Kaepernick

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    For the record the socks thing was done in poor taste.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    A good experiment would be to have Brady and Brees take a knee and then see what happens to their career trajectory. 

Nothing would happen.  Those guys are future hall of fame QBs.  I don't get what is so hard to understand about teams not wanting to deal with a media circus for a fucking backup QB?!?!?  A backup QB is not worth the type of distraction that this would bring.  Plain and simple.
    The NFL needs to reconsider it's media standards.  I see where you're coming from, but the fact that a peaceful protest is viewed as a distraction, nuisance, etc is a huge part of the problem.  The NFL could nip it in the bud if they wanted to.

It's not the protest that is the distraction.  It's the media attention that comes along with it that is the distraction.  Yes, it's a story...but the media blew this thing so far out of proportion last year.  Not sure how the NFL could really do anything about that.....it's more of a media problem than an NFL problem.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.  And you're not wrong, the media has definitely blown it out of proportion.  Just seems to me a multi-billion dollar league of professionals could act professional and not allow the media circus to distract them from their objective of winning games making more revenue.

Yep, but unfortunately that media circus is inevitable in this case.  The media fucking salivates at a story like this.  There's no way that Kap being on your team isn't going to be a giant distraction...I absolutely wouldn't want my team to sign him.  
    I remember this very same sentiment going on when Michael Sam was around.  It was the media that made it a story.
    A good experiment would be to have Brady and Brees take a knee and then see what happens to their career trajectory. 

Nothing would happen.  Those guys are future hall of fame QBs.  I don't get what is so hard to understand about teams not wanting to deal with a media circus for a fucking backup QB?!?!?  A backup QB is not worth the type of distraction that this would bring.  Plain and simple.
    The NFL needs to reconsider it's media standards.  I see where you're coming from, but the fact that a peaceful protest is viewed as a distraction, nuisance, etc is a huge part of the problem.  The NFL could nip it in the bud if they wanted to.

It's not the protest that is the distraction.  It's the media attention that comes along with it that is the distraction.  Yes, it's a story...but the media blew this thing so far out of proportion last year.  Not sure how the NFL could really do anything about that.....it's more of a media problem than an NFL problem.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.  And you're not wrong, the media has definitely blown it out of proportion.  Just seems to me a multi-billion dollar league of professionals could act professional and not allow the media circus to distract them from their objective of winning games making more revenue.

Yep, but unfortunately that media circus is inevitable in this case.  The media fucking salivates at a story like this.  There's no way that Kap being on your team isn't going to be a giant distraction...I absolutely wouldn't want my team to sign him.  
    I remember this very same sentiment going on when Michael Sam was around.  It was the media that made it a story.
    OK, so what's your point?  You don't think the media overhyped the shit out of the Kaepernick story???  
    Please see original comment in Bold Italics.

So yes, I believe the media blew this story wide open and made it about what he was doing rather than what he was doing it for.  I think that his back and forth with the Cuban reporter was an educated retort that also got blown out of proportion.
    Gotcha. I misinterpreted what you were saying there.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    I don't agree with much Richard Sherman ever says, but he hit the nail on the head with a 10-ton hydraulic press.
    except Richard will someday himself learn when the skills erode and they can find someone equally as good an employer will always choose the good soldier over the one who wants to stir the pot. it's not complicated.  yea you can speak your mind, but it doesn't mean there might not be consequences from employers.

Edit: and i haven't looked for it but i'm still waiting to see where Kaep supposedly donated his million dollars to as he pledged to do last year.

• pjhawks said:
    I don't agree with much Richard Sherman ever says, but he hit the nail on the head with a 10-ton hydraulic press.
    except Richard will someday himself learn when the skills erode and they can find someone equally as good an employer will always choose the good soldier over the one who wants to stir the pot. it's not complicated.  yea you can speak your mind, but it doesn't mean there might not be consequences from employers.

Edit: and i haven't looked for it but i'm still waiting to see where Kaep supposedly donated his million dollars to as he pledged to do last year.

I had mentioned earlier that he appeared to be making good on his promise.

I am not a fan, but at a bare minimum, one has to give him credit for that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2020
    He fits maybe three teams tops and all of them passed on him either after tryouts or because their backups are under guaranteed contract. 

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:

i respect him for keeping to his pledge. good for him
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I think it's worth asking why this happened

forty eight years after this happened

and then ask, What has changed?  What hasn't? Where are we going this way? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    has anyone compared his 2016 stats to other qbs, 12 4 and 90 rating on a shit team seems good to me

http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/careerstats
  • brianlux said:

Where are you going w/ this?  It's just a picture. Both are diverse.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited August 2017
    ^^Peter Norman (white guy on the podium) is the unsung hero of that picture. It was his idea for the one glove on each hand.  He's also rocking a human rights badge on his jacket.  

He had it way worse when he got back to Australia than Smith or Carlos did here.  Awful backlash.  It ended his athletic career. Both men were his pallbearers when Peter died.  Just an interesting sidenote

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    ^^Peter Norman (white guy on the podium) is the unsung hero of that picture. It was his idea for the one glove on each hand.  He's also rocking a human rights badge on his jacket.  

He had it way worse when he got back to Australia than Smith or Carlos did here.  Awful backlash.  It ended his athletic career. Both men were his pallbearers when Peter died.  Just an interesting sidenote

That is a great story. I don't recall ever hearing about it. Great summary below.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016-olympic-friendships-john-carlos-peter-norman-tommie-smith-mexico-city-1968-black-power-7166771.html
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ^^Peter Norman (white guy on the podium) is the unsung hero of that picture. It was his idea for the one glove on each hand.  He's also rocking a human rights badge on his jacket.  

MT at its finest.

I never knew this. Thanks.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Where are you going w/ this?  It's just a picture. Both are diverse.
    I'm using pictures to illustrate that after 40 years, the struggle for African Americans continues.  Follow the time line: The Civil Rights Movement,  Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, the '68 Olympics black power salute, Black and Brown Stamps, Shirley Chisholm, Million Man March, Colin Kaepernick. 

A lot has changed but too much still remains the same.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    This is a more appropriate depiction of Ray Lewis ...

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Honestly, I can't even believe this is still a controversial issue in any way. I couldn't believe it was in the first place. Ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • If what Ray says is true then I understand why the NFL doesn't want him.  Too much of a distraction in the locker room especially for a backup. 
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    If what Ray says is true then I understand why the NFL doesn't want him.  Too much of a distraction in the locker room especially for a backup. 
    Well, that is one stupid lady. Kaepernick should dump her ass just for posting that shit in the first place. I don't see how he would be a distraction in the locker room because of that though, so the point where it would harm their game ... TBH, I always thought that "distraction in the locker room" theory was a little overwrought in most cases.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    If what Ray says is true then I understand why the NFL doesn't want him.  Too much of a distraction in the locker room especially for a backup. 
    Well, that is one stupid lady. Kaepernick should dump her ass just for posting that shit in the first place. I don't see how he would be a distraction in the locker room because of that though, so the point where it would harm their game ... TBH, I always thought that "distraction in the locker room" theory was a little overwrought in most cases.
    It's a lame excuse.  If a girlfriend posting a message on twitter is too much of a distraction to the Ravens, it makes me wonder how they can concentrate on anything.  They're professionals, they should be able to handle it.

Number of career murders Ray Lewis has been involved in: 1
    Colin Kaepernick: 0
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's a lame excuse.  If a girlfriend posting a message on twitter is too much of a distraction to the Ravens, it makes me wonder how they can concentrate on anything.  They're professionals, they should be able to handle it.

Correction:  Ray Lewis career murders: 2

Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

True, 1 event, 2 victims.
  • Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

True, but Ray is a HOF talent on the field.  Kap is not anywhere close.  And that's what matters most.  Are you good enough for people to ignore all the static (no matter how bad).  Kap really should be on a roster, but I do understand some hesitation for bringing in a player that is a backup and comes with any type of baggage.  And the NFL is a brand...and the teams are brands first and foremost.  They try not to damage the brand.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people offended by Kap's kneeling.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

True, but Ray is a HOF talent on the field.  Kap is not anywhere close.  And that's what matters most.  Are you good enough for people to ignore all the static (no matter how bad).  Kap really should be on a roster, but I do understand some hesitation for bringing in a player that is a backup and comes with any type of baggage.  And the NFL is a brand...and the teams are brands first and foremost.  They try not to damage the brand.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people offended by Kap's kneeling.  
    That is definitely the most disturbing part of this entire saga.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Exactly.  The fact that people get so bent out of fucking shape over someone kneeling during a song.  Not harming anyone.  As a matter of fact taking a stand against violence and discimination.  But you can be part of a double murder and still have a fucking statue made in your honor.

The NFL is garbage.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Exactly.  The fact that people get so bent out of fucking shape over someone kneeling during a song.  Not harming anyone.  As a matter of fact taking a stand against violence and discimination.  But you can be part of a double murder and still have a fucking statue made in your honor.

The NFL is garbage.
    what's worse people bent out of shape over someone kneeling for the National Anthem or people being bent out of shape because some guy can't find a job as a backup QB in the NFL?  
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    what's worse people bent out of shape over someone kneeling for the National Anthem or people being bent out of shape because some guy can't find a job as a backup QB in the NFL?  
    Without the former you wouldn't have the latter.  There's your answer.
    edited September 2017
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    Without the former you wouldn't have the latter.  There's your answer.
    not so sure about that.  either way its a good lesson for people that although your actions might be legal and might be important it doesn't mean there aren't consequences. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    It seems many equate the national anthem and the flag with representing only our military and those that risk their lives for us daily.  In that paradigm, it's easy to see people getting offended.  Especially if they served or have someone serving.  BUt it's clearly not what Kap or others are protesting.  And heck, I'm all for the peaceful protest that doesn't disrupt daily activities.  That works for me.  And this certainly got people's attention...which was the point.  I'll admit, my initial reaction was to be a little mad at Kap...but after reflection I came to a different conclusion.  Unfortunately many see reflection and change as bad and weak.  So they stick to their guns (figuratively in this case) and keep on keepin on.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The NFL is garbage.
    Well what's worse is that people are making this about 1 guy kneeling instead of looking at the data around those stopped and those killed by cops.  

And what's worse is that there are people that assume any cop interaction is a bad one and due to the police.

I don;t care about the kneeling....or that Kap can't find a job in the NFL.  I'm sure he can find a job somewhere doing something.  He wants to be 1 of like 96 people in the whole country.  If you bring excess baggage with you, it's tough to beat those odds.  So maybe he should go do something else.
    hippiemom = goodness