Details about pressing the re-issues

I haven't seen anything about how these are going to be re-issued other than remixed. Are they using original tapes? Are they getting mastered for vinyl? Will it be an all analog pressing? Where is it being pressed? Is it 150 gram pressing?

Comments

• I would love to know provenance information as well. This band is religion for a lot of us and I wish they treated their archives and releases with the care and respect the music deserves. 

Fyi, Santos said that binaural and riot act will be remastered (but where and by who?) and avocado will be both remixed and remastered. I assume Brendan o'brien is doing the remix. 

I'd like to know:
    - are these coming from original sources? We don't know definitively if the masters for these albums are analog or digital. Either way, what are the sources? 
    - who is remastering the albums?
    - where (and by who) are the lacquers being cut?
    - where are the records being plated and pressed? 
    - are these all double LPs?
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Worthless pursuit IMO.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Worthless pursuit IMO.
    yep
  • fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 190
    Why is it worthless?
    fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    They've never released those kind of details.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    Because if they told you, they'd have to kill you.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    Because if they told you, they'd have to kill you.
    :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com

www.cluthelee.com
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited September 2017
    You can make some inferences based on previous pressings. 

These will most likely be digitally sourced, possibly cut by John Golden (maybe mastered there too?), pressed at CZ or MPO.

I mean, most of what you want to know is in the deadwax, if it isn't then it was some shlub who cut it. If they were all analog source you better believe that they would be advertising is. Its just nt worth sweating over.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    You're 100% right. I don't get the lack of transparency though. Why hide that info like it were the secret KFC recipe? 
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited September 2017

BK5403 said:
    fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    You're 100% right. I don't get the lack of transparency though. Why hide that info like it were the secret KFC recipe? 

Ten-finger licken'

Vs- finger licken'

Vitalogy- finger licken'

No Code- finger licken'

Yield- finger licken'

Binaural- finger licken'

Riot Act- finger licken'

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    BK5403 said:
    fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    Especially considering how seasoned their vinyl clientele are.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Also, last years reissues were pressed well. I'm guessing these will follow suit. 

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2017
    You can make some inferences based on previous pressings. 

These will most likely be digitally sourced, possibly cut by John Golden (maybe mastered there too?), pressed at CZ or MPO.

I mean, most of what you want to know is in the deadwax, if it isn't then it was some shlub who cut it. If they were all analog source you better believe that they would be advertising is. Its just nt worth sweating over.
    Hopefully not Golden. I think Daniel Krieger has done a wonderful job so far on the reissues (Yield and No Code).
    I hope he has re-cut all 10 for the box.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226

I think they'll be analog myself. 
    I have no clue about anything 

PJ is da best 
  • Shyner said:

I think they'll be analog myself. 
    I have no clue about anything 

PJ is da best 
    I feel like if they were all analog that would've been emphasized as a huge selling point.
    I don't understand why they won't just tell us what we want to know? It comes up every time they release vinyl. What's the big secret? Why not be transparent? 
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    fluff4u said:
    I don't understand why they won't just tell us what we want to know? It comes up every time they release vinyl. What's the big secret? Why not be transparent? 
    Does transparent vinyl sound as good as solid black? :D
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • fluff4u said:
    Because they wouldn't sell as much when people realize that they're buying vinyl sourced from digital tape? Oh, never mind. People see the word "vinyl" and automatically assume it must be better than digital. So, yeah, what's the big secret?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    fluff4u said:
    It is a very good question. 10C likes to make sure its members are rather poorly informed a lot of the time. :disappointed:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Ignorance is bliss....
    Spin spin....spin the mp3 - sourced circle
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    They'll probably make a new master that stores the music in high resolution digital files (way more high res than a cd) and they use the new master to press the vinyl.   I think that's the common way to do it now.   A lot of the original analog masters from the early 90s are hard to come by, so usually they need to make a new one?

If the Avacado vinyl sounds alot better after the remix/remaster, I hope they release a cd/digital version of it too.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    edited September 2017
    fluff4u said:
    Why is it worthless?
    They released (some of) those details for Vault 7. Shocked the hell out of me.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
    Zod said:
    They'll probably make a new master that stores the music in high resolution digital files (way more high res than a cd) and they use the new master to press the vinyl.   I think that's the common way to do it now.   A lot of the original analog masters from the early 90s are hard to come by, so usually they need to make a new one?

If the Avacado vinyl sounds alot better after the remix/remaster, I hope they release a cd/digital version of it too.
    Yes, I agree they are probably Hi-res files pressed to vinyl. It's a less costly way of pressing vinyl VS all analog. I not even sure it was originally recorded to analog. But, still it would be nice not to guess or assume. 
  •   Is anybody still cutting from a purely analog source?  It seems like as soon as someone came up with a digital delay mastering and cutting places put it in line so they could execute eq and compression changes required when cutting vinyl without worrying as much about missing a change and messing  them up and having to redo them.  It seems likely that for a lot of  re-mastering where available analog mix tapes existed they probably were used those to master the album then created hi-res digital files to send to the people cutting the vinyl.  Cutting directly from a half inch mix tape to a lacquer is neat and an art but is anybody doing it?  
        Analog to digital conversion has come a very long way.  It seems that higher end convertors are essentially transparent.  I would guess most people cutting vinyl would rather work from a  sequenced digital file that has been mastered for vinyl (mastering engineers do separate masters for vinyl than they do for digital because of the limitations of vinyl) rather than a sequenced analog tape that they have to do "live" changes on.  If they mess that up they have to start over.   It might be that some Pearl Jam albums had analog masters, some had analog and digital masters and some had strictly digital masters.  
       It is almost certain that recordings from the mid 2000's if not earlier ended up in something like Pro Tools even if it was then dumped back to analog tape.  Tchad Blake was a big proponent of the SADIE system (a DAW similar to Pro Tools)  so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Binaural went back and forth.  Pro Tools was in most major studios so it probably got used on most albums since then as well.  Check out the wiki on the RIAA Eq curve to see what your records go through while they are getting made and playing back. 
         It would be interesting to know for some people but I think most don't really care or don't understand everything involved.  They just want to buy the record and they like the way the records sound or the packaging, the ritual of playing them, the way you only spend about 20 minutes playing before you get a little break.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    Yes, there are artists who make a big point of using their analog source. Neil Young is a good example of someone who thinks it's important.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    As said yes there are bands, artists and companies that do straight analog and or care about the chain. These two companies right off the top of my head MFSL.com and http://www.interventionrecords.com/. But there are more. My point in this thread is not to debate analog vs digital or anything in between I just would like to know how Pearl Jam does their releases. and I would guess PJ decided to go with a process that keeps price reasonable for people.
  • Nick NamenoneNick Namenone Posts: 67
    edited September 2017
    cool.  good to know.  I will check them out.  I am not debating analog or digital either.  Just not sure how much is made without digital being involved.  Makes sense with Neil.  Interventionrecords lists about ten artists as their complete collection.  I like Joe Jackson but not really anything else. MFSL is interesting.  Hard to tell how many releases are vinyl (unless they do everything in CD and vinyl.  The vinyl sale was the only specific thing I found.  Still, fairly limited.  It would be groovy if everybody did it but as it says on MFSL's page it is difficult and expensive. Edit to add-I now see tons of LPs.  cool.  Mostly seems like older "classic" stuff but at least someone is doing it.
    Post edited by Nick Namenone on
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, there are artists who make a big point of using their analog source. Neil Young is a good example of someone who thinks it's important.
    Yes but most of Neil's stuff, particularly that which he has re-issued was recorded purely when there was only analog source material.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652