Kaepernick

Comments

• PJsoul, sit or stand during the anthem, what say you?
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJsoul, sit or stand during the anthem, what say you?
    Fallon 9/11/17, profits of rage...kaep jersey and the Saudi headgear!
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I personally feel we should be free to do what we want. 
    As long as your not mean sit stand do your natural thing. 
            As a quarterback i think he's not that good anymore. 
         As LAYNE STALEY said. I don't know anything. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    A Canadian loving their country is something completely different than an American who loves the USA.

EDIT, for clarification: I don't mean that in a good way for Americans.
    what? so it's ok for Canadians to love their country but not Americans? wow that is some bullshit if i say so.

EDIT: and i can guess what your response is gong to be but you know you can love something or someone even if it has flaws.
    That's not what I'm saying at all.

The average Canadian who loves Canada - "I love Canada. I love being Canadian. It's nice here."
    The average American who loves the USA - "'Merica! Guns and flags WOOOOOOOOO! Fuckin leave if you don't like it!"
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    pjhawks said:
    A Canadian loving their country is something completely different than an American who loves the USA.

what? so it's ok for Canadians to love their country but not Americans? wow that is some bullshit if i say so.

EDIT: and i can guess what your response is gong to be but you know you can love something or someone even if it has flaws.

The average Canadian who loves Canada - "I love Canada. I love being Canadian. It's nice here."
    The average American who loves the USA - "'Merica! Guns and flags WOOOOOOOOO! Fuckin leave if you don't like it!"
    I'll add those same people want darker skinned people gone whether they like it or not.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:

stereotype much? 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

stereotype much? 
    Based on personal observations, those two examples are what I see the most.
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

stereotype much? 
    You must live among a bunch of crappy people lol. I live in the south and only know 1 person who is all " 'Merica'. If there are others I know like that, they hide it well lol

ponytd said:

pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

stereotype much? 
    You must live among a bunch of crappy people lol. I live in the south and only know 1 person who is all " 'Merica'. If there are others I know like that, they hide it well lol

This is true.  My county and the surrounding counties are astoundingly blue.  I live in Maryland yet everyone with a fucking pickup truck has some kind of damn confederate flag ornamentation on the truck.  Whether it's an actual flag, license plate frame, sticker, the mesh hat on their head, etc.
    Maryland.  Confederate flags.

I live amongst idiots, for sure.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Jason P said:
    If you get political in sports, you are ostracized and lose your brand appeal (see: Curt Shilling). I hope Kap is putting the $11M he makes this year into a savings plan.
    ^^^
    Correction:  I was wrong.  You can call the president of the united states a white supremacist and your employer just offers a light apology.
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    If you get political in sports, you are ostracized and lose your brand appeal (see: Curt Shilling). I hope Kap is putting the $11M he makes this year into a savings plan.
    ^^^
    Correction:  I was wrong.  You can call the president of the united states a white supremacist and your employer just offers a light apology.
    He's not?
    Smellyman said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    ^^^
    He's not?
    No.  He is just a fucking idiot. 
    Just calling spades as spades.  The point being that Curt Shilling tweets an offensive meme and gets canned by ESPN.  Another anchor goes on offensive series of tweets about the POTUS and ESPN just offers an apology.  Not helping ESPN's image of being the liberal agenda.  Maybe Kaep can get Curt's old job.
    Jason P said:
    Just calling spades as spades.  The point being that Curt Shilling tweets an offensive meme and gets canned by ESPN.  Another anchor goes on offensive series of tweets about the POTUS and ESPN just offers an apology.  Not helping ESPN's image of being the liberal agenda.  Maybe Kaep can get Curt's old job.
    He can go to Fox, Breitbart, infowars and any number of places where the agenda of hate, ignorance, misogyny, racism and bigotry is welcomed.
  • Jason P said:

ESPN could use some help.

Sergio Dipp, on Monday night, sounded like he was on acid.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • He sounds like Derek Zoolander lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F0f013sLIo
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Jason P said:
    Smellyman said:
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    ^^^
    He's not?
    No.  He is just a fucking idiot. 

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Jason P said:
    People think ESPN has a liberal agenda? 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    He sounds like Derek Zoolander lol:

what in god's name is this?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Jason P said:
    Let's clarify:

"ESPN fired baseball analyst Curt Schilling tonight, two days after he shared an anti-trans meme on Facebook. “ESPN is an inclusive company. Curt Schilling has been advised that his conduct was unacceptable and his employment with ESPN has been terminated,” said ESPN in a statement.

This was far from the first time Schilling crossed a line at ESPN. Two months ago, he said Hillary Clinton “should be buried under a jail somewhere.” Three months ago, Schilling joked about being fired from ESPN for his donation to Ben Carson. Seven months ago, ESPN had nothing to say about Schilling posting insane memes on Facebook. Eight months ago, Schilling tweeted a meme comparing Muslims and Nazis, and was suspended for it. Shortly after that, he emailed a long, strange rant to a blogger to clarify his thoughts about Muslims and Nazis, and was suspended for the rest of the season.

Schilling publicly and proudly proclaimed bigoted views on a regular basis. He posted repulsive things to Facebook nearly every day, frequently going from the repulsive to the despicable and continuously dehumanizing others. ESPN repeatedly and severely punished employees for far milder violations of its various policies, and yet Schilling just kept on spending his days degrading people who aren’t like him."

Looks like they gave him a lot of rope before they finally kicked out the chair...

It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10 said:
    He sounds like Derek Zoolander lol:

what in god's name is this?!
    I think they're hiring anyone (even pirates!).

tbergs said:
    Jason P said:
    Let's clarify:

"ESPN fired baseball analyst Curt Schilling tonight, two days after he shared an anti-trans meme on Facebook. “ESPN is an inclusive company. Curt Schilling has been advised that his conduct was unacceptable and his employment with ESPN has been terminated,” said ESPN in a statement.

This was far from the first time Schilling crossed a line at ESPN. Two months ago, he said Hillary Clinton “should be buried under a jail somewhere.” Three months ago, Schilling joked about being fired from ESPN for his donation to Ben Carson. Seven months ago, ESPN had nothing to say about Schilling posting insane memes on Facebook. Eight months ago, Schilling tweeted a meme comparing Muslims and Nazis, and was suspended for it. Shortly after that, he emailed a long, strange rant to a blogger to clarify his thoughts about Muslims and Nazis, and was suspended for the rest of the season.

Schilling publicly and proudly proclaimed bigoted views on a regular basis. He posted repulsive things to Facebook nearly every day, frequently going from the repulsive to the despicable and continuously dehumanizing others. ESPN repeatedly and severely punished employees for far milder violations of its various policies, and yet Schilling just kept on spending his days degrading people who aren’t like him."

Looks like they gave him a lot of rope before they finally kicked out the chair...

Yeah, Schilling had toed the line and been reprimanded more than a few times. However, according to some sources, Linda Cohn was suspended back in April for saying that ESPN was getting too political and that's one of the main reasons for them losing subscribers. The problem I have is with the double standard that ESPN has. I don't watch them anymore except for college football games and college basketball, but it's crap that one person is suspended (IF that is indeed true) for saying the company was too political and another is simply a statement put out that "her views are not ours" when she goes on a tirade against the President. I don't agree with what Hill said, but she shouldn't be fired either. I fully support her right to speak her mind when she is not on the job. But you can't treat some people better than others. If Linda Cohn was suspended for speaking her mind away from work, Hill should be too
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I boycott ESPN now just like i do CNN and fox-news.  I wish i could just watch sports highlights and not have to see any kind of biased political material.  I don't care what side a talking head is on.  I refuse to listen to them. 
    I boycott ESPN now just like i do CNN and fox-news.  I wish i could just watch sports highlights and not have to see any kind of biased political material.  I don't care what side a talking head is on.  I refuse to listen to them. 
    If a espn broadcaster tweets something true about trump, how is this effecting the content of the channel?
    If a espn broadcaster tweets something true about trump, how is this effecting the content of the channel?
    Do you have proof that Trump is a "white-supremacist? Yeah, he's said a lot of stupid things, and I don't really like him or follow everything he does at all, but it seems to me that if he was indeed that, he wouldn't have a black person, an Asian person or Jewish people in his cabinet.

ESPN has been been bringing politics into sports for a while now. People watch sports to escape from politics and burdens of everyday life. It's entertainment. I personally don't care what anyone there believes or if they're Liberal or Republican, but their need to bring politics into all these shows definitely affects content. I understand that sports is not immune to politics or race or wealth or whatever, and it's fine to talk about it at times, but it seems that non sports content on the channel is more geared to politics or race or whatever and the only shows that don't really ever get into that are the fantasy football show and college gameday. The higher ups at ESPN have proven that they value those who follow with their political leanings and everyone else is afraid to speak out. Jemelle Hill should not be fired for having her own opinion. However, if you're going to fire others or suspend them for saying things that lean towards the right and not do anything other than issue a statement that says "we talked to her and she should apologize" for someone that speaks their mind and is left leaning, that is showing favoritism. They should at least be consistent in their discipline, if they are going to discipline at all. In my opinion, if you're not a work and you're not using a work affiliated platform, no company should ever hold anything against you for you expressing your own opinion as long as it's not violent.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    ponytd said:
    Do you have proof that Trump is a "white-supremacist? Yeah, he's said a lot of stupid things, and I don't really like him or follow everything he does at all, but it seems to me that if he was indeed that, he wouldn't have a black person, an Asian person or Jewish people in his cabinet.

He definitely is a racist. His past and recent actions should be plenty of proof of that. And having a few people of colour in your cabinet is equivalent to saying "but I have a black friend, so I can't be a racist".
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    ponytd said:

ESPN has been been bringing politics into sports for a while now. People watch sports to escape from politics and burdens of everyday life. It's entertainment. I personally don't care what anyone there believes or if they're Liberal or Republican, but their need to bring politics into all these shows definitely affects content. I understand that sports is not immune to politics or race or wealth or whatever, and it's fine to talk about it at times, but it seems that non sports content on the channel is more geared to politics or race or whatever and the only shows that don't really ever get into that are the fantasy football show and college gameday. The higher ups at ESPN have proven that they value those who follow with their political leanings and everyone else is afraid to speak out. Jemelle Hill should not be fired for having her own opinion. However, if you're going to fire others or suspend them for saying things that lean towards the right and not do anything other than issue a statement that says "we talked to her and she should apologize" for someone that speaks their mind and is left leaning, that is showing favoritism. They should at least be consistent in their discipline, if they are going to discipline at all. In my opinion, if you're not a work and you're not using a work affiliated platform, no company should ever hold anything against you for you expressing your own opinion as long as it's not violent.
    I don't think it's that simple. If your employee expresses views that support a hate group or something that furthers an agenda to oppress the rights of others based solely on skin color, religion, gender or cultural heritage, that definitely should be an addressable issue, especially since most companies are strong advocates of equal opportunity and privilege as part of their mission. If they learn their employee is sharing ideals or promoting groups who stand for the opposite of what they strive to be, then why should they have to employ that person? Sorry, but wanting to cut reality out of things is exactly why it remains a problem. "Hey, don't bring your under privileged and racism talk to my football viewing experience!" Sounds like an opinion of someone who doesn't need to live with that struggle and doesn't want to be bothered by it once it's beer-thirty.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    ponytd said:

I don't think it's that simple. If your employee expresses views that support a hate group or something that furthers an agenda to oppress the rights of others based solely on skin color, religion, gender or cultural heritage, that definitely should be an addressable issue, especially since most companies are strong advocates of equal opportunity and privilege as part of their mission. If they learn their employee is sharing ideals or promoting groups who stand for the opposite of what they strive to be, then why should they have to employ that person? Sorry, but wanting to cut reality out of things is exactly why it remains a problem. "Hey, don't bring your under privileged and racism talk to my football viewing experience!" Sounds like an opinion of someone who doesn't need to live with that struggle and doesn't want to be bothered by it once it's beer-thirty.
    Oh I totally agree. If an employee is out there saying the wrong things and inciting hate and violence, I think their company totally has a right to terminate that employee. I'm speaking mainly to expressing opinions. For example, Curt Schilling speaking out about his opinion of the bathroom bill in NC. He should not be fired for that. Some one else speaking out about how the Trump administration screwed our planet by pulling out of the Paris Agreement should not be fired for voicing that opinion. If you are on here on your own time and say "I can't stand Trump and think he's an idiot", you should not be fired.

I completely understand that sports isn't immune to reality. Nor should it be. But it also doesn't have to be forced down everyone's throat all the time. It's perfectly alright to have leisurely activities that don't involve major economic and/or social problems that face our world today. Some people may want that in everything they do. More power to them. That is their right. Others don't. And just because they don't want that aspect in some activity doesn't mean they don't care or can't be bothered with it. It's an escape. If I didn't want to be bothered with it, I wouldn't be here on this thread talking about it. Forgive me if I've taken this the wrong way, but it seems like your comments say that if you're not always talking about it, then you're just hiding and contributing to the problem. You can't enjoy sports unless real social issues are at the forefront of that sport.
    ponytd said:

Yes I do have proof, and so do you. It's in his past actions and comments, as well as current policies, statements and actions. And if you've know. Any racists, it's not uncommon for them to be cordial to a few minorities once they feel that person is above the others and has "overcome their deficiencies". Using that as evidence that trump isn't racist, combined with you feeling like espn is shoving anything political down our throats suggests you're more avoidant of these kind of topics. Denying trump's bigotry is a way to avoid the subject all together. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Trump is an Orange supremacist and if you ain't Orange, you ain't nothin', nothin', nothin'.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.