NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    What ya think? Cheap or not?  I think it is. I don't know what the difference it is between where they went and a Club. Either way he spent $487.13 and was served, so he SHOULD be Tipping accordingly. 

Look: Andre Roberson called out by waiter for leaving bad tip

https://www.thescore.com/general/news/1330141

A waiter who served Andre Roberson on Wednesday night called out the Oklahoma City Thunder forward on Twitter for leaving a bad tip.

According to TMZ Sports, Roberson and 12 of his friends hit up Chupacabra Cantina in Austin, Texas, for drinks after he signed a new three-year, $30-million deal with the Thunder, racking up a $487.13 tab and leaving a $13.97 tip. Suffice to say, the waiter wasn't happy.

Roberson responded to the tweet, claiming the waiter didn't deserve a tip because "there was no service."

Here' who will probably be the #1 Pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.  HOPE Sac Kings get it>HAHA

Here is the write up and a good angle :
    http://www.maxpreps.com/news/hgrh9WEzuUyzGAuxQAXoUw/video--watch-no-1-recruit-marvin-bagley-battle-nba-star-demar-derozan.htm

And here is another angle :
    https://youtu.be/3UebzKLeH24

Good idea or not???

Is it time for a different way to end basketball games?

Jun 29, 2017
    • Joe LunardiSenior Writer, ESPN.com

It seemed like a gimmick at first. Eliminate the clock at the end of a basketball game and you eliminate the best part of basketball: the buzzer-beater. Who would consider such a thing?

TBT, that's who. TBT isn't Throwback Thursday, but the fourth edition of the summer-long The Basketball Tournament. Prompted by a deep hoops thinker named Nick Elam, TBT ditched the game clock for the last four minutes of its Jamboree round (15 teams playing for the last four spots in the field of 64). The idea isn't to eliminate buzzer-beaters, but every other unsightly element of late-game basketball.

We all know the drill. Fouling, frequent stoppages, commercials, desperation shots, more fouling, endless substitutions, equally endless trips to the foul line, more fouling, timeouts in between foul shots, more commercials, more and more fouling. Did we mention the fouling?

Instead of finishing the contest with a traditional game clock, officials establish a target score and the team that reaches it first wins. Joe Lunardi/ESPN

Elam has studied the issue for over a decade, charting over 2,200 NBA and NCAA games. The data speaks for itself. Late-game fouling almost never works. The trailing team runs out of time the same way spectators run out of patience. But the teams foul anyway, because they have to, as it's the only strategy available.

On the playground, we'd never do this. "Play to 15, win by two" is common. Variations on predetermining the winning score are even more common. "Play by 2s, play by 1s or make-it-take-it" are other keep-the-game-moving strategies.

At the TBT Jamboree, the game clock was turned off after the under four-minute stoppage of the second half. A "winning score" was determined by adding seven points to the leading team's total. Play on until somebody wins.

Calling the games on ESPN3, I couldn't help but smile. With minor exceptions, the players intuitively kept playing as they had their whole lives. No stall ball, generally unrushed offense and -- best of all -- a far greater chance for the trailing team to mount a comeback.

Instead of stopping the clock, getting stops was the priority. In consecutive contests, despite a seven-point deficit when the untimed portion of the game -- dubbed the "Elam ending" -- began, the trailing team came back to tie or take the lead, winning once and losing another on a walk-off breakaway dunk.

There are no buzzer-beaters in the strictest sense of the term (as there are no buzzers to beat). The better analogy would be that every contest is the equivalent of an extra-inning baseball game won by the home team. The game always ends with a walk-off score of some kind, be it a basket or a free throw (regarding the latter, defensive teams learn quickly not to foul if they are a single possession away from defeat).

In several instances, when both teams were within a single possession of the target score, a version of sudden-death basketball was created. The intensity on both offense and defense belied the casual nature of summer basketball. It's not hard to imagine the overwhelming intensity participants and spectators would experience in an elimination setting (think overtime in Game 7 of an NHL playoff series).

Yes, buzzer-beaters would fade into YouTube memories. According to Elam's study, however, they occurred only 21 times in the 2,200-game sample (and only six of those were buzzer-beaters in which the lead changed). Are we willing to trade that for every game ending with the ball going through the basket? Isn't more genuine "basket ball" better than less?

It's worth a closer look. The designated hitter was a gimmick once, too.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    cutz said:
    Good idea or not???

Is it time for a different way to end basketball games?

Jun 29, 2017
    • Joe LunardiSenior Writer, ESPN.com

It seemed like a gimmick at first. Eliminate the clock at the end of a basketball game and you eliminate the best part of basketball: the buzzer-beater. Who would consider such a thing?

TBT, that's who. TBT isn't Throwback Thursday, but the fourth edition of the summer-long The Basketball Tournament. Prompted by a deep hoops thinker named Nick Elam, TBT ditched the game clock for the last four minutes of its Jamboree round (15 teams playing for the last four spots in the field of 64). The idea isn't to eliminate buzzer-beaters, but every other unsightly element of late-game basketball.

We all know the drill. Fouling, frequent stoppages, commercials, desperation shots, more fouling, endless substitutions, equally endless trips to the foul line, more fouling, timeouts in between foul shots, more commercials, more and more fouling. Did we mention the fouling?

Instead of finishing the contest with a traditional game clock, officials establish a target score and the team that reaches it first wins. Joe Lunardi/ESPN

Elam has studied the issue for over a decade, charting over 2,200 NBA and NCAA games. The data speaks for itself. Late-game fouling almost never works. The trailing team runs out of time the same way spectators run out of patience. But the teams foul anyway, because they have to, as it's the only strategy available.

On the playground, we'd never do this. "Play to 15, win by two" is common. Variations on predetermining the winning score are even more common. "Play by 2s, play by 1s or make-it-take-it" are other keep-the-game-moving strategies.

At the TBT Jamboree, the game clock was turned off after the under four-minute stoppage of the second half. A "winning score" was determined by adding seven points to the leading team's total. Play on until somebody wins.

Calling the games on ESPN3, I couldn't help but smile. With minor exceptions, the players intuitively kept playing as they had their whole lives. No stall ball, generally unrushed offense and -- best of all -- a far greater chance for the trailing team to mount a comeback.

Instead of stopping the clock, getting stops was the priority. In consecutive contests, despite a seven-point deficit when the untimed portion of the game -- dubbed the "Elam ending" -- began, the trailing team came back to tie or take the lead, winning once and losing another on a walk-off breakaway dunk.

There are no buzzer-beaters in the strictest sense of the term (as there are no buzzers to beat). The better analogy would be that every contest is the equivalent of an extra-inning baseball game won by the home team. The game always ends with a walk-off score of some kind, be it a basket or a free throw (regarding the latter, defensive teams learn quickly not to foul if they are a single possession away from defeat).

In several instances, when both teams were within a single possession of the target score, a version of sudden-death basketball was created. The intensity on both offense and defense belied the casual nature of summer basketball. It's not hard to imagine the overwhelming intensity participants and spectators would experience in an elimination setting (think overtime in Game 7 of an NHL playoff series).

Yes, buzzer-beaters would fade into YouTube memories. According to Elam's study, however, they occurred only 21 times in the 2,200-game sample (and only six of those were buzzer-beaters in which the lead changed). Are we willing to trade that for every game ending with the ball going through the basket? Isn't more genuine "basket ball" better than less?

It's worth a closer look. The designated hitter was a gimmick once, too.

Fascinating idea
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    cutz said:
    What ya think? Cheap or not?  I think it is. I don't know what the difference it is between where they went and a Club. Either way he spent $487.13 and was served, so he SHOULD be Tipping accordingly. 

A waiter who served Andre Roberson on Wednesday night called out the Oklahoma City Thunder forward on Twitter for leaving a bad tip.

According to TMZ Sports, Roberson and 12 of his friends hit up Chupacabra Cantina in Austin, Texas, for drinks after he signed a new three-year, $30-million deal with the Thunder, racking up a $487.13 tab and leaving a $13.97 tip. Suffice to say, the waiter wasn't happy.

Roberson responded to the tweet, claiming the waiter didn't deserve a tip because "there was no service."

Absolutely cheap.  Tip your friggin bartenders! They depend on it.

Not only that, he can't add.  $487.13 + 13.97 = $501.10
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    cutz said:

Absolutely cheap.  Tip your friggin bartenders! They depend on it.

Not only that, he can't add.  $487.13 + 13.97 = $501.10
    Apparently he didn't take any mathematics courses during his time at the University of Colorado.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Hope Danny Ainge knows what his doing..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    With all this trade talk about the mess that is called the Knicks and Anthony this place is awfully quiet!
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    With all this trade talk about the mess that is called the Knicks and Anthony this place is awfully quiet!
    I think everyone is expecting a funeral for the Knicks. Daryl Morey is about to prison rape Steve Mills and the Knicks. Somehow I see the knicks getting back older players with more years left on their deals than Melo. Mills involved in a possible 4 way trade will not work out for the Knicks. I would be willing to bet Mills doesn't even know who they get back until he reads it in the paper the next morning. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Jazz just signed Ekpe Udoh! :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    If this happens ther will be a new #1 in NBA Mock Drafts for next year. This kid "MAY" be a generational player.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/marvin-bagley-iii-mulls-reclassifying-playing-in-college-this-year-duke-usc-zona-in-play/

Marvin Bagley III mulls reclassifying, playing in college this year; Duke, USC, Zona in play

Bagley has long been 2018's No. 1 prospect; if he plays this season, it would be huge

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- Marvin Bagley III, the top-rated prospect in the Class of 2018, is exploring the possibility of reclassifying and enrolling in time to play college basketball this season, a source confirmed to CBS Sports on Friday.

A source insisted no decision has been finalized. But it does appear to be academically possible, the source said.

"You should probably ask CBS Sports; it seems like they know more than I know," Bagley's father, Marvin Bagley Jr., said to FanRagSports.com late Friday when asked if reclassifying s a possibility. "That's my answer -- ask CBS Sports."

Bagley told reporters here at the Nike Peach Jam on Thursday that he plans to officially visit Duke next week -- then Arizona and USC in some order. If the 6-foot-10 forward were able to graduate from high school in time, get cleared academically and play in college this season, he would change the landscape of the sport drastically in the sense that Duke, Arizona and even USC could have a reasonable claim to the preseason No. 1 ranking by adding Bagley. Additionally, Bagley would immediately move to the top of most 2018 NBA mock drafts -- ahead of Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton and everybody else.

Jerry Meyer of 247 Sports wrote earlier Friday that it's possible Bagley will reclassify while adding that his recruitment "has the feel of a Duke and USC showdown." The Arizona native who attends high school in California drew the biggest crowds at Peach Jam this week while dunking relentlessly, making jumpers and further establishing himself as the world's best high school prospect. He had 30 points and 16 rebounds in a win Friday night but was not made available to the media afterward.

Can we start a new thread now please.  It's not 2015 anymore...
    ^ Or just update the title... :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Pap said:
    ^ Or just update the title... :wink:
    Is the X man on here anymore?
    @xavier mcdaniel
    ^ It seems that he was here 3 days ago.
    Kyrie traded for Thomas!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Kyrie traded for Thomas!!!

I know cleveland got some parts, but I see them going back to medoicrity after this year.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    or maybe this year :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    It's not a bad trade.  Plus they have Rose so loaded at PG... 
    Cleveland got Crowder and Brooklyns unprotected 1. If Thomas signs a non max deal then I think Cleveland won. If Thomas still insists on a max then horrible trade. 
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Cleveland got Crowder and Brooklyns unprotected 1. If Thomas signs a non max deal then I think Cleveland won. If Thomas still insists on a max then horrible trade. 

going from lebron and kyrie to crowder and thomas is not a win.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    Wobbie said:

But it's not a lose either, and that was the objective.  It had to get done before the year started.  Kyrie was such a prick that he didn't talk to ANYONE during long stretches of the playoffs.  He had to be moved.  Plus an unprotected #1 is pretty good. 

One bright side is that IT has never had a good player mentor really.  Now he'll play with Lebron.  He can only get better, so long as his hip is okay. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

But it's not a lose either, and that was the objective.  It had to get done before the year started.  Kyrie was such a prick that he didn't talk to ANYONE during long stretches of the playoffs.  He had to be moved.  Plus an unprotected #1 is pretty good. 

One bright side is that IT has never had a good player mentor really.  Now he'll play with Lebron.  He can only get better, so long as his hip is okay. 

I hear ya. We'll have to see. I wonder what the vegas odds will be for easyern conference champ (I'm not sure you can make that bet but I'd bet you can)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Congrats Mr. Ainge!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Wobbie said:

Lebron possible leaving is a separate thing. They had to dump Kyrie and seeing as everyone knew that I thought Cleveland did well. Yes, if Lebron leaves they will no longer be a title contending team, but this secures this year and they got back 2 nice building pieces should Lebron bail again.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Wobbie said:

I hear ya. We'll have to see. I wonder what the vegas odds will be for easyern conference champ (I'm not sure you can make that bet but I'd bet you can)
    No change after the trade.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Most likely next year's #1 pick (Nets) was traded to Cleveland as well.  Could be two years in a row that Ainge trades the #1 pick.  

In a situation where Cleveland had little leverage, I think they got a pretty good haul.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Jason P said:
    Most likely next year's #1 pick (Nets) was traded to Cleveland as well.  Could be two years in a row that Ainge trades the #1 pick.  

In a situation where Cleveland had little leverage, I think they got a pretty good haul.  
    http://deadspin.com/the-cavs-hit-a-home-run-1798342116

That's a good addition:

Pap said:
    That's a good addition:

He's okay. I don't think he turned out to be the really good player, everyone thought he would be when he was 18-20 years-old.