Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835

Made sushi and sashimi. The dark red pieces on the right are from a piece of loin that I bought as well. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    eddiec said:

Made sushi and sashimi. The dark red pieces on the right are from a piece of loin that I bought as well. 
    Damn that looks delicious!  Nice work!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    @eddiec just won the thread
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

i've never had sushi. i've never had the desire to try it.  

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

i've never had sushi. i've never had the desire to try it.  

@F Me In The Brain you have a new mission
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    For those that use coconut oil over olive oil is it because it withstands higher heat, and has more fat, or is it for other reasons? I started to read about cooks using it just recently.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited September 2017
    It is both way over-hyped and amazingly worth the praise.
    You are talking about eating something raw and unflavoured, it's only as good as it is.
    As an Iowa guy who grew up in the country, think of it like an apple or a peach.
    You've probably had last year's cold-stored red delicious from a grocery store and they are just apples.  You've also almost surely had fresh picked Fuji or Honeycrisp from a local orchard and some of them were an eating experience that surpasses the greatest creations a world class chef can create.  Like heaven in your mouth.

Sushi is the same way, it can be an exquisite exploration of flavor, or it can be something that isn't worth your time and is way not worthy of your hard earned money.
    In Iowa or Midwestern Pennsylvania, you are probably getting grocery store red delicious sushi unless you know someone in the trade or you fork out for a $40 meal.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:
    For those that use coconut oil over olive oil is it because it withstands higher heat, and has more fat, or is it for other reasons? I started to read about cooks using it just recently.

i've never to my knowledge used coconut oil

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    thank you, rgambs. that is kinda how i was feelin it. i did once cut off a slice of raw catfish & ate it. that tasted like dogtrash

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:
    thank you, rgambs. that is kinda how i was feelin it. i did once cut off a slice of raw catfish & ate it. that tasted like dogtrash
    Cooked catfish tastes like dogtrash. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Lobster at $5.99 a pound at my supermarket. Got a bit of a feast for this evening 
  • Options
    F Me, le gastronome!  I have enjoyed some of the most delicious and memorable sushi with him (along with fantastic company).

chadwick, I bet you would dig it.
  • Options
    Lobster at $5.99 a pound at my supermarket. Got a bit of a feast for this evening 
    How do you cook it?  I love lobster but it's so rich to me.

(of course this has made me crave the now-defunct Brown Derby's lobster thermidor - damn, that was so so good)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    hedonist said:
    How do you cook it?  I love lobster but it's so rich to me.

(of course this has made me crave the now-defunct Brown Derby's lobster thermidor - damn, that was so so good)
    I love lobster. Soooo much. Some corn and little baby potatoes to go along with it. Fuck and yes.

i used to boil it but have steamed it a bit more of late as it's easy to overcook when boiling. I'd like to grill sometime but never have.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    dankind said:
    @eddiec just won the thread
    Yeah he just teabagged all of us. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    edited September 2017
    Sausage, peppers, onions and spinach. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I use coconut oil as well as olive oil; depends on what I am cooking. I like using coconut oil in Asian-inspired meals. The flavor adds another dimension.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I use coconut oil as well as olive oil; depends on what I am cooking. I like using coconut oil in Asian-inspired meals. The flavor adds another dimension.
    You can also use unfiltered coconut oil with the flavor in it or filtered coconut oil that has little to no flavor. 

It is used for high heat cooking and as Hobbes stated it's good for asian and Indian curry inspired meals.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Then add a dash of sesame oil at the end to kick it up a tad.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Then add a dash of sesame oil at the end to kick it up a tad.
    I like that idea!  Thank you!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I just roasted five heads of garlic to use throughout the week. My apartment smells wonderful. I'm looking forward to cooking new dishes. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    London Broil has been marinating for a few hours and has about 25 more hours to go.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    London Broil has been marinating for a few hours and has about 25 more hours to go.
    Need more than that. Marinating in? What you doing with it?
  • Options
    Got a bone in pork shoulder for tomorrow. Gonna do a little porchetta action with it. Smother it in garlic, rosemary, sage, lemon, olive oil overnight. Gonna do it on the grill. Likely in a pan to retain juice and get that skin nice and crispy. It's a 10 pound fucker, so gonna take a while.
  • Options
    Need more than that. Marinating in? What you doing with it?
    Yup.

Give it up, Juggler.

And yum to the shoulder.
  • Options
    Got a bone in pork shoulder for tomorrow. Gonna do a little porchetta action with it. Smother it in garlic, rosemary, sage, lemon, olive oil overnight. Gonna do it on the grill. Likely in a pan to retain juice and get that skin nice and crispy. It's a 10 pound fucker, so gonna take a while.
    Are you cooking for a school?
  • Options
    Are you cooking for a school?
    Got a bit of a crew eating tomorrow. 8-10 maybe...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Campfire breakfast this morning. Skillet scrambled eggs, bacon, and Pirate Prentice banana pancakes. :glasses:

Time to hike the south ridge. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Before