Poll--The Weakest Link: Rearviewmirror Winner -- Black

Comments

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Black
    This is bullshit. Utter bullshit.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Rearviewmirror
    Hard choice. So many memories of hearing Black.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Black
    This is bullshit. Utter bullshit.
    It's a conspiracy, ND.  They're doing it to spite us.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Black
    The winners list for this epic poll journey is actually going to be pretty boring, lol. Just another greatest hits list for the most part. I suppose I should have expected that, but I thought maybe, just maybe, the serious fans would have gone a slightly different way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Rearviewmirror
    PJ_Soul said:
    The winners list for this epic poll journey is actually going to be pretty boring, lol. Just another greatest hits list for the most part. I suppose I should have expected that, but I thought maybe, just maybe, the serious fans would have gone a slightly different way.
    I always scratch my head when people suggest that 'serious fans' should vote/want for things other than hits.
    Hey, you can certainly choose what you like...but for my two cents there is a reason many of these songs were hits.  Maybe they stand out from the rest because they are better songs?

Does that mean I do not love Sad or Strangest Tribe?  Hell no, those are awesome songs. 

Why does saying you prefer a deep cut over the likes of Alive or Black make you any more 'serious' a fan? 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Black
    PJ_Soul said:
    I always scratch my head when people suggest that 'serious fans' should vote/want for things other than hits.
    Hey, you can certainly choose what you like...but for my two cents there is a reason many of these songs were hits.  Maybe they stand out from the rest because they are better songs?

Does that mean I do not love Sad or Strangest Tribe?  Hell no, those are awesome songs. 

Why does saying you prefer a deep cut over the likes of Alive or Black make you any more 'serious' a fan? 
    She was saying that the more serious fans are here as opposed to some joe blow public poll. And that she was surprised, as some of us were, that there wasn't more diversity in the selections. All roads just led to mediocre city.(ok that last sentence may be my personal opinion.)

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Rearviewmirror
    Yeah, I get it if you don't like certain songs that much...but I think these polls show that the songs that are hits resonate with the fan club types also.  (We are more likely know the rest of the catalog and (amazingly so) are more likely to clap for songs like Bee Girl....) 

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Black
    Yeah, I get it if you don't like certain songs that much...but I think these polls show that the songs that are hits resonate with the fan club types also.  (We are more likely know the rest of the catalog and (amazingly so) are more likely to clap for songs like Bee Girl....) 

I hear/like what you're saying but I'm not sure if I would be clapping for Bee Girl. ;)
    Rearviewmirror
    rummy said:

I hear/like what you're saying but I'm not sure if I would be clapping for Bee Girl. ;)
    I've seen it multiple times and clapped.  I do not think it is a very good song.  :lol:
    edited August 2017
    Black
    In terms of a "non-hit" winning, maybe some some of you were referring to songs like Animal, Immortality, or SoLaT. Yes, they were semi-big but no where near as big as Black, Jeremy, Even Flow, Alive, Daughter, Corduroy, and Better Man.

edited August 2017
    Black
    PJ_Soul said:

Because casual fans never even heard of the deeper cuts so choosing those isn't even an option. I feel like "serious" fans are simply all aware of all the songs that weren't radio hits, and IMHO, those songs are often much better than the radio hits are (I do indeed think that is the case for PJ for the most part, so I am surprised that the majority of the serious fans here still choose the radio hits at the end of the day. I just would have thought otherwise, since they are all aware of how awesome the deeper cuts are. Obviously, they also think the radio hits are the superior songs... I happen to disagree more often than not, and no, it's not because I've got a hipster mindset, lol! ;) ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Black
    Imagine if Of The Earth had been studio recorded & on some release.  I'd be the only one voting it off.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Rearviewmirror
    Imagine if Of The Earth had been studio recorded & on some release.  I'd be the only one voting it off.
    I'd be right there with you. Fine song but far from great.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited August 2017
    Black
    JimmyV said:
    I'd vote it off too. I think it's only okay.
    Black
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    I've never understood the love for it (but to each his/her own). It always seems so "harsh."
  • Black
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    I've never understood the love for it (but to each his/her own). It always seems so "harsh."
    The entire bridge section with the tempo change is spectacular. 
    Black
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    Just had a listen to what you are talking about. Reminds me of something...Led Zeppelin?
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Black
    i wanted RVM to win but i voted for Black.. did I Mess up?  probably did

So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Black
    Lizard said:
    i wanted RVM to win but i voted for Black.. did I Mess up?  probably did

No! You did exactly right!!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited August 2017
    Black
    rummy said:
    whoanelly15 said: mo
    rummy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    Just had a listen to what you are talking about. Reminds me of something...Led Zeppelin?
    It's a great live song. That raw harsh edge that it has translates great live, if they do it right(like in Denver '14). I don't think it would be a good studio song for those same exact reasons. That being said I would probably vote it off, unless it was up against YL and Black. Then it would be OTE all the fucking way for the win. =)

• joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Rearviewmirror
    I'd vote it off first round with you.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
    Black
    Gotta say I'm surprised at the OTE responses.  I thought it was the be all and end all of Pearl Jam songs around here. :lol:
    Black
    How does RVM not win the RVM album?  That's like firing Van Halen from Van Halen.

Vote for Black! Make RVM RVM again!!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Rearviewmirror
    Gotta say I'm surprised at the OTE responses.  I thought it was the be all and end all of Pearl Jam songs around here. :lol:

I think much of the buzz comes from it being relatively new and rarely played in the US. So for many, those of us Ed refers to as "the serious collector", it's an important song to hear live. More about completing a collection than chasing the song because they love it. IMO

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Black
    How does RVM not win the RVM album?  That's like firing Van Halen from Van Halen.

Vote for Black! Make RVM RVM again!!
    Vote for Black because it's just the right thing to do.

Rearviewmirror
    JimmyV said:

I think much of the buzz comes from it being relatively new and rarely played in the US. So for many, those of us Ed refers to as "the serious collector", it's an important song to hear live. More about completing a collection than chasing the song because they love it. IMO
    I listen to the version recorded at TMR and it blows my head up.  Love it.  Sure, I would love to see it, but for me it is just a kick ass song.  Rocks pretty damn hard at a time when much of what the band is putting out does not rock quite as hard.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Rearviewmirror
    OTE vs. Yellow Ledbetter....who ya got? Lol 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Black
    I need to find 8 people that absolutely love rvm....
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2017
    Black
    Seven people can't come out to vote RVM for the sake of a friendly tie? This poll is nuts.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Black
    Seven people can't come out to vote RVM for the sake of a friendly tie? This poll is nuts.
    You got one, six to go!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.