Options

Cell phone talkers as bad as drunk drivers

SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
edited January 2013 in A Moving Train
Cell phone talkers as bad as drunk drivers

More study participants rear-ended car while on cell phones than drunk

WASHINGTON - People who talk on cell phones while driving, even using "hands-free" devices, are as impaired as drunk drivers, researchers said Thursday.

"If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving," said Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Utah who worked on the study.

The researchers used a driving simulation device for their study, published in the summer 2006 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.

They studied 40 volunteers who used a driving simulator four times — while undistracted, using a handheld cell phone, using a hands-free cell phone and while intoxicated to a 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level — the average legal level of impairment in the United States — after drinking vodka and orange juice.

Three study participants rear-ended the simulated car in front of them. All were talking on cellphones and none was drunk, the researchers said.

Motorists who talked on either handheld or hands-free cell phones drove slightly more slowly, were 9 percent slower to hit the brakes, and varied their speed more than undistracted drivers.

Drivers with an 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level drove a bit more slowly than both undistracted drivers and telephone users, yet more aggressively.

Cell phone signal excites brain — is it harmful?

"Driving while talking on a cell phone is as bad as or maybe worse than driving drunk," said Drews, who said alcohol was involved in 40 percent of the 42,000 annual U.S. traffic fatalities.

Just like many people who have been drinking, the cell phone users did not believe themselves to be affected, the researchers found.
"Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Nothing like lighting my smoke, whilst tuning in my fave radio station, while calling my friend in the back seat of my car because he can't hear me over the stereo system, to tell him to grab another beer out of the cooler. All while checking out that hot chick walking down the sidewalk. ;) Driving is simple when you know how to do it.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
    even flow? wrote:
    ... while calling my friend in the back seat of my car because he can't hear me over the stereo system...

:D That comment reminds me of when I was at a night club in Paris. Everyone kept calling eachother because they couldn't hear their friends (who were right next to eachother) talk over the music.
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    even flow? wrote:
    Nothing like lighting my smoke, whilst tuning in my fave radio station, while calling my friend in the back seat of my car because he can't hear me over the stereo system, to tell him to grab another beer out of the cooler. All while checking out that hot chick walking down the sidewalk. ;) Driving is simple when you know how to do it.

classic right there...
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    even flow? wrote:

i remember checking out the neighbor girl undressing while i pulled away from a friends house, when i got a little too excited and slammed into a parked car...

good times

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Bumpiddy
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I've sadly come to the point where, when I'm sitting at a light, or waiting for the turn signal, I almost expect to get rear-ended by the person behind me who I CAN SEE is focused on their motherfuckin all-important phone.

Quick glances up, then back down.

When did this mindset take over?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    I saw a statistic the other day that showed that the average 20something American sends over 40,000 texts per year :fp: :o

Thats a lot of looking down :shock:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    saw a guy today as close as his phone was to his face I think he needs glasses.

BUT it did make me want to cut in front of him and slam on my brakes.
    I could use a new car.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Imagine how bad a drunk driver on a cell phone must be.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I'll take drunks over texters any day.

When I answer a call on my phone while driving, I swear it takes away 50% of my driving awareness. I try not to do it unless its an emergency.

Driving loaded is a piece of cake. Just keep your hand in the 12 o'clock position with the pinky / index "devil horns" and keep the road paving lines between them. (i kid, i kid).
  • Options
    Wow! A blast from the past.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Jason P wrote:

When I answer a call on my phone while driving, I swear it takes away 50% of my driving awareness. I try not to do it unless its an emergency.

Driving loaded is a piece of cake. Just keep your hand in the 12 o'clock position with the pinky / index "devil horns" and keep the road paving lines between them. (i kid, i kid).

I've taken probably 2 calls when driving a long time ago, and I can tell that my perception of what's around me is like being in a tunnel. I don't know how others don't notice this.
  • Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I've taken probably 2 calls when driving a long time ago, and I can tell that my perception of what's around me is like being in a tunnel. I don't know how others don't notice this.
    I think it's the "I must be available to everyone at all times because I am important and indispensable" syndrome.

Last month, as a quasi-experiment, I attempted to reply to a text while doing other shit and walked into the wall in our hallway.

Worth it? :nono:

Never again!

And while driving? Phone's always in my purse.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Technology being suggested that somehow disables cell phones in a vehicle. The article raises some interesting questions but doesn't provide any answers. How does this work? Can you still use your GPS? Does it affect every cell in the car (not the app they refer to; obviously that only affects the phone it's on, but the other types of technology)? If so, there are going to be some unhappy passengers.

Is there anyone out there familiar with this technology that can shed some light?

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/icbc-mulls-discounts-for-drivers-who-disable-their-smartphones-1.21881701

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    You forgot while eating a cheeseburger from McDonalds...  :rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I love technology, but I don't believe technology is a solution to non-technological problems. I work in IT on a college campus, and sometimes people will want us to block access for some folks, but not others. One time, I did set up a block on someone's access to Facebook and they asked me what happened because his office mate can still FB. I let them know their boss requested a block. Boss comes back to me pissed off. I calmly reminded her of the conversation I had with her that she's going down a slippery slope and best manage the employee, not around the employee. She re-instated permissions and continues to complain about person being on FB all the time. Ugh.

The correlation to the disabling of cell phones while driving? Technical solutions will not fix a human problem. People just need to do what's right, and realize the rules they follow are there to protect them, too. We're going to end up wrapped in a world of virtual bubble wrap where people will assume they can do what they want until something beeps at them. Like walk of a cliff while playing Pokemon Go.  

I'm all for safety measures, like ground fault circuit breakers and baby gates at the top of stairs, barbed wire fences around power stations, etc. Identity protection online, two-factor authentication, password security questions. But if someone can get behind the wheel and drive, they shouldn't NEED something in place to keep them from using their phone. It is all creating a false sense of security, imo.

Maybe cell phone users should have to check a box on their phone that says, "Yes, I'm operating my phone while driving. If I run over a kid, a kid's pet, or a kid's grandma, I'll volunteer my body to science within the next 2 weeks because it's worth it."

It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    PJinIL said:
    I love technology, but I don't believe technology is a solution to non-technological problems. I work in IT on a college campus, and sometimes people will want us to block access for some folks, but not others. One time, I did set up a block on someone's access to Facebook and they asked me what happened because his office mate can still FB. I let them know their boss requested a block. Boss comes back to me pissed off. I calmly reminded her of the conversation I had with her that she's going down a slippery slope and best manage the employee, not around the employee. She re-instated permissions and continues to complain about person being on FB all the time. Ugh.

The correlation to the disabling of cell phones while driving? Technical solutions will not fix a human problem. People just need to do what's right, and realize the rules they follow are there to protect them, too. We're going to end up wrapped in a world of virtual bubble wrap where people will assume they can do what they want until something beeps at them. Like walk of a cliff while playing Pokemon Go.  

I'm all for safety measures, like ground fault circuit breakers and baby gates at the top of stairs, barbed wire fences around power stations, etc. Identity protection online, two-factor authentication, password security questions. But if someone can get behind the wheel and drive, they shouldn't NEED something in place to keep them from using their phone. It is all creating a false sense of security, imo.

Maybe cell phone users should have to check a box on their phone that says, "Yes, I'm operating my phone while driving. If I run over a kid, a kid's pet, or a kid's grandma, I'll volunteer my body to science within the next 2 weeks because it's worth it."

Amen to the bolded parts.  Common sense and courtesy...so damned simple, all too rare.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    How about the people who read or put on make up while driving?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    KC138045 said:
    How about the people who read or put on make up while driving?
    and don't forget those who ride around with their dogs on their lap. 

i've answered a few times while driving using hands-free but agree with the above. it immediately takes away at least 50% of your awareness. you have to worry about today's generation that is attached to their phones every waking hour.  unfortunately i think it will take near misses for that generation to realize how dangerous it is.
  • Options
    I just think that if you're driving, then fucking drive!  You're in control of a heavy machine capable of incredible damage and worse.

We have a narrow street behind my work, and too many times have I seen people driving while actually look down at their phones.

Idjits.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJinIL said:

I appreciate your response. The angle about the article that interested me was that drivers would voluntarily agree to accept this cell blocker, whatever format it was, in order to get lower premiums on their car insurance. Assuming you are responsible and are not going to be texting and driving anyway, it may be worth it to get cheaper insurance but I would want to know all the implications.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    hedonist said:
    I just think that if you're driving, then fucking drive!  You're in control of a heavy machine capable of incredible damage and worse.

We have a narrow street behind my work, and too many times have I seen people driving while actually look down at their phones.

Idjits.
    This!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Washington State just enacted a new E-DUI law which went into effect 3 weeks ago. Distracted driving due to the use of electronics is basically being treated the same way a DUI is. If you hold your phone in your hands (even while stopped at a light) and a cop sees you, you're busted. The ticket will also go on your record and insurance companies are treating it as a moving violation, so rates will go up as a result. I don't fiddle with my phone while driving, so this will have no negative impact on me. I'm glad the idiots who text while driving will now be slapped around a bit.
    New E-DUI Law Allows Police to Pull You Over for Holding Electronic Device in Washington State
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    It is staggering the amount of people I see texting while driving when I'm waiting for the bus in the morning. I have often thought of tossing something at their car (that inflicts no damage) but it wakes them up to stop. But I'd probably end up pissing off the wrong person.

I have even actually seen someone reading a book, and another person reading the fucking newspaper while driving. it is beyond maddening. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    Washington State just enacted a new E-DUI law which went into effect 3 weeks ago. Distracted driving due to the use of electronics is basically being treated the same way a DUI is. If you hold your phone in your hands (even while stopped at a light) and a cop sees you, you're busted. The ticket will also go on your record and insurance companies are treating it as a moving violation, so rates will go up as a result. I don't fiddle with my phone while driving, so this will have no negative impact on me. I'm glad the idiots who text while driving will now be slapped around a bit.
    New E-DUI Law Allows Police to Pull You Over for Holding Electronic Device in Washington State
    I hope it works up your way, Jeff.  I'm told that here in California texting and talking of cell phones is so common that people are rarely stopped (I can believe it) and if there are stopped, they can say something like, "I was just getting it off the dash and out of my way," and get away with it.  It's hard to go anywhere down here and not see someone on their cell phone.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    It is staggering the amount of people I see texting while driving when I'm waiting for the bus in the morning. I have often thought of tossing something at their car (that inflicts no damage) but it wakes them up to stop. But I'd probably end up pissing off the wrong person.

I have even actually seen someone reading a book, and another person reading the fucking newspaper while driving. it is beyond maddening. 
    Scary, but a little impressed. I have a hard enough time reading the paper at the breakfast table. I hate reading half a story then flipping to B9 to finish, while all the other sections fall out.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited August 2017
    I mean it kinda makes sense. When you're talking on the phone you're mind is occupied somewhere else. When you're drunk you are still present, just impaired. You could definitely make an argument that talking/texting on a phone is worse than drunk driving. Both are bad.

Just be present at the wheel, it's not that difficult.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    I mean it kinda makes sense. When you're talking on the phone you're mind is occupied somewhere else. When you're drunk you are still present, just impaired. You could definitely make an argument that talking/texting on a phone is worse than drunk driving. Both are bad.

Just be present at the wheel, it's not that difficult.
    ...and this! 

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The talking isnt so bad, as it is the looking at the phone, navigating, dialing, texting, browsing, etc.

It needs to stop right now
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited August 2017
    Cell phone use while driving:
    I will NEVER understand what's so god damned important that it can't wait 5-10 minutes until you get to your destination or pull off in the nearest parking lot to respond.