How should the world deal with the North Korean threat?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited August 2017 in A Moving Train
Cast your vote.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

How should the world deal with the North Korean threat? 7 votes

Military action
0%
More sanctions
14%
lastexitlondon 1 vote
Urge China to take intervene
71%
cincybearcatDirtie_FrankWildsBLACK35lukemil33 5 votes
Skinnerian conditioning
14%
Thoughts_Arrive 1 vote

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    To be fair in chiming in hear I really should vote but I'm having hard time choosing between those four because my solution would be to smuggle in great music from the west and kindly ask to smuggle out some of there traditional and/or local musics. I seriously don't think anything short of appreciating each others cultures will work.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Recognition and acceptance. Normalization of relations with NK. That's what they want, a seat at the big boys table. I say give them what they want.

They won, it's time to accept that. Unless of course the world is willing to sacrifice hundreds of thousands, if not millions of South Koreans lives.

How to Deal With North Korea

There are no good options. But some are worse than others.

Every option the United States has for dealing with North Korea is bad. But accepting it as a nuclear power may be the least bad.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-worst-problem-on-earth/528717/

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Skinnerian conditioning
    Shit, I forgot a fifth option, Dennis Rodman.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Thing is, they are not a threat
    Bingo!  I'm going with Rodman.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Skinnerian conditioning
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    Skinnerian conditioning
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.
    So might Israel, US, China, Russia, India, Pakiston etc.

N. Korea would be annihilated the moment they use one.  Even Kimmie knows that.

I am more worried that Trump might than NK
    Skinnerian conditioning
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.

Their firing of a missile over Japan makes me think NK is a real threat.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    Bingo!  I'm going with Rodman.
    Rodman is in the perfect position to take action...just sayin'
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.

Yeah, when it comes to nukes, I'm WAY more concerned about the countries you listed. 

And if N.K. did, for some crazy reason, toss a nuke, the reprisal would be massive.  The results would be toxic and deadly in a small region where there's hit but ultra toxic over there and the amount of death in N.K. due to counter attacks would be staggering.  I'm going to assume they're not so stupid as to let that happen.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,259
    Yeah def more afraid of orange bafoon's little fingers having access to those nasty codes !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    brianlux said:
    To be fair in chiming in hear I really should vote but I'm having hard time choosing between those four because my solution would be to smuggle in great music from the west and kindly ask to smuggle out some of there traditional and/or local musics. I seriously don't think anything short of appreciating each others cultures will work.
    lots of truth here.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.

Yeah, when it comes to nukes, I'm WAY more concerned about the countries you listed. 

And if N.K. did, for some crazy reason, toss a nuke, the reprisal would be massive.  The results would be toxic and deadly in a small region where there's hit but ultra toxic over there and the amount of death in N.K. due to counter attacks would be staggering.  I'm going to assume they're not so stupid as to let that happen.

There is certainly precedence for stupid people starting wars they can't win in retaliation for a narcissistic injury.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.

There is certainly precedence for stupid people starting wars they can't win in retaliation for a narcissistic injury.
    For sure-- Vietnam, the Middle East.

Skinnerian conditioning
    Noone is voting!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Noone is voting!
    I don't like any of the poll options, so can't choose any.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Smellyman said:o
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.

Their firing of a missile over Japan makes me think NK is a real threat.
    that is nothing more than telling the world (Trump) to back the fuck up. walk softly and carry a big stick, as it were. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Send in The Night King
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    Smellyman said:
    They have nukes?
    Yeah?
    They might use them.

For sure-- Vietnam, the Middle East.
    Sad but true.
    When comes to nuking places, the US has NK beat hands down:

"Over 41 years, the federal government detonated 921 nuclear warheads underground at the Nevada Test Site, 75 miles northeast of Las Vegas. Each explosion deposited a toxic load of radioactivity into the ground and, in some cases, directly into aquifers."

"In a study for Nye County, where the nuclear test site lies, Buqo estimated that the underground tests polluted 1.6 trillion gallons of water. "

"About a third of the tests were conducted directly in aquifers, and others were hundreds or thousands of feet above the water table."

"In the hottest zones, radioactivity in the water reaches millions of picocuries per liter. The federal standard for drinking water is 20 picocuries per liter."

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/13/nation/na-radiation-nevada13

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    brianlux said:
    When comes to nuking places, the US has NK beat hands down:

"Over 41 years, the federal government detonated 921 nuclear warheads underground at the Nevada Test Site, 75 miles northeast of Las Vegas. Each explosion deposited a toxic load of radioactivity into the ground and, in some cases, directly into aquifers."

"In a study for Nye County, where the nuclear test site lies, Buqo estimated that the underground tests polluted 1.6 trillion gallons of water. "

"About a third of the tests were conducted directly in aquifers, and others were hundreds or thousands of feet above the water table."

"In the hottest zones, radioactivity in the water reaches millions of picocuries per liter. The federal standard for drinking water is 20 picocuries per liter."

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/13/nation/na-radiation-nevada13

yeah only a genius would mess around with radioactivity in or near aquifers. this is insanity  
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Skinnerian conditioning
    So now he's detonated an underground atomic bomb. Shit's getting serious.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    edited September 2017
    Is doing nothing an option?
    FEAR!
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Rodman the most unlikely of heroes, saves the world.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    So now he's detonated an underground atomic bomb. Shit's getting serious.

Their sixth.  Way to pollute you aquifers, NK (of course the US and Russia are kings when it come that).  Craziness.

• PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    We better get ready for another 40 year Cold War. We had it good for 30+ years, time to live threatened again and toughen up. Back to the you'll hurt me but I will kill you stalemate. Problem is Kim is a threat to Europe too...can the world come together and coordinate an attack that's non nuclear but successful? Or accept we live with this threat.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23