Hurricane Irma

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Watching very closely from Charleston, SC.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Ugh. Hoping this one decides to fizzle out on the water.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mfc2006 said:
    Ugh. Hoping this one decides to fizzle out on the water.
    Let's hope so.  Too early to tell what this one will do.  I'm very skeptical of a few reports (especially one I saw on FB- aka "full-a-bull") that are already making sensationalism out of this.  That's not cool because we really don't know yet what it will do.

In any case, I sure our friends in FLA are keep a close eye on this one.  Hope and goods thoughts for all out there.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    If i still lived in Florida, I'd be putting on the shutters, prepping the generator and stocking up on food, water and fuel.

I hope that Irma fizzles out but I wouldn't plan on it. Preparation is never a bad thing. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Fla and PR have ready declared a state of emergency as a precaution.

NWS models seem consistant over the past few days with brushing along the north side of the islands and maybe touching miami.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    So last week one of my guys at work comes to me excitedly asking if I heard about the hurricane. I said what hurricane, Harvey he says no Irma are you ready for it? I said look man we work here in Royal Palm Beach FL, let tell you about the big picture that I see.

Florida is the limp penis of the USA and those tropical waves that start out from Africa then turn into hurricanes, seek the warm waters of the Caribbean. It's one giant spinning vagina with a hole in the middle. What does it want to do take a ride along the1000 mile shlong we call FLORIDA that's getting a rise out of people. So am I surprised another is heading here....not when vagina sees penis just sitting there waiting for action. He laughed he said I never thought of it that way. =)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Just updated to a 5 now.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Just updated to a 5 now.
    Not good
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2017
    Just contacted my family to get their asses up here for a while.

I think they're just going to head up to Ocala or Gainesville instead.

Dumbass crackers. Gah! 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • All the models show it hitting Miami and crushing Cuba.  It doesn't look like it will go North and ride the east coast.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mfc2006 said:
    Just updated to a 5 now.
    Not good

current models suggest the eye may split the florida straights and head into the gulf as one of several possibilities.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hurricanezekehurricanezeke Posts: 177
    edited September 2017
    Check r/tropicalweather for lots of good details.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Cold front in the gulf this week should steer it away from TX/LA.  Bad for anyone it hits but good for those folks still recovering. 
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    yeah this is gonna be a bad one. :(
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • If it splits the mainland and Cuba, would that still be pretty terrible for the southern tip of Florida and Miami? If it passes to the south, the storm surge of the northern part of the hurricane would slam the mainland, right? I'm no expert, but that would make sense to me. 
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article171290172.html

Heading straight for Trump’s Caribbean mansion

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Just the outer rain bands from a storm that size can be devastating. I was unfortunate enough to be driving when the rain bands from Isaac hit Florida. There was water lapping the bottom of the doors on my full size service van after only about 30 minutes. Cars were stalling in the middle of busy roads, power lines and trees ripped down...it was a mess.

That same day I was in a client's kitchen talking when lightning struck his house. It sounded like someone fired a shotgun indoors. The charge came out of the control panel on his range and blew sparks and ozone right between us where we stood. 

The outer bands kick out tornadoes, heavy rain and lots and lots of lightning. 

These storms are no joke. Either prepare for the long haul with food, water and supplies or get the hell out.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    JC29856 said:

Even God can't stand the guy. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    JC29856 said:

You know invoking such a statement isn't that simple even if it is fun to say in this case.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    JC29856 said:

You know invoking such a statement isn't that simple even if it is fun to say in this case.
    explain? said in jest...lighten up for God's sake
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Wasn't sure if this belongs here or the  idiot thread...

Newsweek: Rush Limbaugh on Hurricane Irma: Powerful Storm or Liberal Conspiracy? http://www.newsweek.com/irma-hurricane-limbaugh-climate-change-liberal-conspiracy-trump-deep-state-659890
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    JC29856 said:

I thought it was a Chinese hoax?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • FYI to anybody down there.  The Barometric pressure is worse than that of Super Storm Sandy, so be careful.  There's going to be a surge(wall) of water coming to the cosatlines.
  • There's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk but I hope SC's coast is spared. We got hit last October with Matthew and the October before that we had a historic rain event that caused flooding in my hometown. Good luck to all in Florida. My aunt and uncle live near Cape Canaveral but they have never left for any hurricane. 
    I'm through with screaming
    edited September 2017
    josh van dyke, bvi

https://youtu.be/IjGdi7z_B4U

Post edited by JC29856 on
  • There's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk but I hope SC's coast is spared. We got hit last October with Matthew and the October before that we had a historic rain event that caused flooding in my hometown. Good luck to all in Florida. My aunt and uncle live near Cape Canaveral but they have never left for any hurricane. 
    Hopefully we don't get anything too bad in SC. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Hopefully we don't get anything too bad in SC. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Fingers crossed. Are you in the lowcountry?
    I'm through with screaming
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Just last week I looked over a canal next to my house and the water level was a little low. It won't be in a few days, this hurricane is no joke luckily since last year I've moved away from the ocean here in Palm Beach County.

Gas, lines everywhere this morning. My BJS Club where I'm a merchandiser sold out of two trailer loads of water in 50 minutes. Now we none in the Club and many of my shelves are completely empty. People are buying everything in part due to what happened with Harvey.

Stay safe people. Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    JC29856 said:
    Looks like a nice little vacation spot.