New OLP (This is a band from Canada called Our Lady Peace)

Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
edited August 2017 in Other Music
1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Post edited by Attaway77 on

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Change the damn title as I had noooo idea what OLP was but I do know Our Lady Peace!
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Change the damn title as I had noooo idea what OLP was but I do know Our Lady Peace!
    I gotcha...  I fixed it. 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I loved Our Lady Peace back in the '90s. We didn't get MTV or VH1; we got Much Music out of Canada. I have everything up until Gravity and have been to several shows. 

But same as above, when did they become important enough to deserve their own acronym? LOL.

There is also a Pledge Music campaign for the new EP if anyone is interested. No signed albums though. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I loved Our Lady Peace back in the '90s. We didn't get MTV or VH1; we got Much Music out of Canada. I have everything up until Gravity and have been to several shows. 

But same as above, when did they become important enough to deserve their own acronym? LOL.

There is also a Pledge Music campaign for the new EP if anyone is interested. No signed albums though. 
    just easier to say. most people in canada call them that. same with I Mother Earth is IME to fans. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited August 2017
    They lost me after Spiritual Machines.   Loved Happiness is not a Fish that you can catch, and Spiritual Machines. Saw they are playing in my area in Oct.  Debating whether to get nostalgic and go see them  
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
    They lost me after Spiritual Machines.   Loved Happiness is not a Fish that you can catch, and Spiritual Machines. Saw they are playing in my area in Oct.  Debating whether to get nostalgic and go see them  
    me too. went all radio-schlock drivel. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was a big fan up to and including Gravity but then got out of them for whatever reason. Apparently I haven't missed much according to most folks.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I'm still debating on whether or not to see them on the Clumsy anniversary tour. I remember the last time I saw them, they let the crowd sing an entire song. 4am, maybe? I remember being annoyed because I paid to see Raine to sing it, not the crowd. I may be in the minority here.

And yes, Eddie does it with Better Man, but only the first verse and not the entire song.
    I'm still debating on whether or not to see them on the Clumsy anniversary tour. I remember the last time I saw them, they let the crowd sing an entire song. 4am, maybe? I remember being annoyed because I paid to see Raine to sing it, not the crowd. I may be in the minority here.

And yes, Eddie does it with Better Man, but only the first verse and not the entire song.
    he has done that for years, and it was the same on their live album. I recall thinking "I want to hear you sing it, not the crowd" as well. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Love these guys - ever since my record store days hearing Naveed for the first time in high school....saw them 2x in college at a super small venue on the Clumsy tour. First time I ever stage dove was at an OLP show! They are one of few bands where I own their collective works.
    www.cluthelee.com

They did that when I saw them, too.  And it was indeed 4am.  And I was also annoyed.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Love these guys - ever since my record store days hearing Naveed for the first time in high school....saw them 2x in college at a super small venue on the Clumsy tour. First time I ever stage dove was at an OLP show! They are one of few bands where I own their collective works.
    Like wise brother... I have such a variety of music, but OLP is one of those few bands I've always kept up with from the beginning. Have all their stuff, I dig these guys still to this day. Original line up has pretty much shifted over the years but they still put out good albums IMO.

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    edited September 2017
    I really don't know much from this band with the exception of what I've heard on the radio. Superman's Dead is fucking awesome... from what I remember. Eons ago.
    Educate me

• Hey these guys backed up GnR in Edmonton this week. That would have been great.

Vancouver got Royal Blood. I liked them, but would have preferred OLP.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • I really don't know much from this band with the exception of what I've heard on the radio. Superman's Dead is fucking awesome... from what I remember. Eons ago.
    Educate me

Haunting...

Listen to Naveed from start to finish. Fabulous album.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • They do a pretty sick version of Tomorrow Never Knows. Forgot about that
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944
    I really don't know much from this band with the exception of what I've heard on the radio. Superman's Dead is fucking awesome... from what I remember. Eons ago.
    Educate me

Haunting...

I love Naveed.  It's pretty awesome.  Clumsy was still decent but not as good.. and it was diminishing returns after that.

First time I saw OLP was in '96 opening for Alanis Morrisette, and they kicked ass.   Saw them do a bar show at the local university the next year, then after that they were headlining the big Canadian festivals like Edgefest... then they're albums stopped being as good and they kind waned away.

I think Matt Cameron drummed on a song or two of there's at one point?   I always thought that was pretty cool.
    Zod said:
    Educate me

Haunting...

I love Naveed.  It's pretty awesome.  Clumsy was still decent but not as good.. and it was diminishing returns after that.

First time I saw OLP was in '96 opening for Alanis Morrisette, and they kicked ass.   Saw them do a bar show at the local university the next year, then after that they were headlining the big Canadian festivals like Edgefest... then they're albums stopped being as good and they kind waned away.

I think Matt Cameron drummed on a song or two of there's at one point?   I always thought that was pretty cool.
    he did. when Jeremy Taggart was injured, MC stepped up and helped them finish the record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

They do a pretty sick version of Tomorrow Never Knows. Forgot about that
    still searching for this track. I lost it when my PC crashed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

also Needle and the Damage Done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I know that after the Chris Benoit thing happened, they retired Whatever. That was a kick-ass song. I'm assuming they still no longer play it live?
    I know that after the Chris Benoit thing happened, they retired Whatever. That was a kick-ass song. I'm assuming they still no longer play it live?
    no. they said they'll never play it live again. probably my favourite track from them too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have it.  It's on The Craft soundtrack.  I'll post it up on Google tonight and send you the link.
    I have it.  It's on The Craft soundtrack.  I'll post it up on Google tonight and send you the link.
    sweet. thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

would you also have Needle and Whatever? I have the live version of Whatever, but I'd like to have the studio track again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I only have the live version as well. I wonder, since it was co-written by the WWF composer, if that's why the studio version was never released by the band?
    i don't recall it being co-written by anyone from wwf. they retired it because it was benoit's theme song, and tied to him and thus the triple murder suicide. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I used to watch wrestling, and it was an instrumental for a while, written by Jim Johnston, composer for WWF. Eventually Our Lady Peace was singing on top of it.

The studio version was released on a WWF album back in 2002, and the band has only released (to my knowledge) live versions. So that's why I'm thinking that the WWF owns the studio recording.

And yes, I read an interview with the band shortly after the murders and they said it sucks that they have to retire it, something like that. But that was a long time ago, and you know how things can change. That's why I was wondering if they ever unretired it. 
    according to what I've read, the band wrote and recorded it during the Gravity sessions. Jim Johnston wrote a few of Benoit's previous entrance themes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

would you also have Needle and Whatever? I have the live version of Whatever, but I'd like to have the studio track again. 
    I have the studio Whatever, but not NDD.  Got home extremely late last night and won't be in 'til late tonight again.  I'll definitely have them for ya by tomorrow night.