Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I boycott ESPN now just like i do CNN and fox-news.  I wish i could just watch sports highlights and not have to see any kind of biased political material.  I don't care what side a talking head is on.  I refuse to listen to them. 
    If a espn broadcaster tweets something true about trump, how is this effecting the content of the channel?
    I don't even know what BS she tweeted or what BS Curt Schilling tweeted. My issue is with the channel going way out of their way to promote their views.  Whether its sportscenter or the espys. No different than foxnews or Cnn. I don't care to see that when my main concern is seeing how Nadal won the 5th set or the latest trade rumors.  Just Say No to cable.  Proud to have dropped their channel

• Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    ponytd said:
    I boycott ESPN now just like i do CNN and fox-news.  I wish i could just watch sports highlights and not have to see any kind of biased political material.  I don't care what side a talking head is on.  I refuse to listen to them. 
    If a espn broadcaster tweets something true about trump, how is this effecting the content of the channel?
    Do you have proof that Trump is a "white-supremacist? Yeah, he's said a lot of stupid things, and I don't really like him or follow everything he does at all, but it seems to me that if he was indeed that, he wouldn't have a black person, an Asian person or Jewish people in his cabinet.

ESPN has been been bringing politics into sports for a while now. People watch sports to escape from politics and burdens of everyday life. It's entertainment. I personally don't care what anyone there believes or if they're Liberal or Republican, but their need to bring politics into all these shows definitely affects content. I understand that sports is not immune to politics or race or wealth or whatever, and it's fine to talk about it at times, but it seems that non sports content on the channel is more geared to politics or race or whatever and the only shows that don't really ever get into that are the fantasy football show and college gameday. The higher ups at ESPN have proven that they value those who follow with their political leanings and everyone else is afraid to speak out. Jemelle Hill should not be fired for having her own opinion. However, if you're going to fire others or suspend them for saying things that lean towards the right and not do anything other than issue a statement that says "we talked to her and she should apologize" for someone that speaks their mind and is left leaning, that is showing favoritism. They should at least be consistent in their discipline, if they are going to discipline at all. In my opinion, if you're not a work and you're not using a work affiliated platform, no company should ever hold anything against you for you expressing your own opinion as long as it's not violent.
    Yes I do have proof, and so do you. It's in his past actions and comments, as well as current policies, statements and actions. And if you've know. Any racists, it's not uncommon for them to be cordial to a few minorities once they feel that person is above the others and has "overcome their deficiencies". Using that as evidence that trump isn't racist, combined with you feeling like espn is shoving anything political down our throats suggests you're more avoidant of these kind of topics. Denying trump's bigotry is a way to avoid the subject all together. 
    I agree with that about racists. It's true. I just feel that in 2017 though, if you're aligned with the right, the left labels them as racists and white supremacists and bigots. But the right is calling the left snowflakes and babies and whatnot. That's the main reason I don't follow much of it anymore. It's just bad mouthing on both sides and nothing good comes from it.

I'll ask you this though, if I'm avoiding these topics, why am I in this forum? Would I be involved in this thread if I'm so afraid of these topics? I think they're interesting topics and came for a discussion about the matter. I don't watch ESPN that much. I don't watch Fox Sports hardly at all. I don't watch Fox News at all. If I watch any news, I watch the local news or CNN usually or go on the internet and try to get different viewpoints. It's usually CNN, Washington Post and MSN. Me stating that ESPN is getting more political does not mean I'm avoiding the issue. It's a sports channel. Not a politics channel. If I want to watch a sports channel for sports, how is that avoiding important issues? So does anyone who wants to watch a football, baseball, or basketball game and just enjoy a game for 2-3 hours not care about the issues that we are facing as a country? Are all of those people empowering racists and Trump? If you go to a concert, are you also avoiding issues? What about the grocery store? Or an opera?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    I don't even know what BS she tweeted or what BS Curt Schilling tweeted. My issue is with the channel going way out of their way to promote their views.  Whether its sportscenter or the espys. No different than foxnews or Cnn. I don't care to see that when my main concern is seeing how Nadal won the 5th set or the latest trade rumors.  Just Say No to cable.  Proud to have dropped their channel

Maybe we're watching a different Sportscenter, because I'm not seeing politics. They feature some personal interest stories about athletes, so maybe that's what you're referencing?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    ponytd said:
     ESPN has been been bringing politics into sports for a while now. People watch sports to escape from politics and burdens of everyday life. It's entertainment. I personally don't care what anyone there believes or if they're Liberal or Republican, but their need to bring politics into all these shows definitely affects content. I understand that sports is not immune to politics or race or wealth or whatever, and it's fine to talk about it at times, but it seems that non sports content on the channel is more geared to politics or race or whatever and the only shows that don't really ever get into that are the fantasy football show and college gameday. The higher ups at ESPN have proven that they value those who follow with their political leanings and everyone else is afraid to speak out. Jemelle Hill should not be fired for having her own opinion. However, if you're going to fire others or suspend them for saying things that lean towards the right and not do anything other than issue a statement that says "we talked to her and she should apologize" for someone that speaks their mind and is left leaning, that is showing favoritism. They should at least be consistent in their discipline, if they are going to discipline at all. In my opinion, if you're not a work and you're not using a work affiliated platform, no company should ever hold anything against you for you expressing your own opinion as long as it's not violent.
    I love the NFL and I'll probably always watch it but come on, the NFL has been a harbour for forced patriotism for the past 20 years or so. Sports have never and will never be immune from politics.
  • Options

Maybe we're watching a different Sportscenter, because I'm not seeing politics. They feature some personal interest stories about athletes, so maybe that's what you're referencing?
    I think it's more of the fact that many of the on-air talent is more liberal, and their viewpoints come out more so. Now, there's nothing wrong with that in a debate or discussion type show. I encourage it as long as all sides get their say.

I haven't watched SportsCenter in a while. Not because I feel they're getting "too left", but more so because, well, I don't have as much time and with social media and the rise of smartphones, I can get any and all sports news (or any news for that matter) from there and don't have to sit and watch tv. I found these two articles below that explain things in a good light, coming from ESPN itself.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/767/inside-and-out-espn-dealing-with-changing-political-dynamics
    http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/871/espn-awash-in-rising-political-tide-2

• Options
    eddiec said:
    ponytd said:
    I love the NFL and I'll probably always watch it but come on, the NFL has been a harbour for forced patriotism for the past 20 years or so. Sports have never and will never be immune from politics.
    I guess I've never thought of it that way, but yeah, I can see that.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2017
    However, if my employer doesn't want me wearing my politics on my sleeve at my work, than I shouldn't.  If something I wear causes customers to reject our services, and look elsewhere, my employer has every right to tell me to stop wearing politically offensive things on my head or whatever.  And if I keep doing it in the name of free speech, that's fine and not illegal, not gonna get arrested for it, but my employer has every right to fire my ass if I'm turning away business.  Football is a product, and a business, if the conduct of the players pisses off enough viewers and enough fans stop attending the games or quit watching, then the NFL has a problem.  Sports Center use to be fun informative and humorous.  Now it has become an unwatchable political soap opera.  If my employer insists that every company vehicle display a pro USA design and American flag sign/icon, it is not my right as an employee to rip the sticker off because I don't like our country.  
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    If a potato chips company, would put
    anti American slogans or signage on the potato chip bags, how long would it take before they would not be selling to many potato chips?  Same with a major soup lable.  There are still enough patriotic Americans to not have this anti American movement become the norm.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    RYME said:
    anti American slogans or signage on the potato chip bags, how long would it take before they would not be selling to many potato chips?  Same with a major soup lable.  There are still enough patriotic Americans to not have this anti American movement become the norm.
    Care to explain what you are calling the "anti-American movement"?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    This is my idea of an anti-American slogan:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    The guy sucks so bad even the cfl won't sign him!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    RYME said:
    The protest seems pro-America to me. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Nice work Scruffy. Start an international conflict.

Cue the 'Canada is a bunch of racists' comments that we will now have to defend.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    mcgruff10 said:

Cue the 'Canada is a bunch of racists' comments that we will now have to defend.
    Whenever the topics of sports and  prejudice come together,  a can of worms is sure to have been opened.  For example, "Canuck".  When I lived on the shores of Lake Erie just a long swim away from  the Province of Ontario, I was told that referring to a Canadian as a "Canuck" was as bad as the "n" word or any other racial slur you can think of.  And then then named a team, The Canucks.  Hmmph!  A typical cowtown, toque headed attempt to start a kerfuffle with us peace loving Americans.  It's just not right!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

You just wait Del!  
    I mean seriously, if the CFL didn't sign him you know the guy is terrible.  Just ask Doug Flutie.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    He is better than some of the garbage on display yesterday.
    Jacksonville and Chicago would both be significantly better with him as their QB, imo.
    SF too, for that matter.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Jacksonville and Chicago would both be significantly better with him as their QB, imo.
    SF too, for that matter.
    Chicago is terrible.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SF too, for that matter.
    Chicago has Tribisky in the wings, they don't need Kaperninck.  They are grooming him.

I thought he would be a good fit in Miami but the Shirt thing backfired on him.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    SF too, for that matter.
    Chicago has Tribisky in the wings, they don't need Kaperninck.  They are grooming him.

They should play him if they want to be competitive.  That QB they have now is awful.  Just awful.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You just wait Del!  
    I mean seriously, if the CFL didn't sign him you know the guy is terrible.  Just ask Doug Flutie.

He's bad.

As I said earlier... if he hadn't taken a knee and caused a stir... nobody would be advocating for him.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    ^^^yep
    Im thinking that the majority of Kap supporters today didn't follow his career until the kneeling.  

one of his star receivers left the team and basically said "i dont care about what he's doing (with the anthem). I just hope he tries to read a playbook for once and works out". 

If you read twitter his supporters can't separate his cause from his talent.  They act like Tom Brady or Khalil Mack can't get a job.  He's definitely a 2nd or 3rd string QB but im repeating myself by saying that teams would rather have a quiet veteran or a kid they hope develops into something.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    I'm a Niners fan & went to the Super Bowl the year we made it with Kaep as QB.  I know he has issues but he is miles better than shitbird Hoyer.  Team has almost no chance of winning with a non existent passing threat.  They actually have better WRs this year & appear to be running better, but that means very very little when you cannot complete passes down the field.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2017
    just a reminder 90 qb rating in NFL is no easy task or accident, 12 td 4 int on a horrendous team.

compare and contrast
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/passing.htm

• Options
    I shall post this article again:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/colin-kaepernick-49ers-start-chip-kelly-nfl-buffalo-stats-career-highlights-fantasy-101116

11/15/16

Tuesday, San Francisco 49ers fans finally received what they’ve been asking for — Colin Kaepernick is now the team’s starting quarterback.

Chip Kelly didn’t have much of a choice — while it isn’t necessarily Blaine Gabbert’s fault the 49ers’ offense is one of the worst units in the league, he certainly wasn’t the solution to that problem.

Is Kaepernick? Probably not.

A lot has happened since the last time Kaepernick took the field for the 49ers:

Jim Tomsula and his staff were fired, Kaepernick underwent multiple offseason surgeries and was retained by the team, guaranteeing his nearly $12 million salary. He avoided being cut in the preseason, despite two terrible performances, and you might have heard about some situation involving the National Anthem — at this point, so many people have appropriated erroneous (at best) meaning to that peaceful protest I’m not quite sure what that’s about anymore.

It’s a lot, and because of all of that, it’s easy to forget just how bad Kaepernick was the last time he took the field.

Kaepernick was replaced by Gabbert last year for a reason — he turned in one of the worst quarterbacking seasons in recent NFL history. The Browns wouldn’t have started him.

Let’s refresh the memory:

Last season, Kaepernick had a defense-adjusted yards above replacement — Football Outsiders’ ultimate value quotient — of minus-182, 35th in the NFL. By all metrics, he was one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.

These numbers look even worse when you consider that the 49ers went to a single-read offense for Kaepernick after his terrible four-interception performance against the Arizona Cardinals in Week 3.

Each progressive interception in that game was worse — it was a total unraveling.

It only devolved further from there.

Kaepernick lost the 49ers locker room after a home loss to the Packers in Week 4 — Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin both vented their frustrations with the [insert any and all expletives here] play of their quarterback during and after the game (the latter being more of the passive-aggressive variety, as two of the most loquacious and intelligent players on the team refused to talk to the media).

Kaepernick was air-mailing throws all over the field, and when he wasn’t doing that, he was skipping easy ones like this.

The 49ers went to a read-option offense for the next two games, and Kaepernick and the Niners didn’t look half bad. They weren’t a good team, but they weren’t being embarrassed.

But then defenses figured it out. The unraveling became a meltdown.

Kaepernick’s performance in the 49ers’ Week 7 Thursday Night Football game last year was among the worst quarterback performances in recent NFL history. As I wrote at the time "his mechanics had become so disorganized that even the easiest toss became an adventure in forward passing."

We’re talking about 10-yard outs being thrown 15 feet over receivers’ heads. Eventually, the 49ers stopped throwing the ball on third-and-long, such was the struggle.

It kept getting worse and worse. You honestly couldn’t tell if Kaepernick was throwing the ball away or aiming for intended receivers by the end of the contest.

There were basic mental lapses, too — on a third down in the second quarter, he broke the huddle with 17 seconds remaining on the play clock, only to try to change the play with three seconds remaining. The Niners were hit with a delay-of-game flag.

Week 8 was the official end. Any competent coach would have benched Kaepernick long before that game in St. Louis, but it was Tomsula in charge …

Kaepernick simply wasn’t allowed to throw beyond the first-down sticks in that game. The 49ers had a one-read system in place, and that read never went past the first-down marker, regardless of scenario.

Kaepernick’s lack of awareness finally forced the 49ers’ hand — they had to go to Gabbert after the Rams decided to stop covering wide receivers at the line of scrimmage and Kaepernick didn’t recognize it.

Kaepernick was, hands down, the worst quarterback in the NFL last season. He played so poorly that he made Gabbert look competent by comparison. He made mistakes that would get a high-school quarterback benched.

Perhaps that poor form will change under Kelly — the 49ers have run three times more zone-read plays than any other team in the NFL this season, despite having Gabbert at quarterback, and theoretically Kaepernick should thrive in those situations.

Then again, defenses will be able to stack the box with nine or 10 players, daring Kaepernick to make the throws he showed last year he couldn’t make. That’s what happened last year, and after that point bad become worse.

Perhaps the injuries were a factor in the poor play last year, but that doesn’t explain the complete lack of awareness and football smarts Kaepernick displayed. Maybe Kelly can tap into the same magic Jim Harbaugh found in No. 7, but until that’s shown, one has to presume we’re going to get a repeat of 2015.

As for the contract — the one that could well guarantee Kaepernick $14 million for next season should he get injured this year — Kelly pleaded ignorance and said Tuesday that it had nothing to do with his decision to start Kaepernick. Despite the fact that the 49ers front office leaked to NFL Network that the team and Kaepernick were working on a new deal that would alleviate the team’s concerns over injury guarantees, Kelly’s statement is somewhat believable — while it would be ridiculous to play Kaepernick given his contract and the risk of injury behind that offensive line, something the front office is clearly aware of, it’s far more likely that the 49ers have a completely dysfunctional organization where the head coach and general manager have no communication and cannot run a team in unison.

No matter what Kaepernick’s contract is for Sunday’s game against Buffalo, he’ll enter the contest with plenty to prove. Even borderline mediocrity would be a massive upgrade for No. 7.

• Options
    Toss in the fact he's a dickhead. He called opponents n**gers on the field (it's more than ironic he's the torch bearer for black lives given such).

There's not much to like here, folks. Get over it.
  • Options
    There are many different articles with people spending hours and hours examining things.
    One I read earlier:
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx170918/nfl-quality-play-worse-2017-colin-kaepernick-make-better

I can use my eyes and say based on watching him for years that he has issues but is miles better than some of the schlock getting to start games right now.

It does come down to opinion, of course, and everyone is entitled to their own.  I think it would be more entertaining to watch him play than the likes of Brian Hoyer & Scott Tolzein.  NFL teams obviously do not share that opinion.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited September 2017
    SF too, for that matter.

Kaepernick aisde, I don't think a lab-cloned QB with the DNA of Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Tom Brady, & Peyton Manning combined, with the ghosts of Walter Payton in the backfield and George Halas at wideout can help the Bears.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    He's not a traditional QB.  McCown sucks as a starting QB but he's traditional, can learn the playbook, and fits the style of way more coaches than Kap does.  Like i said---if you're not producing you're not worth the headache to these owners and GMs.  Not saying its right but that's how pro sports have always been.  Iverson could have signed anywhere for most of his career.  Once he became "average" teams were taking way lesser guys over him and he never got back into the NBA.  

Kap will eventually be signed just because a team will cave to the pressure.  People need to calm down tho.  He's more than likely not leaving the bench.  Will that be another social media outcry?
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Brady on Kaep

“I certainly hope so. I’ve always watched him and admired him, the way that he’s played. He was a great young quarterback, he came to our stadium and beat us, and took his team to the Super Bowl in 2012. He accomplished a lot in the pros, as a player, and he’s certainly qualified. I hope he gets a shot.”
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Go Mikey!