The Food Thread

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    ^ I definitely could use a better knife and I really don't know that I've ever sharpened the thing in the last 12 or so years...  :smiley:
    Haha, yes, I think that is probably the problem! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ ;)

I'll work on this!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited September 2017
    ^ ;)

I'll work on this!
    I think maybe knives are a valid point of discussion in this thread actually. A good knife/knife set is a super valuable cooking tool that shouldn't be underrated! I recently got the kitchen-aid professional set. Not my first choice, but I couldn't afford anything better (even that goes for $700 for only the 7-piece, $900 for the 11-peice, but I bought it with airmiles, whoohoo). Good knives are fucking expensive. Anyway, it is wonderful to prepare food with a great, sharp knife set! And those kitchen shears are fantastic - I should have got some of those years ago. I do need a sharpening stone still though. Sharpening steels alone don't do the whole job.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    There are no better knives on this planet than Cutco Cutlery. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2022
    It's a Bukowski Tavern night!

Chicken Bomb
    Sautéed shaved chicken smothered in a cheese dip (a warm concoction of American cheese, green chilis, jalapeños, diced tomatoes and diced onions), roasted red peppers and caramelized onions on a baguette. 

Served with fries.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    That place rocks....right up until when booze is needed.  Beer/wine only
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I use Cutco!

I tried to sell them when I was jobless in a new city, that didn't go so well.
    It's almost a pyramid scheme, maybe not almost, I dunno.

I did make enough to pay off my sales sample kit, so it wasn't all bad.
    Great knives, that was 8 years ago and they haven't been sharpened but they are still sharper than a brand new cheap knife.
    The ones I rarely use are wicked sharp.  I've never cut myself, but I've unwittingly removed frightfully large pieces of fingernail like it was sliding through and onion.  My mother in law had to get stitches because she grabbed one in the dishwater on accident.
    Now she's afraid of them and won't use them lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I use Cutco!

Great knives, that was 8 years ago and they haven't been sharpened but they are still sharper than a brand new cheap knife.
    The ones I rarely use are wicked sharp.  I've never cut myself, but I've unwittingly removed frightfully large pieces of fingernail like it was sliding through and onion.  My mother in law had to get stitches because she grabbed one in the dishwater on accident.

HA!

It really is like a pyramid scheme. I sold them during a Christmas break in college back in the late 90's. The only people I sold them to were my parents, my neighbor, my grandmother, and my high school baseball coach. I still have my super shears that you can turn pennies into cork screws with.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    My one suggestion for keeping the knives sharp is to hand wash them. Don't put them in the dishwasher. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambs said:
    I use Cutco!

I gave my knives away and I miss them so...

Looked on ebay and there aren't any cheap on there either!

Cutco really are good damn knives.

@rgambs  remember there is lifetime sharpening!!!
  • rgambs said:
    What's this?!?
  • Paleo chicken cutlets and side salad with pomegranate, capers, cakes and maters from the garden, parsley, arugula and lettuce. Oh and beets. 
    Paleo chicken cutlets and side salad with pomegranate, capers, cakes and maters from the garden, parsley, arugula and lettuce. Oh and beets. 

Looks good.

What's the cutlet recipe? I'm due to make cutlets. Been too long

chinese-happy.jpg
    Paleo chicken cutlets and side salad with pomegranate, capers, cakes and maters from the garden, parsley, arugula and lettuce. Oh and beets. 
    This one always gets collective groans from my family.

I have a running gag in which every time I finish pooping after eating beets, I come out of the bathroom and exclaim, "Beets the shit out of me!"

Why they don't think that's hilarious every damn time is beyond me. They don't deserve me. Assholes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:
    What's this?!?
    Just a couple of unremarkable dinners lol
    Beef fajitas and Cuban style black beans and rice. Zucchini, onion, poblano, and jalapeno, and beef inside, cheese sauce and maters outside.

Spaghetti with all the same stuff but with Italian sausage and a nice little hillbilly butterbread.

We eat the same foods all summer.  Asian, Mexican, Italian, repeat.  The goal is to eat produce when it's fresh and those meals use it up fastest.
    People always say, "make zucchini bread!"

Ok, now I just spent an hour in the kitchen and I only used half a small zucchini lol
    What is a mater?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    What is a mater?

Nothing. What's the matter with you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ms. Haiku said:
    What is a mater?

Nothing. What's the matter with you?
    lol

Ms. Haiku said:
    What is a mater?
    Mater, as in "toe-mater" or tomato.

• Paleo chicken cutlets and side salad with pomegranate, capers, cakes and maters from the garden, parsley, arugula and lettuce. Oh and beets. 

Looks good.

Makes 8 cutlets

Pound chicken flat

1 cup almond flour
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1tsp onion powder
    1tsp garlic powder
    dash red pepper flakes
    2tsp Italian seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste
    Mix together ( i tend to go heavier with the garlic and Italian seasoning, just my preference)

3 tbs coconut oil
    2 in pan at first if you cant fit all the cutlets in.
    Add the last tbs for the remaining cutlets.

beat 1 egg in bowl

Chicken in egg then into batter then into pan.  Med/High heat 4 min each side.

Looks good.

Makes 8 cutlets

Pound chicken flat

1 cup almond flour
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1tsp onion powder
    1tsp garlic powder
    dash red pepper flakes
    2tsp Italian seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste
    Mix together ( i tend to go heavier with the garlic and Italian seasoning, just my preference)

3 tbs coconut oil
    2 in pan at first if you cant fit all the cutlets in.
    Add the last tbs for the remaining cutlets.

beat 1 egg in bowl

Chicken in egg then into batter then into pan.  Med/High heat 4 min each side.

I forgot to add fresh parsley on top.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Did a salmon bowl along these lines last night.  One of our weeknight go to recipes.  So easy, so delicious

http://www.skinnytaste.com/seattle-asian-salmon-bowl/

Sunday did some burgers.  Got some nice ground beef at the farmer's market and just did salt and pepper in them.  Pickeld jalapenos and some horseradish cheddar cheese along with tomato and onion on top.  Grilled eggplant and a potato salad with leftover baby yellow tomatoes and shallots
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Tilapia.
    Iron Skillet -- medium high heat -  2 good pats of butter.  Melt. 
    Drag each piece through butter on both sides.  Turn to medium.  Season (aggressively as always)
    Flip "when it looks right" - 2-3 mins
    Season again
    Spoon butter over fish repeatedly until "done" - another 2-3 minutes.
    Bomb some variety of sea salt on them.

Eat with whatever the frig you want. 
    Tonight it will be a big ass salad, pinto beans, and baby bok choy.

Fish rocks.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i'm gonna say it here. love me some good fruitcake. never understood how fruitcake gets the shit it gets  
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I can hang with fruitcake but at holidays there always seems to be better shit to Chow down on if you feel like eating something awful for you.  

Yule Log?
    Would prefer fruit cake.  Yule log looks like fresh log.
    Tilapia.nu
    Iron Skillet -- medium high heat -  2 good pats of butter.  Melt. 
    Drag each piece through butter on both sides.  Turn to medium.  Season (aggressively as always)
    Flip "when it looks right" - 2-3 mins
    Season again
    Spoon butter over fish repeatedly until "done" - another 2-3 minutes.
    Bomb some variety of sea salt on them.

Eat with whatever the frig you want. 
    Tonight it will be a big ass salad, pinto beans, and baby bok choy.

Fish rocks.
    I have a tilapia fillet I bought fresh and put in my freezer. Do I let cold water pour over it for about 20 minutes or do I microwave it for a couple minutes before I cook it?

I may have asked this question already, but I haven't cooked it, yet.
    100% water thaw.  Be sure to take out of the package and rinse again and the use paper towels to "dry" the fish.
    I buy frozen more often than not since most of it in the market has already been frozen.
    Also, a full freezer means you are never far away from a great meal.
    Veggies, steaks, Hamburg, whole chickens, skrimps, and fish.  Always in my freezer.  I could go two weeks and eat like a goddamn boss.  (Shit, a turkey would feed me well for most of a week)

Bonus for tilapia....the shit tastes even better the next day, cold.  Break it up over a good salad with some pecans or walnuts?  Gtfoh.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    You know...this whole "mixed" nuts thing is a racket.  A sham and a scam.

The container says peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds, and Brazil nuts.

The bulk is peanuts and those goddamned oversized Brazils.  Maybe ten pecans.

I may have been lured in by Mr. Peanut, but no more.  Fuck you, Planters!  
    chadwick said:
    i'm gonna say it here. love me some good fruitcake. never understood how fruitcake gets the shit it gets  

Carrot Cake. Juggler's mom made/makes (?) the greatest carrot cakes you will ever eat.
    chinese-happy.jpg