Hurricane Irma

12346»

Comments

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    JC29856 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    SMH

Florida police have warned people not to fire their weapons at Hurricane Irma after thousands responded to a Facebook event.

"To clarify, DO NOT shoot weapons @ #Irma. You won’t make it turn around & it will have very dangerous side effects," the Pasco Sheriff's office tweeted late Saturday.

The Facebook event is titled "Shoot at Hurricane Irma" and over 50,000 people have expressed interest in taking part.

Lol. The group started this as a complete joke ... Apparently some of the more stupid idiots in the area may have taken it seriously. :lol:
    which area was it? maybe we can use deductive reasoning and come up with who they likely voted for
    They hand wrote "Mickey Mouse" on the ballot...
    that's funny, I remember back in 2004, when Nader was trying to get on the ballot by petitioning a certain number of signatures, in PA it was like 22,000 or so, the DNC and McAuliffe would hire the homeless ($1 per signature) to fill in the petition sheets with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Clark Kent, so they could then turn around and challenge the signatures in court in order to remove Nader from the ballot. classic DNC.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Still waiting to hear from a few family and friends.  Sure hope they're ok.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited September 2017
    Charleston, SC seems to have been smacked harder than expected. 

Here in Columbia there are just the occasional wind gusts and rain. Haven't experienced serious issues or had anyone talking about much damage or anything around here. Occasional tree branch and some places without power. 

@tweedyfanjen all well for you here in cola still? 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Charleston, SC seems to have been smacked harder than expected. 

Here in Columbia there are just the occasional wind gusts and rain. Haven't experienced serious issues or had anyone talking about much damage or anything around here. Occasional tree branch and some places without power. 

We got expected storm surge here. Almost 10ft for 6 hours or so. A LOT of wind and rain. Several tornado warnings.

A boat that hurricane Hugo deposited on the side of the road leading into folly beach, that has become somewhat of a landmark, was moved to some guys backyard. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Charleston, SC seems to have been smacked harder than expected. 

We got expected storm surge here. Almost 10ft for 6 hours or so. A LOT of wind and rain. Several tornado warnings.

A boat that hurricane Hugo deposited on the side of the road leading into folly beach, that has become somewhat of a landmark, was moved to some guys backyard. 

I hope you and yours are okay, Scott, with all of that.

Weird bit about the boat. I imagine a lot of things are where they aren't supposed to be, and that it will be a major mess, sorting out and salvaging property.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

I hope you and yours are okay, Scott, with all of that.

Weird bit about the boat. I imagine a lot of things are where they aren't supposed to be, and that it will be a major mess, sorting out and salvaging property.
    I'm good. I live in Berkeley county. Just north of Charleston. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Glad to hear you are ok.  So, do they think the flooding is done for now?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    back in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago, not a blip on the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYyFz6TiPlQ

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Smellyman said:
    back in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago, not a blip on the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYyFz6TiPlQ

That's insane. 

And, yep, not getting the coverage it should here in the west.  That's insane too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:

maybe this needs to change

In Florida, a right-to-work state with a long history of evacuations from hurricanes and other natural disasters, there is no blanket law protecting fleeing employees from dismissal for job abandonment, said Ben Yormak, a Bonita Springs employment lawyer.

“Florida just doesn’t have a specific law that says if there’s a hurricane, you’ve got to let people go,” Yormak said.

https://amp.naplesnews.com/amp/642866001

What a stupid argument from a lawyer.  The people he is referring to are in the field of first responders, community servicers, etc. It's clear that they were informed of these responsibilities when they took the job.  By contrast, my people in Naples were not told they had to work in emergencies (no mention in the employment agreement), and we closed our building at 230 yesterday.  Further, we share the building with Hertz corporate and the building manager closed the building today.  That's what is happening all over south Florida. People couldn't go to work if they wanted to do so. 
    http://abc7chicago.com/amp/weather/pizza-hut-manager-threatened-to-punish-workers-evacuating-for-irma/2405109/

pizza hut employees have "responsibility and commitment" to the community! 

Hey, yeah I lost power around 7p last night and finally was restored about 1p today. What a long night. I saw some trees down, shutters on the ground and some minor damage to roofs but not much other than that.
    I'm through with screaming
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    hedonist said:
    Be careful as you venture out, g. There are bound to be some precarious situations out there. Good luck. 
    Agreed.  And great attitude as you've been going through this; I'm not sure I'd be as calm (or come off as such ;) ).

Well you know me when all hell is breaking loose I keep my motto in mind being graceful under pressure. I'm fine house is fine, lost power for 24 hours and went to work today. However, my avatar tree out front of the house was blown over. I then became the talk of the neighborhood and got to meet many people who have never met. Mine was THE largest tree out of all the the trees that I saw blown over on my 7 mile bicycle yesterday.

At work today I came to find out one of our generators didn't click on and the freezer merchandise was off 10 degrees. We lost everything that was on the shelves which amounted to an estimate of $64,000. The odd part is the merchandise is STILL good it's just that we can't sell it to the public. The worse part of all this is that all that merchandise (shrimp, lobster tails, swordfish, various seafood, meats, hamburgers, vegetables, etc) is thrown in the trash and destroyed. Very disappointing that nothing useful can be done with it knowing so many in our area are hungry at this time. That sucked royally.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    ^^ Ugh, that DOES suck! ... Maybe you should have had a big block party and grilled up all that food. ;) Are you insured for all that lost product at least?
    Glad you made it through fine!
    What is an avatar tree? I'm thinking the one from the movie, lol, which is indeed very large.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    JC29856 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:

In Florida, a right-to-work state with a long history of evacuations from hurricanes and other natural disasters, there is no blanket law protecting fleeing employees from dismissal for job abandonment, said Ben Yormak, a Bonita Springs employment lawyer.

“Florida just doesn’t have a specific law that says if there’s a hurricane, you’ve got to let people go,” Yormak said.

What a stupid argument from a lawyer.  The people he is referring to are in the field of first responders, community servicers, etc. It's clear that they were informed of these responsibilities when they took the job.  By contrast, my people in Naples were not told they had to work in emergencies (no mention in the employment agreement), and we closed our building at 230 yesterday.  Further, we share the building with Hertz corporate and the building manager closed the building today.  That's what is happening all over south Florida. People couldn't go to work if they wanted to do so. 
    http://abc7chicago.com/amp/weather/pizza-hut-manager-threatened-to-punish-workers-evacuating-for-irma/2405109/

Oh wait... there's the rest of the story which you conveniently leave out.  That's so unlike you.

"We absolutely do not have a policy that dictates when team members can leave or return from a disaster, and the manager who posted this letter did not follow company guidelines," the company said in a statement.

The company added that all stores in Irma's path had been shuttered and wouldn't reopen "until local authorities deem the area safe."

Pizza Hut declined to say whether the manager involved has been disciplined.
    mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:

Oh wait... there's the rest of the story which you conveniently leave out.  That's so unlike you.

"We absolutely do not have a policy that dictates when team members can leave or return from a disaster, and the manager who posted this letter did not follow company guidelines," the company said in a statement.

The company added that all stores in Irma's path had been shuttered and wouldn't reopen "until local authorities deem the area safe."

John Carney
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^ Ugh, that DOES suck! ... Maybe you should have had a big block party and grilled up all that food. ;) Are you insured for all that lost product at least?
    Glad you made it through fine!
    What is an avatar tree? I'm thinking the one from the movie, lol, which is indeed very large.
    In a way it is insured in some complicated formula headquarters writes it off, we did make almost three quarters of a million $$$ leading up to the storm. I refer to tree as an avatar tree because It's so big and was around before this neighborhood was built. Also the way it fell and now 15 foot root system it looked like something from that movie. I knew the tree could fall but I also knew which way it leaned, where all the heavier braches were and most importantly which direction the winds were going to blow. If all that was the opposite there's no way in hell I would've stayed home throughout Irma, I would've taken myself to the nearest shelter. That would've cut my house in two easily.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JC29856 said:

Pizza Hut, Comet Pizza. Comet Pizza, Pizza Hut. Its all the same. I wonder if they get Pizza Hut at the Peruvian embassy?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Glad those of you in the path of the storm survived and hopefully you can get things cleaned up. Sucks to hear about your business losses G.

I have a friend that just moved to Ft. Lauderdale last month. She was going to ride out the storm until Thursday, but then decided to leave. She hasn't been back yet, but hopefully her house is ok