Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I actually ate mushrooms and beets this past weekend.  I don't know what kind of mushrooms they were.  I was at a wedding and it was some kind of side dish. The food was prepared by a friend of mine who owns a farm-to-table restaurant nearby.  I know her food is usually pretty damn good so I figured what the hell, I'll try it.  It was actually quite tasty!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I love Shake n Bake chicken...especially cold leftovers of it.

As for drums, not my favorite part of the bird, but made sticky Asian style?  Yum.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chicken Legs/Drums tonight.  Seems with Breasts and Thighs there are 75 ways to cook that I enjoy.

For Drums?  If cooking indoors & avoiding frying, I bake mine & nail the fuck out of them 9/10 times using this simple method. 

Must be sure to pat dry after rinsing -- this is key.
    Season to taste (the skin is the best part and you control how it tastes)
    Get them on racks and not directly on the hotel pan/sheet pan.
    Fat parts pointed out.
    425 until they are 185.  (I know temps are usually lower for chicken -- for drums, 185 is my goal, makes sure everything is just right.)
    'Bout 35-40 mins in my oven.

How do you cook Chicken Legs?

It ain't fancy, but I like extra crispy Shake n' Bake the most if cooking them in the oven. It was a fave as a kid and I see no reason not to like it now, lol. I add a fair bit of pepper and some other spices to the mix, but really, the Shake n' bake is perfectly good as it is. I think it works better than anything else to keep the chicken juicy, and I like the crispy coated skin.
    If I'm doing chicken legs on the grill I will usually just brush them with oil, skin on, and add Montreal spice or something, pepper, and then indirectly grill them on low-med for about 40 min, turning once, and 5 min at the end over high flame.
    I don't care for shake n bake, yuck...

As for keeping chicken juicy, do any of you put an onion in it when cooking?

I do and it seems to keep it nice and juicy.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chicken Legs/Drums tonight.  Seems with Breasts and Thighs there are 75 ways to cook that I enjoy.

For Drums?  If cooking indoors & avoiding frying, I bake mine & nail the fuck out of them 9/10 times using this simple method. 

Fat parts pointed out.
    425 until they are 185.  (I know temps are usually lower for chicken -- for drums, 185 is my goal, makes sure everything is just right.)

It ain't fancy, but I like extra crispy Shake n' Bake the most if cooking them in the oven. It was a fave as a kid and I see no reason not to like it now, lol. I add a fair bit of pepper and some other spices to the mix, but really, the Shake n' bake is perfectly good as it is. I think it works better than anything else to keep the chicken juicy, and I like the crispy coated skin.
    If I'm doing chicken legs on the grill I will usually just brush them with oil, skin on, and add Montreal spice or something, pepper, and then indirectly grill them on low-med for about 40 min, turning once, and 5 min at the end over high flame.

I am not sure what is "yuck" about bread crumbs, but to each their own. ;)
    For me, chicken legs are just a throw-together kind of meal, so no, I don't make any dishes or use a knife. :lol: They're for when I am feeling lazy but still just want a hot meal!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    I have never put all that much thought into legs.  I usually do legs on the grill with a spice mixture or store bought rub.  Sometimes make a sauce or bbq sauce.  If I bake them it is probably similar to F me, though with not as much thought on positioning or anything like that.

Thighs though. Those are my babies.  Love me some chicken thighs.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Fat parts pointed out.

I am not sure what is "yuck" about bread crumbs, but to each their own. ;)
    For me, chicken legs are just a throw-together kind of meal, so no, I don't make any dishes or use a knife. :lol: They're for when I am feeling lazy but still just want a hot meal!
    Flavor, texture of shake n bake were what I didn't like.  I've always preferred real breadcrumbs but hey, I know a bunch of people that like it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I like using breadcrumbs if pandering to the 12 year old, they do taste really good.  He likes if I crush a sleeve of Ritz crackers and bread with that before baking.
    Super simple has worked well. 
    The positioning seems to help them cook more uniformly, I never went Bill Nye to determine why.

Chris, what do you do with the onion, you put it in the chicken cavity when cooking whole?  If so, I will try that soon.  Matter what type of onion, or is that just based on preference.

I use a lemon.
    Similar method...cast iron skillet pre-heats to 450 in the oven...put the 2 halves of lemon opposite one another inside the chicken, throw the seasoned whole chicken breast side up into the skillet, and toss a handful of gralic cloves into the pan.  Bake until at temp, 40 mins or so.  [Another Mark Bittman]

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    When I do bake chicken, I do include lemon and onion in whatever it is cooking in.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I actually ate mushrooms and beets this past weekend.  I don't know what kind of mushrooms they were.  I was at a wedding and it was some kind of side dish. The food was prepared by a friend of mine who owns a farm-to-table restaurant nearby.  I know her food is usually pretty damn good so I figured what the hell, I'll try it.  It was actually quite tasty!
    Those are both excellent foods -- I make a ridiculous sauteed mushroom mix...pour it over a salad and I would push an old lady down the stairs for it.  (Kidding.  Sort of.  ;) )
    Beets I have only cooked a few times but I enjoy eating them.  Sugary wonders
  • Options
    I like using breadcrumbs if pandering to the 12 year old, they do taste really good.  He likes if I crush a sleeve of Ritz crackers and bread with that before baking.
    Super simple has worked well. 
    The positioning seems to help them cook more uniformly, I never went Bill Nye to determine why.

Chris, what do you do with the onion, you put it in the chicken cavity when cooking whole?  If so, I will try that soon.  Matter what type of onion, or is that just based on preference.

I use a lemon.
    Similar method...cast iron skillet pre-heats to 450 in the oven...put the 2 halves of lemon opposite one another inside the chicken, throw the seasoned whole chicken breast side up into the skillet, and toss a handful of gralic cloves into the pan.  Bake until at temp, 40 mins or so.  [Another Mark Bittman]

Yeah mon,

So I take an onion, parsley, thyme, whatever i'm cooking with and put it in the cavity.  For whatever reason the chicken tastes great and isn't dried out.  I prefer red onions.  I only use them now.

I like your lemon/skillet method.  I'll have to try that one day.  Also littering the pan with whole garlic cloves is WONDERFUL.  I do the whole bulb now.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Whole garlic bulb -- awesome, but my wife would have a fit. 
    Red onion & fresh herbs in the cavity it is!

@dankind is a chicken leg master on the BBQ.  He won't share his jerk recipe...well, for obvious reasons.  ;)

• Options
  • Options
    A buddy told me he sometimes snacks late-night on things using thick slices of raw, red onions as 'bread'

I love onions but that is far too much.
    9 out of 10 Scott Conants agree.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2017
    Just a Healthy Salad................lol
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    A buddy told me he sometimes snacks late-night on things using thick slices of raw, red onions as 'bread'

9 out of 10 Scott Conants...HA

Love this...

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    They have a lunch buffet at the Alumni Club everyday, with a different cuisine each week. This week is Greek, so we went.... pretty bad for the most part, lol, but it's a buffet for only $11, so we never expect much. But anyway, what was delicious was the honey greek yogurt with fruit, and that reminded me.... As a dessert, I LOVE Liberté Méditerranée (dessert because it's so high in fat it may as well be ice cream), and they just recently came out with a Lavender one, and it is sooooo delicious! Such a delicate taste to it, but rich at the same time. I've always loved the lavender and other kind of flowery flavours. I was a big fan of Thrills gum as a kid, and I still really like those little button candy things that taste like various flowers. Anyone else a fan of the flower flavours?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

9 out of 10 Scott Conants...HA

Love this...

I hadn't seen that -- fucking priceless. 

PJS - my wife likes flower flavors.  I like bacon flavored....well, pretty much anything.
    Think tomorrow AM I am going to do the raw egg/bacon deal.  If I do, I will snap some pics to share. 
  • Options
    Oh god, NO for me on flowery flavors.  There's a Persian ice cream made with rosewater; to my ever-so-refined palate, it's just :nuh_uh:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    PJ_Soul said:
    They have a lunch buffet at the Alumni Club everyday, with a different cuisine each week. This week is Greek, so we went.... pretty bad for the most part, lol, but it's a buffet for only $11, so we never expect much. But anyway, what was delicious was the honey greek yogurt with fruit, and that reminded me.... As a dessert, I LOVE Liberté Méditerranée (dessert because it's so high in fat it may as well be ice cream), and they just recently came out with a Lavender one, and it is sooooo delicious! Such a delicate taste to it, but rich at the same time. I've always loved the lavender and other kind of flowery flavours. I was a big fan of Thrills gum as a kid, and I still really like those little button candy things that taste like various flowers. Anyone else a fan of the flower flavours?

Sorry, but no. I can't stand lavender in any food - baked goods, tea, and I'm guessing yoghurt. 

And like hedo, I don't like rose flavour either 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Holy grail

ribeye
    fried chicken
    pasta
  • Options
    At the moment - and I don't eat these too often - my trinity:

Albacore nigiri
    Crab chunks in the shell sauteed with garlic, ginger and scallions (it's a shame that Mon Kee, my favorite place for it, is now closed)
    And good pizza, duh.

(damn me for being high and hungry!)
  • Options
    Dinner. 

Ribeye steak, Brussels sprouts and a nice salad topped with years first harvest of pomegranate!
  • Options
    I outdid myself this evening. A little chicken vindaloo action
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I outdid myself this evening. A little chicken vindaloo action
    And you'll "outdo" yourself in the morning, too!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    Holy trinity
    pasta - ravioli to be specific 
    pizza 
    burgers

2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    I love how pizza is on so many lists.
    Really is a comfort food.
  • Options
    Breakfast after an enjoyable evening of many vodka rocks, watching The Wire again...

Thick cut, Peter Luger brand, bacon.
    Broil the bacon at 600 degrees, flip, finish.
    Chop.
    I ended up using only one egg and adding a more rice.

Stir the fuck out of it.  (Ideally you want it to be 'frothy')  Add some soy sauce to your taste.

Enjoy.

Seriously, one of the best tasting things out there.  The Japanese are the best when it comes to umami tastes. 

• Options
    Breakfast after an enjoyable evening of many vodka rocks, watching The Wire again...

Thick cut, Peter Luger brand, bacon.
    Broil the bacon at 600 degrees, flip, finish.
    Chop.
    I ended up using only one egg and adding a more rice.

Stir the fuck out of it.  (Ideally you want it to be 'frothy')  Add some soy sauce to your taste.

Enjoy.

Seriously, one of the best tasting things out there.  The Japanese are the best when it comes to umami tastes. 

This looks interesting.  Will have to consider trying this.  Bacon doesn't seem to be a standard in the recipe, but can't go wrong with adding bacon, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Yeah, this was done one time on a whim and it is not part of my recipe.  ;)

That thick cut bacon will be an addiction as well.

• Options
    Yeah, this was done one time on a whim and it is not part of my recipe.  ;)

That thick cut bacon will be an addiction as well.

I get my bacon thick cut from Espisito's in the Italian Market.  $5.99 a pound and amazing.