Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Thank you for posting the video, chadwick. I have tried so many new things because of Youtube. It's amazing!

In fact, I made gnocchi recently, and I had a good recipe, but I looked for suggestions on technique on youtube. I saw some instructions that made sense, i.e, this is gnocchi, not potato bread (talking about the amount of flour needed.)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Thank you for posting the video, chadwick. I have tried so many new things because of Youtube. It's amazing!

In fact, I made gnocchi recently, and I had a good recipe, but I looked for suggestions on technique on youtube. I saw some instructions that made sense, i.e, this is gnocchi, not potato bread (talking about the amount of flour needed.)
    I had gnocchi for the first time over the winter.  Very heavy.  I'm finding most pasta dishes now a days to be very heavy.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    "Coarsely chop" is my favorite recipe instruction.  
    why?
    Probably for a different reason than Ms Haiku, but for me it's like the recipe is telling me "you can relax, you don't need knife skills."
    Thanks.

Ms. Haiku?
    I agree with HesCalledDyer.
    Thank you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

f me in the brain,

what happened?   

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    a little stir fry action
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said: .com
    a little stir fry action
    Looks beautiful, rgambs! Did particular tastes steal the show?

I see white onions, red pepper, green pepper, string beans, yellow zucchini, and red cabbage. Am I right?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    rgambs said: .com
    a little stir fry action
    Looks beautiful, rgambs! Did particular tastes steal the show?

I see white onions, red pepper, green pepper, string beans, yellow zucchini, and red cabbage. Am I right?
    You are correct.
    The red pepper is a hot variety, a super chili.

Cabbage tends to dominate anything you put it in, which is just fine by me!  I love the flavor it gives to sautés and soups.  It's my favorite of the brassicas, by far.
    My wife adores a colorful plate, can't say I disagree, so I always grow a nice variety of colours outside of just peppers.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Returned from a holiday weekend trek to lovely Mendocino, CA.  Had some amazing grub while there....but really do love some of the things I am seeing here!

I rarely find myself in disagreement with Viking Chadwick, but I sit on the other side of the table when it comes to two things:
    Offal
    Sushi

Chris is right,the cheek of many fish are the best parts when cooked.  (Or not)

I love many different liver types - even some of them raw.

Eyes - had some good ones.  Pig brains were decent.

Tongue and Feet are the two things I struggle with.

Hell, I enjoy Natto....and that can be some rough stuff.

Sushi is freaking amazing food - for me, it is the best of the best.  I am an admitted sushi snob, and can usually tell by sight if the fish is up to snuff.
    I usually take it in as sashimi (despite rice craft being a very serious thing to true sushi chefs) and any chef worth their salt will dress up much of the fish.  Some, true, are best served sliced up solo.
    The price for an array of excellent fishes served up by a master can be ten-fold (per person) what was referenced here.

Have had the privilege to enjoy sushi with a number of ten club members.  Everyone has been a trooper and been down with eating the likes of monk fish liver, sea urchin gonads, and the fattiest pieces of tuna.

It isn't for every day (or I would be broke) but I will eat it any chance I get.
    Welcome anyone in the Philly area to hit me up and I can share an amazing meal consisting mostly of raw fish.
    And sake.  Oh yes!

I'm down. And your favorite spot is around the corner from my work.

No fucking lady martinis though 
    :lol:
    Deal.
    Martinis don't go with Sushi anyhow. 
    Lets do this sometime in rocktober.  Have a pretty fucked September already but will follow up down the path and make it work.  My Mrs loves the sushi and always wants to join....does Mrs Cliffy enjoy as well?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    chadwick said:

f me in the brain,

what happened?   

Hi Chadwick!
    What happened?  Are you referencing when I wrote that I disagreed with your position on Offal and Sushi?  You know I love the opinions you share here, I just happen to love the gizzards/hearts/livers and also the raw fish.  :)
    I am just fine with less people liking -- more for those of us who do!

Good, old fashioned, steel oats oatmeal this morning.  blueberries and almonds.
    Starts the day off correctly.
  • Options
    Going to the Bourbon and Beyond Festival in a few weeks, looking forward to some deliciousness there!

http://bourbonandbeyond.com/the-basics/food/

What a variety!  I might have to fast the day before so I have the will and space to try as much as I can.  My wallet might tap out before my gut though.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Returned from a holiday weekend trek to lovely Mendocino, CA.  Had some amazing grub while there....but really do love some of the things I am seeing here!

I rarely find myself in disagreement with Viking Chadwick, but I sit on the other side of the table when it comes to two things:
    Offal
    Sushi

Sushi is freaking amazing food - for me, it is the best of the best.  I am an admitted sushi snob, and can usually tell by sight if the fish is up to snuff.
    I usually take it in as sashimi (despite rice craft being a very serious thing to true sushi chefs) and any chef worth their salt will dress up much of the fish.  Some, true, are best served sliced up solo.
    The price for an array of excellent fishes served up by a master can be ten-fold (per person) what was referenced here.

Have had the privilege to enjoy sushi with a number of ten club members.  Everyone has been a trooper and been down with eating the likes of monk fish liver, sea urchin gonads, and the fattiest pieces of tuna.

It isn't for every day (or I would be broke) but I will eat it any chance I get.
    Welcome anyone in the Philly area to hit me up and I can share an amazing meal consisting mostly of raw fish.
    And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Lets do this sometime in rocktober.  Have a pretty fucked September already but will follow up down the path and make it work.  My Mrs loves the sushi and always wants to join....does Mrs Cliffy enjoy as well?
    Good stuff.

Mrs. Cliffy does very much enjoy sushi, though she is not partaking for the time being due to dietary restrictions, if you know what I mean..
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

Mrs. Cliffy does very much enjoy sushi, though she is not partaking for the time being due to dietary restrictions, if you know what I mean..
    Congrats, dude! Where do I send the Mookie Monster onesie?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

• Options
    dankind said:

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

Thanks, man.  All my Philly people are already lining up Eagles gear, so red sox stuff needs to stay far far away
  • Options

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

Yessir!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nice, Cliffy (and Mrs. C)!

I'm craving a McMuffin this morning but always regret it after.

Sooo...chicken salad sandwich for breakfast?  Sure!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    dankind said:

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

Thanks, man.  All my Philly people are already lining up Eagles gear, so red sox stuff needs to stay far far away
    My little dude is being pushed to be a fan of all Philly teams.  I am a fan of all sorts of other teams but I want him to root for the teams local to him, so he has Eagles/Phillies/Flyers gear all day long.  USC is the only distant team I want him to root for...but that is because there is no real college football team in South Jersey/Philly. 
    Family has sent other gear and he wears it but I asked them to stop. 
    If he chooses to like other teams, later, that is his deal.

Dinner tonight -- doesn't get too much easier and sure is good.
    1 (2 Pound) bag of frozen skrimp.  Uncooked, de-veined, shell and head on.
    1 cup white wine
    Old bay
    Salt
    Pepper

Thaw skrimps.  Put a steam basket in a good size pot. 
    Dump skrimps in.
    Pour over 1 cup of wine.
    Salt, Pepper, Old Bay
    Bring to boil
    Cover
    Shake a bit, once skrimps are pink (as they all just turn) pull them out.  (Should be around 3 mins)

Server with rice, salad, and a good fresh vegetable.  (Brocco or Baby Bok Choy tonight)

Drink the rest of the bottle of wine while peeling and eating. 

You peel 'ems are grinding.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    dankind said:

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

My little dude is being pushed to be a fan of all Philly teams.  I am a fan of all sorts of other teams but I want him to root for the teams local to him, so he has Eagles/Phillies/Flyers gear all day long.  USC is the only distant team I want him to root for...but that is because there is no real college football team in South Jersey/Philly. 
    Family has sent other gear and he wears it but I asked them to stop. 
    If he chooses to like other teams, later, that is his deal.

Dinner tonight -- doesn't get too much easier and sure is good.
    1 (2 Pound) bag of frozen skrimp.  Uncooked, de-veined, shell and head on.
    1 cup white wine
    Old bay
    Salt
    Pepper

Thaw skrimps.  Put a steam basket in a good size pot. 
    Dump skrimps in.
    Pour over 1 cup of wine.
    Salt, Pepper, Old Bay
    Bring to boil
    Cover
    Shake a bit, once skrimps are pink (as they all just turn) pull them out.  (Should be around 3 mins)

Server with rice, salad, and a good fresh vegetable.  (Brocco or Baby Bok Choy tonight)

Drink the rest of the bottle of wine while peeling and eating. 

You peel 'ems are grinding.

Yeah, I am good with all Philly teams aside from the Eagles.  I just don't know how I am going to deal with that.

That is good eating.
  • Options

f me in the brain

was just messin around. still your food groups leave me  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

fresh spinach & strawberries, hawaiian deli ham, croutons & newman's own caeser dressing. large bowl, forks & your lady. 

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Love it!
    Spinach, Strawberries, and your lady always sounds like a good meal. 
  • Options
    Good stuff.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736

Offal
    Sushi

And sake.  Oh yes!

Deal.
    Good stuff.

Congrats man!  That's awesome news...good luck with everything!

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Made some chicken fajitas tonight.  Used green and yellow peppers from our garden.  Made some fresh guac too with jalapenos also from the garden.  I'm pretty much a farmer these days.
  • Options
    Fresh guac is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    Thanks, all.
  • Options
    Late night snack was 3 large glasses of Ketel One, consumed during the 2nd half of the football game.  (Add ice and swirl...mmm, mmm, good.)
    I did take a few slices of organic roast turkey breast and roll them around some Seriously Sharp Cabot Cheddar.  Sprinkled with Hawaiian red sea salt.  Delicious.
    You can tell I was in gourmet mode.

As great as sushi and pizza is....sometimes a large amount of vodka, some meat, and some cheese hits the spot!

• Options
    Cabot makes a damn fine Cheddar, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    Late night snack was 3 large glasses of Ketel One, consumed during the 2nd half of the football game.  (Add ice and swirl...mmm, mmm, good.)
    I did take a few slices of organic roast turkey breast and roll them around some Seriously Sharp Cabot Cheddar.  Sprinkled with Hawaiian red sea salt.  Delicious.
    You can tell I was in gourmet mode.

As great as sushi and pizza is....sometimes a large amount of vodka, some meat, and some cheese hits the spot!

So slightly different meat and cheese route, but the wife and I go to DiBrunos about once a month, get a few cheeses, a few meats (duck prosciutto, yuuum), some olives and a nice fresh baguette.  A nice bottle of red, perhaps a cab, sangiovese or nebbiolo and sit on our porch with some music and deliciousness.  Cannot. F'ing. Beat it
  • Options
    Made some chicken fajitas tonight.  Used green and yellow peppers from our garden.  Made some fresh guac too with jalapenos also from the garden.  I'm pretty much a farmer these days.
    Show me some produce!  I haven't taken any pics in a while.
    The garden was a disaster this year, I've only pulled about 10 bushels total so far and that's about half of the usual for this time of year.