Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Not a particularly appealing picture, but a damn fine meal.
    Cajun pasta.
    Cocozelle zucchini, Chinese yardlong beans, poblanos pepper, onions and garlic sautéed with Andoullie sausage.
    Simmer in some heavy whipping cream and sweet white wine, a generous portion of creole seasoning (slap ya mama brand in this case) and some shredded sharp cheddar.  Linguine.
    A nice pile of parmesan cheese at serving.
    Damn, yum.
    Leftovers will be even better tonight.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    $795 for a BBQ class????
    Crazy.
    I'm not master at any kind of cooking, but BBQ is not at the top end of skill sets. 
    Start with good meat, cook low and slow, and use a good rub and or sauce.  That's pretty much it!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    rgambs said:

Cajun pasta.
    Cocozelle zucchini, Chinese yardlong beans, poblanos pepper, onions and garlic sautéed with Andoullie sausage.
    Simmer in some heavy whipping cream and sweet white wine, a generous portion of creole seasoning (slap ya mama brand in this case) and some shredded sharp cheddar.  Linguine.
    Damn, yum.
    Looks good but brown those sausages a bit then put them back in!

• Options
    rgambs said:

Cajun pasta.
    Damn, yum.
    Looks good but brown those sausages a bit then put them back in!

No doubt that would be an improvement, but this was a one pot meal made in haste, so I did what I could.  Didn't want the veggies to go mush

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    $795 for a BBQ class????
    Crazy.
    I'm not master at any kind of cooking, but BBQ is not at the top end of skill sets. 
    Start with good meat, cook low and slow, and use a good rub and or sauce.  That's pretty much it!
    From my own observations over many years, and as someone who does know a fair bit about BBQing and grilling, I find that a lot of people, men especially, lol, are strangely resistant to learning or taking in new information when it comes to that particular skill. No, it's not brain science at all.... Neurosurgeons definitely wouldn't clearly spend years cooking their steaks wrong out of sheer ignorance, and refuse to change their methods for no apparent reason besides stubbornness. I have known people who seem to abandon all logic when they get in front of a grill for some reason. They'll cook their steaks on medium, flip them constantly, and let them go for 15 minutes until they are like shoe leather. They directly grill drumsticks until they are dry as dust and burned. They put BBQ sauce on the meat when it's raw ... and then they pretend that it's good as they attempt to cut it without showing how much of an effort it's taking, hahaha. They refuse to go online and learn the basics, and from what I can tell, get mad when someone tried to give them advice about it. It's almost like they think they came out of the womb with the proper grilling instincts, so to learn anything about it at this point in their lives would be admitting they aren't real men. :lol:
    What I'm trying to say is that a LOT of people could really use a $795 BBQ class! I think the majority of folks have no idea what they don't know about it. There is actually a lot of detail and knowledge that goes into perfect BBQ and grilling. If someone puts one wrong ingredient in the rub or sauce, or puts on the sauce at the wrong time, or gets the placement of the meat wrong, or stands or lays it wrong, or whatever, the dish can be ruined at worst, or not as good as it could be at best. Especially for that segment of society that I mentioned, where they defy logic in the first place.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    $795 for a BBQ class????
    Crazy.
    From my own observations over many years, and as someone who does know a fair bit about BBQing and grilling, I find that a lot of people, men especially, lol, are strangely resistant to learning or taking in new information when it comes to that particular skill. No, it's not brain science at all.... Neurosurgeons definitely wouldn't clearly spend years cooking their steaks wrong out of sheer ignorance, and refuse to change their methods for no apparent reason besides stubbornness. I have known people who seem to abandon all logic when they get in front of a grill for some reason. They'll cook their steaks on medium, flip them constantly, and let them go for 15 minutes until they are like shoe leather. They directly grill drumsticks until they are dry as dust and burned. They put BBQ sauce on the meat when it's raw ... and then they pretend that it's good as they attempt to cut it without showing how much of an effort it's taking, hahaha. They refuse to go online and learn the basics, and from what I can tell, get mad when someone tried to give them advice about it. It's almost like they think they came out of the womb with the proper grilling instincts, so to learn anything about it at this point in their lives would be admitting they aren't real men. :lol:
    What I'm trying to say is that a LOT of people could really use a $795 BBQ class! I think the majority of folks have no idea what they don't know about it. There is actually a lot of detail and knowledge that goes into perfect BBQ and grilling. If someone puts one wrong ingredient in the rub or sauce, or puts on the sauce at the wrong time, or gets the placement of the meat wrong, or stands or lays it wrong, or whatever, the dish can be ruined at worst, or not as good as it could be at best. Especially for that segment of society that I mentioned, where they defy logic in the first place.
    I'm assuming the "Myron" in Chadwick's post was Myron Mixon, a BBQ Pitmaster judge and a competitor. I would love to spend a weekend with him learning the tricks of the trade. He isn't just some backyard dude who got handy with a grill. He knows his shit. $795 seems like a great deal! I agree with you PJSoul, lots of people really have no idea about grilling and BBQ. I grew up with a dad who spent weekends out back grilling and smoking meats, so got an early education, but I still have a lot to learn. I have a smoker, a Green Egg, a regular grill, and love to spend time outside cooking, but also know my limitations.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    rgambs said:

Cajun pasta.
    Damn, yum.

that looks awesome. send on over a plate if you like
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

yes that is a quote from myron mixon's webpage. if i could spend one month with him i'd be out of control. there are some easy things about grilling & smoking meats & there are some rather complicated things about the stuff. i've never put a whole hog over a fire. he could learn me that. haha. never smoked eight briskets, a dozen chickens or a dozen racks of pork ribs all at once either. i could do it, it might be a disaster... probably not a disaster but bad shit could happen... like the cooler of beers & shots may get in the way of the hickory coals & water pan.

life aint easy when you're fat & greasy... from a friends harley shirt. comical stuff

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    myron's grills & smokers are insane. around $3,000 gets you his basic backyard 300 pound charcoal spit. son of a... that's a lot of money, but we're talkin very high quality.    

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    i'd also like to one day put a hog in the ground. never ate pig cooked in the ground either. anyone?  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

yes that is a quote from myron mixon's webpage. if i could spend one month with him i'd be out of control. there are some easy things about grilling & smoking meats & there are some rather complicated things about the stuff. i've never put a whole hog over a fire. he could learn me that. haha. never smoked eight briskets, a dozen chickens or a dozen racks of pork ribs all at once either. i could do it, it might be a disaster... probably not a disaster but bad shit could happen... like the cooler of beers & shots may get in the way of the hickory coals & water pan.

life aint easy when you're fat & greasy... from a friends harley shirt. comical stuff

Whole hog, don't think a cinderblock pit is going to hold up to the heat!
    They melt like plastic lol
    Lesson learned.
  • Options
    i believe that to be true. i've made fire pits using cinderblocks, they crack before long & fall apart    

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chadwick said:
    i'd also like to one day put a hog in the ground. never ate pig cooked in the ground either. anyone?  
    I was just thinking about that (not that I have ground in which to cook a pig, but still).

Myron has a badass name, by the way.
  • Options
    I've never cooked anything but a couple racks of ribs in the ground.
    A whole hog, that's one hell of a pit to dig lol
  • Options
    chadwick said:
    I have, in Hawaii. Best pork I ever ate.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    chadwick said:
    That's what she said =)
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    chadwick said:
    That's what she said =)
    :triumph:
  • Options
    edited August 2017

on bizarre foods w/ andrew zimmern his hosts cook in the ground quite often. how does a person roast a sheep or lamb, head on & indulge in eyeballs or brains or the testicles? i'm not eating testes, brains, eyes or organs. the folks that do eat this stuff seem to really enjoy the stuff. i've eaten beef liver, it's bad, i can't deal w/ the taste. but liver & onions make one's kitchen smell fantastic. trout (& other fish) is served head on, doesn't mean i'm going after the eyes. if im starving to death, sure i'd eat hog snot, but i aint starving to death    

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I have seen this too on shows. They will have an entire roast beast and the locals go for the (eye)balls first.

That's nuts!
  • Options

comical, hobbes

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I am a fairly adventurous eater, though not sure I would go as far as brains or balls.  I have had deer heart on a number of occasions and am a big fan. Duck heart a ton.  Love liver.  Not a huge fan of tripe, but have had it a bunch.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    I am a fairly adventurous eater, though not sure I would go as far as brains or balls.  I have had deer heart on a number of occasions and am a big fan. Duck heart a ton.  Love liver.  Not a huge fan of tripe, but have had it a bunch.
    I may have mentioned this before?

For Valentines day at a Tapas restaurant they were serving a special of Beef Heart.  It was delicious.

I've had pig ears, Kibbeh(raw goat), pig intestine to name a few.
  • Options
    Love me a good chicken gizzard.  My mom made brains when I was a kid; tried it once, no more.  Same for tripe.

I'll try almost anything once.

My dad could down a whole fish (minus the bones of course).  To him, trout cheeks were the "heart" of it.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Love me a good chicken gizzard.  My mom made brains when I was a kid; tried it once, no more.  Same for tripe.

My dad could down a whole fish (minus the bones of course).  To him, trout cheeks were the "heart" of it.
    The cheeks in a large Halibut are the fillet mignon of the fish.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

This is interesting.  Did not know this.  Will have to look into this.
  • Options
    I may have mentioned this before?

For Valentines day at a Tapas restaurant they were serving a special of Beef Heart.  It was delicious.

I've had pig ears, Kibbeh(raw goat), pig intestine to name a few.
    I would definitely get down with beef heart.

Oh, I have had sweetbreads, lots of sweetbreads as well.  Soooooo good.  Israeli restaurant here in Philly called Zahav that has sweetbreads and duck heart.  Highly highly recommended.
  • Options
    i've had: chicken hearts (not bad), chicken gizzards (not bad), chicken livers (bad) & beef liver (bad), i think that's it. i've never had tripe. some say moose heart is wonderful, i wouldn't know. i do wanna know what it takes for someone to prepare & bite into testicles. how does this work in their mind? to me it doesn't make any sense. don't know if i could eat buffalo testicles for $10 or $20 grand. it'd be a rough day. andrew zimmern eats snapping turtle balls. dude's pretty adventurous & extremely drunk  

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Since we have shifted gears and are talking about offal (yuk yuk) food...
    I'm trying to decide what sort of junk nasty lunch I should have.
    Tyson chicken fries and fresh cut potato fries,
    or Cincy Chili dogs and fries.

• Options
    hedonist said:

This is interesting.  Did not know this.  Will have to look into this.
    You learn a thing or two whilst working in the industry.  I would have never known otherwise.

https://snapguide.com/guides/remove-halibut-cheeks/
  • Options
    chadwick said:
    i've had: chicken hearts (not bad), chicken gizzards (not bad), chicken livers (bad) & beef liver (bad), i think that's it. i've never had tripe. some say moose heart is wonderful, i wouldn't know. i do wanna know what it takes for someone to prepare & bite into testicles. how does this work in their mind? to me it doesn't make any sense. don't know if i could eat buffalo testicles for $10 or $20 grand. it'd be a rough day. andrew zimmern eats snapping turtle balls. dude's pretty adventurous & extremely drunk  
    I do get a kick out of bizarre foods.  He has some balls. But yeah, I am not sure that is something I could bring myself to do.

Oh, I guess I have also had lamb head/cheeks in delicious barbacoa.  Now that stuff is incredible when done authentic and well.