Song demo, thoughts?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    And...

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    The second one sounds like a demo outtake from Bleach.

The timing is a little off but both of those songs could be made into good recordings, IMO.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    Only one person has bothered. I guess I suck or noone cares. Or both.
    Don't get discouraged man. Just try to keep in mind why you started playing in the first place.
    dudeman said:
    Don't get discouraged man. Just try to keep in mind why you started playing in the first place.
    :-)
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Actually that's alright :)
    i_lov_it said:
    Shucks. Thank you :-)

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    i_lov_it said:
    Shucks. Thank you :-)

You're welcome man...keep the good work up :)
  • I'm really catching a Pixies vibe on the first one. Would I be far off or offending you if that was what came to my head? I really like it. 
    I don't want to highjack your thread, but it'd be dumb to start a new thread saying the exact same thing. Basically I have my second album all written, but wasn't at a place to fund a proper release. So I started a project called New Adventures in Lo-Fi where I was going to do record these new songs as fast I could but only on my phone. One or two takes of each instrument and vocals. I wasn't sure I had a long time left in having the ability to play guitar, so having the songs documented was the idea. Not for them to be perfect but a look at these songs in the very, very early stage of being a complete song but not a finished and polished version. Sadly, I only finished 2. But here is one that I love. I hear a studio version in my head and it's such a big chorus, and the song moves and conveys the internal conversation taking place. Here's a link. There are other songs on there from many years ago in demo form but only the top 2 are from very recently. 

https://soundcloud.com/brianzilmmusic/just-another-day

I'm really catching a Pixies vibe on the first one. Would I be far off or offending you if that was what came to my head? I really like it. 
    I don't want to highjack your thread, but it'd be dumb to start a new thread saying the exact same thing. Basically I have my second album all written, but wasn't at a place to fund a proper release. So I started a project called New Adventures in Lo-Fi where I was going to do record these new songs as fast I could but only on my phone. One or two takes of each instrument and vocals. I wasn't sure I had a long time left in having the ability to play guitar, so having the songs documented was the idea. Not for them to be perfect but a look at these songs in the very, very early stage of being a complete song but not a finished and polished version. Sadly, I only finished 2. But here is one that I love. I hear a studio version in my head and it's such a big chorus, and the song moves and conveys the internal conversation taking place. Here's a link. There are other songs on there from many years ago in demo form but only the top 2 are from very recently. 

Dude, your song is amazing.
    I love it. Seriously.
    I liked that chord change thing three quarters of the way through.
    Plus I think your voice sounds way better than mine and you can actually sing.
    May I ask what you mean by not being sure how much time you have in having the ability to play the guitar?

Thank you for checking out my song.
    I actually like that I got a Pixies vibe. Sick of being told about the Kurt vibe.
    I think I might have been trying to do a Pixies song with that one, recorded it ages ago. Or it may have been The Beatles.
    To be honest, I upped the pitch on my voice in that song on a music program in order to make it sound more poppy.
    If John Lennon did that, why can't I?

• I'm really catching a Pixies vibe on the first one. Would I be far off or offending you if that was what came to my head? I really like it. 

I love it. Seriously.
    May I ask what you mean by not being sure how much time you have in having the ability to play the guitar?

I actually like that I got a Pixies vibe. Sick of being told about the Kurt vibe.
    I think I might have been trying to do a Pixies song with that one, recorded it ages ago. Or it may have been The Beatles.
    To be honest, I upped the pitch on my voice in that song on a music program in order to make it sound more poppy.

There's a Beatles song that comes to mind on yours. I'm not sure which one it is though. So if something has hints of Pixies and Beatles, one can easily see how people would get a Kurt sound in their head. And that's a pretty good problem to have. 
    Thanks for the feedback on my tune. I'm really liking it as well. As to why I can't play anymore- it's looking like I have MS or even a similar one that I don't name. I take the Beetlejuice approach, it can't happen to me in real life as long as I don't name it. But basically my nerves and muscles are fucked up. It started with a tremor, then cognitive problems, nerves in the back, nerves and muscles in the legs, and about two months ago I started getting cold spots on my left arm. Then it moved down into the top of my hand. Then my thumb. Now the next two fingers. I usually get 2-3 minutes of playing before they're asleep and trying to change chords becomes very difficult. So, I'm hoping that it can be reversed. And if it can't be reversed, I hope they can diagnose me quickly, begin treatment, and maybe stop it from advancing. So I need to find some new options for guitar. I'm a chord pounder on piano aka...nothing fancy. But my fingers don't go heavy that way. 
    I'm really catching a Pixies vibe on the first one. Would I be far off or offending you if that was what came to my head? I really like it. 

I love it. Seriously.

There's a Beatles song that comes to mind on yours. I'm not sure which one it is though. So if something has hints of Pixies and Beatles, one can easily see how people would get a Kurt sound in their head. And that's a pretty good problem to have. 
    Thanks for the feedback on my tune. I'm really liking it as well. As to why I can't play anymore- it's looking like I have MS or even a similar one that I don't name. I take the Beetlejuice approach, it can't happen to me in real life as long as I don't name it. But basically my nerves and muscles are fucked up. It started with a tremor, then cognitive problems, nerves in the back, nerves and muscles in the legs, and about two months ago I started getting cold spots on my left arm. Then it moved down into the top of my hand. Then my thumb. Now the next two fingers. I usually get 2-3 minutes of playing before they're asleep and trying to change chords becomes very difficult. So, I'm hoping that it can be reversed. And if it can't be reversed, I hope they can diagnose me quickly, begin treatment, and maybe stop it from advancing. So I need to find some new options for guitar. I'm a chord pounder on piano aka...nothing fancy. But my fingers don't go heavy that way. 
    Sorry to hear dude :-(
    I hope treatment works out for you.
    Thank you for your feedback. I guess Kurt tried to rip off the Pixies so it should be of no surprise to me with the comparison.
  • Yeah man. It's never a bad thing to be influenced by Pixies, Beatles, or Nirvana. You're absolutely on the right track. 

Great song. Well done! 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Green apples are better than red.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Really enjoying all of your songs Thoughts Arrive and ledvedderman, hope you’re both doing well.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Suck Blue, Demos
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Yeah man. It's never a bad thing to be influenced by Pixies, Beatles, or Nirvana. You're absolutely on the right track. 
    Really enjoying all of your songs Thoughts Arrive and ledvedderman, hope you’re both doing well.
    thank you :)
    Green apples are better than red.
    Don't understand?
  • Green apples are better than red.
    Don't understand?
    Believe me, that's where you want to be. 
    Out of curiosity, are you using recording software?  If so, which do you prefer? 
    dudeman said:
    Out of curiosity, are you using recording software?  If so, which do you prefer? 
    Hi, I use the voice recorder on my phone.
    Sometimes I do a live demo, at other times I do guitar and vocal takes using my phone again but then I use Audacity to make a demo.