Options

A Call To All Chris Cornell Fan's To Help Raise Money For Suicide Prevention In His Name

ottonypottonyp Posts: 226
Hello,
  My name is Anthony Piscitella. I have been a part of Pearl Jam's fan club for as long as I can remember (my number is 1xx,xxx), and that's not even my original number! I am 48 years old. I live in Troy, N.Y., with my wife and 17 year-old daughter. I am a disabled Occupational Therapist, whom helped to establish The Eddy Health System back in the 1990's. I have had 8 low back surgeries(including two spinal fusions) and had to stop working all together in 2005. I have been a going to a pain management clinic for over 20 years now. This past Tuesday I recieved 2 epidural injections to my low back ,and this coming Tuesday it will be repeated again. If all goes well, it will calm my chronic pain for 4 months or more. I can't even begin to tabulate all the hours I have been on bed rest due to my condition. It hasn't been easy to transition to a spectator for EVERYTHING! It has been a tough life, but I ALWAYS manage to persaveer. The physical aspect isn't even the biggest hurdle...it's EASILY the mental aspect (depression). As Americans, we put TONS of value on our occupation (one of the first things we ask each other upon first meeting), and with loss of occupation comes low self esteem and loss of self worth. I constantly try to volunteer for things I can physically handle. For the past four years I have volunteered at my daughter's high school (Catholic Central), and before that I read to residents at an area Assisted Living facility. It seems when I am able to keep busy with something, I don't have time to focus on my deficits. 
  The one thing in life that has helped me through all of this is MUSIC!!! I despise television (other than watching football). I can be in so much pain I want to cry, yet if I lay down and listen to some music it relaxes me and takes my mind off my condition. My two favorite artists are Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam and Chris Cornell/Soundgarden. Whenever either band would play within a 4 hour radius, regardless of my physical condition...I get there. One time my best friend nearly had to carry me in and out of the venue I was in such bad shape. I will never forget the morning my wife woke me up to tell me Chris Cornell had committed suicide. I have to honestly say, I can totally relate to how he was feeling. My physical condition OFTEN drags my mental condition down to the point where suicide crosses my mind. Right away I started thinking about my close friend that had committed suicide several years ago, and I realized I needed to do something.
  I have arranged a fundraiser for Suicide Prevention/Tribute to Chris Cornell which is going to be held at a venue near my home. I will include the link below, for those who live in commuting distance and might like to attend and/or further info. What I am asking of you, my fellow 10 club members is to donate some item(s) which can be used in the raffle and the auction which will be held that day. It doesn't have to be musically related (however posters/music/music related clothing are all cool items). Items can be hand made crafts, gift certificates, pretty much you name it! Every dollar raised goes directly to my local chapter of Suicide Prevention/Awarenes, in a check in CHRIS CORNELL'S NAME. EVERYONE KNOWS SOMEONE AFFECTED BY SUICIDE!!!  I WANT TO MAKE THIS AN ULTRA SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER, AND I CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT!!! Please consider being a part of this special event and donating items which will increase the overall amount of money made on the day of the event! You can express your interest to me via my email address: ottonyp@aol.com , and I can provide you my mailing address. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE EVENT: 
https://www.facebook.com/events/189891244880638/?acontext={"ref":"2","ref_dashboard_filter":"upcoming","action_history":"[{\"surface\":\"dashboard\",\"mechanism\":\"main_list\",\"extra_data\":[]}]"}

Comments

• Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    I have a few cool Nfl helmets.  Btw I depise TV as well except football and hockey. 
  • Options
    Come on fellow 10c fans...please consider donating an item or two to the raffle/auction. The more items I have, the bigger the check for Suicide Prevention. I am writing the bank check in Chris's name too! 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Bump!

May your efforts be successful - both with the event and getting through how tough pain (any kind) can hit us, and those we love.

I wish you well.
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    edited August 2017
    I don't have Facebook. Nor will I ever. Is there another link to the event? I'd like to help. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately right now there isn't...Soon I may have a link up on an area radio station!!
  • Options
    Extra 10c Vinyl singles, extra posters, extra PJ clothing...All make awesome items to donate to the raffle/auction!!!
  • Options
    Still seeking donations to be used in the raffle/auction!!! Please help fellow 10c members!!!

• Options
    Less than 30 days till my event...Please consider sending a donation to me for the raffle/auction!!