***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Finally seeing them this Saturday!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    goldrush said:
    new single/video.  these guys have some of the best videos ever\
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqiFPpw2fY

I agree, it's always fun to see a new Foo video. And it's cool that Dave's daughters got to be in this one too.
    yeah has a  Stranger Things thing going on also.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Chevy Metal played a surprise show last night at Oxford Art Factory in Sydney. Tickets only went on sale at 1pm yesterday afternoon, limited to one wristband per person and the venue only holds 500 people.
    It would have been awesome to see Dave (in an ABBA t-shirt?!?) and Taylor play a couple of hours of covers in such a small venue!

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/08/29/the-long-road-to-ruin-were-trying-to-get-into-that-dave-grohl-gig-tonight/

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/08/30/we-got-into-that-surprise-dave-grohl-gig-last-night-and-it-was-the-best-tuesday-gig-youll-ever-see/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YDS%20300817&utm_content=YDS%20300817+CID_e8e23b0902ed6fc68e72fdadc52da29e&utm_source=Daily%20SPA&utm_term=We%20Got%20Into%20That%20Surprise%20Dave%20Grohl%20Gig%20Last%20Night

"Just so you know, we’re a cover band," Taylor Hawkins announces this up front to settle any expectations. After all, when Hawkins, the drummer from Foo Fighters is joined by his long-time cohort, Dave Grohl, on stage we might not know what to expect, but the band is a ‘70s dirt rock cover band formed by singer and bassist Wiley Hodgden (The Birds of Satan). Taylor is now a regular member of the group, but the guitarists seem to be rotated around. Tonight, having flown 26 hours to be there, Brent Woods joined the line-up from London.

Oh, and then there's Dave Grohl. "I’ve been auditioning for this band for ten years! They’re my favourite band in the world!" Grohl, of course, is the main man of the night. His ABBA shirt is worn seemingly un-ironically and suits the theme of the night.

The band rip straight into Bitch from The Rolling Stones and then switch it up into The Knack’s My Sharona. We are treated to a mix of '70s tracks, some of which the crowd may have been a bit mystified by. The hottest ticket in town on a Tuesday night saw The Oxford Art Factory filled to the brim with a mix of old-school, new-school and industry folk. Having lined up for two hours earlier in the day only to be put on a waiting list, I received a text at 6.37pm granting admission to the gig. It was a lucky break and worth the effort and a cheeky twenty bucks in the end!

The music is tight, loud and raw. The talent on stage is obvious as they seem to be playing perfectly in sync despite a certain lack of rehearsal time. The singing duties are mostly performed by Hodgden who covers Sabbath’s The Wizard and The Vapors' Turning Japanese perfectly, but Hawkins takes over on The Faces' Stay With Me and most notably switches places with Grohl on a huge highlight of the night, Mercury and Bowie's Under Pressure. Grohl relinquishes the sticks quickly. "I'm so glad I don’t have to do that any more!"

The night is two hours of fun from a self-proclaimed 'wedding band on crack' and with the calls of 'play something Aussie' coming from the crowd, Grohl proceeds to name-drop a number of Aussie acts, including Midnight Oil, INXS, The Hard-Ons, Angels, Hoodoo Gurus before finishing the night with two tracks from "…the best Aussie band there is." Riff Raff and Let There Be Rock round out the best Tuesday night gig you'll ever see. If only Foo Fighters would play this venue one day.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Chevy Metal played a surprise show last night at Oxford Art Factory in Sydney. Tickets only went on sale at 1pm yesterday afternoon, limited to one wristband per person and the venue only holds 500 people.
    It would have been awesome to see Dave (in an ABBA t-shirt?!?) and Taylor play a couple of hours of covers in such a small venue!

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/08/29/the-long-road-to-ruin-were-trying-to-get-into-that-dave-grohl-gig-tonight/

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/08/30/we-got-into-that-surprise-dave-grohl-gig-last-night-and-it-was-the-best-tuesday-gig-youll-ever-see/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YDS%20300817&utm_content=YDS%20300817+CID_e8e23b0902ed6fc68e72fdadc52da29e&utm_source=Daily%20SPA&utm_term=We%20Got%20Into%20That%20Surprise%20Dave%20Grohl%20Gig%20Last%20Night

"Just so you know, we’re a cover band," Taylor Hawkins announces this up front to settle any expectations. After all, when Hawkins, the drummer from Foo Fighters is joined by his long-time cohort, Dave Grohl, on stage we might not know what to expect, but the band is a ‘70s dirt rock cover band formed by singer and bassist Wiley Hodgden (The Birds of Satan). Taylor is now a regular member of the group, but the guitarists seem to be rotated around. Tonight, having flown 26 hours to be there, Brent Woods joined the line-up from London.

Oh, and then there's Dave Grohl. "I’ve been auditioning for this band for ten years! They’re my favourite band in the world!" Grohl, of course, is the main man of the night. His ABBA shirt is worn seemingly un-ironically and suits the theme of the night.

The band rip straight into Bitch from The Rolling Stones and then switch it up into The Knack’s My Sharona. We are treated to a mix of '70s tracks, some of which the crowd may have been a bit mystified by. The hottest ticket in town on a Tuesday night saw The Oxford Art Factory filled to the brim with a mix of old-school, new-school and industry folk. Having lined up for two hours earlier in the day only to be put on a waiting list, I received a text at 6.37pm granting admission to the gig. It was a lucky break and worth the effort and a cheeky twenty bucks in the end!

The music is tight, loud and raw. The talent on stage is obvious as they seem to be playing perfectly in sync despite a certain lack of rehearsal time. The singing duties are mostly performed by Hodgden who covers Sabbath’s The Wizard and The Vapors' Turning Japanese perfectly, but Hawkins takes over on The Faces' Stay With Me and most notably switches places with Grohl on a huge highlight of the night, Mercury and Bowie's Under Pressure. Grohl relinquishes the sticks quickly. "I'm so glad I don’t have to do that any more!"

The night is two hours of fun from a self-proclaimed 'wedding band on crack' and with the calls of 'play something Aussie' coming from the crowd, Grohl proceeds to name-drop a number of Aussie acts, including Midnight Oil, INXS, The Hard-Ons, Angels, Hoodoo Gurus before finishing the night with two tracks from "…the best Aussie band there is." Riff Raff and Let There Be Rock round out the best Tuesday night gig you'll ever see. If only Foo Fighters would play this venue one day.
    Wow.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    goldrush said:

Wow.
    I just found the setlist for the show. This would have been a fun night for sure...

Bitch (The Rolling Stones)
    My Sharona (The Knack)
    Everybody Wants Some (Van Halen)
    Stay With Me (Faces)
    The Wizard (Black Sabbath)
    Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
    You May Be Right (Billy Joel)
    Miss You (Rolling Stones)
    Turning Japanese (The Vapors)
    Jamie’s Crying (Van Halen)
    Everybody Wants You (Billy Squier)
    Breakdown (Tom Petty & Heartbreakers)
    You Really Got Me (The Kinks)
    Ain’t Talking About Love (Van Halen)
    Under Pressure (Queen and Bowie)
    Riff Raff (AC/DC)
    Let There Be Rock (AC/DC)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

Wow.
    I just found the setlist for the show. This would have been a fun night for sure...

Bitch (The Rolling Stones)
    My Sharona (The Knack)
    Everybody Wants Some (Van Halen)
    Stay With Me (Faces)
    The Wizard (Black Sabbath)
    Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
    You May Be Right (Billy Joel)
    Miss You (Rolling Stones)
    Turning Japanese (The Vapors)
    Jamie’s Crying (Van Halen)
    Everybody Wants You (Billy Squier)
    Breakdown (Tom Petty & Heartbreakers)
    You Really Got Me (The Kinks)
    Ain’t Talking About Love (Van Halen)
    Under Pressure (Queen and Bowie)
    Riff Raff (AC/DC)
    Let There Be Rock (AC/DC)
    Double wow.

Love the Billy Squier. And Miss You.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Cool 
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Australian and NZ tour just announced for January/February next year :) so excited :joy:
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Australian and NZ tour just announced for January/February next year :) so excited :joy:

I wonder how much tickets will be, with Weezer on the bill as well. They will probably sell out in 2 minutes anyway
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Suncorp is big so tix should last a little while.... Was thinking of seeing Roger Waters but guess I'll be throwing my money at Foos instead
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    It's Foos week!
    South Park  wild butters tweek tweak insomnia GIF
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Album sounds pretty good. I'm diggin it.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Just got UPS notification that my pre-order will be here tomorrow.
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    I received my pre-order yesterday.  Album is good, still digesting it
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Received a notice but no date yet. Being in NJ with a delivery from CA sucks.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    JK_Livin said:
    Received a notice but no date yet. Being in NJ with a delivery from CA sucks.
    My notice has never updated via the store email either. I had to put the tracking number in USPS myself. My order is out for delivery today. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    getting solid reviews.  Actually I'm just gonna wait til it comes out on Friday though to listen to it.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    enjoyed the new album on the first listen this morning 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Album came early. Foos showing some new layers. Initial impression, wide variety of sound with heavy influences of 70s rock. It's damn good
  • Don't care for the new album at all.  Very disappointed. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I need to listen to it a few more times.  I tend to cringe at the opening vocals on each song.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Don't care for the new album at all.  Very disappointed. 
    That's too bad.  Often I have to listen to an album a number of times.... very few albums catch me on the first listen.

I find the foo fighters usually have a few decent tracks on every album they put out but very few are great front to back.   Self-Titled, The Colour and the Shape, and Wasting Light are probably the ones I really enjoy front to back.  Most of the other ones it's a few songs on each album.

Given how many albums they have, it's enough to make a long setlist full of songs everyone knows and can rock out to.   Not many acts left that have that enough songs to make a killer setlist front to back (even if it's the standard greatest hits kind of setlist, instead of the extremely rare pearl jam/springsteen kind of setlist.)
  • This will be a polarizing album. If u hoped for status quo, you will be disappointed. If u were looking for Dave to jump out of his comfort zone and get creative with the Foo sounds, it's awesome. Count me in the group who didn't want the same album the Foos put out each release.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think, for me, anything will be better the Sonic Highways. And I dig the first 3 tracks released. Looking forward to tomorrow and hearing the rest. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    It seemed like every time a new Foos record was being recorded, Dave would say it's totally different than anything they've done. Then the finished product was pretty much the same, great Foos.

This time he/they did it. HawkeyeJam is correct. Lots of stuff happening in this album. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Got me pre-order from Amazon today. Looking forward to opening this up and spinning it in my car tomorrow 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067
    Got me pre-order from Amazon today. Looking forward to opening this up and spinning it in my car tomorrow 
    Like this?! cool

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Stoked this album is coming out tomorrow... Looking forward to many beers listening to this loud and on repeat... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• I would have been happy with another standard Foo release and that's what I was honestly expecting. This thing is a complete surprise, not sure it's great by any means but they went way out of their comfort zone for the first time ever. Been through it about 5 times and it really doesn't sound like any of their previous albums. Makes me wonder what their catalog would have looked like had they tried something like this around say 2005 when they honestly ran out of new ideas. I loved Wasting Light and thought Sonic Highways was good but they were clearly content sticking with a certain forumula because it worked. Here we get a bunch of songs that minus Run, Sky and maybe Arrows would not fit on any other Foo record. For me the highlights are...

Sky Is a Neighborhood - More of traditional Foo song but still has a fresh feel to it.
    La Dee Da - Total NIN vibe here, could easily see Trent belting this one out.
    Arrows - My personal favorite so far.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21,