What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • basically frightened. doc about col bruce hampton. incredible film for music lovers
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Jackals(2017)
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Death Note (2017)

It's fucking stupid as hell, although still mildly entertaining I suppose.... at least enough for me to have watched the whole thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Keanu (5th time, I think)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    It Stains the Sand Red(2017)
    Not quite what I was expecting. Decent little movie.
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Can't remember

Last one i tried to watch was " into the wild"

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    It (2017)

I liked it a lot.  Not sure how well it holds up to the book.  Haven't read it in years.  As compared to the 90's tv movie, I think it was slighlty better/scarier.  Def. a few jumpy scenes.  I did prefer the children from the tv movie more though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    It (2017)

I liked it a lot.  Not sure how well it holds up to the book.  Haven't read it in years.  As compared to the 90's tv movie, I think it was slighlty better/scarier.  Def. a few jumpy scenes.  I did prefer the children from the tv movie more though.
    Just got back from seeing this. IT blew the original TV mini series outta the water.
    This is much more faithful to the source material. And I think the kids in this movie did a hell of a job...great acting all around. Loved the time jump into the 80's as well.
    Bill Skarsgard  was fantastic as Pennywise, this coming from a big T. Curry fan. He knocked it outta the park.
    The cinematography in this was tremendous.
    Cannot wait for Chapter II
    The Good Dinosaur
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    It (2017)

Just got back from seeing this. IT blew the original TV mini series outta the water.
    This is much more faithful to the source material. And I think the kids in this movie did a hell of a job...great acting all around. Loved the time jump into the 80's as well.
    Bill Skarsgard  was fantastic as Pennywise, this coming from a big T. Curry fan. He knocked it outta the park.
    The cinematography in this was tremendous.
    Cannot wait for Chapter II
    i hadn't seen the tv series since it came out.  Although the syfy channel was playing it the other week and i caught about the last half of it.  Pennywise was great.  also agree on the cinematography.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited September 2017
    The Breakfast Club

Vice Principal Richard Vernon is the man!

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited September 2017
    I also saw It.

As a huge SK fan I am happy to say that this movie is awesome. It totally lived up to the hype. :) This is clearly a movie made by real King fans. It is really true to the spirit of the novel, as well as the story for the most part. I think any changes that were made were made for very good reasons, and they actually enhanced the movie. They relegated some of the kids to more secondary roles too, but that actually worked well for the sake of the film format, so I had no problem with that. And the 27 year time shift from the book to the movie (kids in the 80s instead of the 50s) works very well. I was a little dubious about that, but it was done right. And the acting is just great and Pennywise is SOOOOOO good!

I feel like this movie will actually be better for people who are really familiar with the book. There are a lot of things, some subtle, that related to the book in a way that would only really be understood or appreciated by fans of that book. Same goes with the entire feel and tone of the movie, actually. So I found that interesting and appreciated it. I would actually recommend that people who haven't already read the book before seeing the movie because it enhances the film experience. I am not sure I have ever said that about an adaptation before.

I never go to see movies on opening weekend, so maybe this is normal for that time in a movie's life and I just didn't realise it, but the packed theatre crowd was hilarious! I have never seen an audience so enthusiastically engaged, lol. Everyone was applauding at parts, and cheering, and there was a big round of applause at the end. All the megafans were out in force. It was really fun!

And holy, are they ever going to clean up with this one. The film was playing constantly all day long in at least 4 theatres at the Cineplex by my house, and every theatre was sold out for every showing, and everyone was stoked. The place was a gong show (in a good way). I've never seen it like that before! I think this is thanks to some of the greatest and most creative movie marketing in the history of movies. I am impressed. Especially since the movie lived up to it.

One thing I didn't realize was that this is a two-parter. I started assuming once we were an hour and a half in with still no sign of the present day with the adults. I am excited to see the next one!!

Oh, and this one is LIGHT YEARS better than previous attempts. But I say that as someone who thinks previous adaptations of It absolutely suck. I never understood why anyone liked either one if them. Someone called this version "slightly better" than the 90s one. I couldn't disagree more. This version is a zillion times better.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

As a huge SK fan I am happy to say that this movie is awesome. It totally lived up to the hype. :) This is clearly a movie made by real King fans. It is really true to the spirit of the novel, as well as the story for the most part. I think any changes that were made were made for very good reasons, and they actually enhanced the movie. They relegated some of the kids to more secondary roles too, but that actually worked well for the sake of the film format, so I had no problem with that. And the 27 year time shift from the book to the movie (kids in the 80s instead of the 50s) works very well. I was a little dubious about that, but it was done right. And the acting is just great and Pennywise is SOOOOOO good!

I feel like this movie will actually be better for people who are really familiar with the book. There are a lot of things, some subtle, that related to the book in a way that would only really be understood or appreciated by fans of that book. Same goes with the entire feel and tone of the movie, actually. So I found that interesting and appreciated it. I would actually recommend that people who haven't already read the book before seeing the movie because it enhances the film experience. I am notnsure I have evernsakd that about an adaptation before.

I never go to see movies on opening the weekend, so maybe this is normal for that time in a movie's life and I just didn't realise it, but the packed theatre crowd was hilarious! I have never seen an audience so enthusiastically engaged, lol. Everyone was applauding at parts, and cheering, and there was a big round of applause at the end. All the megafans were out in force. It was really fun!

And holy, are they ever going to clean up with this one. The film was playing constantly all day long in at least 4 theatres at the Cineplex by my house, and every theatre was sold out for every showing, and everyone was stoked. The place was a gong show (in a good way). I've never seen it like that before! I think this is thanks to some of the greatest and most creative movie marketing in the history of movies. I am impressed. Especially since the movie lived up to it.

One thing I didn't realize was that this is a two-parter. I started assuming once we were an hour and a half in with still no sign of the present day with the adults. I am excited to see the next one!!

Oh, and this one is LIGHTYEARS better than previous attempts. But I say that as someone who thinks previous adaptations of It absolutely suck. I never understood why anyone liked either one if them. Someone called this version "slightly better" than the 90s one. I couldn't disagree more. This version is a zillion times better.

Ok I need a bit of time to read this :tongue:
    It's a movie worthy of a thorough review! ;)
    Soul is usually never at a loss for words
    You basically said how I felt in many, many more words.....
    :joy:  
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    Wind River 

Thumbs Up.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh, and this one is LIGHT YEARS better than previous attempts. But I say that as someone who thinks previous adaptations of It absolutely suck. I never understood why anyone liked either one if them. Someone called this version "slightly better" than the 90s one. I couldn't disagree more. This version is a zillion times better.
    That was me, my opinion.  Like i said haven't watched the 90's one in forever (although did catch the last half of it last week on the syfy channel.  Just like you thought The Shining was bad, that was your opinion :wink:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's a movie worthy of a thorough review! ;)
    Just a second Alli I'm still reading through it ;) hehe
    PJ_Soul said:

That was me, my opinion.  Like i said haven't watched the 90's one in forever (although did catch the last half of it last week on the syfy channel.  Just like you thought The Shining was bad, that was your opinion :wink:
    after thinking it over i do think this one is better.  I was just used to the tv movie (which i enjoyed for the most part).  I'll have to re-read the book soon i suppose.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

I feel like this movie will actually be better for people who are really familiar with the book. There are a lot of things, some subtle, that related to the book in a way that would only really be understood or appreciated by fans of that book. Same goes with the entire feel and tone of the movie, actually. So I found that interesting and appreciated it. I would actually recommend that people who haven't already read the book before seeing the movie because it enhances the film experience. I am not sure I have ever said that about an adaptation before.

I never go to see movies on opening weekend, so maybe this is normal for that time in a movie's life and I just didn't realise it, but the packed theatre crowd was hilarious! I have never seen an audience so enthusiastically engaged, lol. Everyone was applauding at parts, and cheering, and there was a big round of applause at the end. All the megafans were out in force. It was really fun!

So this is a Really Good review Alli...so better then the Original?...That's impressive...
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

Just back from the film.  The book was damn right scary, this was not.  Good movie, I overhyped it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

Just back from the film.  The book was damn right scary, this was not.  Good movie, I overhyped it.
    I haven't seen the film yet, but I remember one huge disappointment from the miniseries was how unscary the monster was compared with all of IT's other manifestations (Pennywise, etc.). I hope the filmmakers learned from that shortcoming and left the creature more to the imagination than the miniseries did. All of the other manifestations were grounded in some sort of reality, whereas the monster was just ridiculous when attempted in a mostly realistic miniseries.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I remember one huge disappointment from the miniseries was how unscary the monster was compared with all of IT's other manifestations (Pennywise, etc.). I hope the filmmakers learned from that shortcoming and left the creature more to the imagination than the miniseries did. All of the other manifestations were grounded in some sort of reality, whereas the monster was just ridiculous when attempted in a mostly realistic miniseries.  
    Was telling my wife on our walk home that this was one of those films where I thought less would have actually been more.  Take that for what it's worth.
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

It definitely isn't a terrifying horror movie. It's got more of a Goonies feel to it in a way, with a little Stand By Me mixed in. Kind of more of an adventure story with a really awesomely gruesome clown involved.
    edited September 2017
    Speaking of not scary, I watched Psycho II last night. I'd seen some of it before, but not the whole thing. It's not terrible, but not close to good either.
    Anyone seen the Psycho remake with Vince Vaughan btw? I actually thought it was pretty effective. Vince Vaughan is a fairly unlikeable actor, but he really suited this role IMO.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also saw It.

It definitely isn't a terrifying horror movie. It's got more of a Goonies feel to it in a way, with a little Stand By Me mixed in. Kind of more of an adventure story with a really awesomely gruesome clown involved.
    Definitely. The comradery between the kids was excellent.  I laughed out loud numerous times.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Speaking of not scary, I watched Psycho II last night. I'd seen some of it before, but not the whole thing. It's not terrible, but not close to good either.
    Anyone seen the Psycho remake with Vince Vaughan btw? I actually thought it was pretty effective. Vince Vaughan is a fairly unlikeable actor, but he really suited this role IMO.

PJ_Soul said:
    i saw Psycho II a few years ago.  it was ok.  Never seen the remake though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD