For What It's Worth

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
The lyrics have been relevant for so long, I could see a good argument for making it our National Anthem.

"For What It's Worth"

There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop
Children, what's that sound?
Everybody look - what's going down?

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking' their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?

What a field day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly saying, "hooray for our side"

It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away

We better stop
Hey, what's that sound?

We better stop
Hey, what's that sound?

We better stop
Now, what's that sound?

We better stop
Children, what's that sound?

Words and music by Stephen Stills, performed by Buffalo Springfield

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Timeless.

I've always loved the "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" line, it applies to so many of the problems with the world these days. (I think it's still my response to the 'political views' part of my FB profile :) )
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Wow...perfect description of the confusing shit show being shown daily across this nation. Unfortunately I think the hopeful innocence of creating positive change from that era is gone and people are angrier, even more scared and frustrated than ever which leads to more violence and polarization from people.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:
    Timeless.

I've always loved the "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" line, it applies to so many of the problems with the world these days. (I think it's still my response to the 'political views' part of my FB profile :) )
    That's the "go to" line for me in this song as well, goldrush.

camsjam said:
    Wow...perfect description of the confusing shit show being shown daily across this nation. Unfortunately I think the hopeful innocence of creating positive change from that era is gone and people are angrier, even more scared and frustrated than ever which leads to more violence and polarization from people.
    I asked my wife today, "Is it just because I'm getting older or is our society really angrier and more tense that it was when we were younger?"  She said, "Oh, you're just getting to be an old man."  I love my wife and didn't want to argue the point but I've noticed younger friends and younger people I connect with seem to think along the same lines I do about this.  I really wish I could say my wife is right.  She's the eternal optimist.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    I still try to believe most people are good at heart but I sense a new  level of disconnect in not just young people but in all ages. Youth has always been self important and selfish as a rule...alot of it is just immaturity. Yet it seems people feel resigned to accept this new lack of civility and sense of community as a new norm. And the stress and uncertainty so many people are trying to handle is taking a toll on empathy and understanding.  It's easier to be angry than to take the time and energy to think about what is really wrong and what steps to take to improve our lives.  Damn...I am getting to be an old lady!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    camsjam said:
    I still try to believe most people are good at heart but I sense a new  level of disconnect in not just young people but in all ages. Youth has always been self important and selfish as a rule...alot of it is just immaturity. Yet it seems people feel resigned to accept this new lack of civility and sense of community as a new norm. And the stress and uncertainty so many people are trying to handle is taking a toll on empathy and understanding.  It's easier to be angry than to take the time and energy to think about what is really wrong and what steps to take to improve our lives.  Damn...I am getting to be an old lady!
    Not old, just more wise.  :wink:

You made a good point about stress.  I had a ridiculously busy stressful day yesterday and then last night I had this dream that I was in line at a hardware store waiting to make a purchase and this guy cut in front of me and I got pissed off and said something to him he turned on me like he was going to beat the crap out of me.  I woke up thinking how much easier and less stressful it would have been in my dream if I had just let him go ahead and not say anything.  Waiting for one guy to make his purchase wouldn't amount to jack in the long run.  It was a good reminder to not let the little stupid things become  issues.