Does McCready have bad technique?

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
I guy I know keeps telling me like Hendrix, McCreday has bad technique when playing guitar.  True or not

(I've been playing guitar over 20 years but I don't know shit about theory)
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited August 2017
    Depends on who you ask. He's obviously making a living playing guitar. He must be doing something right.

Is the guy you know as an accomplished guitar player as Mike? 
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Lol, hell no.  
  • nittanysurfernittanysurfer Philadelphia, PA Posts: 49
    I heard Mike say in an interview that he wasn't a very technical guitar player but some of the stuff he does is difficult.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
    Camden, '98
    Camden, '00
    Philadelphia, State College, '03
    Camden, '06
    Philadelphia, '09
    Philadelphia, '13
    Philadelphia, '16

Adam Jones from Tool said something in an interview that stuck with me. He pretty much said that taking guitar lessons and learning the "proper" way to play isn't really necessary as long as you're playing music you like. 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I would say that he sounds sloppy to me occasionally, though I don't claim to have a particularly educated ear.  I feel like his notes and tones tend to blur when he plays very fast, though I couldn't quantify why.
    Technical skill definitely isn't everything, the list of technically great guitarists who lack soul or haven't been able to lodge themselves in people's psyches is a very long list.

Bottom line, ANY band should/would be glad to have him as their lead guitarist, particularly back when he was so damn good as a teenager and young adult.  
    It's one thing for him to rock so hard now, but who his age could play like that in the early 90's?? Almost nobody.
    Frusciante maybe, but even he didn't have that same hot fire.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My buddy who has played in bands his whole adult life, and also loves Pearl Jam, fondly refers to Mike as 'The Noodler' because he plays all over.
    Mike is a bad ass guitar player.  Being compared to Hendrix like your friend did....that is awesome company.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I've never heard anyone ever say Hendrix had "bad technique".  But what does that mean?  Should he have sat in a chair with the guitar cradled between his thighs like Segovia and finger picked intricate mixolydian phrases and runs while sight reading Villa-Lobos?  Strange criticism.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    I would say that he sounds sloppy to me occasionally, though I don't claim to have a particularly educated ear.  I feel like his notes and tones tend to blur when he plays very fast, though I couldn't quantify why.
    Technical skill definitely isn't everything, the list of technically great guitarists who lack soul or haven't been able to lodge themselves in people's psyches is a very long list.

Bottom line, ANY band should/would be glad to have him as their lead guitarist, particularly back when he was so damn good as a teenager and young adult.  
    It's one thing for him to rock so hard now, but who his age could play like that in the early 90's?? Almost nobody.
    what songs would you say he is sloppy on?

brianlux said:
    I've never heard anyone ever say Hendrix had "bad technique".  But what does that mean?  Should he have sat in a chair with the guitar cradled between his thighs like Segovia and finger picked intricate mixolydian phrases and runs while sight reading Villa-y Lobos?  Strange criticism.
    exactly Brian!  the guy obviously has a very strong dislike for pearl jam.  It really is a stupid conversation. lol
    here's the guys argument:  You can start with his inability to control the noise emanating from his lack of right or left hand muting. This is essential when it comes to being able to play notes that can actually be heard instead of having a garbled mess of noise. He can't actually control his instrument. Secondly, his intonation for bends is only slightly better than a beginner's. I think I had better bends after my first six months. His ears are either toast or he never had them to begin with. Third, his creativity with licks isn't actually present. They're generic rock licks that everyone learns in beginner to intermediate lessons, only they're sped up to sound cooler than they really are. This makes sense since most of his licks are right out of the Hendrix/Page book anyway. Fourth, he needs to lay off the wah-wah before he becomes Kirk Hammet. I can continue. 

And he qualifies as a guitar player which is different than a musician. A musician is someone that has genuine ability but happens to just play one or more instruments. A musician can make any instrument (or non-instrument) that they choose sound good.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

It's one thing for him to rock so longhard now, but who his age could play like that in the early 90's?? Almost nobody.
    Even Flow is sometimes a masterpiece balet and sometimes a frantic jitter, and sometimes it is a little of both.
    His sound isn't particularly precise compared to someone known for precision, I'm thinking of Eric Johnson, but it has passion out the ass in ways people like him can't muster.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

It's one thing for him to rock so longhard now, but who his age could play like that in the early 90's?? Almost nobody.
    Even Flow is sometimes a masterpiece balet and sometimes a frantic jitter, and sometimes it is a little of both.
    His sound isn't particularly precise compared to someone known for precision, I'm thinking of Eric Johnson, but it has passion out the ass in ways people like him can't muster.
    yeah I can definitely see that when talking about even flow.
    The thing that your friend seems to be overlooking is that Mike plays in the right context of the band. His playing serves the songs and the other instruments. 

More importantly, he engages the listener. His playing resonates with a hell of a lot of people that feel emotional connections to the music he makes with his guitar. 

If that isn't the whole point of playing guitar in the first place, I don't know what is.

Oh. Chicks. I forgot about playing to get chicks. 
    dudeman said:
    The thing that your friend seems to be overlooking is that Mike plays in the right context of the band. His playing serves the songs and the other instruments. 

More importantly, he engages the listener. His playing resonates with a hell of a lot of people that feel emotional connections to the music he makes with his guitar. 

If that isn't the whole point of playing guitar in the first place, I don't know what is.

Oh. Chicks. I forgot about playing to get chicks. 
    I totally stole that! great insight!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Mike is great. Not groundbreaking or anything, but great.  His energy at concerts is huge for Pearl Jam's touring success.

Mike is great. Not groundbreaking or anything, but great.  His energy at concerts is huge for Pearl Jam's touring success.

Exactly.  Sure, Mike is not a virtuoso in the most strict technical sense but so what? His presence within the band, his energy, his connection to the audience his interplay with the band- you remove that and a big chunk of what makes Pearl Jam a great band is lost.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• True
    It's horrific.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    No, his playing is so organic and feel based. This ain't no lame ass G3 Live shit.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    No, his playing is so organic and feel based. This ain't no lame ass G3 Live shit.
    Exactly right. This is what I try to tell people. When Satriani or Vai are playing I will watch in awe at their technique and mastery, but I don't feel the music. I'm just impressed with their amazing skills. When Mike is playing I can feel it - I'm moved. That is more important to me. Mike may not have the technical skills of a Satriani, but Mike can bring tears. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    Exactly right. This is what I try to tell people. When Satriani or Vai are playing I will watch in awe at their technique and mastery, but I don't feel the music. I'm just impressed with their amazing skills. When Mike is playing I can feel it - I'm moved. That is more important to me. Mike may not have the technical skills of a Satriani, but Mike can bring tears. 
    And though he stays 'at home' in fairly standard scales, when you consider the fucking context (*see Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament & Matt Cameron) he's playing those scales in? Yeah, welcome to our favorite band.
    www.cluthelee.com
    I truthfully cannot stand technical playing like G3 or watching some kid play all the guitar parts to Metallica's 'One' all by himself. Ugh. Just gimme the feels for god's sake! Register some damn emotion!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • This thread cracks me up.  OP where you having a few when you posted this?  I would love to see Mikes reaction of any guitar player coming up to him and saying "Hey Mike, you're a great guitar player and I respect your work but your technique needs a little work"
    No not at all!  The guy I was arguing with clearly hates pj
  • mcgruff10 said:

Ha.  Have you talked to him since?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Take him to a show and he will change his mind!

I have a pod cast on a CD somewhere where this guys is talking to these would be hipsters and he is telling them, "Look you guys, I get why you think Pearl Jam is lame.  They're super big [these guys hate everything big even if it is good] and make a ton of money [these guys probably also hate money] but if you had been to there [to the PJ show he went to] you would change your minds.  These guys put on one of the best shows I've ever seen!"

Beware of phony hipsters! 

• I truthfully cannot stand technical playing like G3 or watching some kid play all the guitar parts to Metallica's 'One' all by himself. Ugh. Just gimme the feels for god's sake! Register some damn emotion!
    I actually enjoy G3 but hey?!

Totally agree with you about some technical stuff.  Buckethead is one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever watched but there's something missing.

Something I would argue with guitarists about is when I hear them say "oh that's soooooo easy to play" and I'll reply back, yeah might be easy to play but that person came up with it and you're still playing THEIR music.

Some of you may recall- and this goes back a ways- that someone here posted this picture of Mike during his sabbatical from playing guitar to become a seamstress (pink fingernail polish and all!).  Who ever posted this picture, please take credit for it is truly a rare glimpse of another side of the man.

mcgruff10 said:

Ha.  Have you talked to him since?
    nah.  he's one of those snotty jazz musicians lol.
  • brianlux said:
    Some of you may recall- and this goes back a ways- that someone here posted this picture of Mike during his sabbatical from playing guitar to become a seamstress (pink fingernail polish and all!).  Who ever posted this picture, please take credit for it is truly a rare glimpse of another side of the man.

That is hilarious!   Some weed must have been smoked to come up with this.
    brianlux said:

That is hilarious!   Some weed must have been smoked to come up with this.
    LOL!  Yeah someone here was mighty clever!