Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Chris1401 said:
    Just saw Neil's Facebook page update. The previously unreleased 1976 album Hitchhiker is now available for pre order. 
    Nice! Pre-order here: http://www.neilyoung.com/hitchhiker/
    Release date is 9/8 :smiley:
  • 20 bucks sounds cheap for a new Neil Young album. 

In Sweden his albums are crazy expansive. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Ordered
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Looks like Neil is opening up the Archives for streaming...

http://www.neilyoungarchives.com/

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    He said he was doing this... I think this is one of the reasons he has taken off a year
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I generally am not a fan of pre-ordering Hitchhiker was just too tempting.  I hope it's good!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

70's era solo acoustic Neil album? No brainer!!! Even having already heard versions of most of the album im looking forward to this
  • 25 dollars in Sweden. Easy preorder.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    As much as I'm not a fan of pre-ordering, by the time it shows up I will have forgotten I ordered it and it will be a great surprise.  Failing memory in old age does have it's good points at times! :glasses:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Why are people sleeping on Broken Arrow? It's easy the second best album of NYs ninetees.
    Why are people sleeping on Broken Arrow? It's easy the second best album of NYs ninetees.
    Agreed!  Despite a few cuts I often pass on, Broken Arrow is amazing- one of my favorite Neil Young & Crazy Horse albums. 

"Loose Change".  The long mantra-like hammering on basically just  the one chord starting at  5:48 is pure meditation for me.  I get lost in this song every time.  One of my very favorites. Play it on a good stereo, crank it up, close your eyes.  Sweet dreams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7cXXNT2U7E

• brianlux said:
    Why are people sleeping on Broken Arrow? It's easy the second best album of NYs ninetees.
    Agreed!  Despite a few cuts I often pass on, Broken Arrow is amazing- one of my favorite Neil Young & Crazy Horse albums. 
    I love the production of it. It's soaked in mood. Reminds me a bit of Riot Act. Love it. 

great-great-great album.
    edited September 2017
    I love Broken Arrow. In fact, it's playing right now :) It has 2 of my favourite 90's Neil songs (Music Arcade and interstate)

I've been listening to 90's Neil a lot recently. Ragged Glory / Harvest Moon / Unplugged / Sleeps With Angels / Mirror Ball / Dead Man / Broken Arrow is such a fantastic run of records, and that's without including Weld or Freedom (late 89)

Music Arcade: 

https://youtu.be/Ld4rcV-8XNI

Interstate (LP bonus track)

https://youtu.be/_xErYIU148k

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    jjflash said:
    Awesome, thanks!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I like it but I would put it behind these 3 at least:

Ragged Glory
    Sleeps With Angels
    Mirror Ball
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    jjflash said:

This is as good as I thought it would be.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    jjflash said:

Yes, it's really good!! I'll probably buy this one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    lolobugg said:
    jjflash said:

Yep, it really is everything I hoped it would be. Even though most of the songs made it onto other records, hearing them together like this fantastic

(Tim Rogers)
    In case anybody missed it, Neil was live on Facebook earlier telling a story of how Hitchhiker was recorded:

https://www.facebook.com/NeilYoung/videos/10159212915430317/

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    In case anybody missed it, Neil was live on Facebook earlier telling a story of how Hitchhiker was recorded:

https://www.facebook.com/NeilYoung/videos/10159212915430317/
    "...followed by 'Hitchhiker'.  You may be able to hear the drugs kicking in here."
    :lol:

Hitchhiker arrived today. 

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyes!!

• Saw that Hitchiker is up on Spotify. Listening now. 
    Picking up the vinyl later in the week!
    If Hitchhiker is Special Release Series #5, does that mean 1-4 are the Homegrown, Chrome Dreams, Oceanside/Countryside, and Odeon-Budokan albums that were teased in 2010? Not sure if that fits chronologically, or are if there other pre-Hitchhiker albums that we don't know about yet...

Odeon-Budokan would probably be a Performace Series disc as it's live, so maybe the Briggs edition of Tonight's The Night will finally get a release. 

Speculating about Neil's archives is so much fun! :)

(Tim Rogers)
    Another interesting thought about Hitchhiker... If it had been released in 1976, how would the other records that also feature these songs have looked, specifically Rust Never Sleeps? You could say that removing one song from Comes a Time or American Stars n Bars wouldn't make much difference, but there are 3 RNS songs on Hitchhiker. I imagine there'd be a good chance that RNS wouldn't have been released at all, and the songs split across other records, which would have deprived us of one of Neil's greatest records (and possibly Live Rust as well, depending on where the songs ended up)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Was this a limited run vinyl pressing?  I was behind the news on this one, and it seems to already be sold out everywhere I'm checking.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
    edited September 2017
    Was this a limited run vinyl pressing?  I was behind the news on this one, and it seems to already be sold out everywhere I'm checking.
    Nope. And it's available on amazon.ca :) : https://www.amazon.ca/Hitchhiker-Vinyl-Neil-Young/dp/B072JHK8J9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505155553&sr=8-1&keywords=neil+young+hitchhiker+vinyl

Amazon.com is only temporarily sold out - they'll have more soon enough. And if you wait a couple months these will likely be $10 cheaper.

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Received my Hitchhiker vinyl but haven't gotten to spin it yet though, looking forward to that. I saw a few reports that people were getting warped vinyl. I did throw mine on and spin quickly and it has a little "wave" on one side when spinning but I wouldn't call it warped by any stretch. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    edited September 2017
    pjpitt89 said:
    Received my Hitchhiker vinyl but haven't gotten to spin it yet though, looking forward to that. I saw a few reports that people were getting warped vinyl. I did throw mine on and spin quickly and it has a little "wave" on one side when spinning but I wouldn't call it warped by any stretch. 
    I figure it's not truly warped until it affects play, but some people do get bent out of shape if their record is even slightly also bent out of shape, haha. They don't like to see that cartridge bob during play I guess. I've found that a "warp" that doesn't affect play will flatten out just by putting something heavy on it for a couple days and then storing it tightly between your other albums on the shelf.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on