Hurricane Irma

Comments

• g under p said:
    Just last week I looked over a canal next to my house and the water level was a little low. It won't be in a few days, this hurricane is no joke luckily since last year I've moved away from the ocean here in Palm Beach County.

Gas, lines everywhere this morning. My BJS Club where I'm a merchandiser sold out of two trailer loads of water in 50 minutes. Now we none in the Club and many of my shelves are completely empty. People are buying everything in part due to what happened with Harvey.

Stay safe people. Peace
    As I want people to be safe and be prepared, your household should have 3 days food and water in it.  Why there is a mad dash when a storm comes, hurricane or blizzard, baffles me.

How many of you out there actually have supplies in your house?  Serious question.  I have batteries, propane, water and canned/dry goods not to mention the perishables in the fridge.  I have a generator that hooks up to the house that I installed during Sandy.

Everybody please be safe.
  • There's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk but I hope SC's coast is spared. We got hit last October with Matthew and the October before that we had a historic rain event that caused flooding in my hometown. Good luck to all in Florida. My aunt and uncle live near Cape Canaveral but they have never left for any hurricane. 
    Hopefully we don't get anything too bad in SC. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Fingers crossed. Are you in the lowcountry?
    I am in Cola
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • There's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk but I hope SC's coast is spared. We got hit last October with Matthew and the October before that we had a historic rain event that caused flooding in my hometown. Good luck to all in Florida. My aunt and uncle live near Cape Canaveral but they have never left for any hurricane. 
    Hopefully we don't get anything too bad in SC. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Fingers crossed. Are you in the lowcountry?
    I am in Cola
    Me too. 

Just read that McMaster has declared a state of emergency already. Last year my office was closed for three days due to people evacuating Charleston and coming up here. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    g under p said:
    Just last week I looked over a canal next to my house and the water level was a little low. It won't be in a few days, this hurricane is no joke luckily since last year I've moved away from the ocean here in Palm Beach County.

Gas, lines everywhere this morning. My BJS Club where I'm a merchandiser sold out of two trailer loads of water in 50 minutes. Now we none in the Club and many of my shelves are completely empty. People are buying everything in part due to what happened with Harvey.

Stay safe people. Peace
    As I want people to be safe and be prepared, your household should have 3 days food and water in it.  Why there is a mad dash when a storm comes, hurricane or blizzard, baffles me.

How many of you out there actually have supplies in your house?  Serious question.  I have batteries, propane, water and canned/dry goods not to mention the perishables in the fridge.  I have a generator that hooks up to the house that I installed during Sandy.

3 days wasn't enough in Houston.   good luck to everyone in the path.  looks horrendous already.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    "don't over-react"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    JC29856 said:
    "don't over-react"
    :confused: Who said that?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    JC29856 said:
    "don't over-react"
    :confused: Who said that?
    not sure... Bernie has a better memory then me, even when I'm drinking (which is 80%)

www.washingtonpost.com/video/c/video/308e7e78-8eb9-11e7-9c53-6a169beb0953
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    g under p said:

Stay safe people. Peace

I think there are a whole lot of Americans who simply can't afford to be prepared like that. Many of them can barely keep their family fed on a daily basis, let alone afford to keep an emergency supply of food plus gear maintained. I'm willing to bet that the majority of those standing in line to buy food right before the storm are folks who are spending money they don't even have in the face of an actual storm. Sure, there are also simply people with money who didn't bother before, but my point is that it's not as easy for a lot of people, especially a generator - I think to many that sounds like a luxury item.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    PJ_Soul said:
    g under p said:

Stay safe people. Peace

I think there are a whole lot of Americans who simply can't afford to be prepared like that. Many of them can barely keep their family fed on a daily basis, let alone afford to keep an emergency supply of food plus gear maintained. I'm willing to bet that the majority of those standing in line to buy food right before the storm are folks who are spending money they don't even have in the face of an actual storm. Sure, there are also simply people with money who didn't bother before, but my point is that it's not as easy for a lot of people, especially a generator - I think to many that sounds like a luxury item.
    Good point- a good generator cheap plus gas has to on hand and doesn't last a long time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    g under p said:

Stay safe people. Peace

Good point- a good generator is not cheap plus gas has to be kept on hand and it doesn't last a long time (although there is an additive that helps it stay usable longer).

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

(^^^That was supposed to be an edit, not quoting myself)

• OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited September 2017
    Just saw the breaking news, the destruction is unprecendented,destruction of the island Barbuda reportedly estimated at 90%, prayers to all those affected...http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/americas/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands/index.html
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Be safe, everyone 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Wow, it's looking like Irma is going pass right over us here in the Palm Beaches.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Watching very closely from Charleston, SC.  
    Yea, me too. This thing is Matthew times 50! The family is heading to Charlotte, then maybe indiana if it get Hugo like. Scary shit.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • There really is no preparation for a cat 3 or higher. Just leave.
  • Watching very closely from Charleston, SC.  
    Yea, me too. This thing is Matthew times 50! The family is heading to Charlotte, then maybe indiana if it get Hugo like. Scary shit.
    I was a child when Hugo came and we stayed.  I won't be staying for this one.  Off to Asheville Saturday.  

This is not a flood event like so many are saying.  This is a serious wind event.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited September 2017
    Be safe everyone !!!
  • Please stay safe everyone!

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Took 10 minutes topped off my tank and drove over the Florida Turnpike and it's jammed pack heading north. That jusst looks like a nightmare.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I can't imagine being on 95 or 75 in florida. Will they eventually open up the south bound traffic to go north? They will do that in SC on I26.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I can't imagine being on 95 or 75 in florida. Will they eventually open up the south bound traffic to go north? They will do that in SC on I26.
    That's a good idea. Drive safely, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Be safe FLA friends!

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Seeing the videos from the Caribbean are horrifying!  Everyone please GTFO of this things path!  Best wishes for all that have homes in this thing's path :(
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    One thing that people don't think about is the damage that's caused in non-coastal areas.  Palm trees are made for this weather and do well.  Homes in FL are mostly concrete block, since Andrew.  When these storms move inland and north, they take down oaks, maples and other trees that haven't adapted to these conditions.  I was in 3 direct hurricanes when I lived in FL and the worst damage I saw was when Isabel hit Virginia.  It destroyed major parts of Richmond by bringing down 200 year old trees.  If this storm moves up the east coast, that can happen again.  
    This also reminds me of Lolla 92.. first time seeing PJ.  It was in Orlando right before Andrew hit.  You could feel it brewing and we were feeling the gusts all day. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    This also reminds me of Lolla 92.. first time seeing PJ.  It was in Orlando right before Andrew hit.  You could feel it brewing and we were feeling the gusts all day. 
    You're old balls.

;)
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You're old balls.

;)
    19 in 1992 was just about perfect!! 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You're old balls.

;)
    19 in 1992 was just about perfect!! 
    No doubt. I was just becoming a teen around then. Good times.
  • Hopefully this will move out to sea but i feel like I'm going to have an aneurism. Then there's another one right behind this one.