Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    My wife tells the story about a woman who came into the bookstore and asked if we had "the original Bible".  My wife said, "Do you mean an older Bible like a King James version?"  The woman said said, "No! I want the original Bible!"

It's too bad we didn't have it.  It might have answered some of the questions here!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited August 2017
    Mr backspacer

Post edited by Shyner on
  • Options
    Shyner said:
    I think too much is put into history and books while spirit and future should write truth presently. 

This sounds like an interesting statement even though I have only the vaguest idea what you mean.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I'm not even certain the site is reputable. Just thought I'd share.

I've been taking everyone's opinion/thoughts/views into consideration and have been thinking a lot. Been thinking about my kids. As usual.
    yeah. I had never seen that site before, so i was wary of the content as well. my comment wasn't directed at you, more the content of the article. if an atheist doesn't believe in god, why would they take this book as confirmation that jesus didn't get crucified? and yet, he went to heaven while still alive. how the hell does that work?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    My wife tells the story about a woman who came into the bookstore and asked if we had "the original Bible".  My wife said, "Do you mean an older Bible like a King James version?"  The woman said said, "No! I want the original Bible!"

It's too bad we didn't have it.  It might have answered some of the questions here!
    The very first one ever written?

Lol. Go get some chocolate milk, lady.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    FoxyRedLa said:

I've been taking everyone's opinion/thoughts/views into consideration and have been thinking a lot. Been thinking about my kids. As usual.
    yeah. I had never seen that site before, so i was wary of the content as well. my comment wasn't directed at you, more the content of the article. if an atheist doesn't believe in god, why would they take this book as confirmation that jesus didn't get crucified? and yet, he went to heaven while still alive. how the hell does that work?
    I agree. I wandered into the corny jokes thread. Smh. Some jesus jokes in there. Wow.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,521
    edited August 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:

An Atheist doesn't necessarily reject the existence of Jesus or his crucifixion. There is definitely a solid debate about whether or not Jesus was a real man or not (I am personally on the fence on that one), but I think the majority of Atheists probably still think that Jesus was a real guy who went around preaching and who started the religion that eventually became Christianity. I personally think that, if he did exist at all (again, there are some convincing arguments to suggest this isn't the case, but others to suggest it is), he was basically like David Koresh or Jim Jones, but with a much better personality, and not evil. And Christianity can more be almost wholly attributed to his surviving apostles and everything that happened after Jesus was killed (if he was). I'm sure that, if Jesus knew what became of his teachings over the past 2000 or so years, he'd take it all back and kept his mouth shut.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I know they don't. My point was that atheists reject the historical accuracy of a religious text, which this is. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I know they don't. My point was that atheists reject the historical accuracy of a religious text, which this is. 
    True, but most acknowledge that there are still parts of the Bible that are at least partially based on reality. That's just a fact. Obviously, the term "historical accuracy" doesn't work, but still...
    Hell, a large part of the Bible isn't even an accurate record of the Bible. It's been rewritten and manipulated and changed so much over the centuries.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    which parts of the bible are based in reality? besides the possible/probable existence of certain humans, of course. I can't think of any right now. Although, I haven't read it in a couple decades. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    which parts of the bible are based in reality? besides the possible/probable existence of certain humans, of course. I can't think of any right now. Although, I haven't read it in a couple decades. LOL
    I was indeed talking about certain specific people as well as certain specific cities (obviously) and certain events. Example: it seems to be factual that John the Baptist actually existed (not at all surprising, since real people were at the root of the spread of early Christianity). Same with Pontius Pilate. Also, the Hebrews did indeed live a nomadic desert existence at one point. King Herod was also a real guy, and King David was supposedly a real King as well. Stuff like that. Also, the descriptions of Romans vs the Jewish counsels were based in reality, that kind of thing. There are also consistencies between the stories that were inflated and reality, i.e. certain plagues and famines and shit like that seem to line up with the stories in the Bible. The writers of the Bible took real things and then twisted them to have religious weight. There is even archeological evidence that shows large floods did take place in that region way back in 5000 BC or whatever. The Biblical scholars do seem to have had some historical records (or oral records) that they based their stories on. It was like history inspiring fiction. There are loads of examples like this in the Bible.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582

If there is a God:

Dear God If you want us toimpeach Trump justgive us a sign Like blotout the sun anytime inthe next weekThanksAmerica

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    PJ_Soul said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

An Atheist doesn't necessarily reject the existence of Jesus or his crucifixion. There is definitely a solid debate about whether or not Jesus was a real man or not (I am personally on the fence on that one), but I think the majority of Atheists probably still think that Jesus was a real guy who went around preaching and who started the religion that eventually became Christianity. I personally think that, if he did exist at all (again, there are some convincing arguments to suggest this isn't the case, but others to suggest it is), he was basically like David Koresh or Jim Jones, but with a much better personality, and not evil. And Christianity can more be almost wholly attributed to his surviving apostles and everything that happened after Jesus was killed (if he was). I'm sure that, if Jesus knew what became of his teachings over the past 2000 or so years, he'd take it all back and kept his mouth shut.
    I'm not sure that I believe that.  There were many writers back in the supposed time of Jesus and no one wrote about this person.  

Wouldn't you think that someone that walked on water and turned smelly fish into loaves of bread would have gotten some attention?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I'm not sure that I believe that.  There were many writers back in the supposed time of Jesus and no one wrote about this person.  

Wouldn't you think that someone that walked on water and turned smelly fish into loaves of bread would have gotten some attention?
    Twitter was not as active at that point. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

I didn't name Jesus as one of the people who were real in my next post for a reason. That is a big debate, and as I already mentioned, I'm a bit on the fence about him, but tend to lean slightly to the idea that Jesus didn't really exist. However, someone or other obviously started the cult, so if it wasn't Jesus, then it was someone else, right? Does the name really matter? As for the crucifixion - who knows? The Romans actually didn't keep very good records of that stuff a lot of the time, so the fact that nobody can find an account of them crucifying some crazy Jew who was trying to start a cult wouldn't be that surprising. People were crucified for being a perceived threat to the state all the time back then, and just mixed in with all the other criminals who got executed - no biggie as far as the Romans were concerned. I suppose so-called martyrdom does seem like a logical jumping off place for his followers who proceeded to develop Christianity in the region, so I don't find that part totally unbelievable, even with the lack of hard evidence. Also, sorry if I wasn't clear, but whoever this person we call Jesus was, I am not suggesting that all of the bullshit applied to him is real. Only that a male human being, possibly named Jesus but possibly not, existed around the time when Christianity was born, and that he went around preaching stuff as cult leaders do, and his cult followers went around spreading the word. The existence of his apostles is really the important part of the story anyway, IMO. They're the ones who actually got the ball rolling as far as Christianity goes. Real people really did go around preaching "the word" until someone figured out that they could use this story as a means of control.

• Options
    brianlux said:

The very first one ever written?

Lol. Go get some chocolate milk, lady.
    Yes, first hand printing I suppose, LOL. 

Oh, and did I happen to mention she pronounced it Baaable? (No prejudice here but it does make the story funnier when my wife tells it.)

• Options
    Good question.  The problem is, scholars have been arguing over this for a long time and and there still seems to be loads of controversy.  Part of the problem is deciding whether to accept each part of the Bible until proven false or to reject each part until proven true and both sides use which ever argument fits their wishes. It's an intellectual deadlock/stalemate!

• Options
    Waste of time thinking about your last thought or the book you wrote last year. 

Our spirit is full of love and unfortunately hate as well. I not trying to be any leader or anything I'm just trying to love the ones who hate me. The furthest soul from mine is the one i aim to bring towards a relationship with prayer or meditation. 

And to be love definitively. Love you all. 
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2017
    brianlux said:
    Good question.  The problem is, scholars have been arguing over this for a long time and and there still seems to be loads of controversy.  Part of the problem is deciding whether to accept each part of the Bible until proven false or to reject each part until proven true and both sides use which ever argument fits their wishes. It's an intellectual deadlock/stalemate!
    Contrary to popular belief I am no intellectual. It's not really a stalemate more of a what to do about that pawn that just might put you in checkmate. It is a valid question.  There are about what, 4000 give or take bibles preaching their own god.  So what reality is it based upon?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Most of the parts of the Bible that are historically accurate are the ones that detail the atrocities of war as the Israelites committed genocide across the lands.
    Jesus's name, if he existed, would have been Yeshua, I believe.
    So why Jesus? 

Why does God have 2 names?  Yahweh and Yehovah, shouldn't it be just the one?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    Most of the parts of the Bible that are historically accurate are the ones that detail the atrocities of war as the Israelites committed genocide across the lands.
    So why Jesus? 

Like most people, God also has a username.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:
    So why Jesus? 

And some believe that the god you reference that has 2 names is also 3 different beings. God is Jesus' (Yahweh's/Yehovah's) father (who I think is also called Elohim). God is Jesus, who is his own son, apparently. And then there's the Holy Ghost, but I'm not sure if he's related to the other 2-in-1, and I don't believe his name is Casper. It's all very confusing.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    lt is taught if you don't believe in the Trinity you're not a Christian. 

I process the Trinity as just more explanation or examples of how infinite and complex God is.

We've mentioned here about how we humans have zero imagination or what have you than God. For example - maybe there are colors we've never seen before in Heaven?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    FoxyRedLa said:
    lt is taught if you don't believe in the Trinity you're not a Christian. 

I process the Trinity as just more explanation or examples of how infinite and complex God is.

We've mentioned here about how we humans have zero imagination or what have you than God. For example - maybe there are colors we've never seen before in Heaven?
    There are colors we haven't seen before here on earth.  This is because the way our eyes react to the light spectrum given off, opponent neurons in the retina cancel each other out leaving us only to see part of the spectrum.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited August 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:

The Trinity isn't that complicated.
    The Father, The Son (Jesus) & The Holy Spirit.  Yes they are all one and the same. It's like ice, steam, and water.  It's all H2O just in different formes.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYME said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

The Father, The Son (Jesus) & The Holy Spirit.  Yes they are all one and the same. It's like ice, steam, and water.  It's all H2O just in different formes.
    Christian's are not taught God is three forms or parts. 
  • Options
    RYME said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

actually, it is complicated. or rather, nonsensical. if they are all one, why do they each talk to each other as if they were separate? and if god is jesus and jesus is god, how does jesus' existence shield god from the sins of man, if the shield IS god?

why did god have to have a son when he previously just spoke directly to humans, like he did with moses and noah? all of a sudden he's too busy so he gets a subordinate to represent him? I would think a voice from the clouds would be more convincing than just some everyday dude in a robe and sandals preaching this new fan-dangled doctrine that pissed off the locals. 

and then he "sacrificed his only begotten son"? if he's him, he's not his son, he's him. and he didn't sacrifice anything if Jesus is in heaven with him. 

it's really a ludicrous premise in my mind. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Except that doesn't make a bit of sense.

God sent Himself to die (temporarily) for Himself so that He could save all of mankind from the torment He is planning to inflict on them.
    Then He asks Himself to spare Himself and says that He has forsaken Himself, and then He rises from the dead to return to Himself a few days later.
    Makes no sense.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    RYME said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

actually, it is complicated. or rather, nonsensical. if they are all one, why do they each talk to each other as if they were separate? and if god is jesus and jesus is god, how does jesus' existence shield god from the sins of man, if the shield IS god?

why did god have to have a son when he previously just spoke directly to humans, like he did with moses and noah? all of a sudden he's too busy so he gets a subordinate to represent him? I would think a voice from the clouds would be more convincing than just some everyday dude in a robe and sandals preaching this new fan-dangled doctrine that pissed off the locals. 

and then he "sacrificed his only begotten son"? if he's him, he's not his son, he's him. and he didn't sacrifice anything if Jesus is in heaven with him. 

it's really a ludicrous premise in my mind. 
    Now that I agree with.... I always figured they used the whole Jesus, son of God premise because it was the only thing they could think of that would completely and clearly separate them from Judaism even though they kept the same God and could still use their religious history.
  • Options
    I don't believe it
    It believes in me
    Like a bird flying
    Is the second arising
    In soul I'm lifted
    Departing confines
    Entwined with love

This is a reason to live
    A precious second of
    The spirit in me and you