8/20 - One year ago today...

bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
The first of two unforgettable shows at Wrigley.  What a memorable weekend it was.  Can't wait to see what 2018 has in store for us! 

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Such an awesome night!  Was able to hang out in the monsoon with friends and my very understanding husband at my side.  (After over 4 hours in the merch line in pouring down rain, my love told me, "You people are fucking crazy.")  But . . . the rain stopped, the sun went down and he understood.  He understood all of it.  

Another big thank you to @lolobugg and @SD48277 for field tickets.  Couldn't have done it without the help of the two of you!  :hug:  @derbydave hit the merch line with @jlaustin to get setlist shirts for us and a poster for me.  

Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    There's my beautiful girl with that smile!

Love that it was such a wild and beautiful experience for you and so many others.

(and go, M! - one of many reasons he rocks)

........hitting "post" while :) 'ing..........
  • It was such a great night! Also a great day hanging round Wrigleyville. 
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    ^ The atmosphere in the neighborhood was incredible all weekend.  You could feel the buzz in the air. Hearing PJ pumping through the speakers of every bar in the neighborhood was awesome! 
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    That was a great weekend, but my daughter still tells me that Weird Al is better! :)

i almost didn't make it, as my first United flight was canceled, and later that day, so was my rescheduled (and final) United flight of the day. This was the Friday right before, 8/19. Luckily, Delta had my back and made it to Chicago MUCH later than planned, but still made it! 

My old lady and I were talking the other day about where we would travel to to see them. Wrigley would work again, as would Red Rocks. I normally don't travel too far for them, but we still haven't taken our honeymoon. We've been too busy with the new house. She booked a cruise, which doesn't appeal to me in the least, and I suggested mountain climbing, which she did not like the idea of. But we both agreed on traveling for PJ! Great girl!

And if they want to release a mashup concert film, then that's up to them. But please, release the dang bootlegs at the very least! ;)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    For the people that were in Wrigley in 2013 and 2016 which was better?

Since I went to the 13 show I passed on the 16 and went to Fenway instead.
  • Easy for me...
    2013 sucked.
    2016 was awesome.
    The rain delay was shit and Eddie bringing out Billy and playing "all the way" directly after was the nail in the coffin.  Good on him for doing it, but it was the absolute worst buzz kill.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,996
    Easy there, 2013 did not suck. But yeah, 2016 was better for sure.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited August 2017
    deadendp said:

Such an awesome night!  Was able to hang out in the monsoon with friends and my very understanding husband at my side.  (After over 4 hours in the merch line in pouring down rain, my love told me, "You people are fucking crazy.")  But . . . the rain stopped, the sun went down and he understood.  He understood all of it.  

Another big thank you to @lolobugg and @SD48277 for field tickets.  Couldn't have done it without the help of the two of you!  :hug:  @derbydave hit the merch line with @jlaustin to get setlist shirts for us and a poster for me.  

Awesome pics!!!

So glad we got to hang out with you and M in Chicago.

let's do it again sooner than later.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,498
    19 years ago 08/20 was Montreal. 

Where does the time fly. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • ha ha u r OLD pacer !
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    edited August 2017
    It was a weekend of magic and it literally changed the course of my life. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Trippy as all fuck that there is an eclipse to mark the one year anniversary.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,490
    So. Much. Fun.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    lolobugg said:
    deadendp said:

Awesome pics!!!

So glad we got to hang out with you and M in Chicago.

let's do it again sooner than later.

We did have a great time!  Next time, cheapo 99 cent ponchos for all!  :lol:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • aghaniaghani Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Easy for me...
    2013 sucked.
    2016 was awesome.
    The rain delay was shit and Eddie bringing out Billy and playing "all the way" directly after was the nail in the coffin.  Good on him for doing it, but it was the absolute worst buzz kill.
    No flippin way.  This is like first world problems and totally missing the point.  2013 was extremely special.  Totally once in a lifetime experience.  No other experience will you be able to say you were at Wrigley until 2am.  2am and not.one.single.seat.empty.  No other fanbase can compete with that.  I feel sorry for anyone that just looks at it like it was a downer cause of show 'momentum' or setlist or stuff like that.  That show was an experience unto it's own. Unforgettable.

Now, that said, each of the 2 2016 shows were unique in their own right.  Night 1 felt like a very current, cultural event.  The songs addressed the times, and the audience interactions were built on something very of the moment.  Night 2 was for all intents and purposes PJ25.  It was a celebration of 25 years of being a band and being fans.  Total trip down memory lane and cathartic to be there for.  I wouldn't trade any of these shows for the world.
    Post edited by aghani on