Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    I wonder when we are gonna see that Golden Ticket surface in someone's deluxe.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    edited August 2017
    Just listened to the new vinyl. I got the standard version. First things first, the vinyl is well done. It is clean, flat, and pressed centered. I can't tell you how many new vinyl and warped, filthy and/or pressed off center. So it is cut very well. And the artwork is great, love it. Also, this double vinyl, pressed and cut well, WITH A DOWNLOAD CARD, was under $25. Why cant every band accomplish this?

Music- after one spin I am happy. I have avoided leaks and overlistening to released tracks so that I could go start to finish and feel it new. I enjoyed it. It was not up there with Like Clockwork, but to expect that would be unfair as that is a damn masterpiece IMO. 

I like all the songs, good vocals, good music. Not a huge fan of the production however. The drums are very thin and dry. In fact, the only music that jumps out is the kick drum and bass guitar, providing that funky sound you keep hearing about. I like it, but a little too dry for my taste. 

It'll grow, I'm sure, but I already enjoyed it on my first listen. Solid follow up to the best of their catalog, and a job well done on the vinyl product!
    Post edited by pjpitt89 on
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    They sent me two CD's on accident.  That's cool I guess.  
    The first listen reminded me of the old adage my dad told me and his dad told him when he was young:  "you can't follow-up Like Clockwork"
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Un-reborn is a killer track
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Fuck me, Un-reborn Again
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    I'm the idiot that still preorders a CD and of course it didn't show up today. So I'm gonna need everyone to stop talking about how good it is. Thank you. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    RS151862 said:
    I'm the idiot that still preorders a CD and of course it didn't show up today. So I'm gonna need everyone to stop talking about how good it is. Thank you. 
    It really sucks. Cancel your order! ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    tbergs said:
    RS151862 said:
    It really sucks. Cancel your order! ;)
    I knew it. F'n Ronson. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I was hoping Un-reborn Again was only my favourite song.  Killer song indeed.

Middle finger and split
    Damn this is a good album. Originally I didn't think it could top Clockwork, but after another full run through this morning, I'm not so convinced. There are so many noticeable musical influences throughout the album. I hear parts of the late Beatles, Zeppelin and even Tool at times.

I knew this would happen too, Fortress through Hideaway has become my favorite run, bookmarked by two of the heavier songs, Domesticated Animals and The Evil Has Landed. 
  • It really is amazing the level of quality over Clockwork and now Villains. They are like on an epic level that few bands attain. I know they are two different bands, but I wish PJ would get this creative and wild in the studio. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Really digging the first track, Feet Don't Fail Me.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    It really is amazing the level of quality over Clockwork and now Villains. They are like on an epic level that few bands attain. I know they are two different bands, but I wish PJ would get this creative and wild in the studio. 
    Agreed. Haven't heard anything ground breaking from PJ since Binaural, which is my favorite. To me this album is their Binaural. It will alienate some, but others will love it, me being one. I love the theme and focus of the album. Hommes' vocals and lyrics are his best in my opinion. Domesticated Animals is the most relevant lyrical song on the album and it's phenomenal. I finally am confident in saying it is better than any of their previous work. Amazing piece of music even after 20 years.
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Josh is brilliant....can't stop playing this....refreshing to hear music that is all over the map and takes risks.....Like Clockwork is a masterpiece, given time, Villains may be held in the same regard......October can't get here soon enough to see them live again and hear this new material in all its beauty
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Songs for the Deaf came out 15 years ago today :sunglasses:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    tbergs said:
    It really is amazing the level of quality over Clockwork and now Villains. They are like on an epic level that few bands attain. I know they are two different bands, but I wish PJ would get this creative and wild in the studio. 
    Agreed. Haven't heard anything ground breaking from PJ since Binaural, which is my favorite. To me this album is their Binaural. It will alienate some, but others will love it, me being one. I love the theme and focus of the album. Hommes' vocals and lyrics are his best in my opinion. Domesticated Animals is the most relevant lyrical song on the album and it's phenomenal. I finally am confident in saying it is better than any of their previous work. Amazing piece of music even after 20 years.
    There is no way Villains sniffs their top 3 albums.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    tbergs said:

Agreed . I've been working my way through their catalog and while I really like Villains, it's bring up the rear compared to their previous work. Doesnt have the consistency or the high points of the albums with which I'm familiar, and that's all but S/T.
    If your talking strictly in terms of heavier rock tracks, then yes, this album isn't in the top 3; however, if you compare on a scale of a total musical experience that encompasses a range of sounds, feelings and emotions, than this album is in the top 1 or 2. It is something to be felt. They could have pounded out another Like Clockwork and everyone would have been happy, but they stepped outside the box and pushed themselves to avoid status quo rock, which is about what we all would expect from them based on their catalog. I was worried I wouldn't like the experimental components that were being hinted at with this album, but that is not the case. I think I wanted another Like Clockwork because it would be safe and easy to put on and feel comfortable with, but I am so glad that is not what we got. Homme and QOTSA have kept things lively and pushed the rock genre forward with each release. I want the next PJ album to be this daring

I know I said this earlier, but it reminds me a lot of mid era PJ, I wanted another Vitalogy or Yield, but got something much better than I would have ever imagined.
    tbergs said:
    If your talking strictly in terms of heavier rock tracks, then yes, this album isn't in the top 3; however, if you compare on a scale of a total musical experience that encompasses a range of sounds, feelings and emotions, than this album is in the top 1 or 2. It is something to be felt. They could have pounded out another Like Clockwork and everyone would have been happy, but they stepped outside the box and pushed themselves to avoid status quo rock, which is about what we all would expect from them based on their catalog. I was worried I wouldn't like the experimental components that were being hinted at with this album, but that is not the case. I think I wanted another Like Clockwork because it would be safe and easy to put on and feel comfortable with, but I am so glad that is not what we got. Homme and QOTSA have kept things lively and pushed the rock genre forward with each release. I want the next PJ album to be this daring

I know I said this earlier, but it reminds me a lot of mid era PJ, I wanted another Vitalogy or Yield, but got something much better than I would have ever imagined.
    To me it sounds like QOTSA.   I think it would sound like what a B-side record of Like Clockwork would sound like.   Just don't have the same reaction to it.  To me their records minus Clockwork have several filler songs that rock hard but are missing the hook.  Clockwork is great start to finish.  This record seems like 50% filler.  

I agree that PJ needs to be daring with their next record.   LIghtning Bolt was safe dad rock.    PJ doesn't take you on a journey like Queens does.   They aren't the same band though nor the same style, so you can't expect something that isn't there.  
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    edited August 2017
    DewieCox said:
    tbergs said:

Agreed . I've been working my way through their catalog and while I really like Villains, it's bring up the rear compared to their previous work. Doesnt have the consistency or the high points of the albums with which I'm familiar, and that's all but S/T.
    Can I just say, do yourself a favour Dewie and have a listen to S/T, for me it's in their top two records with Rated R, it's so good..
    Post edited by reesdog on
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I feel like Head Like A Haunted House could have been an Eagles of Death Metal song. the riff and the tone of it and the tempo of the song have the same feel as EODM. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    reesdog said:
    DewieCox said:
    tbergs said:

Can I just say, do yourself a favour Dewie and have a listen to S/T, for me it's in their top two records with Rated R, it's so good..
    Definitely aim to. Been shuffling their catalog while I mow this summer and it's the last album to pique my interest. I'm getting old and it takes awhile to get in a mood for the heavier stuff.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I'm struggling to get into the new one.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Boneface, who did the artwork, had made some art early on in the process which had a different track listing that I think flows a little better if people are interested. 
    Feet Don't Fail Me
    Haunted House
    Domesticated Animals
    Fortress
    Villians of Circumstance
    The Evil Has Landed
    Un-Reborn Again
    The Way You Used To Do
    Hideaway

looking to hear of the earth
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Boneface, who did the artwork, had made some art early on in the process which had a different track listing that I think flows a little better if people are interested. 
    Feet Don't Fail Me
    Haunted House
    Domesticated Animals
    Fortress
    Villians of Circumstance
    The Evil Has Landed
    Un-Reborn Again
    The Way You Used To Do
    Hideaway

I do like that listing
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    First listen I was a little disappointed....now I love it.  Great album.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Did anybody get a sticker sheet with their album?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Dude, you kill me. Stuff first, music second? Haha!! Such a collector! :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Dude, you kill me. Stuff first, music second? Haha!! Such a collector! :lol:
    I opened it first and saw this in there.  I'll listen to it over the weekend.  I'm seeing these guys twice coming up and I'll be in GA both times.  Where will you be when they are touring?