September 11th, 2001

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

I do apologize for going off track here - I guess I'm just a little frustrated. It won't happen again.
    Enjoy your day everyone.

Comatose it's alright we all make mistakes I know I've made mine on here debating with other PJC members on other boards and mostly here on the train. I've asked some of the questions you were asking but if you were driven to ask about this huge subject you could've simply started a thread of your own or a thread that previously talked about this subject in depth. I've left AMT before for various reasons (disliked having to pay to be here) but eventually came back. I hope you won't leave over this you seem sincere so I will forgive for what has been done.

Peace & STYHUMN

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

I do apologize for going off track here - I guess I'm just a little frustrated. It won't happen again.
    Enjoy your day everyone.

No worries and no big deal and sorry if I came across as thread cop- not meaning to. The 9/11 theories are interesting and worth discussing on the old thread.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    16 years ago we found out the incredible power of hate, hopefully soon the world can see the even greater power of love.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    I know I said I was done here, but feel this is too important. I hope we can at least all agree: 1) If non-government involvement: a crime was committed without a crime investigation. No one has ever been charged with the crime. Our military was ordered to stand down - why? 2) If government involvement: our government can do whatever the hell it pleases and get away with it - so what will they do next? Both of these seem ok with everyone, sorry if I'm a little wigged out but neither one seems very good to me which is why an investigation is necessary - it is really sad that a huge crime like this has to be investigated by the citizens who resort to name calling and questioning each others character. The fact is, there are no crazy questions about this event - that is the whole 'open your mind' thing. Are we not supposed to question anything? I ask anyone who is really interested to spend about 3 minutes and decide for yourselves if you should continue to seek justice or not. This is a video about some dude's path down the conspiracy theory trail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3q8zYRypoY First, at 1:17:02 - a guy on the street who has just seen the towers fall and he already knows exactly what happened Next, at 1:25:24-1:28:48 - he has discovered that there were indeed explosives so there must be something going on that he just can't understand, but it's ok, so what if 3000 people died, I'm going to go back to my life and be happy. The end. Ok, I'm out - peace all.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    Poor taste to bump after comatose apologized. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    It should come as no surprise you, me, or anyone else on here that has been paying attention that the poster above would do something in poor taste. Especially today of all days. When thousands of families around this country, the world, and on here are remembering, mourning, and celebrating the lives of those lost and injured on that horrific day.
    edited September 2017
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
    It should come as no surprise you, me, or anyone else on here that has been paying attention that the poster above would do something in poor taste. Especially today of all days. When thousands of families around this country, the world, and on here are remembering, mourning, and celebrating the lives of those lost and injured on that horrific day.
    I posted a blurb about families filing suit against the Saudis but it didn't show.
    6 years ago today I was getting molested at PHL airport on my way to Toronto.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    JC29856 said:
    I posted a blurb about families filing suit against the Saudis but it didn't show.
    Oh boy, I forgot about that. I don't know where that stands now, but it sure would set a terrible precedent if they succeed with that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2017/09/10/robert-mueller-obstruct-congresss-911-probe/

We also know, thanks to public agitation around this question, that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia had substantial involvement in the 9/11 attacks. The campaign to reveal the redacted portions of the Joint CongressionalInquiry into Intelligence Community Activities Before and After the Terrorist Attacks of September 11 was partially successful, although there is still much the government is keeping from the American people. What we learned from the pages that were revealed is that Saudi government employees aided and directed at least two of the hijackers – and that Prince Bandar al Sultan, then Saudi ambassador to the United States, was at the center of the spider web that ensnared the nation on 9/11.

Now a lawsuit brought by some of the 9/11 families reveals that, a full two years before 9/11, the Saudi government funded a “dry run” designed to test airline security. As Paul Sperry reports in the New York Post:

From the first post on this thread....Share stories, thoughts and respect here.

PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    Oh boy, I forgot about that. I don't know where that stands now, but it sure would set a terrible precedent if they succeed with that.
    how so?
    edited September 2017
    JC29856 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    how so?
    Well, it would open the door to people filing suit against the USA for bombing attacks that kill civilians, which happen all the time, and would also open the door to all governments being held responsible for terrorist attacks. The intricate web that can be said to connect governments to terrorism is a really huge web.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    how so?
    Well, it would open the door to people filing suit against the USA for bombing attacks that kill civilians, which happen all the time, and would also open the door to all governments being held responsible for terrorist attacks. The intricate web that can be said to connect governments to terrorism is a really huge web.
    good point... unlikely to happen. war crimes go unpunished.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    My wife and I are fans of the 70's TV series, Kojak.  The twin towers show up in several of the views of NYC.  In fact, in the episode we watched last night, Kojak was in one of the twin towers getting a health check up.  It's weird to see those images. Telly Savalis and several others of the cast are gone, the towers are gone.  NYC and the world have changed-- in many cases, in difficult ways.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• From the first post on this thread....Share stories, thoughts and respect here.

brianlux said:
    My wife and I are fans of the 70's TV series, Kojak.  The twin towers show up in several of the views of NYC.  In fact, in the episode we watched last night, Kojak was in one of the twin towers getting a health check up.  It's weird to see those images. Telly Savalis and several others of the cast are gone, the towers are gone.  NYC and the world have changed-- in many cases, in difficult ways.
    not to get off topic but watching old 70s shows can be thought provoking eye opening. check out a few episodes of all in the family Sanford and son or odd couple.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Today we mark the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. There was a moment of silence at work today and all across the country people had different ceremonies commemorating this horrific event. Just like Pearl Harbor and the Kennedy assassination we all remember where we were when they happened.  
    For years there were moments of silence and ceremonies commemorating Pearl Harbor and the Kennedy assassination; my question is, should there continue to be moments of silence or the reading of nearly 3,000 people who died on that day? How many years after the event do we stop?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Today we mark the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. There was a moment of silence at work today and all across the country people had different ceremonies commemorating this horrific event. Just like Pearl Harbor and the Kennedy assassination we all remember where we were when they happened.  
    For years there were moments of silence and ceremonies commemorating Pearl Harbor and the Kennedy assassination; my question is, should there continue to be moments of silence or the reading of nearly 3,000 people who died on that day? How many years after the event do we stop?
    I guess for as long people organize them? It won't last forever.... unfortunately, they may stop with another disaster that is emotionally equivalent to the country. I don't think people have the energy for two at one time.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    mcgruff10 said:
    I always watch the reading on TV or at least part of it. I don't think we ever stop, without actually personally knowing any victims, I know people who knew victims and the reading of the names keeps their memories alive. So I think for as long as it results in that, the reading will occur yearly along with the other somber ways to remember the tragedy.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    I always watch the reading on TV or at least part of it. I don't think we ever stop, without actually personally knowing any victims, I know people who knew victims and the reading of the names keeps their memories alive. So I think for as long as it results in that, the reading will occur yearly along with the other somber ways to remember the tragedy.
    I too always watch a few minutes of the reading, usually while getting ready for work.
    i remember the first time after my first kid was born it had such a different feel.
    but time does heal wounds. The scars will be left for a long time, but we will have a generation soon who wasn't alive when it happened and will have a disconnect. Even many college students now were too young to remember. I don't think in 16 years from now it will be much different than remembering Pearl Harbor. 
    what does anyone do on December 7 anymore?
    inthink it's unfortunate, I try to remember and share my experiences with those around me today.  How I felt, what I did, and how it still affects someone like my life who was living in Brooklyn when it happened.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited September 2017
    NM
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I too always watch a few minutes of the reading, usually while getting ready for work.
    i remember the first time after my first kid was born it had such a different feel.
    but time does heal wounds. The scars will be left for a long time, but we will have a generation soon who wasn't alive when it happened and will have a disconnect. Even many college students now were too young to remember. I don't think in 16 years from now it will be much different than remembering Pearl Harbor. 
    what does anyone do on December 7 anymore?
    inthink it's unfortunate, I try to remember and share my experiences with those around me today.  How I felt, what I did, and how it still affects someone like my life who was living in Brooklyn when it happened.
    I think this is different because of the ways information can be delivered between TV, social media for those who were too young to recall the events. I know this, the whole sequence of what I was doing the night before, the moment it first happened are still firmly planted in the recesses of my mind. At the time, I worked in an office in Jersey City, which is located right across the river from the site. I worked the night shift, which means I was done at 2 am a lot of times. And coming from the city, the way there was the PATH train to the Subway, so I was in that concourse a few hours before. Obviously it's not the same as being there when it happened, but it still is eerie knowing that you were in a quiet place only hours away from chaos and tragedy.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    I will always remember. I think this shouldn't be forgotten. Pearl Harbor Day remembers members of the military who were attacked without warning or a declaration of war against their country.  The thousands killed on Sept. 11th were mostly civilians, people like almost all of us here who showed up to work like any normal day. And the firefighters in their heavy gear climbing all those stairs attempting to save others and the passengers in the plane who fought with the hijackers probably knowing the plane would crash. To forget would be disrespectful.  And we should take a minute to remember where intolerance and hate for people of a different culture or religion leads. 
    edited September 2017
    I was really down today given the date and events that transpired however many years ago...what better to lift you up than some gaga
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    a friend of mine keeps posting all these 9/11 "truths" on facebook. Argh. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I have the highest amount of respect for the men and women on Flight 93 who took back some level of control over their lives that morning. Warriors right there.  Awesome. 
  • I have the highest amount of respect for the men and women on Flight 93 who took back some level of control over their lives that morning. Warriors right there.  Awesome. 
    Yup.

Those shitbirds that took the plane over took a beating and their plan was foiled.

I feel badly for all that day, but the ones that I always think of are the ones forced to the edge of their windows by flame- making the decision to jump versus melt. In particular, I find the pair holding hands as they resign themselves to their fate. It would have been terrifying and they sought the comfort of each other in their final moment- a moment that was very profound in revealing human nature.
    "My brain's a good brain!"