Solar Eclipse

This is a big deal in my neck of the woods. I'm only about 40 miles from the path of totality. We're actually planning on going a little further and camping in Central Oregon near Madras. Locals are being warned of the influx of visitors and to be prepared as if a natural disaster was happening.

Anyone else interested in this event? What are your plans?
#FHP

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I'll  be In Nebraska hoping to be in the path of totality but getting to 90-95% will be easy.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm just blown away by the term "path of totality".  Sounds ominous yet (ironically) enlightening.

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ True. True ;)  I'm heading to my sister's house in Sullivan's Island, SC right outside of Charleston. Expecting 1 minute and 40 seconds of total darkness. 
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    When is this going down??
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Horos said:
    This is a big deal in my neck of the woods. I'm only about 40 miles from the path of totality. We're actually planning on going a little further and camping in Central Oregon near Madras. Locals are being warned of the influx of visitors and to be prepared as if a natural disaster was happening.

We'll be just north of you in Maupin. Actually, we'll be on the Deschutes River whitewater rafting. The eclipse will occur while floating a calm part of the river. Should be cool. :sunglasses:
    When is this going down??
    Monday, 8/21/17
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Hobbes said:
    Horos said:

We'll be just north of you in Maupin. Actually, we'll be on the Deschutes River whitewater rafting. The eclipse will occur while floating a calm part of the river. Should be cool. :sunglasses:
    Sounds cool. We're planning on hiking up Smith Rock to watch from there.The shadow is supposed to cover Mt. Jefferson
    #FHP
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    We thought about going.  We're about an eight hour drive south of where it will eclipse up in Oregon.  But then I ran into a lady I know who said she felt lucky to get a motel room up around Bend, OR for only $600 per night!  She said most of them up there were going for around $800 during the eclipse.  For that much money I'll wait for you to post some picture, Horos!  

Sounds like it will be very cool to watch.  Enjoy it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Holy shit.  Thanks to this thread I just discovered that the path of totality crosses my favourite mountain bald in Pisgah National Forrest!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    brianlux said:
    We thought about going.  We're about an eight hour drive south of where it will eclipse up in Oregon.  But then I ran into a lady I know who said she felt lucky to get a motel room up around Bend, OR for only $600 per night!  She said most of them up there were going for around $800 during the eclipse.  For that much money I'll wait for you to post some picture, Horos!  

Took me a couple of weeks to find a campground with an opening. Several campgrounds don't normally take reservations but they decided to open them up for that time period and they were booked in like 15 minutes. ODOT is expecting traffic to come to a standstill during the eclipse.

On the subject of hotels, someone told me the ones in Lincoln City(the first place the eclipse will make landfall) didn't realize the eclipse was coming and thus cancelled all reservations and offered bookings at a higher price.
    #FHP
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Horos said:
    brianlux said:

Took me a couple of weeks to find a campground with an opening. Several campgrounds don't normally take reservations but they decided to open them up for that time period and they were booked in like 15 minutes. ODOT is expecting traffic to come to a standstill during the eclipse.

On the subject of hotels, someone told me the ones in Lincoln City(the first place the eclipse will make landfall) didn't realize the eclipse was coming and thus cancelled all reservations and offered bookings at a higher price.
    Sounds like it will be part solar eclipse, part "The Day the Earth Stood Still"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    Holy shit.  Thanks to this thread I just discovered that the path of totality crosses my favourite mountain bald in Pisgah National Forrest!
    I was originally shooting to view it in the Asheville area. That whole area is amazing and to see the eclipse there would be phenomenal! I checked around at several hotels and campgrounds and it seems the same issue as some of these other places... no rooms or sites left. Or the prices are marked up. I didn't look into Mt. Pisgah. I hope you can find a spot!! I will be traveling the four hour drive from Wilmington to Charleston in hopes that the interstate is not a parking lot like predicted.
    rgambs said:
    I was originally shooting to view it in the Asheville area. That whole area is amazing and to see the eclipse there would be phenomenal! I checked around at several hotels and campgrounds and it seems the same issue as some of these other places... no rooms or sites left. Or the prices are marked up. I didn't look into Mt. Pisgah. I hope you can find a spot!! I will be traveling the four hour drive from Wilmington to Charleston in hopes that the interstate is not a parking lot like predicted.
    Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Well, we do need roads, but we don't need campgrounds lol
    We will camp for free in Pisgah NF, there's always spots open once you get a few miles out.
    ^^ Ha ha! Yess! My mom is coming with me so she needs a place without a ton of hiking. I'm sure you will find the perfect spot!! Beach or mountains, it's gonna be incredible. Enjoy!
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Less than a week away!!!  Going on a wing n prayer driving south from Raleigh to Sumter sc late Sunday night and napping in the car once we pick a likely viewing spot. Hoping for a clear cloud fee view!  Looking forward to seeing an awesome beautiful natural occurance to remind me that there is still so much beauty in the world in spite of the ugliness humans create.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I hope all who has the opportunity to see it will have a good time, I've only seen a partly eclipse, had special glass to look at the sun with remember to bring that.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Lucky me just chillin in Asheville. Helps when you just live in the right place at the right time.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Lucky me just chillin in Asheville. Helps when you just live in the right place at the right time.
    Woot woot!  I'm coming down to Black Balsam in the Pisgah District outside of Brevard, do you know it?

I would get up on a mountain if you can, in town is no kind of place from which to view such a magnificent celestial event.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    camsjam said:
    Less than a week away!!!  Going on a wing n prayer driving south from Raleigh to Sumter sc late Sunday night and napping in the car once we pick a likely viewing spot. Hoping for a clear cloud fee view!  Looking forward to seeing an awesome beautiful natural occurance to remind me that there is still so much beauty in the world in spite of the ugliness humans create.
    Midlands of SC are going to be crazy. We're expecting over 1 million people coming to Columbia. I'm honestly not sure if the city can support this massive influx of people all at one time. I'm taking the day off just in case it's too crazy.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I think I'm going to partake in this.  I have a welding helmet that I'm using.  

What is everyone else using?
    I think I'm going to partake in this.  I have a welding helmet that I'm using.  

What is everyone else using?
    I got a dozen pairs of glasses for free online like 6 months ago,

Some of the towns here in Oregon are expecting to be so over crowded that they'll run out of fuel and water and other supplies. The hype is everywhere.
    #FHP
    I'm camping the day before and the day after. Usually when camping I expect to escape from people. Not going to happen this time.
    #FHP
    I hope everyone goes and gets a hotel and watches it from the parking lot so that I can enjoy the mountains lol
    We will sleep at the trailhead and have our spot staked out about 4 miles down the trail by the time most of the fatties get out of bed and put on their new sunhats.
    Still, I'm expecting a shit show getting down off the Blue Ridge Parkway after it's over. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    rgambs said:
    I hope everyone goes and gets a hotel and watches it from the parking lot so that I can enjoy the mountains lol
    We will sleep at the trailhead and have our spot staked out about 4 miles down the trail by the time most of the fatties get out of bed and put on their new sunhats.
    Still, I'm expecting a shit show getting down off the Blue Ridge Parkway after it's over. 
    Always take the extra day before and after!
    rgambs said:
    Always take the extra day before and after!
    Oh yeah, we have Tuesday off, we will probably chill at the trailhead long enough to make dinner.  It's gonna be hot as balls and that's going to make me irritable.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    rgambs said:
    Woot woot!  I'm coming down to Black Balsam in the Pisgah District outside of Brevard, do you know it?

I would get up on a mountain if you can, in town is no kind of place from which to view such a magnificent celestial event.
    I just moved here at the end of April. So I know where Brevard is but not the specific area you are going to be in. I haven't figured out where I will be on Monday yet. The in laws are here for the weekend and leave Monday morning so it's going to be tight where ever I end up.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    camsjam said:
    Midlands of SC are going to be crazy. We're expecting over 1 million people coming to Columbia. I'm honestly not sure if the city can support this massive influx of people all at one time. I'm taking the day off just in case it's too crazy.
    You're smart. Columbia should be crazy. I'd love to get to the river walk there but I am going for a small-scale city hoping it might be easier. Have you been getting a lot of cloud cover down there? Our sky was completely overcast up here.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I have to say I had no idea people would go so far out of their way to experience this. I remember there being a solar eclipse when I was in school, all those years ago. I don't recall much fuss being made about it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2017
    We should be getting 92% coverage here apparently. I'll be at work I think - if I remember to grab some eclipse glasses at the drug store I'll go up on the roof and check it out. There was a total eclipse of the sun when I was a little kid back in the early 80s and I didn't see shit using the crappy shadow viewer things that my teacher had us make. Total eclipse fail, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    We should be getting 92% coverage here apparently. I'll be at work I think - if I remember to grab some eclipse glasses at the drug store I'll go up on the roof and check it out. There was a total eclipse of the sun when I was a little kid back in the early 80s and I didn't see shit using the crappy shadow viewer things that my teacher had us make. Total eclipse fail, lol.
    Ha ha! That's exactly my memory too. Science class fail. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf