Big Herba - the thread that's not about marijuana

oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
edited September 2015 in A Moving Train
Some interesting information in this article about problems in the vitamin/supplement industry, including labeling inaccuracies and purity/quality issues. That is, of course, in addition to the lack of evidence for efficacy of many of the supplements.

Plus I just like the term Big Herba.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/16/your_vitamins_are_dangerous_how_big_herba_is_lying_to_you_partner/
my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
Post edited by oftenreading on

Comments

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I thought before I clicked that this was going to be about the growing mega buisness of legalized Mary jane.Hence the name "Big Herba". I was wrong lol ,but the name fits just as well.

I supplement ,and it is very important to research what is in the products you take.I try to use only well respected labs with Pharmacutical grade products.I stay away from anything with"Propriatary ingredients" that could be any shit of the floor.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rr165892 said:

I thought before I clicked that this was going to be about the growing mega buisness of legalized Mary jane.Hence the name "Big Herba". I was wrong lol ,but the name fits just as well.

I supplement ,and it is very important to research what is in the products you take.I try to use only well respected labs with Pharmacutical grade products.I stay away from anything with"Propriatary ingredients" that could be any shit of the floor.

Thanks rr. How do you determine which labs/companies are reputable enough?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rr165892 said:

I thought the same thing!

What vitamins/supplements do you all take?

Growing up, my mom gave them to us religiously - Flintstones for the basics, cod liver oil, vitamin E. But as an adult, aside from the occasional extra B or C when I'm sick or getting sick, I don't take anything.

One of my cousins is a well-known and respected cardiologist who eschews taking vitamins; says if you just eat healthy you don't need them. Easier said than done, though!
    I take very few supplements because for most of them the evidence just isn't there.

I do take a D3 supplement because I think there is enough evidence for its benefit and I live in a cloudy area. I have taken probiotics in the past when I had a series of antibiotic treatments for stubborn sinus infections, and I believe the probiotics helped then. Lastly, and a bit off topic, I use melatonin if my travels take me across several time zones and it has been really helpful, particularly when traveling to Europe.
    edited February 2015
    There are some national brands like Sundown that are good.Gnc And Vitamin Shoppe have real good trusted house brands.whole foods 365 brand is also good.
    I take D3,Zinc with vitamin c.and a powder with like billions of probiotics called "Green Vibrance"the stuff is great.I eat very clean and get in a lot of veggies and fruit. So that helps.I limit my cheating to one day and only 2 meals,usually on sat.There are a couple of peptide liquids I take but that's more in the weight training,lean mass arena then straight up sup stuff.
    I also am big intoregulate my Hormones,I think all men who are active should monitor this.but that's a whole different topic.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    A friend of mine once called me a "pill popper". Looking at all the supplement I take, she's probably right, haha!

Thanks for posting the article, often reading! I usually am fairly careful about buying quality supplements but lately I've been getting some of them from Swanson's on their house brand label. Does anyone know if they are reliable? No way do I want to be ingesting floor sweepings!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I take cod liver oil every day along with a probiotic because we all have some gut impermeability that could use a good bacteria boost. I agree that you have to be really careful when choosing a brand. I alway look to see what the additional, usually inactive, ingredients are as well. Most contain soy by-products that you don't want. Dr. Ron's is a great brand and I just ordered Metagenics d3 supplement as my doctor said I'm really low in vitamin D right now.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • I use Vitafusion. Damn, now I feel like I need to research them. I like the gummies because they absorb better than the pills. But I may go back to Nature Made, whom I know are good.
    BSL natures made is solid.
    I was at the Market last evening.Inspired by this thread I glanced at a couple of labels.Pretty much any of the gummy supplements are made with lots of sugar,corn syrup and other crap.Slow dissolve tablets seem a better option for those who chose not to do pill form.
  • The gummies have 15 calories and 2 g of sugar per gummy. Not much but yeah, still there.
    Reviving this old thread because I just read an interesting article about the increased - yes, increased - risk of cancer, particularly lung cancer, in men who use large doses of vitamins B12 and B6 ("large" defined compared to what nutritional science says we need, but still at the doses provided in many over the counter supplements sold in health food stores or even grocery stores).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/08/b12-energy/537654/

I have been wary about supplements for some time. I am a skeptic, particularly about miracle claims and what seems to be the common belief that vitamins, minerals, and other supplements are healthy and can't possibly do you harm.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Only Vitamin P for me.

And only in moderation...which since becoming a father is...like....never.

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    dignin said:
    Only Vitamin P for me.

And only in moderation...which since becoming a father is...like....never.

Pilsner? Yum!  Are you in/from Alberta?
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop