Guitar designs that, you know, just don't do it for you.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
You won't catch me using the work "bad" here because like just about everything, as soon as you say "bad" someone you know and respect will say, "But I do like it!"  So lets just see those guitars that, you know,  just don't do it for you.

For this first one I think I should get a gold star for restraint in not using that word, haha:

I give you, the Gibson Reverse Flying V:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I was never a fan of the jagged, pointy guitars.

Although I recognize the benefits of the design and its iconic status, Fender Telecasters don't do much for me either. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've always thought V guitars look like tools for toolbags.
    Not my style.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    You gotta admit though, that reverse flying V would make a good trail sign.  "Horsetail Falls, Thataway"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    It probably balances better on a strap than the traditional V. That's about the only positive I can see. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dudeman said:
    I was never a fan of the jagged, pointy guitars.

Although I recognize the benefits of the design and its iconic status, Fender Telecasters don't do much for me either. 
    Same here.  I've known a number of Ibanez fans and many of the guitars sound great, but this type of form doesn't do it for me:

I'm more into the this (smooth curves with a nicely rounded belly :smile:  )

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yep, just like with everything else, when you try too hard, you fail.
    That guitar is trying too hard to be metal and brutal and be played by a band who's font isn't even recognisable as language.  Seriously, have you seen these metal show posters where you can't even make out the name of a single band out of a half dozen?

Yeah, I like some curves, there's just nothing acoustic or sonic about sharp angles.
    I'll bet that Ibanez shreds in the right hands though, they make some damn fine shredders.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Axe guitars.  They looked ridiculous!