Options

Solar Eclipse

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Could one just use the front-facing camera on one's phone to view the eclipse?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    We should be getting 92% coverage here apparently. I'll be at work I think - if I remember to grab some eclipse glasses at the drug store I'll go up on the roof and check it out. There was a total eclipse of the sun when I was a little kid back in the early 80s and I didn't see shit using the crappy shadow viewer things that my teacher had us make. Total eclipse fail, lol.
    Ha ha! That's exactly my memory too. Science class fail. 
    Third on this train!

I'm just looking forward to that weird, surreal-ish view.  A rarity, especially here (and we have many weird, surreal-ish people =) )
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    camsjam said:
    camsjam said:
    Less than a week away!!!  Going on a wing n prayer driving south from Raleigh to Sumter sc late Sunday night and napping in the car once we pick a likely viewing spot. Hoping for a clear cloud fee view!  Looking forward to seeing an awesome beautiful natural occurance to remind me that there is still so much beauty in the world in spite of the ugliness humans create.
    Midlands of SC are going to be crazy. We're expecting over 1 million people coming to Columbia. I'm honestly not sure if the city can support this massive influx of people all at one time. I'm taking the day off just in case it's too crazy.
    You're smart. Columbia should be crazy. I'd love to get to the river walk there but I am going for a small-scale city hoping it might be easier. Have you been getting a lot of cloud cover down there? Our sky was completely overcast up here.
    I was outside pretty much all day today. It was clear this morning, but around 11 it was overcast and a very slight drizzle of rain right before noon. Cleared back up around 2:30 or so.

Weather report this morning said there was a very good chance of clouds and/or rain on Monday.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I'm directly in the center of the path. Schools will be closed along with many businesses. There's expected to be about 1 million plus extra people flooding to the tri county area. Traffic, cell phone towers will be jammed, and a spike in fuel costs has made this thing more of a pain in the ass. In the SE, it will only last for about a minute and a half. As opposed to the NW, where you will get about 2 and a half minutes of darkness. 

will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    I'm directly in the center of the path. Schools will be closed along with many businesses. There's expected to be about 1 million plus extra people flooding to the tri county area. Traffic, cell phone towers will be jammed, and a spike in fuel costs has made this thing more of a pain in the ass. In the SE, it will only last for about a minute and a half. As opposed to the NW, where you will get about 2 and a half minutes of darkness. 

Yea I was gonna head down to Tennessee last minute with a friend, but I'm gonna pass. My gf talked me out of it. It's gonna be insane down there and we're without a reservation or a clue. Good luck to all that are traveling and I hope the weather turns out to be nice. Imagine the impact these eclipses used to have when they would happen unexpectedly. People probably thought the world was coming to an end. I'll catch the next total eclipse up here in 2024.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dankind said:
    It might fry your lens. 

Don't look directly at the Sun unless it's fully occluded, even the slivers coming from a 90 some percent eclipse carry enough radiation to cause retinopathy if you look for long.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    It might fry your lens. 
    Really!?! I didn't know that camera lenses could get fried.

I don't know if I'll be particularly aggrieved if I lose the front-facing one, though. I mostly use the rear-facing camera -- it takes better pictures. I think I'll risk it. I'll just use my camera app and view the eclipse on my phone's screen.

My wife's nerd shop think tank has the glasses. but they're not handing them out till Monday. We're leaving town tomorrow. :angry:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    what if you do a selfie with the eclipse in the background? lol
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Im going to get another pair of glasses to use one of the lenses over my camera. That way I'll hopefully get good pics of the eclipse. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    My house will have better than 90% totality and I'm about an hour without traffic from 100%.
    Might get on my bicycle and head south about 30 miles.
    Still not sure if I'll  hit the road or not.
    Either way it will be fun.
  • Options
    Im going to get another pair of glasses to use one of the lenses over my camera. That way I'll hopefully get good pics of the eclipse. 
    A pair for Alli?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    Will polarized lenses be safe enough?
    No. You need the ones specially designed for an eclipse. And there are precious few available right now. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    dankind said:
    A pair for Alli?
    Alli won't be eclipsing. He has a head injury from the accident. He wasn't buckled in. No I wasn't driving.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    A pair for Alli?
    Alli won't be eclipsing. He has a head injury from the accident. He wasn't buckled in. No I wasn't driving.
    I trust the driver is dead and buried for such negligence.

Or have you gone soft?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Depends on % of totality.  Essentially, no, not at all.
    At 100 there's no problem with naked eye.  Anything below that and there's danger.  
    The problem is, you can get solar retinopathy without discomfort because there's is a slightly delayed inflammatory response that actually causes the retinopathy.  So maybe you look at a 90% eclipsed sun with sunglasses for 5 minutes and you don't feel bad, and then later it swells and hurts and you have permanent, irreversible vision loss.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    In 4th grade (1984?) the last solar eclipse I really remember.  it was around lunch time and everyone went outside to see it, it was pretty cool.  although don't remember wearing glasses or anything, maybe we had the paper plates with holes in them. 

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    In 4th grade (1984?) the last solar eclipse I really remember.  it was around lunch time and everyone went outside to see it, it was pretty cool.  although don't remember wearing glasses or anything, maybe we had the paper plates with holes in them. 

I remember that Dave. I was in elementary school and we looked down into boxes. 
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    It's already crazy here in Oregon. Gas stations are running out of gas and traffic is already backed up for miles.

I'm only about 40 miles from totality but we're making a trip over the cascades. Leaving in the morning probably really early to try and avoid some of the traffic. Although we'll be out for 3 days and had plans for some other hiking it seems we may be stuck at our campground.
    #FHP
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    Hell no.  

To give you an idea, you will need to wear what a welder wears.  Particularly a Tig welder, so a #13 darkness lens.

Sunglasses at best are a #3.  Cutting goggles for when you use a torch are #5.  Normal welding lenses are #9-11.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I'm here in Myrtle Beach, will have a very good look at this.
    I plan on wearing a pair of swimming goggles and the granny/Stevie Wonder shades. Should be good to go.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Hell no.  

To give you an idea, you will need to wear what a welder wears.  Particularly a Tig welder, so a #13 darkness lens.

Sunglasses at best are a #3.  Cutting goggles for when you use a torch are #5.  Normal welding lenses are #9-11.
    Hahaha!  Hell no is right. You'll be staring directly at the sun.  I have glasses from the planetarium in Chicago, they are so dark and thick I can't see anything through them except the sun.
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Yeah they are so dark all things except the sun are blocked out. I  read welders goggles should be a 14 to be safe. Hope everyone has a safe and inspiring view when the sun is eclipsed by the mooonnn.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    I ordered a record this morning and got a nice note back saying, "Will ship Monday or Tuesday if possible- depends on the eclipse traffic."  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    You can check your eclipse percentage and see a nice graphic of how it will look here:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Very cool, B.

During this, don't forget to look after your pets, people!
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Very cool, B.

During this, don't forget to look after your pets, people!
    I will make sure Annie doesn't stare at the sun!  :smiley:

• Options
    My husband laughed at me for that too :blush:

But the odd change in timing of light could mess with them in ways.  I heard that birds and other animals might revert to nocturnal behaviors.