Vinyl rules ...... But

You have to turn it over

I'm so tired my feet hurt i can barely move

Cds are ok. 

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    A cd is like bad acid..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited September 2017
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ^ :lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    There is a definite time and a place for an iPod.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I think cd's are the worst format.  You have to store them, but they don't sound a lick better than lossless digital.  I retired my cd player and ripped all my cd's at least 10 years ago, when I got my first Squeezebox.  
    And I agree Ipods are great, particularly for cars.  Bluetooth audio is fantastic in a vehicle, or even better, a little 64gb USB is the best.  It sounds 100x better than Sirius, which is just awful.  I have it and use, but I can barely listen to PJ radio because it sounds so bad.  
    Oh yeah.. vinyl is the best..... hands down.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I remember when I got my first squeezebox.
    I was 16.....those were the.....wait, what were we talking about?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I remember when I got my first squeezebox.
    I was 16.....those were the.....wait, what were we talking about?
    =)

Though I have no means to play our vinyl or cd's, I refuse to part with them for purely sentimental reasons.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    vinyl is nothing but an overpriced money grab. you need dog hearing you tell any difference from a good ol' CD. plus, vinyl is problematic in a vehicle.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Wobbie said:
    vinyl is nothing but an overpriced money grab. you need dog hearing you tell any difference from a good ol' CD. plus, vinyl is problematic in a vehicle.
    I agree.
    Also, if you don't shell out for high quality equipment, there's no difference worth noting.
    Who has a car stereo system that is good enough to tell an MP3 from a CD?  Do adults still buy after market car stereos?  I thought that perished in the flames of Woodstock '99
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Wobbie said:
    I agree.
    Also, if you don't shell out for high quality equipment, there's no difference worth noting.
    Who has a car stereo system that is good enough to tell an MP3 from a CD?  Do adults still buy after market car stereos?  I thought that perished in the flames of Woodstock '99

You don't need to buy a crappy looking alpine or Pioneer when you can get Bowers or Bang & Olufson in some vehicles.  And yes,  a cd is better than mp3 in that environment.

But that's not really the argument.  It was about vinyl.  And yes you're right,  you have to shell out $ for audiophile equipment.  If you're playing a low end TT into a Sony avr and Pioneer speakers,  then you probably wouldn't heart a difference.  But if you have a good setup,  you will. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm poor as fuck so, yeah, the junk stuff works for me lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    for those who don't know, I'm a "get off my lawn" kinda guy.

my buddy has a high end nakamichi system but his wife won't let him play it loud :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    for those who don't know, I'm a "get off my lawn" kinda guy.

my buddy has a high end nakamichi system but his wife won't let him play it loud :lol:
    NO FUCKING WAY.
    He needs a bad system or a better wife. 
    mrussel1 said:

I know a lot of wives with "turn it down" syndrome. I might even be married to one :confounded:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

I know a lot of wives with "turn it down" syndrome. I might even be married to one :confounded:
    My wife thinks it's an excuse to go shopping.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh sure, honey. You like to touch that knob!

:weary:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:

Oh sure, honey. You like to touch that knob!

:weary:
    She uses a glove for both...

Don't make me post the Diner scene.
    "it" for my wife is volume; dan's wife turns down sex. who can blame her?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited September 2017
    Wobbie, that is why you listen through headphones.
    For me, it is less about the sound and more about the experience.
    I have my JMXO vodka rocks.
    I have my headphones.
    Family is all in bed - and I engage with the music.  It is loud - very loud - and I hold the jacket in my hand, feet up on my desk, chair leaned back.  
    This format makes it so I feel compelled to listen to the whole album, or at worst the side of the album, and I feel like I am a kid again.
    I hear all of the things I miss when I am rocking out and working, driving, cooking, or fucking.
    It is about the music, and really not much else

Many times I have the liner notes there....and I read the lyrics as I hear them.

I get that it is not for everyone.

Works for me.  

I'm relatively new to the "game" and have spent thousands.

I know a guy whose entire garage is filled with records and looks like a record store.  He has been collecting for nearly 30 years and he swears he has paid more than $15 for a record only a small number of times.  Most of his records were garage sale / flea market type purchases for a buck.

I clean them.  Before I start each record I methodically clean again with 2 types of brushes, and then I clean the stylus.

I feel ready; to listen.

To each their own, of course.  

I'm going to listen to an album right now....and I'm going to enjoy myself.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    That looks suspiciously like a Newbury Comics special.  

I don't listen through headphones, but I like to listen loud.  When I finished my third floor, I put a special sound deadening barrier down before I laid the wood (ha!).  And then I installed an exterior door (insulated) rather than an interior.  The result is that my wife and kids can't hear anything down below up to about -15 db, which is plenty loud.  
    It's 10:30 now, so I think I'm going to listen to my new Albini mastered 45 of In Utero.  Haven't opened it yet.  
    hedonist said:
    Don't make me post the Diner scene.
    can't have too many Animal House references.  
    mrussel1 said:
    That looks suspiciously like a Newbury Comics special.  

I don't listen through headphones, but I like to listen loud.  When I finished my third floor, I put a special sound deadening barrier down before I laid the wood (ha!).  And then I installed an exterior door (insulated) rather than an interior.  The result is that my wife and kids can't hear anything down below up to about -15 db, which is plenty loud.  
    It's 10:30 now, so I think I'm going to listen to my new Albini mastered 45 of In Utero.  Haven't opened it yet.  
    Yah, I think it is.  Serious nostalgia for this one...my buddy in college had a record player and after we watched Res Dogs (on a sneak peak at USC) he couldn't stop talking about the soundtrack and bought it as soon as he could.  Heard it 1000x, easily. 

I didn't have it and when they posted this for sale it made an easy grab. 
    And, I would love to crank it up loud, but really...what I realized when I started listening through headphone was that it was very intimate.  I have listened to loud music alone in a room many times - for me, the cans are a really cool way to digest it.

I'm not an audiophile - I will leave that to you and @lolobugg -- I will continue to be the caveman idiot who loves to pop on the cans and enjoy his music.  No measurement here -- just an enjoyment factor.  (And that is 10x)
    Love it.
    I'm listening to amercan pickers thru headphones......does that count? :lol:

I do have plans for tne hold steady thru headphones.....should not be tonight, cuz I'm drunk.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I'd like that album through cans but I don't have it yet. 

American Pickers is.....not for me.