PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The season can be started earlier by a bit -- keep the early games in domes or warmer spots as much as possible and extend the DS to 7.

I think it's starting a couple days earlier next year.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    The season can be started earlier by a bit -- keep the early games in domes or warmer spots as much as possible and extend the DS to 7.

I think it's starting a couple days earlier next year.
    too many days off in the playoffs.  Baseball plays 13 out of every 14 days during the season. they are used to playing almost every day. and i think the wild card should be a 3-game playoff all in one location done in two days.  Day-night doubleheader for games 2-3 if game 3 is necessary. that would be one helluva day for playoff baseball. one game is stupid.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Agree with most of what you propose.  Day/Night doubleheader is the only think I would question....but I suppose that beats a 1 game playoff
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited September 2017
    Agree with most of what you propose.  Day/Night doubleheader is the only think I would question....but I suppose that beats a 1 game playoff
    it's unconventional for sure but their argument against longer than 1 game wild card is that it takes too much time.  well they schedule it poorly. the AL wild card is Tuesday and the NL doesn't play it until Wednesday.  I understand they need to work in one day for a possible playoff but there is no reason not to play before Wednesday. the NL then doesn't start their Division series until Friday which means the wild card team plays 2 games in 5 days.  You have plenty of time to get the wild card into a 3 game series and sill have them start the division series on Thursday/Friday.

Plus under my day/night doubleheader idea it punishes the wild card teams a bit by making them use their pitchers in a short turnaround, this gives the division winners an extra little advantage which is a good thing

Post edited by pjhawks on
    No doubleheaders in the playoffs.  That is dumb and will never happen.
    oh i know it will never happen just as giving them less days off in the playoffs will never happen. But isn't it gonna suck if/when the Yankees lose that one game wild card game because they are too stubborn to make teams play without days off in the playoffs?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited September 2017
    pjhawks said:
    oh i know it will never happen just as giving them less days off in the playoffs will never happen. But isn't it gonna suck if/when the Yankees lose that one game wild card game because they are too stubborn to make teams play without days off in the playoffs?
    I hear you.  Though the main reason for the staggered start is that the Wild Card games are on different days, right?

I am clearly annoyed at the one game wild card game this year.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    That Hoskins kid is exciting to watch.
    You and me both. Best approach at the plate on this team since Utley.
    pjhawks said:
    I hear you.  Though the main reason for the staggered start is that the Wild Card games are on different days, right?

I am clearly annoyed at the one game wild card game this year.
    Yes AL on Tuesday and NL on Wednesday. Then the AL division series starts Thursday and the NL on Friday.
    edited September 2017
    3 game series is dumb. You shouldn't be rewarded anything for being a wild card. If you want to make an argument that your team is a 90+ win team and playing an 85-win team then argue for less divisions. But we all know that's not going to happen. So 1) win your division 2) have the best record in your league.

I'd also say the wild card winner shouldn't play the day after their one game is over. You need to be put on ice, as the best team in the league is being forced to do because they have to wait on you. As we all know baseball now is a matter of who's hot at a certain time (which was never the point of this game), and not so much who is the best overall team - and better way to prove that out is a 7-game series in the division series.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    The more I think about it, the more I agree.
    Why should the whole approach change in the playoffs?

They schedule potentially 2 days off in each round.

A quick look at the Yankees schedule shows they play their last 30 games with 1 off day.  (Today)  One game was postponed.

Right - so if we're talking about adding two games to the playoffs, then add them to the division series so the supposed best team in the league can have the opportunity to prove that.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I think the weather trend would make starting the season earlier a disaster.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Both WC games should be on the same day, fuck tv!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    I think the weather trend would make starting the season earlier a disaster.
    All Northeast/Midwest/Cold-weather teams should start the first week on the road in warmer cities. Won't happen, but I always liked this view.

Also, who knows, global warming does have one benefit.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

THE DELL MUSIC CENTER.

Anyone ever see a show here? I don't believe I've ever heard of it unless it's a new name or something.... but seeing War on Drugs there Thursday.

It is not big at all I know that and has been there forever I think. I want to go to this show sooo bad, but I guess my first challenge in restraint as a new dad. Their new album is perfect, flawless, so on and so forth. I could gush about this album for dayyyyysss.

It's an okay venue. Small, yeah....but not exactly what I would call intimate. We had decent seats but didn't feel like we were that close to the stage. And they had these annoying lights on to the left of the stage for the entire show. Also, there's like 2 beer stands and 2 bathrooms for the entire venue. Lines were ridiculous. It was their first "rock" concert like Erie mentioned and you could tell. Good show though. Adam came out wearing a Barwin jersey for the encore.
    chinese-happy.jpg

THE DELL MUSIC CENTER.

Anyone ever see a show here? I don't believe I've ever heard of it unless it's a new name or something.... but seeing War on Drugs there Thursday.

It is not big at all I know that and has been there forever I think. I want to go to this show sooo bad, but I guess my first challenge in restraint as a new dad. Their new album is perfect, flawless, so on and so forth. I could gush about this album for dayyyyysss.

It's an okay venue. Small, yeah....but not exactly what I would call intimate. We had decent seats but didn't feel like we were that close to the stage. And they had these annoying lights on to the left of the stage for the entire show. Also, there's like 2 beer stands and 2 bathrooms for the entire venue. Lines were ridiculous. It was their first "rock" concert like Erie mentioned and you could tell. Good show though. Adam came out wearing a Barwin jersey for the encore.
    YOU ARE ridiculous.

Oh, and fuck the Rams.

THE DELL MUSIC CENTER.

YOU ARE ridiculous.

Oh, and fuck the Rams.

fuck the YOU!
    chinese-happy.jpg

THE DELL MUSIC CENTER.

YOU ARE ridiculous.

Oh, and fuck the Rams.

fuck the YOU!
    YOU ARE cracking me up. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    woo-hoo!  no 100 loss season for the Phills this year :lol:
    future looks pretty solid for them i think. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Wowwww new manager coming...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    yeah Mackanin out!  Little surprised by this.  Considering what he had to work with he did ok.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    yeah Mackanin out!  Little surprised by this.  Considering what he had to work with he did ok.

He didn't have a lot to work with but I didn't like how he handled things when the young bucks started coming up. Took too long to just let them play every day.

Ultimately, Mackanin was always just going to be a bridge from Sandberg to the manager of the next competitive Phils squad. . . . .

chinese-happy.jpg
    Mackanin always came off as a bit smug to me. like he was way better than the players he was given.  good time for a change although someone should take some heat for giving the guy an extension and firing him 4 months later.
    Phillies fans gave Mackanin a standing o yesterday? Really?  i mean these are idiots who are at a meaningless Phillies game that started at 3:00 when the Eagles were coming on at 4 so i understand we aren't dealing with rational fans here but still.

and did anyone see the Let's Play Two movie this weekend?  After reading reviews there seemed to be a lot less about the Cubs than i expected going in.  Mostly performances so nothing really special about it.  I thought at least the picked some songs that weren't just the hits.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    re: the RIP Tom Petty thread

the juggler is such an asshole :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    re: the RIP Tom Petty thread

the juggler is such an asshole :lol:

what?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    "what time did you go to bed?"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited October 2017
    Wobbie said:
    "what time did you go to bed?"
    ha
    I mean....in the middle of the afternoon he writes "I just woke up to this." Seemed like a legitimate question, no? 
    chinese-happy.jpg