The Ocean. Fishing & Whaling. Sustainable? Illegal? Over fished?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    "Fishmeal is a highly processed product containing high nitrogen. Fishmeal is a commercailly made fertilizer made from ground fish bones, offal, trimmings and fish manure.

Fish-meal is used as a soy substitute in many soy-free chicken feeds. It contains very high concentration of purine which forms uric acid and oxidation, and the nitrogen converts to protein. Fishmeal is very cheap and readily available.

Commercially made Fishmeal may contain high levels of mercury and radiation which can affect the health of chickens and the quality of the eggs and poultry. "

https://www.rainbowranchfarms.com/dangers-of-fish-meal-and-chickens

Not trying to be picky, but what are we to draw from this, Brian? 
    Hold on.  I was on a processor that made fishmeal and it was ground up fish that was dried into a powder. Nothing added, that's it.  So it's like taking a fish and putting it in the ground only it's in powder form.  Just like the native americans used to do.

So I wasn't aware that fishmeal was used to feed chickens.  All we ever used it for was fertilizer.  Only thing we ever found it useful for.

I'm curious about the claims @brianlux about the fishmeal and the nitrogen.  It's a natural process from what I understand.
    Yes, fish meal is naturally high in nitrogen. The claim in the article that it "converts to protein" is incorrect; nitrogen on its own can't convert to protein, as proteins are vastly more complicated. However, it looks like the article is saying that the components of fish meal aren't healthy for chickens. I don't know a lot about chicken feed, but it looks like the amount of fish meal allowed in chicken feed is at a low level and the other sources I looked a did not mention significant harms. In fact, fish meal is considered acceptable in and organic chicken diet. 

I am still scratching my head about the radiation comment, though. Is it supposed to refer to contamination of fish from natural and manmade radiation sources, such as Fukushima? If so, the level of radioactive particles found in fish pretty much everywhere is so minimal you would need to eat tonnes of it a year directly to get a noticeable dose. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Augghh!  Fukushima.  No fuking joke.  They're saying 30 to 40 years at least to clean up that mess.  Oh my god, we are a reckless species.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    "Fishmeal is a highly processed product containing high nitrogen. Fishmeal is a commercailly made fertilizer made from ground fish bones, offal, trimmings and fish manure.

Fish-meal is used as a soy substitute in many soy-free chicken feeds. It contains very high concentration of purine which forms uric acid and oxidation, and the nitrogen converts to protein. Fishmeal is very cheap and readily available.

Commercially made Fishmeal may contain high levels of mercury and radiation which can affect the health of chickens and the quality of the eggs and poultry. "

Just simply that it all ties together.   Chicken eat fish from over-harvested oceans.  Poisons in the food chain.   A world with 7.5 billion people and we are eating high on the food chain.  Justifications for our eating habits. Jelly fish taking over the dying oceans.  Human induced climate changes. 

It's easy to get caught up in the little pieces and forget that the whole is in trouble. It's all real and happening and what we do about it will determine what happens next.  I could gloat and say, "Fuck it, I don't care, I'm old enough.  I'll be dead or good as dead by the time the shit hits the fan." 

But then I think about these kids I know. 
    cans of worms! fishmeal (bonemeal) to fukushima! what about how plastics are changing the composition of our oceans! isnt this what someone once referred to as chemical intercourse? good thing Im on floor 1 without windows 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Just simply that it all ties together.   Chicken eat fish from over-harvested oceans.  Poisons in the food chain.   A world with 7.5 billion people and we are eating high on the food chain.  Justifications for our eating habits. Jelly fish taking over the dying oceans.  Human induced climate changes. 

It's easy to get caught up in the little pieces and forget that the whole is in trouble. It's all real and happening and what we do about it will determine what happens next.  I could gloat and say, "Fuck it, I don't care, I'm old enough.  I'll be dead or good as dead by the time the shit hits the fan." 

cans of worms! fishmeal (bonemeal) to fukushima! what about how plastics are changing the composition of our oceans! isnt this what someone once referred to as chemical intercourse? good thing Im on floor 1 without windows 
    I started a thread about the plastic and how much is in the ocean.  There is an area in the Pacific that all the plastic ends up.  It's pretty scary.
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I started a thread about the plastic and how much is in the ocean.  There is an area in the Pacific that all the plastic ends up.  It's pretty scary.
    seen a documentary on that, was pretty gross. literally an ocean of tiny pieces of plastic.

JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

seen a documentary on that, was pretty gross. literally an ocean of tiny pieces of plastic.

What's scarier is that NO country has the desire to clean it up.

Next time someone complains about a plastic bag ban, bring up the great plastic island.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Plus toxins stick easier to the plastic than other materials, the animals in the sea eat the plastic we eat the fishes. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Next time someone complains about a plastic bag ban, bring up the great plastic island.

Is there a way to clean it up? I remember reading about this; seems like you could scoop and filter (kind of like the baleen whales), but apparently the pieces end up too small for that.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Is there a way to clean it up? I remember reading about this; seems like you could scoop and filter (kind of like the baleen whales), but apparently the pieces end up too small for that.
    Not 100% clean but you can get a huge chunk of it.

When the plastic breaks down is the problem.  If you can get to it early the plastic comes out in huge chunks.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    We need to stop producing all this unnecessary plastic, we also need to recycle. 
    https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/blogs/remember-kid-who-invented-way-clean-ocean-plastic-hes-back-and-its-happening

I hope he gets lots of funding!  I remember reading an article about this kid and his invention to clean up the ocean.
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The nations on this planet wont take serious action (on anything) and act as one planet. Not to get off topic but look at the lip service phony do nothing Paris agreement. It was a non-binding non-enforceable (wink and nod) agreement that relied on the "offenders" (each nation) to set their own rules, the time frame to abide by their own rules, to "police" themselves and then report back to the Conference of Parties. Total joke!
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The nations on this planet wont take serious action (on anything) and act as one planet. Not to get off topic but look at the lip service phony do nothing Paris agreement. It was a non-binding non-enforceable (wink and nod) agreement that relied on the "offenders" (each nation) to set their own rules, the time frame to abide by their own rules, to "police" themselves and then report back to the Conference of Parties. Total joke!
    Read the article I posted above.  The kid IS doing something!
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Plastic ocean.  Were he alive to day, I wonder if Dennis Wilson would have been tempted to name his fine album Plastic Ocean Blue.  We are a reckless and foolish species.
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.  I've seen some well intentioned stories (like tempo's story and I do honor the kid's attempt) about proposed methods for cleaning up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch but they talk about gather the large stuff and never talk about the tiny broken down stuff which often lies beneath the surface and is to small to gather in any practical manner in the large quantities that exist out there.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Plastic ocean.  Were he alive to day, I wonder if Dennis Wilson would have been tempted to name his fine album Plastic Ocean Blue.  We are a reckless and foolish species.
    JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly.  I've seen some well intentioned stories (like tempo's story and I do honor the kid's attempt) about proposed methods for cleaning up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch but they talk about gather the large stuff and never talk about the tiny broken down stuff which often lies beneath the surface and is to small to gather in any practical manner in the large quantities that exist out there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpGt5L3GC7o

JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpGt5L3GC7o

Great video!  Worth watching every minute.  That part about the plastic microfibers in clothes toward the end-- eye opening.  A good reason not to purchase plastic (polyester) clothing!

• brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They find those little bits of plastic in fish intestines.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, and good stuff about that in the video JC posted.

Great video.  Thanks for posting.
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

JC29856 said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, and good stuff about that in the video JC posted.
    Just watched.

The clothing item was eye opening. I never stopped to consider it. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • ^^^
    Interesting video.  But let's be honest and ask ourselves if we really are going to stop purchasing those products starting now.

^^^
    Interesting video.  But let's be honest and ask ourselves if we really are going to stop purchasing those products starting now.

I stopped using plastic bags.  I drink out of reusable bottles.  I carry a bamboo fork and spoon set with me.

You can do quite a bit to minimize an impact.

Now I have to check my shampoo and soap when I get home.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2017
    ^^^
    Oh no doubt you can minimize an impact by doing your part.  Maybe you live in area where plastic bags don't get recycled, is that your reason? Myself, where I live we have an outstanding recycling program for plastic bags etc.  with a very high compliance rate.  I don't buy bottled water only because it is a waste of money not to save the environment.  Yes I use reusable bottles as well.  I pack metal utensils for my lunch if i remember and wash them at work.  Ready to use again the next day.  It's becoming overwhelming that we have to go back to being cavemen/women again to appease environmentalists.  In fact  it's gotten to the point that even if we did that we wouldn't be allowed to have a fire as the smoke would be too damaging.

^^^
    Oh no doubt you can minimize an impact by doing your part.  Maybe you live in area where plastic bags don't get recycled, is that your reason? Myself, where I live we have an outstanding recycling program for plastic bags etc.  with a very high compliance rate.  I don't buy bottled water only because it is a waste of money not to save the environment.  Yes I use reusable bottles as well.  I pack metal utensils for my lunch if i remember and wash them at work.  Ready to use again the next day.  It's becoming overwhelming that we have to go back to being cavemen/women again to appease environmentalists.  In fact  it's gotten to the point that even if we did that we wouldn't be allowed to have a fire as the smoke would be too damaging.

:lol:

I'm laughing to hard at this to respond but my friends, Croh, Uhhhh and Urgh have something to say about this:

Crog:  "Who's he calling a cave man?!"
    Uhhhh: "Don't let it get to you, man.  He's just fucking with our heads."
    Urgh: "Post industrialists.  Huh!  Jeez they're a reckless species, man."

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I live hundreds of miles inland so I don't eat much fish.
    I was eating too much tuna, but now I have fresh eggs to replace that lean protein I need.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I live hundreds of miles inland so I don't eat much fish.
    I was eating too much tuna, but now I have fresh eggs to replace that lean protein I need.
    seiner!
  • https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/29/houstons-flood-threatens-turn-polluted-superfund-sites-toxic-gumbo/

I posted this in Harvey too.

Eventually it all drains into the biggest sewer in the world unfortunately, the ocean...
    https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/29/houstons-flood-threatens-turn-polluted-superfund-sites-toxic-gumbo/

I posted this in Harvey too.

Eventually it all drains into the biggest sewer in the world unfortunately, the ocean...
    Major bummer.

but off topic but discussed.
    micro plastics in drinking water

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/study-finds-94-percent-u-s-tap-water-contaminated-plastic/