Kaepernick

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    If what Ray says is true then I understand why the NFL doesn't want him.  Too much of a distraction in the locker room especially for a backup. 
    Well, that is one stupid lady. Kaepernick should dump her ass just for posting that shit in the first place. I don't see how he would be a distraction in the locker room because of that though, so the point where it would harm their game ... TBH, I always thought that "distraction in the locker room" theory was a little overwrought in most cases.
    It's a lame excuse.  If a girlfriend posting a message on twitter is too much of a distraction to the Ravens, it makes me wonder how they can concentrate on anything.  They're professionals, they should be able to handle it.

Number of career murders Ray Lewis has been involved in: 1
    Colin Kaepernick: 0
    Correction:  Ray Lewis career murders: 2

True, 1 event, 2 victims.
    True, but Ray is a HOF talent on the field.  Kap is not anywhere close.  And that's what matters most.  Are you good enough for people to ignore all the static (no matter how bad).  Kap really should be on a roster, but I do understand some hesitation for bringing in a player that is a backup and comes with any type of baggage.  And the NFL is a brand...and the teams are brands first and foremost.  They try not to damage the brand.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people offended by Kap's kneeling.  
    That is definitely the most disturbing part of this entire saga.
    Exactly.  The fact that people get so bent out of fucking shape over someone kneeling during a song.  Not harming anyone.  As a matter of fact taking a stand against violence and discimination.  But you can be part of a double murder and still have a fucking statue made in your honor.

The NFL is garbage.
    what's worse people bent out of shape over someone kneeling for the National Anthem or people being bent out of shape because some guy can't find a job as a backup QB in the NFL?  
    Without the former you wouldn't have the latter.  There's your answer.
    not so sure about that.  either way its a good lesson for people that although your actions might be legal and might be important it doesn't mean there aren't consequences. 
    You are basically advocating that we should be silent because someone might be offended so don't do anything or you may be ostracized for doing something completely legal, but unpopular. Queue that image of the Olympics podium again...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    If what Ray says is true then I understand why the NFL doesn't want him.  Too much of a distraction in the locker room especially for a backup. 
    Well, that is one stupid lady. Kaepernick should dump her ass just for posting that shit in the first place. I don't see how he would be a distraction in the locker room because of that though, so the point where it would harm their game ... TBH, I always thought that "distraction in the locker room" theory was a little overwrought in most cases.
    It's a lame excuse.  If a girlfriend posting a message on twitter is too much of a distraction to the Ravens, it makes me wonder how they can concentrate on anything.  They're professionals, they should be able to handle it.

True, but Ray is a HOF talent on the field.  Kap is not anywhere close.  And that's what matters most.  Are you good enough for people to ignore all the static (no matter how bad).  Kap really should be on a roster, but I do understand some hesitation for bringing in a player that is a backup and comes with any type of baggage.  And the NFL is a brand...and the teams are brands first and foremost.  They try not to damage the brand.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people offended by Kap's kneeling.  
    Exactly.  The fact that people get so bent out of fucking shape over someone kneeling during a song.  Not harming anyone.  As a matter of fact taking a stand against violence and discimination.  But you can be part of a double murder and still have a fucking statue made in your honor.

The NFL is garbage.
    what's worse people bent out of shape over someone kneeling for the National Anthem or people being bent out of shape because some guy can't find a job as a backup QB in the NFL?  
    not so sure about that.  either way its a good lesson for people that although your actions might be legal and might be important it doesn't mean there aren't consequences. 
    It's just too bad that people have to view good intentions as something bad, something where you have to face consequences. 

There's a big difference (to me, at least) between using your constitutional rights for good vs using them for malice, then expecting consequences.  Calling someone the n-word, for example, I would expect consequences.  Doing something that harms no one and brings attention to an actual problem should not have to face public backlash, especially to the degree that this mounted into.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    You are basically advocating that we should be silent because someone might be offended so don't do anything or you may be ostracized for doing something completely legal, but unpopular. Queue that image of the Olympics podium again...
    never said such a thing.  my point is you have to weigh your actions vs. what the consequences may be. my guess is Kaepernick would take the same action last year even knowing he might not get a job this year.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yeah, I couldn't care less if he can't find a job based on his skills. That isn't the point at all. I'm not sure I'm convinced that he can't find a job because of his skills though. That is one thing. But the main thing is that his act of protest was met by such aggression, when it was actually a righteous act that highlighted a really important, real issue. Everyone ignored that issue and got blindly, stupid-mad about some fake bullshit related to the fucking national anthem. Simpletons.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I wonder if any Canadian football teams have made offers?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Kap quit his job.  He wasnt fired or let go.  
    Now he can't find the same job.  On top of that he quit his job BEFORE the NFL draft where 10 new QBs joined the NFL. 

Would he still be as big a headline if he was holding a clipboard as a backup QB?  Maybe its a good thing for whatever he's trying to accomplish.  Would he even accept a job as third string QB?  He'd be kneeling to hold field goals and that's it. 
    Now he can't find the same job.  On top of that he quit his job BEFORE the NFL draft where 10 new QBs joined the NFL. 

Would he still be as big a headline if he was holding a clipboard as a backup QB?  Maybe its a good thing for whatever he's trying to accomplish.  Would he even accept a job as third string QB?  He'd be kneeling to hold field goals and that's it. 
    He was told by legendary GM John Lynch that he would be cut if he didn't opt out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31/john-lynch-49ers-would-have-cut-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out/
    edited September 2017
    Jason P said:
    Oh, I hadn't even thought of that... The BC Lions could use him! We've lost 3 in a row and are last in the Western Conference! If he chose to move to the CFL, it would obviously be a big step down in terms of his pay cheque and his fame, but it would still be a nice life.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    Well what's worse is that people are making this about 1 guy kneeling instead of looking at the data around those stopped and those killed by cops.  

And what's worse is that there are people that assume any cop interaction is a bad one and due to the police.

I don;t care about the kneeling....or that Kap can't find a job in the NFL.  I'm sure he can find a job somewhere doing something.  He wants to be 1 of like 96 people in the whole country.  If you bring excess baggage with you, it's tough to beat those odds.  So maybe he should go do something else.
    What's worse is that we have a massive number of people that have been manipulated by tax payer funded marketing to associate pro and college sports with the military and blind conformist patriotism. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited September 2017
    Jason P said:

He was told by legendary GM John Lynch that he would be cut if he didn't opt out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31/john-lynch-49ers-would-have-cut-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out/
    LOL Lynch has left his mark for sure.  I still think this is actually helping whatever message he's trying to get across.  His prime was very, very short. He has the talent to still be a backup QB but there's a lot of people who think that he doesn't even want that job.  The GMs and owners have already spoken. Its no different from being a star who fights with coaches and fans. Once the talent starts to rust no one wants to deal with someone who can offend or who isnt safe (Rodman, Iverson, etc) even if they can still play.  Not saying its right but that's such a defined thing in pro sports.  I have a feeling someone signs him eventually but he just doesn't fit a lot of systems
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    edited September 2017
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    Well what's worse is that people are making this about 1 guy kneeling instead of looking at the data around those stopped and those killed by cops.  

And what's worse is that there are people that assume any cop interaction is a bad one and due to the police.

I don;t care about the kneeling....or that Kap can't find a job in the NFL.  I'm sure he can find a job somewhere doing something.  He wants to be 1 of like 96 people in the whole country.  If you bring excess baggage with you, it's tough to beat those odds.  So maybe he should go do something else.
    What's worse is that we have a massive number of people that have been manipulated by tax payer funded marketing to associate pro and college sports with the military and blind conformist patriotism. 
    Yes, I agree with that. It's fucked up, and it is quite surprising how much money and effort the military puts into this rather sinister propaganda tactic... and how well it seems to work.... and how oblivious most people seem to be about it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Jason P said:

LOL Lynch has left his mark for sure.  I still think this is actually helping whatever message he's trying to get across.  His prime was very, very short. He has the talent to still be a backup QB but there's a lot of people who think that he doesn't even want that job.  The GMs and owners have already spoken. Its no different from being a star who fights with coaches and fans. Once the talent starts to rust no one wants to deal with someone who can offend or who isnt safe (Rodman, Iverson, etc) even if they can still play.  Not saying its right but that's such a defined thing in pro sports.  I have a feeling someone signs him eventually but he just doesn't fit a lot of systems
    The NFL is a product and the goal is to stay neutral.  I Agree if there is talent that will lead to wins it will overcome stigma.  But if that talent leads to a 2 - 14 season, bye bye.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    Oh, I hadn't even thought of that... The BC Lions could use him! We've lost 3 in a row and are last in the Western Conference! If he chose to move to the CFL, it would obviously be a big step down in terms of his pay cheque and his fame, but it would still be a nice life.
    Canadians love their anthem. How would they react to a guy kneeling for it?
    edited September 2017
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    As a form of valid protest that point out systemic racism? Most Canadians would respect that IMO. Plus we're not rabidly nationalistic the way America is.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    As a form of valid protest that point out systemic racism? Most Canadians would respect that IMO. Plus we're not rabidly nationalistic the way America is.
    Yeah. I don't think there would be much fuss. A lot of us view that sort of nationalism as unhealthy. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ^^^
    I don't think anyone (as a Canadian on a Sports team) would really do it up here.  You look stupid doing it for one thing. Secondly it doesn't do anything. Third, there's a time and place for everything.  Leave that protest shit in the US.
    ^^^
    I don't think anyone (as a Canadian on a Sports team) would really do it up here.  You look stupid doing it for one thing. Secondly it doesn't do anything. Third, there's a time and place for everything.  Leave that protest shit in the US.

• ^^^
    That giff is exactly what I do when I see those idiots protesting or kneeling during an anthem.  Imagine if events were started w/ "Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a knee while we sing our national anthem to protest every injustice that we can think of".
    Would you kneel or stand PJsoul?

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    ^^^
    That giff is exactly what I do when I see those idiots protesting or kneeling during an anthem.  Imagine if events were started w/ "Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a knee while we sing our national anthem to protest every injustice that we can think of".
    Would you kneel or stand PJsoul?

I don't think you can say ladies and gentlemen. It's not gender neutral ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    my only point of reference for the Canadian anthem is during NHL games and those people go ape shit for your anthem so not sure i can agree that,  at lease those folks , aren't as rabidly nationalistic.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    my only point of reference for the Canadian anthem is during NHL games and those people go ape shit for your anthem so not sure i can agree that,  at lease those folks , aren't as rabidly nationalistic.

Trust us on this ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • If he had never knelt for the national anthems... nobody here... and I mean nobody... would be talking about how he should 'at least get a back up job somewhere' lol.

He was a hated man before he knelt during the anthem. Why does everyone forget the fact he called opponents n**gers during competition? 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    It's just too bad that people have to view good intentions as something bad, something where you have to face consequences. 

There's a big difference (to me, at least) between using your constitutional rights for good vs using them for malice, then expecting consequences.  Calling someone the n-word, for example, I would expect consequences.  Doing something that harms no one and brings attention to an actual problem should not have to face public backlash, especially to the degree that this mounted into.
    To be fair, when he wore those pig police socks....he kinda crossed over. Really dumb move.

hippiemom = goodness
  • I hope he takes his protest and uses on a public stage not a sporting event to magnify the injustices he feels African Americans encounter on a daily basis ! I'm sick of sports I can watch hockey but that's about it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited September 2017
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:

The NFL is a product and the goal is to stay neutral.  I Agree if there is talent that will lead to wins it will overcome stigma.  But if that talent leads to a 2 - 14 season, bye bye.
    The NFL's goal is to be a 3 hour military infomercial.

Billion dollars spent on Military marketing has to go somewhere.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited September 2017
    A Canadian loving their country is something completely different than an American who loves the USA.

EDIT, for clarification: I don't mean that in a good way for Americans.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    edited September 2017
    A Canadian loving their country is something completely different than an American who loves the USA.

EDIT, for clarification: I don't mean that in a good way for Americans.
    what? so it's ok for Canadians to love their country but not Americans? wow that is some bullshit if i say so.

EDIT: and i can guess what your response is gong to be but you know you can love something or someone even if it has flaws.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    We simply like the good feels that comes from a bunch of people all singing the anthem together. There isn't much to read into. There was a long stretch where Canadians didn't really sing the anthem at all for hockey games, and then at some point in the 2000s it became a "thing" again, and everyone just enjoys it. It's not a sign of rabid nationality. It's a sign of having a sense of togetherness/community.