Options

Cell phone talkers as bad as drunk drivers

2»

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,234
    Guilty as charged. Do it way too often. Either trying to get my playlist or podcast going or reading news blurbs when stuck in traffic jams. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    MayDay10 said:
    The talking isnt so bad, as it is the looking at the phone, navigating, dialing, texting, browsing, etc.

It needs to stop right now
    The talking part is bad and studies suggest it's similar to driving drunk at .08. It's because having a conversation uses up the part of the brain dedicated to vision. You create scenes in your head during conversations. When you talk with someone in the car, they usually cooperate with your driving and what's going on around you. Notice that people often stop talking when you're driving in a stressful traffic situation. When you're talking to someone outside the car on the phone, they don't know the drivers surroundings, and the driver is still attempting to listen and respond no matter what is going on around them. This is why I can't track novels on audio when driving. They often have a lot of words dedicated to describing the scene in the book, but my brain is paying attention to the road. My wife will say "you don't even know what's going on, do you?"  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Cell phone use while driving:
    I will NEVER understand what's so god damned important that it can't wait 5-10 minutes until you get to your destination or pull off in the nearest parking lot to respond. 
    I think it's more of a function of how ingrained driving is in our lives/culture.  We do so much of it that we rarely appreciate just how dangerous it is and it's almost impossible to always be at our highest attention and in the best frame of mind to react.  None of this is a defense for cell phone use while driving.  But I think that's the mindset that  leads to it...we simply take it as too routine when it's the most dangerous thing most of us do nearly every day of the year.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    I got a Baconator last night in the drive through. Stopped in a parking lot to chow. 

you need to have all your concentration on a Baconater. Otherwise it's just a fucking waste. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    I ran a find minute errand in town yesterday and witnessed three drivers using cell phones.
    I'm thinking about some of these options:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I'll take drunks over texters any day.

When I answer a call on my phone while driving, I swear it takes away 50% of my driving awareness. I try not to do it unless its an emergency.

Driving loaded is a piece of cake. Just keep your hand in the 12 o'clock position with the pinky / index "devil horns" and keep the road paving lines between them. (i kid, i kid).

I've taken probably 2 calls when driving a long time ago, and I can tell that my perception of what's around me is like being in a tunnel. I don't know how others don't notice this.

Great roads make for terrible drivers.

In North America the majority of roads are wide and straight which allows drivers to divert their attention away from what they are doing without any real consequences. Many people don't focus on the road because the majority of the time they don't feel a need to. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Jason P wrote:

When I answer a call on my phone while driving, I swear it takes away 50% of my driving awareness. I try not to do it unless its an emergency.

Driving loaded is a piece of cake. Just keep your hand in the 12 o'clock position with the pinky / index "devil horns" and keep the road paving lines between them. (i kid, i kid).

I've taken probably 2 calls when driving a long time ago, and I can tell that my perception of what's around me is like being in a tunnel. I don't know how others don't notice this.

In North America the majority of roads are wide and straight which allows drivers to divert their attention away from what they are doing without any real consequences. Many people don't focus on the road because the majority of the time they don't feel a need to. 
    Yep.  Designed for speed...speed much higher than the posted limit. Speed kills.  And people think they can essentially drive them on autopilot. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited August 2017
    I don't really get how hands free is any different than having a conversation with someone in the car with you.
    (using or even holding a cell phone while driving is already illegal where I am. They have cell phone traps now, just like speed traps).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't really get how hands free is any different than having a conversation with someone in the car with you.
    (using or even holding a cell phone while driving is already illegal where I am. They have cell phone traps now, just like speed traps).
    I do think hands free helps with the visuals of driving. But even hands free when it's busy traffic or something, the person on the phone can't see what is going on and will continue talking at you no matter what is in your surroundings. I stopped talking the other day because there was confusion/congestion at an intersection with some pedestrians and the person on the phone was like "hello? are you there?" Had to apologize and explained I had to pay attention to what was in front of me. They were a little annoyed, but oh well. Hands-free does take a bit more concentration than a passenger convo, especially if reception isn't great. Still helluva lot better than holding the phone up to your ear!

Be it make-up application or eating or screwing with the radio or hands free talking, they're all distractions at some level, but the priority still has to be on the road. Someone else mentioned newspaper or book reading while driving. I've seen that too, and thought about blowing the horn as a 'wake-up, a-hole', but never do because I'd feel horrible if they got startled and wrecked. But, in that plan, I always wait till I'm passed them so they don't wreck me :lol:
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    peek-a-boo!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Jason P wrote:

Yes, I've heard they have the same problem in the Canadian prairies. Every road is straight and flat. Therefore, a large number of the worst drivers in the country hail from the prairies because 1) they don't pay as much attention, and 2) once they're confronted with roads that aren't straight and flat many don't know how to adjust, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P wrote:

Yes, I've heard they have the same problem in the Canadian prairies. Every road is straight and flat. Therefore, a large number of the worst drivers in the country hail from the prairies because 1) they don't pay as much attention, and 2) once they're confronted with roads that aren't straight and flat many don't know how to adjust, lol.
    Heard from where?  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,234
    /\/\/\ Man, you just won't stop. Almost like a stalker to follow to another thread and do the same thing. I think PJ Soul has a legitimate claim for a harassment restraining order. Quit being a jackass.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    fact of the matter is a large percentage of the population simply drive like crap with or without a phone going 
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:
    fact of the matter is a large percentage of the population simply drive like crap with or without a phone going 
    Ain't it the truth!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P wrote:

I live in the prairies, and yes while they are flat, they aren't straight. Only the trans-canada is sort of like that. All of our other highways, the ones I've travelled anyway, are twisty for that very reason. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P wrote:

I live in the prairies, and yes while they are flat, they aren't straight. Only the trans-canada is sort of like that. All of our other highways, the ones I've travelled anyway, are twisty for that very reason. 
    I've only been through Alberta, where I found most of the roads to be straight and flat.... Anyway, I'm just reporting what others have told me.... although I can say that I've seen a LOT of bad drivers with AB plates here, lol ... perhaps it really is an Albertan thing rather than a prairie thing!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P wrote:

I've only been through Alberta, where I found most of the roads to be straight and flat.... Anyway, I'm just reporting what others have told me.... although I can say that I've seen a LOT of bad drivers with AB plates here, lol ... perhaps it really is an Albertan thing rather than a prairie thing!
    oh, there are plenty of shitty drivers in Manitoba (I wasn't being defensive, if that's how you took it).  I was just saying we don't have all straight roads. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Today at a stoplight, a 20-something lady in front of me is stopped, looking down at something.  Light turns green.  Lady still staring downward, oblivious to anything related to driving a motor vehicle.  

Three guesses as to what she was doing (the last two don't count).

• Options
    how drunk are we talking? i do not for one minute believe a cell phone user is more dangerous than a drunk while both are driving. a drunk driver can barely walk when he or she opens the car door to exit their vehicle, so they fall on the ground before the car is put in park. people are stupid, weak & they suck. also a great number of folks can not drive regardless of phone or drink. how the fuck can a dork ass bastard idiot navigate the roadways of major cities w/out fucking shit up? they're bullshit, their beliefs are bullshit, & generally they should be slapped around a bit      

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    chadwick said:
    how drunk are we talking? i do not for one minute believe a cell phone user is more dangerous than a drunk while both are driving. a drunk driver can barely walk when he or she opens the car door to exit their vehicle, so they fall on the ground before the car is put in park. people are stupid, weak & they suck. also a great number of folks can not drive regardless of phone or drink. how the fuck can a dork ass bastard idiot navigate the roadways of major cities w/out fucking shit up? they're bullshit, their beliefs are bullshit, & generally they should be slapped around a bit      
    This is very true.

In town, there is this one intersection where the thru right-of-way is a right turn.  There is a stop sign there, but it's only if you're making a left turn. The sign directly below the stop sign clearly states "Except for Right Turns."  What does EVERYBODY do??  They fucking stop on a right turn.  EVERY. GOD. DAMN. TIME.  People stop at intersections with no stop signs all the time here, yet blow thru every stop sign in town.  It's like I live in fucking Oppositeville.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    chadwick said:
    This is very true.

In town, there is this one intersection where the thru right-of-way is a right turn.  There is a stop sign there, but it's only if you're making a left turn. The sign directly below the stop sign clearly states "Except for Right Turns."  What does EVERYBODY do??  They fucking stop on a right turn.  EVERY. GOD. DAMN. TIME.  People stop at intersections with no stop signs all the time here, yet blow thru every stop sign in town.  It's like I live in fucking Oppositeville.

That's a really weird intersection, then, if there's a stop sign but you only need to stop if you're turning left. If I was driving there for the first time I would probably stop, too, just to figure it out.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    chadwick said:
    Studies I've seen suggest talking in the phone and driving is the same as a .08 BAC. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    chadwick said:
    This is very true.

That's a really weird intersection, then, if there's a stop sign but you only need to stop if you're turning left. If I was driving there for the first time I would probably stop, too, just to figure it out.
    It's because the right turn is the continuation of the street you're on (Greene).  To the left is a different street (Washington).  And even though Washington merges straight into Greene, Greene has the right of way. So if you're making a left onto Washington from Greene, you have to stop because you're crossing traffic.  But if you're making a right you're just continuing on Greene, no need to stop.

I always give out-of-state drivers a pass because I could see how it would confuse someone who isn't from the area.  Without signs, any normal person (including me) would assume you have to stop there.  But people that live here and KNOW the intersection and drive through it every day should know by now that you don't need to stop, especially since the sign tells you not to.
  • Options
    chadwick said:
    Studies I've seen suggest talking in the phone and driving is the same as a .08 BAC. 

again, we're dealing w/ moronic drivers on a phone

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    plenty of stop signs in washington state are set up with a sign under the stop sign saying something to the effect "no stop needit when turning right." well i lived there nearly a decade, but am not from there & when i first experienced such an intersection i was in a big ass tractor trailer & about shit. what a neat thing tho after you're used to it  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:
    plenty of stop signs in washington state are set up with a sign under the stop sign saying something to the effect "no stop needit when turning right." well i lived there nearly a decade, but am not from there & when i first experienced such an intersection i was in a big ass tractor trailer & about shit. what a neat thing tho after you're used to it  
    I never saw one of those in my years on the Olympic Peninsula although we did have one in here in Placerville for several years.  Eventually they took the sign out and replaced it with a regular stop sign.  I was so used to just yielding it's just lucky I haven't gotten a ticket there. 

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P wrote:

Yes I believe Florida has THE worst drivers and the the state with the least insured drivers. One of of the reasons the state (South Florida Palm Beach County) I live in has the worst drivers is in part due very flat and straight roads. Also hardly much traffic compared to the state I  moved from MD and that hideous Beltway. With these straight and flat roads people drive with more speed and take more chances like using cellphones while driving. Everytime I see a driver driving too slow or can't stay in a lane they're looking at their cellphones.

https://smartasset.com/auto/states-with-the-worst-drivers

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)