Red Hot Chili Peppers

Comments

• dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187

Goodbye Angels, Encore, Go Robot, The Longest Wave, and Sick Love still get a lot of play from me. Always interested in what these masters of funk are up to.

2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited September 2017
    I bought. Blood sugar. By the way. One hot minute

By the way definitely compares to any album I've ever heard. 

Dose
  • Shyner said:
    I bought. Blood sugar. By the way. One hot minute

By the way definitely compares to any album I've ever heard. 

Dose
    You did well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    This is my assumption of what i will say after owning them all
    The peppers records in greatness
    1 by the way
    2 bloodsugarsexmagik
    3 stadium arcadium
    4 californication
    7 one hot minute
    5 the getaway
    6 I'm with you
    8 mother's milk
    9 uplifter mofo
    10 freaky
    11 rhcp
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187

This would be my Top to bottom on RCHP albums.

1. Bloodsugarsexmagik

2. Californication

3. By The Way

4. Stadium Arcadium

5. The Getaway

6. I'm With You

7. One Hot Minute

8. Mother's Milk

9. Uplifter Mofo

10. Freaky

11. RHCP

2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I'd have to leave out the Klinghoffer records, since I've never listened to them.

My ranking:
    1. By the Way
    2. Stadium Arcadium
    3. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    4. Californication
    5. Freaky Styley
    6. Uplift Mofo Paty Plan
    7. Mother's Milk
    8. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9. One Hot Minute
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Mother's Milk should be atleast 5th best. That's a damn good album.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Mother's Milk should be atleast 5th best. That's a damn good album.
    I don't like the production at all. Great songs, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    1. Stadium Arcadium
    2. It's a tie... These albums are both so incredible in different ways....By the Way and Blood Sugar
    3. Californication
    4. Mother's Milk
    5. One Hot Minute  - I never gave this album a chance when it first came out. I was just so upset that Frusciante had left the band.  I was pissed and wrote it off.  But maybe I just wasn't ready for it? I finally gave it a true first listen last year and it really is fantastic. Another example of this band being way ahead of their time.
    6. These are also a tie, but for a different reason. Freaky Styley - Uplift Mofo - RHCP
    Haven't listened to these three as much, but I have mad respect for them. Maybe one day I will listen to them more and form a better opinion.
    7. The Getaway
    8. I'm With You
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    dankind said:
    "Californication"... The production of this album hurts to listen to. Great album but damn, wish it had a little more strength to the sound. 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Attaway77 said:
    dankind said:
    "Californication"... The production of this album hurts to listen to. Great album but damn, wish it had a little more strength to the sound. 
    There's an unmixed / mastered version out there that is SO much gentler on the ears. Highly recommend. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    I'm With You & One Hot Minute are underrated IMO. One Hot Minute especially. I saw them on that tour & fuck me, those songs melted my 17 yr old face off. "Transcending" is so, so good! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

1. Bloodsugarsexmagik - This is a perfect record; front to back there's not a bad song on it

2. Mother's Milk - The album that got me into RHCP in the first place

3. By The Way - 'Can't Stop' alone makes this a favourite of mine

4. The Getaway - I liked this much more than I was expecting to. I think it's a great record 

5. Californication - I probably overplayed this when it came out, otherwise it may be higher on the list

6. Stadium Arcadium - Just too damn long, with a few too many fillers for me

7. I'm With You / I'm Beside You - I liked I'm With You a lot at first, but it has faded over time. I'm Beside You has some really good songs too, but you can see why the others didn't make the original cut 

8. One Hot Minute - 'My Friends' is still a great song, but the rest of the album kinda passes me by.

9= Uplift Mofo Party Plan / Freaky Styley / RHCP - These were fun when I was a kid but I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to them

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Wish i could mix mother's milk myself
    Great tunes
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    1.  Blood Sugar, etc
    2.  Californication
    3. By The Way
    4. The Getaway
    5. One Hot Minute
    6.  Stadium Arcadium
    7.  Im With You
    8. Mother';s Milk
    9. RHCP
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Not much love for One Hot Minute? 

I know it's just not the same without JF but everyone else in the band fucking brought it for those sessions. It's probably my top pick just for the basslines alone. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

I know it's just not the same without JF but everyone else in the band fucking brought it for those sessions. It's probably my top pick just for the basslines alone. 
    Dave Navarro is awesome. In Jane's Addiction.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    dudeman said:

Warped kicks ass
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:

;) That's exactly how I felt until last year. I pretty much refused to listen to it when it first came out.... I'm a J Fru addict.  I listened to the OHM songs on the radio...blah blah blah. Pretty much tuned them out. Then, around three years ago My Friends came on my car radio and I was overwhelmed and captivated by the pure sadness and beauty of the song... I was really getting into it and starting to appreciate Navarro and then Bammmmm!! I got into a a car wreck. First I've ever caused. Didn't hurt anyone fortunately, but totaled my car and gave my self a concussion.. At that point I completely wrote off the album. Decided it was cursed.

... Last year a new friend told me how much they loved the album and I hesistantly gave it another go. Amazing. This album did not make sense to me back then, yet now I can identify with it. Those geniuses were way beyond my comprehension back then. It's funny how albums just click with you at different points in your life. I believe it's all relative, or at least that is how some albums seem to hit me.
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:

;) That's exactly how I felt until last year. I pretty much refused to listen to it when it first came out.... I'm a J Fru addict.  I listened to the OHM songs on the radio...blah blah blah. Pretty much tuned them out. Then, around three years ago My Friends came on my car radio and I was overwhelmed and captivated by the pure sadness and beauty of the song... I was really getting into it and starting to appreciate Navarro and then Bammmmm!! I got into a a car wreck. First I've ever caused. Didn't hurt anyone fortunately, but totaled my car and gave my self a concussion.. At that point I completely wrote off the album. Decided it was cursed.

... Last year a new friend told me how much they loved the album and I hesistantly gave it another go. Amazing. This album did not make sense to me back then, yet now I can identify with it. Those geniuses were way beyond my comprehension back then. It's funny how albums just click with you at different points in your life. I believe it's all relative, or at least that is how some albums seem to hit me.
    I appreciate One Hot Minute for the forced change of direction, and everyone rose to the occasion except Navarro. I love some songs on The album, but the weak link on that record is definitely Navarro. The band did more to adapt to his style than vice versa.

That being said, it was a neat experiment, and it has aged a lot better than I ever thought it would.

Jane's Addiction is an all-time favorite band for me. And Navarro is a huge reason why. I love his metal-tinged tone and his psychedelic textures. Just an amazing guitar player. And even though he was most definitely out of place in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, he never really sounds that way; I credit the rest of the band for that. It sounds forced but certainly not wrong.

Mother's Milk in a way set the precedent for this since baby John Frusciante was forced to play against his funky style at the time by Beinhorn, who wanted more of a metal sound on the record. John obliged, but you can hear he didn't like it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    ^ It really has aged well over time, or as you said, better than you thought it would. That's an interesting way to think about it.  
  • Okay.

I heard Desecration Smile randomly while having drinks with some friends at a pub. I had to feign enthusiasm for conversation as I sat back and let the song wash over me. It had been over five years (maybe even more) since I last heard it.

When I got home I cranked it up on my turntable. I can't stop listening to it.

This band is freaking awesome.

* I've tried a few times now to rank my albums in order of preference as others have done. It proved to be a challenging task. Stadium is number one for me. I get stuck on deciding number two (Blood? Californication?). Eesh.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    ^^^Hear! Hear!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Okay.

I heard Desecration Smile randomly while having drinks with some friends at a pub. I had to feign enthusiasm for conversation as I sat back and let the song wash over me. It had been over five years (maybe even more) since I last heard it.

* I've tried a few times now to rank my albums in order of preference as others have done. It proved to be a challenging task. Stadium is number one for me. I get stuck on deciding number two (Blood? Californication?). Eesh.
    Strip My Mind off that set is fucking fantastic!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Okay.

Strip My Mind off that set is fucking fantastic!
    "Wet Sand" is good for the soul. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Oh yeah...
    www.cluthelee.com
    ^All that :bow:  Definitely my favorite RHCP album.
    It's all just so good. Turn it Again...holy fireballs!
    And my daughter's favorite song off that album, Slow Cheetah....one of the coolest song on Earth.

* I watched the Desecration Smile video on YouTube a couple years ago. Fantastic song and great video. I never knew the video existed until I stumbled across it.  At one point J. Fru plays the air keyboard. That has to be my favorite part. :lol:
    ... And while I'm on the subject of videos. Remember Fortune Faded?? Such a badass song and video.