likes them so much. That's interesting enough to me to still be interested in it.
    I have some interest but probably not enough to go to a theater and then also buy the bluray... I think I'll watch it fir free on TV or just wait for the bluray to arrive
  • Options

Aren't you from Seattle?
    Nope. Chicago born and raised. And now I live in its burbs. 

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Unless someone can correct me if I am wrong that has seen it there is going to be 17 songs played during this film. That equals out to be 80 minutes of music (unless they chop up the songs which I hope is untrue) and 40 minutes of Cubs/baseball talk. I do not mind this at all. I am just happy we are getting something on film. I am curious what they had planned though if the Cubs did not win. I wonder what plan B was. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Unless someone can correct me if I am wrong that has seen it there is going to be 17 songs played during this film. That equals out to be 80 minutes of music (unless they chop up the songs which I hope is untrue) and 40 minutes of Cubs/baseball talk. I do not mind this at all. I am just happy we are getting something on film. I am curious what they had planned though if the Cubs did not win. I wonder what plan B was. 
    Plan B was documenting post-baseball depression from November - April. Also known as "the dead season".
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Aren't you from Seattle?
    Nope. Chicago born and raised. And now I live in its burbs. 

Gotcha! For some reason I get you and @bosshogg18 confused on here.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love baseball and documentaries as well... but i prefer Ken Burns doing that and Pearl Jam sticking to documenting concerts and live music 

I was hoping for more of a Pearl Jam concert movie with Wrigley & Cubs sprinkled in,  but this sounds like the exact opposite with it being a movie about Wrigley & Cubs with some concert footage sprinkled in... i've seen enough of Eddie & The Cubs the last few years to last a lifetime

I get that... but as I said, I'm indiscriminate. I love the Ken Burns Baseball doc .... but I also really enjoy Fever Pitch, soooooo.... :lol:;)
    (I was also quite enamored with the Cub's WS journey and win last year, so I'm very interested in seeing that part with an EV/PJ twist)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    I bet plan B was release the boots as a mini box set and shelve the film. 

• Options
    My question is will this thread be in contention with the box set thread as most frequented?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Only if this release comes with a COA.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I get that... but as I said, I'm indiscriminate. I love the Ken Burns Baseball doc .... but I always really enjoy Fever Pitch, soooooo.... :lol:;)
    On a side note there is a new Ken Burns Vietnam documentary coming out soon. 18 hours long!
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I get that... but as I said, I'm indiscriminate. I love the Ken Burns Baseball doc .... but I always really enjoy Fever Pitch, soooooo.... :lol:;)
    On a side note there is a new Ken Burns Vietnam documentary coming out soon. 18 hours long!
    :joy: Indeed! And the soundtrack was done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross!! I've got the series recording on my PVR - I'm going to binge watch the whole thing next time I'm home on a rainy weekend with nothing to do. :)
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    The review was a good read into what the docu part of the film is about, but hopefully it doesn't change the ratio of musical footage to documentary footage in the movie that much. The seventeen songs will be in the movie, hopefully in their entirety, but I would guess not by this quote "Firstly, it's important to clarify from the start, if you're walking into this with the expectation that this will be a film showcasing the band's performance, you'll be disappointed." Still,The film is listed as two hours. Those songs take up about 85 minutes (I made a mix of those exact tracks) that leaves 35 minutes to tell a pretty comprehensive story about the Eddie & The Cubs and a couple fans... That is far more more time allotted then Cornice was. If that is the case this review doesn't really change that much in the formula but only sheds some light on the description of the documentary footage. I hope Jess just took for granted that the live footage was the other part of the equation as it was not mentioned in depth.  Could be wishful thinking on my part!

A little about the Aussies:

I know Jess and her husband, Mom & Dad from Camping with them several times along the way.. They are hardcore Aussies... They did EVERY single show of the South American Leg in 2015.. On the rail every single night in every country... I hadn't seen them in the states in 2016 until Wrigley and we stood together at the show Wrigley 2. The are good people and die hard PJ fans. She and her mom are tiny and they camp out so they can see, and her dad Jason is a big tall older grey bearded dude who Ed seems to have taken a liking to, so it makes sense that he would be profiled in this.

1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    I wouldn't assume that those 17 songs on the soundtrack are played in full though. Soundtracks usually include songs that only had clips of them played in the film.