The Marlins can't buy a hit to save their season
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited September 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Headline news...  Boston cheats.  Who knew?
    I've never considered this cheating.  Hide the damn signs better or maybe add 2 to what number you throw up?  Too hard a concept?
    Using technology is explicitly against the rules, if I'm not mistaken.  Stealing signs the old fashion way (picking them from 2nd base or watching the 3rd base coach) is not against the rules.  
    They used an Apple Watch.  Isn't there a delay in the signal?

I'll be curious to how this pans out...
    What they were doing is having someone in the box decrypting the signals, texting it to the bench coaches, who would relay the signs being used to the runners on based.  Then the runners on base now know the signals, and can send a message to the batter.  That's my understanding.  The Yankees were super suspicious about how high of a BA the Sox have had with runners on base.  That's straight up cheating in my book.  
    I just find this Stat: Red Sox were 19-128 (.148) against the Yankees, W/RISP, after 18 games. Don't think that's a high batting average, so can't see how Yankees could be super suspicious.

Plus, if it went down the way you stated, does that seem like a lot of steps to relay the sign to the hitter? Wouldn't one think the pitch would already been thrown before all of those steps were completed? 

Like CC Sabathia said: "It's baseball."
    Post edited by cutz on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Headline news...  Boston cheats.  Who knew?
    I've never considered this cheating.  Hide the damn signs better or maybe add 2 to what number you throw up?  Too hard a concept?
    Using technology is explicitly against the rules, if I'm not mistaken.  Stealing signs the old fashion way (picking them from 2nd base or watching the 3rd base coach) is not against the rules.  
    They used an Apple Watch.  Isn't there a delay in the signal?

I'll be curious to how this pans out...
    What they were doing is having someone in the box decrypting the signals, texting it to the bench coaches, who would relay the signs being used to the runners on based.  Then the runners on base now know the signals, and can send a message to the batter.  That's my understanding.  The Yankees were super suspicious about how high of a BA the Sox have had with runners on base.  That's straight up cheating in my book.  
    I just find this Stat: Red Sox were 19-128 (.148) against the Yankees, W/RISP, after 18 games. Don't think that's a high batting average, so can't see how Yankees could be super suspicious.

Plus, if it went down the way you stated, does that seem like a lot of steps to relay the sign to the hitter? Wouldn't one think the pitch would already been thrown before all of those steps were completed? 

Like CC Sabathia said: "It's baseball."
    First, whether or not the cheating was worthwhile isn't really the issue.  The Red Sox have admitted to doing it.  Regarding the chain of events, I don't believe they were stealing individual pitches during the course of an inning, rather determining the signals during the inning and relaying that down so that the runner on 2nd could decipher it real time.  That's my understanding.  
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Can't believe I'm actually rooting for the yankees this year... whats happening to me!?!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Can't believe I'm actually rooting for the yankees this year... whats happening to me!?!
    did you vote for trump, too? :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    In light of J.D. Martinez hitting 4 HR the other day, we were talking at lunch today about rare baseball feats.  I looked up a few things that have only happened once in history.  And what's even more rare than something only happening once?  Being a player who has accomplished multiple once-only feats.

Toby Harrah is such a player.

On June 25, 1976 Harrah started at shortstop for the Rangers in both games of a double header against the White Sox.  He played all 18 innings at short and never touched the ball, a feat only accomplished by him.  Not a single ball hit to him, not a cut off thrown his way, and the only double play turned was a 1-4-3 in game two.
    The following season on August 27, 1977 against the Yankees, Harrah and Rangers teammate Bump Wills became the only players in history to hit back-to-back inside-the-park home runs.

In a list of rare once-only feats in baseball history, one could argue that "Being Toby Harrah" is the rarest of all.
  • In light of J.D. Martinez hitting 4 HR the other day, we were talking at lunch today about rare baseball feats.  I looked up a few things that have only happened once in history.  And what's even more rare than something only happening once?  Being a player who has accomplished multiple once-only feats.

Toby Harrah is such a player.

On June 25, 1976 Harrah started at shortstop for the Rangers in both games of a double header against the White Sox.  He played all 18 innings at short and never touched the ball, a feat only accomplished by him.  Not a single ball hit to him, not a cut off thrown his way, and the only double play turned was a 1-4-3 in game two.
    The following season on August 27, 1977 against the Yankees, Harrah and Rangers teammate Bump Wills became the only players in history to hit back-to-back inside-the-park home runs.

In a list of rare once-only feats in baseball history, one could argue that "Being Toby Harrah" is the rarest of all.
    What doped up stat jock conjured that shit up, lol?  Actually Toby Harrah is before money ball, no?

Anywho, I love rare things like the Cycle, stealing home or maybe 4 strikeouts in one inning.  Those I like.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    5 extra base hits by Ramirez was kind of glossed over.  I think it was the 12th time it happened
    On August 17, 1957, Richie Ashburn of the Philadelphia Phillies hit spectator Alice Roth with a foul ball, breaking her nose. As Alice was being carried out of the park on a stretcher, Ashburn hit her with another foul ball, breaking a bone in her knee.
    Indians with 14 game win streaks in back to back seasons has only happened twice before.  35/36 Cubs,  and once before that but can't remember the details.  Still very rare. 
    On August 17, 1957, Richie Ashburn of the Philadelphia Phillies hit spectator Alice Roth with a foul ball, breaking her nose. As Alice was being carried out of the park on a stretcher, Ashburn hit her with another foul ball, breaking a bone in her knee.
     crazy
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    i think I heard this before
    I miss igotid88
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    How bout them Detroit Tigers!!!!
    Hate the Marlins just gave up on Mattingly. Pathetic the last 2 weeks.  Doesn't help that they don't have pitching or hit with risp.
    I miss igotid88
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    In the 1934 World Series, St. Louis Cardinals pitchers Dizzy and Daffy Dean - brothers - each won two games as the Gashouse Gang defeated the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 3.  They are the only brothers to account for all 4 victories on a World Series winning team.
  • In the 1934 World Series, St. Louis Cardinals pitchers Dizzy and Daffy Dean - brothers - each won two games as the Gashouse Gang defeated the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 3.  They are the only brothers to account for all 4 victories on a World Series winning team.
    The only other pitching brother combo I can recall was the Leiters and the Niekros.  Oh wait  Perry too.  Was there Benes brothers too?
    In the 1934 World Series, St. Louis Cardinals pitchers Dizzy and Daffy Dean - brothers - each won two games as the Gashouse Gang defeated the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 3.  They are the only brothers to account for all 4 victories on a World Series winning team.
    The only other pitching brother combo I can recall was the Leiters and the Niekros.  Oh wait  Perry too.  Was there Benes brothers too?
    Yep, they were bros.  I forgot about them!  A few I recall off the top of my head:

Rick & Paul Reuschel
    Greg & Mike Maddux
    Ramon & Pedro Martinez
    Jeff & Jered Weaver

There's more but I'd have to look them up.

They also pitched a twin bill one time.  Dizzy threw a 3 hit shutout and Daffy threw a no hitter.  I'm sure that's the only time that happened...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mrussel1 said:
    Indians with 14 game win streaks in back to back seasons has only happened twice before.  35/36 Cubs,  and once before that but can't remember the details.  Still very rare. 
    There have been 27 at 15 or more, where they are now, and if they win tonight, it will be the 20th longest ever, and longest since 1977.  

The funny thing is, Arizona has a 13 game streak going and it is flying under the radar.
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    There have been 27 at 15 or more, where they are now, and if they win tonight, it will be the 20th longest ever, and longest since 1977.  

The funny thing is, Arizona has a 13 game streak going and it is flying under the radar.
    Longest recently is 2002 with the A's at 20.  Moneyball streak.  
    MayDay10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

And they're now only 10 games back of the Dodgers.
  • In the 1934 World Series, St. Louis Cardinals pitchers Dizzy and Daffy Dean - brothers - each won two games as the Gashouse Gang defeated the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 3.  They are the only brothers to account for all 4 victories on a World Series winning team.
    Yep, they were bros.  I forgot about them!  A few I recall off the top of my head:

Rick & Paul Reuschel
    Greg & Mike Maddux
    Ramon & Pedro Martinez
    Jeff & Jered Weaver

Martinez and Maddux!  Forgot about them!
    edited September 2017

Rick & Paul Reuschel
    Greg & Mike Maddux
    Ramon & Pedro Martinez
    Jeff & Jered Weaver

Martinez and Maddux!  Forgot about them!
    Didn't realize this but "El Duque" Orlando Hernandez is Livan's half-brother.  Between the two of them, 5x World Series Champions (Orlando 4, Livan 1), 2 LCS MVPs (1 each), & a WS MVP (Livan).
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited September 2017
    Jose Canseco has the most famous pitching appearance by a position player and his twin, Ozzy, was a decent minor league pitcher.

Bob and Ken Forsch had a nice run.

There are quite a few pitching brothers that did pretty well. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1174218-25-best-brother-pitching-acts-in-mlb-history

Post edited by DewieCox on
    Trivia:
    David Ross hit a home run in his final Major League at-bat, helping the Cubs to victory in the 2016 World Series.  What former Cub did Ross hit his 1st career Major League home run off of?

(Hint: The former Cub was not playing for the Cubs when served the HR to Ross)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Didn't he homer off Andrew Miller?
    I didn't think he was a cub....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Never mind, I didn't read properly!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited September 2017
    Trivia:
    David Ross hit a home run in his final Major League at-bat, helping the Cubs to victory in the 2016 World Series.  What former Cub did Ross hit his 1st career Major League home run off of?

(Hint: The former Cub was not playing for the Cubs when served the HR to Ross)
    gonna guess Maddux. Nope I looked it up
    I miss igotid88
    I'm going Rick Sutcliffe.  This is a good guess since David Ross is older than Julio Franco.