The Food Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    hedonist said:
    You know...this whole "mixed" nuts thing is a racket.  A sham and a scam.

The container says peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds, and Brazil nuts.

The bulk is peanuts and those goddamned oversized Brazils.  Maybe ten pecans.

I may have been lured in by Mr. Peanut, but no more.  Fuck you, Planters!  

you're a racket
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:

you're a racket
    I think she's more of a paddle than a racket.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

you're a racket

If I were holding that, I'd either be laughing or angrily yelling "Schnelle!"

You know what's a good nut?  The walnut.  Growing up, my mom used to have a big wooden bowl of them with a built-in cracker.

Those were the days!  Not that I can't do that now...
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

you're a racket

If I were holding that, I'd either be laughing or angrily yelling "Schnelle!"

You know what's a good nut?  The walnut.  Growing up, my mom used to have a big wooden bowl of them with a built-in cracker.

Those were the days!  Not that I can't do that now...
    I so want to cite the old Rudy Ray Moore "chinnuts" bit, but I'll refrain.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    When I was a kid, my grandfather and I used to go hunting for black walnuts. After the day or two it took de-hulling, washing, & drying them, we'd sit on paint buckets in front of the garage with a pair of work gloves on shelling them.
    When I was a kid, my grandfather and I used to go hunting for black walnuts. After the day or two it took de-hulling, washing, & drying them, we'd sit on paint buckets in front of the garage with a pair of work gloves on shelling them.
    I was gonna make a "racist!" joke, but am curious about black walnuts.  Never heard of them before.

Google, here I come!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Foie Gras

Yes, No or Never Tried?

(I'm for responsibly sourced Foie Gras)

I am 100% in the 'Tastes Amazing" camp...but I already shared that I love offal so loving a fatty liver is no stretch for me.

Best way I have eaten it was Foie Gras Cotton Candy at a Jose Andres joint (The Bazaar) in LA.  A few 10C board members joined me and also loved this.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:
    I was gonna make a "racist!" joke, but am curious about black walnuts.  Never heard of them before.

Google, here I come!
    Not worth the trouble lol
    Stains your hands tobacco yellow and they are often sour.
    Chestnuts and butternuts are better.

I cut down all my black walnut trees because they are a pain and some members of the juglans family are toxic to most plants worth cultivating. Juglans Nigra is definitely one of them.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I had a bachelor's dinner, meat and cheese tray.
    Troyer's trail Bologna and Guggisberg original baby swiss, a world champion several times.
    Both from Holmes County, Ohio, the largest Amish community in the world.

When the ingredients are the best, you don't have to do much with them.
    Nutting!  An old time tradition that is almost entirely gone.
    The eastern US forests used to be bursting with beechnut, chestnut, butternut, hickory, and walnut, but blights and logging for lumber have wiped them out almost entirely.
    I have about 2 dozen shagbark hickory trees and as many black walnuts on 5 acres.
    The lumber assessment was over 15,000$ which is about twice what you might expect from that tract because of the hickory.
    They can have my trees when they pry them from my cold dead hands lol
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017

Foie Gras

Yes, No or Never Tried?

I am 100% in the 'Tastes Amazing" camp...but I already shared that I love offal so loving a fatty liver is no stretch for me.

Best way I have eaten it was Foie Gras Cotton Candy at a Jose Andres joint (The Bazaar) in LA.  A few 10C board members joined me and also loved this.
    I LOOOOOOVE it. One of my favorite foods. I've even had some of the best stuff straight from France - my French ex's parents came to visit and brought us some. Just amazing, nice and simple on a real french baguette (I say "real" because some people seem to think that a baguette is basically just regular white bread in the shape of a baguette, lol). This great restaurant I discovered recently serves it (Juniper on Keefer St), but I went for charcuterie and duck breast with pickled peaches, beets, and fennel (which was DELICIOUS!), but next time I go it will definitely get the foie gras for an appy. I can't wait. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Foie Gras

Yes, No or Never Tried?

:)

In this case, one awesome bite is / was perfect.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I had it tonight. In Raleigh and took clients out to a steakhouse and had It seared over a green and bean mixture.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    It rocks,!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Foie Gras

Yes, No or Never Tried?

Liver...  Not a fan of liver.  But I'd try this just to say I did.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Reading about all this nice Food is making me Hungry...
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2017
    Ok coming from Australia who's up for some Vegemite Sandwiches :tongue: haha
  • i_lov_it said:
    Ok coming from Australia who's up for some Vegemite Sandwiches :tongue: haha
    So.  What regional foods are loved in your area but have no desire anywhere else?

I know about vegemite in Oz.  Then there's Mauby in Barbados, a horrible drink...

Anything else?
    Not my area, but these come to mind: haggis (Scotland), lutefisk (Scandinavia), kæstur hákarl (Iceland)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited September 2017
    Spiedies! From where I grew up.

I don't know about no desire anywhere else, they just aren't anywhere else
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217

Haaaa!!! I haven't heard of those in years!  My college boyfriend was from Binghamton, NY....that's the general area these are from right??  His family would bring the "special spiedie marinade" down every time they came to visit. I believe they grilled chicken skewers soaked in the marinade and made some kind of sandwiches maybe..  it's hard to remember. They went bonkers over this stuff, "it's spiedies night!!!" ;) I run across the marinade ever so often in a grocery store and it makes me laugh.
    The Hicks in my family used to go on about something called a maderight from before they left the sticks in the 70s. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Old Bay seasoning
    National Bohemian (Natty Boh) beer
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Haaaa!!! I haven't heard of those in years!  My college boyfriend was from Binghamton, NY....that's the general area these are from right??  His family would bring the "special spiedie marinade" down every time they came to visit. I believe they grilled chicken skewers soaked in the marinade and made some kind of sandwiches maybe..  it's hard to remember. They went bonkers over this stuff, "it's spiedies night!!!" ;) I run across the marinade ever so often in a grocery store and it makes me laugh.
    Binghamton, NY indeed. Salamidas spiedie sauce. There are others but that's the best and the one you see. Chicken (or other meat), cubed and marinated at least overnight then grilled on metal skewers. Popped on a slice of Italian bread, though the restaurants now do sub rolls tool. 

Spiedies are the best and everywhere I have lived I have brought them and people love them 
    ^ They were very tasty and I think the excitement of the whole "event" made it even better. Beer, darts, that washer toss game that's like cornhole, but better...
  • ^ They were very tasty and I think the excitement of the whole "event" made it even better. Beer, darts, that washer toss game that's like cornhole, but better...
    Washers is a construction site game, lol.  That's what you'd play when waiting...
  • Before and after. 
    Brussel sprouts and teriyaki chicken. This paleo friendly so the teriyaki is actually coconut aminos. 
    ^ They were very tasty and I think the excitement of the whole "event" made it even better. Beer, darts, that washer toss game that's like cornhole, but better...
    Washers is a construction site game, lol.  That's what you'd play when waiting...
    Such a great game!! ;) ^ Looks really good, how did you cook those brussel sprouts?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Old Bay seasoning
    National Bohemian (Natty Boh) beer
    Chesapeake Margarita:  a can of Boh with an Old Bay rim
  • ^ They were very tasty and I think the excitement of the whole "event" made it even better. Beer, darts, that washer toss game that's like cornhole, but better...
    Such a great game!! ;) ^ Looks really good, how did you cook those brussel sprouts?
    In the cast iron skillet add thinly sliced/diced garlic, 2 tbs coconut oil and couple dashes of red pepper.  

Cook on med heat and stir occasionally.  I like when they get browned more but I was in a rush...